Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Religion, God, and Theology Discussion of God, religion, faith, theology, and spirituality.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2021, 01:26 AM   #226
BeaucoupFish
Pooh-Bah
 
BeaucoupFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Touched by His Noodly Appendage
Posts: 4,587
Re: I had a religious experience and itís changed my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagtight View Post
Believe or not, I actually don't try to make every thread about me. It just turns out that way. (Not that I'm complaining, mind you.)
Do you not have any self control in how you post, do you ever ask whether your posts have anything to do with the topic of the thread? If op ever wanted to continue their posts itt, they'd pretty much become invisible amongst all of yours now, wouldn't they? Something to consider?



Quote:
Originally Posted by lagtight View Post

Fulfilled prophecy is one of the 37 reasons I listed in another thread of why the Bible can be trusted as the Word of God. I suspect that most of the other 36 reasons would still hold up even in the absence of fulfilled prophecy.
Clearly, what I am asking is whether prophecy is necessary for your Christian belief. Since you would be a Christian without prophecy, the answer is no, prophecy is not necessary for you to believe Christianity is true. **

Then, what IS necessary for your Christian belief? What factor, if missing or false, would result in you not being a Christian?

I ask because I am quite confident that we could repeat my thought experiment for every item you've listed, and you'd still be a Christian if it wasn't on your list. If that is in fact the case, then what is your belief founded on?

(If you answer the way I think you will, I'll give myself a cookie)


** PS In the other thread, I argued that fulfilled prophecy isn't even sufficient for Christianity. Do you remember?
BeaucoupFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 04:42 AM   #227
lagtight
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
lagtight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 8,121
Re: I had a religious experience and itís changed my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaucoupFish View Post
Do you not have any self control in how you post, do you ever ask whether your posts have anything to do with the topic of the thread? If op ever wanted to continue their posts itt, they'd pretty much become invisible amongst all of yours now, wouldn't they? Something to consider?
No, it is not something for me to consider. That's what Mods are for. I don't recall ever posting in a thread in which what I posted wasn't relevant to an earlier post in the thread.

Quote:
Clearly, what I am asking is whether prophecy is necessary for your Christian belief. Since you would be a Christian without prophecy, the answer is no, prophecy is not necessary for you to believe Christianity is true. **

Then, what IS necessary for your Christian belief? What factor, if missing or false, would result in you not being a Christian?

I ask because I am quite confident that we could repeat my thought experiment for every item you've listed, and you'd still be a Christian if it wasn't on your list. If that is in fact the case, then what is your belief founded on?

(If you answer the way I think you will, I'll give myself a cookie)
Sorry to spoil your dessert plans, but I'm not interested in playing another round of the "contrary-to-fact hypothetical game." None of the 37 reasons I posted in the other thread have been refuted.

Quote:
** PS In the other thread, I argued that fulfilled prophecy isn't even sufficient for Christianity. Do you remember?
I vaguely remember a brief exchange regarding prophecy. Please site the relevant post in the relevant thread to I'll refresh my memory. Thanks.
lagtight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 05:38 AM   #228
BeaucoupFish
Pooh-Bah
 
BeaucoupFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Touched by His Noodly Appendage
Posts: 4,587
Re: I had a religious experience and itís changed my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagtight View Post

Sorry to spoil your dessert plans, but I'm not interested in playing another round of the "contrary-to-fact hypothetical game."
Fortunately for you I didn't ask you to. What I asked was which reason was necessary for your belief in Christianity (I assumed you understand what I mean by necessary).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagtight View Post

None of the 37 reasons I posted in the other thread have been refuted.
None of your reasons appear to have any bearing on whether you would no longer be a Christian if they were missing or false.

Seriously, it's a pretty fundamental question to ask of a theist in a forum about theism. Doubly so, if what you have called the main reason, prophecy, turns out to not be a necessary reason for you to be a Christian.



Do you understand why I'm asking this question?
BeaucoupFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:26 AM   #229
lagtight
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
lagtight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 8,121
Re: I had a religious experience and itís changed my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaucoupFish View Post
Fortunately for you I didn't ask you to. What I asked was which reason was necessary for your belief in Christianity (I assumed you understand what I mean by necessary).


None of your reasons appear to have any bearing on whether you would no longer be a Christian if they were missing or false.


Seriously, it's a pretty fundamental question to ask of a theist in a forum about theism. Doubly so, if what you have called the main reason, prophecy, turns out to not be a necessary reason for you to be a Christian.



Do you understand why I'm asking this question?
Thanks for clarifying the question for me.

The bolded is important because it shows why in my opinion this is a contrary-to-fact hypothetical scenario. I do not believe that it is even possible for a Christian to "no longer be a Christian." I believe in the doctrine of Eternal Security (i.e. a truly born-again follower of Christ cannot "lose" or walk away from the faith.)
lagtight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 02:21 AM   #230
BeaucoupFish
Pooh-Bah
 
BeaucoupFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Touched by His Noodly Appendage
Posts: 4,587
Re: I had a religious experience and itís changed my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagtight View Post
Thanks for clarifying the question for me.



The bolded is important because it shows why in my opinion this is a contrary-to-fact hypothetical scenario.
Hypotheticals can require a person to entertain an idea they don't think is true. How long ago did you teach critical thinking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagtight View Post
I do not believe that it is even possible for a Christian to "no longer be a Christian." I believe in the doctrine of Eternal Security (i.e. a truly born-again follower of Christ cannot "lose" or walk away from the faith.)
I keep asking you why you believe something, and you keep responding with more of what you believe.


I'll be frank: I think it's likely you don't actually know why you believe, something which is probably not that uncommon, or even unexpected, with fundamental religious beliefs. The interesting question though is, if true, can you accept it, and can you re-examine why you believe.

Alternatively, you could just try to explain why you believe rather than more of what you believe?
BeaucoupFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 06:27 AM   #231
RFlushDiamonds
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,555
Re: I had a religious experience and itís changed my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutella virus View Post
You guys coming here to troll religious people is ridiculous, shallow and elementary. It is one thing to take a shot or two, especially in other forums, but to come here day in and day out to pull some pig tails and bully some grade school thinkers is so poignant. You really just come across like complete jerk offs
Yeah. But that's a two way street. They come here because they want to feel persecuted. It's like BDSM or something.

So some people like to feel abused (in a safe way here on an internet forum) and some guys like to dish out a little abuse (again, in a safe way on an internet forum). Win/win really.

If you cut into guys having a serious discussion among themselves then you're more of a jerk off imo. But I well remember being told I'd get straight in to heaven if I died for The Lord. These guys are just earning their wings. lol

Besides, the sooner they figure out it's an inside job and an individual experience for everyone the sooner they'll get on with their own spiritual growth. Yelling scripture at people just isn't a productive use of God's time.
RFlushDiamonds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 12:39 AM   #232
lagtight
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
lagtight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 8,121
Re: I had a religious experience and itís changed my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFlushDiamonds View Post
Yeah. But that's a two way street. They come here because they want to feel persecuted. It's like BDSM or something.
Psychological reductionism is the last refuge of someone without an argument. - Quoting Dennis Prager from memory

Quote:
So some people like to feel abused (in a safe way here on an internet forum) and some guys like to dish out a little abuse (again, in a safe way on an internet forum). Win/win really.

If you cut into guys having a serious discussion among themselves then you're more of a jerk off imo. But I well remember being told I'd get straight in to heaven if I died for The Lord. These guys are just earning their wings. lol
Thank you for sharing what some Bozo told you.

Quote:
Besides, the sooner they figure out it's an inside job and an individual experience for everyone the sooner they'll get on with their own spiritual growth. Yelling scripture at people just isn't a productive use of God's time.
Strawman much? Who around here advocates "yelling Scripture at people."
lagtight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 02:32 AM   #233
BeaucoupFish
Pooh-Bah
 
BeaucoupFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Touched by His Noodly Appendage
Posts: 4,587
Re: I had a religious experience and itís changed my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagtight View Post
Psychological reductionism is the last refuge of someone without an argument. - Quoting Dennis Prager from memory
+
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagtight View Post

Thank you for sharing what some Bozo told you.
=
*chef's kiss*


eta: in the Hitchens vs D'Souza/Prager debate, even D'Souza had to take time out to put Prager in line. Prager is an embarrassment.
BeaucoupFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 02:51 AM   #234
lagtight
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
lagtight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 8,121
Re: I had a religious experience and itís changed my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaucoupFish View Post
+

=
*chef's kiss*


eta: in the Hitchens vs D'Souza/Prager debate, even D'Souza had to take time out to put Prager in line. Prager is an embarrassment.
I don't understand anything in your post.
lagtight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 02:55 AM   #235
BeaucoupFish
Pooh-Bah
 
BeaucoupFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Touched by His Noodly Appendage
Posts: 4,587
Re: I had a religious experience and itís changed my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagtight View Post
I don't understand anything in your post.
Sorry about that.
BeaucoupFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 02:48 PM   #236
TargetedAngel
newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 25
Re: I had a religious experience and itís changed my life

Iíve had some more supernatural things happen.

While going to sleep a couple weeks ago I heard a voice saying ďIím proud of you - my friends name. As if I were hearing a prayer. So I messaged this friend who I hadnít talked to in over a decade and asked if heís been praying for me. He said he has been. So I heard a prayer.

Then I asked him if heís ever felt a shoulder tap after praying. He said yes.
TargetedAngel is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive