Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Religion, God, and Theology Discussion of God, religion, faith, theology, and spirituality.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 01:19 PM   #126
Splendour
banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Don't forget. You are loved by God.
Posts: 18,896
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our House View Post
So did Phil Hellmuth. And personally, I'd rather hear that Hellmuth was the one nailed to a cross.
Putting people on hands and antipating what their actions mean isn't the same as knowing a person and his whole personal history inside out.

Jesus told a woman once she'd had 5 husbands within a few seconds acquaintance of her. Hellmuth can't do that.
Splendour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:22 PM   #127
tmcdmck
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
tmcdmck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: being less of a nit than you
Posts: 6,497
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

you realise we do not believe the bible? it would be like us quoting the koran to try and show that you are wrong.
tmcdmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:24 PM   #128
dragonystic
banned
 
dragonystic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: unleashing the 2xer
Posts: 5,210
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

so it's 101 to 459,910,925

hey, its gettin closer!
dragonystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:26 PM   #129
Splendour
banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Don't forget. You are loved by God.
Posts: 18,896
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcdmck View Post
you realise we do not believe the bible? it would be like us quoting the koran to try and show that you are wrong.
I know its time for me to leave. May God have mercy on your souls.

"Blessed is the man who

- Walks not in the counsel of the ungodly,

- Nor stands in the path of sinners,

- Nor sits in the seat of the scornful [mockers];

But his delight is in the law of the Lord,

And in His law he meditates day and night." Psalm 1:1-2
Splendour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:46 PM   #130
Jibninjas
Stuck in a While loop
 
Jibninjas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bluff-Calling
Posts: 11,609
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

Quote:
Yes, if your religion tells you that only those who wear black are capable of losing weight, and you believe your religion uncritically, then you probably wouldn't take advice from anyone who doesn't wear black. But comparing that to objective qualifications is absurd.
Again, this is just wrong. You are altering the analogy so that you look right. Your analogy is totally fallacious. My analogy of someone that does not believe in dieting giving dieting advice is most accurate.

In order for your analogy to even be considered valid you would first have to show that there is 0 correlation between christian spirituality and a positive effect on their lives. Then you would have to show that there is 0 correlation between christian spirituality and splendours life. Then maybe I could take you seriously.
Jibninjas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:50 PM   #131
Jibninjas
Stuck in a While loop
 
Jibninjas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bluff-Calling
Posts: 11,609
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our House View Post
A fat person failed at dieting...so you shouldn't take his diet advice. Is that how you view non-Christian spiritualists; as failures? If not, your analogy is wrong. If yes, your open-mindedness is closed.
I see a non-Christian spiritualists as one that obviously does not care or put any validity behind Christian spirituality. Just like I see a fat person does not put much validity behind actually dieting, or that the fat person and I see dieting very differently. It was a broad generalization. Which is why I offered numerous other analogies.
Jibninjas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:06 PM   #132
Hopey
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Hopey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 11,996
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendour View Post
Why is it atheists have trouble with the concept that God is Love and in him there is no darkness.
The first part of your sentence should answer the question posed by the second part of your sentence.
Hopey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:13 PM   #133
bluesbassman
veteran
 
bluesbassman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: In the pocket
Posts: 2,362
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

The list is a hoot, but I call Poe's Law. If it's serious, then it's more scary than funny.
bluesbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:32 PM   #134
Artdogg
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,244
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibninjas View Post
I see a non-Christian spiritualists as one that obviously does not care or put any validity behind Christian spirituality. Just like I see a fat person does not put much validity behind actually dieting, or that the fat person and I see dieting very differently. It was a broad generalization. Which is why I offered numerous other analogies.
Actually, most rational thinking theists will think there is at least some kind of "validity behind Christian spirituality." Splendour is saying some things that make a ton of sense, but no one notices because some of the other things almost kill her credibility completely. Doesn't the Bible say to keep your ears open? So why close yourself off to everything not within your religion?
Artdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:36 PM   #135
JDalla
Total Boar
 
JDalla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: GA meeting to follow
Posts: 15,504
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

I still don't get what these Christians seem to have against logic, perhaps logic isn't god-like enough. Splendour could just be the best gimmick account of all time, but alas I'm afraid this is not the case.
JDalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:51 PM   #136
Hopey
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Hopey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 11,996
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artdogg View Post
Actually, most rational thinking theists will think there is at least some kind of "validity behind Christian spirituality." Splendour is saying some things that make a ton of sense, but no one notices because some of the other things almost kill her credibility completely. Doesn't the Bible say to keep your ears open? So why close yourself off to everything not within your religion?
Splendour has really gone off the deep end lately. I'm not sure if she was always this nutty and was just hiding it, or if she's having some kind of manic episode where she becomes hyper-religious and sees Satan everywhere.

