Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Religion, God, and Theology Discussion of God, religion, faith, theology, and spirituality.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Today, 01:26 AM   #226
BeaucoupFish
Pooh-Bah
 
BeaucoupFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Touched by His Noodly Appendage
Posts: 4,539
Re: I had a religious experience and itís changed my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagtight View Post
Believe or not, I actually don't try to make every thread about me. It just turns out that way. (Not that I'm complaining, mind you.)
Do you not have any self control in how you post, do you ever ask whether your posts have anything to do with the topic of the thread? If op ever wanted to continue their posts itt, they'd pretty much become invisible amongst all of yours now, wouldn't they? Something to consider?



Quote:
Originally Posted by lagtight View Post

Fulfilled prophecy is one of the 37 reasons I listed in another thread of why the Bible can be trusted as the Word of God. I suspect that most of the other 36 reasons would still hold up even in the absence of fulfilled prophecy.
Clearly, what I am asking is whether prophecy is necessary for your Christian belief. Since you would be a Christian without prophecy, the answer is no, prophecy is not necessary for you to believe Christianity is true. **

Then, what IS necessary for your Christian belief? What factor, if missing or false, would result in you not being a Christian?

I ask because I am quite confident that we could repeat my thought experiment for every item you've listed, and you'd still be a Christian if it wasn't on your list. If that is in fact the case, then what is your belief founded on?

(If you answer the way I think you will, I'll give myself a cookie)


** PS In the other thread, I argued that fulfilled prophecy isn't even sufficient for Christianity. Do you remember?
BeaucoupFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:42 AM   #227
lagtight
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
lagtight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 7,599
Re: I had a religious experience and itís changed my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaucoupFish View Post
Do you not have any self control in how you post, do you ever ask whether your posts have anything to do with the topic of the thread? If op ever wanted to continue their posts itt, they'd pretty much become invisible amongst all of yours now, wouldn't they? Something to consider?
No, it is not something for me to consider. That's what Mods are for. I don't recall ever posting in a thread in which what I posted wasn't relevant to an earlier post in the thread.

Quote:
Clearly, what I am asking is whether prophecy is necessary for your Christian belief. Since you would be a Christian without prophecy, the answer is no, prophecy is not necessary for you to believe Christianity is true. **

Then, what IS necessary for your Christian belief? What factor, if missing or false, would result in you not being a Christian?

I ask because I am quite confident that we could repeat my thought experiment for every item you've listed, and you'd still be a Christian if it wasn't on your list. If that is in fact the case, then what is your belief founded on?

(If you answer the way I think you will, I'll give myself a cookie)
Sorry to spoil your dessert plans, but I'm not interested in playing another round of the "contrary-to-fact hypothetical game." None of the 37 reasons I posted in the other thread have been refuted.

Quote:
** PS In the other thread, I argued that fulfilled prophecy isn't even sufficient for Christianity. Do you remember?
I vaguely remember a brief exchange regarding prophecy. Please site the relevant post in the relevant thread to I'll refresh my memory. Thanks.
lagtight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:38 AM   #228
BeaucoupFish
Pooh-Bah
 
BeaucoupFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Touched by His Noodly Appendage
Posts: 4,539
Re: I had a religious experience and itís changed my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagtight View Post

Sorry to spoil your dessert plans, but I'm not interested in playing another round of the "contrary-to-fact hypothetical game."
Fortunately for you I didn't ask you to. What I asked was which reason was necessary for your belief in Christianity (I assumed you understand what I mean by necessary).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagtight View Post

None of the 37 reasons I posted in the other thread have been refuted.
None of your reasons appear to have any bearing on whether you would no longer be a Christian if they were missing or false.

Seriously, it's a pretty fundamental question to ask of a theist in a forum about theism. Doubly so, if what you have called the main reason, prophecy, turns out to not be a necessary reason for you to be a Christian.



Do you understand why I'm asking this question?
BeaucoupFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:26 AM   #229
lagtight
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
lagtight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 7,599
Re: I had a religious experience and itís changed my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaucoupFish View Post
Fortunately for you I didn't ask you to. What I asked was which reason was necessary for your belief in Christianity (I assumed you understand what I mean by necessary).


None of your reasons appear to have any bearing on whether you would no longer be a Christian if they were missing or false.


Seriously, it's a pretty fundamental question to ask of a theist in a forum about theism. Doubly so, if what you have called the main reason, prophecy, turns out to not be a necessary reason for you to be a Christian.



Do you understand why I'm asking this question?
Thanks for clarifying the question for me.

The bolded is important because it shows why in my opinion this is a contrary-to-fact hypothetical scenario. I do not believe that it is even possible for a Christian to "no longer be a Christian." I believe in the doctrine of Eternal Security (i.e. a truly born-again follower of Christ cannot "lose" or walk away from the faith.)
lagtight is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive