Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Religion, God, and Theology Discussion of God, religion, faith, theology, and spirituality.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2010, 02:14 AM   #126
DannyOcean_
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
DannyOcean_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: The Bellagio vault
Posts: 28,341
Re: ****Official RGT video thread****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arouet View Post
Christianity did borrow from nearby religions, just not the ones in the movie, or at least the movie way overstated the similarities. There's a website you can probably track down that goes through it point by point. it's a shame, since the basic point is valid.
I agree with this post. They exaggerate or even fabricate a lot of the supposed links, which muddies their original point, which is a good one.
DannyOcean_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:57 PM   #127
checkm8
old hand
 
checkm8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,497
Re: ****Official RGT video thread****

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMoogle View Post
Are you theist (i.e. do you believe in a deity or deities)? If not, you're atheist (i.e. you lack a belief in a deity or deities). You have to be one or the other, you can't be neither and you can't be both. Gnosticism is irrelevant.
I do not fit into your imposed framework, sorry. I do not know one way or the other, and because of a glaring lack of evidence both ways I do not form an opinion on something that is unknowable.
checkm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:58 PM   #128
checkm8
old hand
 
checkm8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,497
Re: ****Official RGT video thread****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanb9 View Post
YOU SHOULD NOT BE AN ATHEIST, YOU NEED GOD TO TELL YOU WHAT IS RIGHT AND WRONG. GTFO
WTF, GTFO TROLLPANTIES. I triangle choke your reason.
checkm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:21 AM   #129
DMoogle
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
DMoogle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern VA, USA
Posts: 6,961
Re: ****Official RGT video thread****

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkm8 View Post
I do not fit into your imposed framework, sorry. I do not know one way or the other, and because of a glaring lack of evidence both ways I do not form an opinion on something that is unknowable.
Lack of opinion -> lack of belief -> atheist.

You seem to have the (common) misconception that to be an atheist means that you believe there are no deities. That's only one type of atheism (it is commonly referred to as strong atheism). To be an atheist is to simply lack a belief in deities. If you have no opinion, then by default you are an atheist.

FWIW I thought I called myself an agnostic for like 10 years before I learned that what I really meant was that I was an atheist. I, like you, have not seen convincing evidence that deities do or do not exist, so I don't believe in them (which does NOT mean I believe they don't exist). So, I'm an atheist. And so are you. We are weak atheists.

Here's some really good reading material that explains exactly what this means: http://atheism.about.com/od/aboutath...atheism101.htm

Last edited by DMoogle; 02-28-2010 at 12:29 AM.
DMoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:56 AM   #130
nittyit
old hand
 
nittyit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,541
Re: ****Official RGT video thread****

William Lane Craig & Hector Avalos - Resurrection of Jesus: Fact or Fiction?

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...0DA93D1185EFE3
nittyit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:12 PM   #131
Borodog
Enemy of the State
 
Borodog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: I Didn't Vote, Bitch
Posts: 25,491
Re: ****Official RGT video thread****

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RRs7fXjs_w
Borodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:51 PM   #132
always_sunni_
old hand
 
always_sunni_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: old school online player
Posts: 1,263
Re: ****Official RGT video thread****

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittyit View Post
William Lane Craig & Hector Avalos - Resurrection of Jesus: Fact or Fiction?

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...0DA93D1185EFE3
Avalos is terrible in this video. He gives the same argument over and over, and his voice is annoying.

In the Q&A, Avalos refuses to answer one student's question because it isn't phrased "respectfully." Craig gets asked some pretty ridiculous questions, but he answers them as fully as possible.
always_sunni_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:32 AM   #133
Ryanb9
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Ryanb9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NEVA!
Posts: 7,069
Re: ****Official RGT video thread****

Quote:
Originally Posted by always_sunni_ View Post
Avalos is terrible in this video. He gives the same argument over and over, and his voice is annoying.

In the Q&A, Avalos refuses to answer one student's question because it isn't phrased "respectfully." Craig gets asked some pretty ridiculous questions, but he answers them as fully as possible.
Ya hes a one trick pony but his trick is not bad.
Ryanb9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:21 PM   #134
brandx
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 200
Re: ****Official RGT video thread****

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-In Flynn View Post
Having recently seen it, I'd recommend anyone and everyone to watch Marjoe. It looks like the whole thing can be seen on youtube, but it's out on DVD, Netflix, Rapidshare, etc.

I think it's particularly interesting because at that time the whole big-tent evangelism thing was something of a fringe phenomenon. Amazing that an Oscar-winning documentary which essentially claims the entire thing is a hustle didn't prevent it becoming a billion-dollar industry.
The MarJoe video was special for me as I spent the first 20 years of my life in this denomination.

Btw, I agree with another poster that liked you old avatar.

TheStallion76 on youtube does some very interesting phone calls to various churchs and ask the preachers to explain various verses. He has many videos in this format. I’ll give you three. I believe that both the theist and atheist will find them interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1Upip_0bEo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAquNPFeEYw

http://www.mefeedia.com/watch/29118927
brandx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:51 PM   #135
Ryanb9
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Ryanb9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NEVA!
Posts: 7,069
Re: ****Official RGT video thread****

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandx View Post
Very nice. I enjoyed this.
Ryanb9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:14 PM   #136
Splendour
banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Don't forget. You are loved by God.
Posts: 18,896
Re: ****Official RGT video thread****

An interview of Bruce Chilton the author of Rabbi Jesus discussing the early history of Jesus and his Judaic roots:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBTJprIBfkc
Splendour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 01:42 AM   #137
Ryanb9
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Ryanb9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NEVA!
Posts: 7,069
Re: ****Official RGT video thread****

Ray Comfort runs these streets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvQR4VbkWag
Ryanb9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:19 PM   #138
nittyit
old hand
 
nittyit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,541
Re: ****Official RGT video thread****

New Sam Harris Ted Talk:

Science can answer moral questions
nittyit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:07 PM   #139
Tao1
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Tao1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 6,048
Re: ****Official RGT video thread****

Ive liked most the talks Ive seen of him and this is another good one.
Tao1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:59 AM   #140
nittyit
old hand
 
nittyit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,541
Re: ****Official RGT video thread****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao1 View Post
Ive liked most the talks Ive seen of him and this is another good one.
Better version on youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj9oB4zpHww
nittyit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:27 PM   #141
nittyit
old hand
 
nittyit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,541
Re: ****Official RGT video thread****

Sam Harris v Deepak Chopra - Does God have a future?

http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerindex?id=10174807
nittyit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:36 PM   #142
Tao1
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Tao1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 6,048
Re: ****Official RGT video thread****

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittyit View Post
Sam Harris v Deepak Chopra - Does God have a future?

http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerindex?id=10174807
That was seriously awesome, imo Harris crushed him, albeit a little unfair 2(with shermer)v1(and the women who didnt actually participate in the debate much at all).
Overall good debate that actually sheds light on certain things.

edit: the way phycisist talked (aswell as what he said) at the "scientist takes on deepak" part made a bunch of things clear aswell btw.

Last edited by Tao1; 03-23-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Tao1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:25 PM   #143
thirddan
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: what hump?
Posts: 11,697
Re: ****Official RGT video thread****

Hilariousness and relates to the current thread by melchy about bears...

If religions were real
thirddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:06 PM   #144
skalf
banned
 
skalf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,458
Re: ****Official RGT video thread****

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittyit View Post
Sam Harris v Deepak Chopra - Does God have a future?

http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerindex?id=10174807
Wow Deepak Chopra is a fool; it’s like he thinks he invented God of the gaps, quantum edition.

And what was the deal with that woman? Not one single time did she say anything that had anything to do with what was being discussed.
How can your tag team debate strategy be, to just give random speeches when you get the mike?

Quality stuff, thanks.
skalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:19 PM   #145
thirddan
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: what hump?
Posts: 11,697
Re: ****Official RGT video thread****

Quote:
And what was the deal with that woman? Not one single time did she say anything that had anything to do with what was being discussed.
splendour imo...just kidding

im watching now and thinking the same thing...her time should have been given to the other three to talk more... deepak = dsouza where talking loudly = being correct
thirddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:29 AM   #146
nittyit
old hand
 
nittyit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,541
Re: ****Official RGT video thread****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao1 View Post
That was seriously awesome, imo Harris crushed him, albeit a little unfair 2(with shermer)v1(and the women who didnt actually participate in the debate much at all).
Overall good debate that actually sheds light on certain things.

edit: the way phycisist talked (aswell as what he said) at the "scientist takes on deepak" part made a bunch of things clear aswell btw.
Harris' tweet regarding this debate: "Finished my debate at Caltech -- I think I pushed the edge of civility with Chopra. I was going on 1 hour of sleep. -Sorry Deepak!"
nittyit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:47 AM   #147
nittyit
old hand
 
nittyit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,541
Re: ****Official RGT video thread****

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittyit View Post
Sam Harris v Deepak Chopra - Does God have a future?

http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerindex?id=10174807
It seems they shortened the video in the link above

Here is the youtube version
nittyit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:42 PM   #148
dippy111
old hand
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: HU forum
Posts: 1,695
Re: ****Official RGT video thread****

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittyit View Post
It seems they shortened the video in the link above

Here is the youtube version
Someone should post a version of this with the chick edited out. Seriously.
dippy111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:53 PM   #149
Arouet
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Arouet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 6,433
Re: ****Official RGT video thread****

Quote:
Originally Posted by dippy111 View Post
Someone should post a version of this with the chick edited out. Seriously.
Heh, she really shouldn't have been chosen for the panel! This was an awesome debate. Shermer and Harris were spot on. This was the first time I've really heard Deepak and I must say I was shocked. I'm not saying he was completely terrible - he made some very good points at times and is clearly well read. But I was expecting briliance, giving his reputation, but some of the stuff he was spouting was just pseudoscience fluff - or woowoo as shermer calls it.

However, good listen. Everyone should give it a go!
Arouet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:24 PM   #150
Ryanb9
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Ryanb9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NEVA!
Posts: 7,069
Re: ****Official RGT video thread****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arouet View Post
Heh, she really shouldn't have been chosen for the panel! This was an awesome debate. Shermer and Harris were spot on. This was the first time I've really heard Deepak and I must say I was shocked. I'm not saying he was completely terrible - he made some very good points at times and is clearly well read. But I was expecting briliance, giving his reputation, but some of the stuff he was spouting was just pseudoscience fluff - or woowoo as shermer calls it.

However, good listen. Everyone should give it a go!
I think the lady misunderstood the topic of the debate. She thought it was about acid trips, not god.
Ryanb9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online