Whatever the case, her recent dismissive posts that have basically stated "I don't listen to atheists" have been really obnoxious. SMP isn't her blog, so if she is going to make asinine the statements, she should expect people to respond.
Hopey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:03 PM   #137
Splendour
banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Don't forget. You are loved by God.
Posts: 18,896
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDalla View Post
I still don't get what these Christians seem to have against logic, perhaps logic isn't god-like enough. Splendour could just be the best gimmick account of all time, but alas I'm afraid this is not the case.
Logic doesn't lead a Christian to God. The Spirit of God leads us. The Spirit of God may operate thru logic but it is in fact still the Spirit.

This whole operation is called prevenient grace.

Now logic doesn't lead you to faith either in the absence of the Spirit because YOU obv don't have any faith. But it may be some kind of false idol you have raised that is blocking you from seeking God. A raised false idol can sometimes mean narcissism (you're in love with yourself and think you're smarter than believers or a superiority complex).

Attitude not logic is how believers find faith. Spirit is found in the attitude we chose to take: The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. (Note its not the logic its the attitude). (This attitude usually includes reverence, love and humility towards God Almighty).

So any believer that tells you he reasoned his way to God is self-deluded because faith is the gift of God and that gift is delivered through the Spirit though it may be "disguised" as logic. Of course, a lot of theists haven't thought this little concept through in depth.

http://www3.calvarychapel.com/librar...itOfGod/01.htm

The NT describes how to ask God for help if you need it.

Now this isn't the SMP forum so stop with your logic digs. The Spirit is higher than human logic but it can work thru it.

Last edited by Splendour; 02-02-2009 at 03:13 PM.
Splendour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:31 PM   #138
BillNye
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
BillNye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 10,043
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

Splendour, your location, and how weak your arguments are make for a great combination of lol.
BillNye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:32 PM   #139
JDalla
Total Boar
 
JDalla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: GA meeting to follow
Posts: 15,504
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

lol I'm done with you, I'm just glad you continue to pwn trolls somewhere... specifically yourself and here.

edit: lol BillNye beat me to it. I guess rational minds think alike.
JDalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:34 PM   #140
Artdogg
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,244
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendour View Post
(you're in love with yourself and think you're smarter than believers or a superiority complex).
pot kettle etc
Artdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:35 PM   #141
Artdogg
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,244
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

lol didn't even notice her location
Artdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:40 PM   #142
Hopey
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Hopey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 11,996
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendour
(you're in love with yourself and think you're smarter than believers or a superiority complex)
Re-place "believers" with "atheists" and this describes Splendour perfectly.

Splendour, there's a big difference between being righteous and being self-righteous. Apparently this difference is completely lost on you.
Hopey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:51 PM   #143
Splendour
banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Don't forget. You are loved by God.
Posts: 18,896
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

You have to be bold when you deliver God's message.

I'm the best friend an atheist ever had.



Proverbs 13 verse 17:

17Whoever delivers your message

can make things better

or worse for you.

18All who refuse correction

will be poor and disgraced;

all who accept correction

will be praised.

19It's a good feeling

to get what you want,

but only a stupid fool

hates to turn from evil.
Splendour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:55 PM   #144
Splendour
banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Don't forget. You are loved by God.
Posts: 18,896
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopey View Post
Re-place "believers" with "atheists" and this describes Splendour perfectly.

Splendour, there's a big difference between being righteous and being self-righteous. Apparently this difference is completely lost on you.
You need to read the book of James.

Its about taming the tongue.

Why do you insist on giving advice to theists? I already posted Psalm 1.
Splendour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:08 PM   #145
Autocratic
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Autocratic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 11,276
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendour View Post
I'm the best friend an atheist ever had.
Hard to disagree here.
Autocratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:10 PM   #146
Justin A
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Dallas
Posts: 9,010
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendour View Post
You have to be bold when you deliver God's message.

I'm the best friend an atheist ever had.
Does god tell you to preach to us?
Justin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:27 PM   #147
Hopey
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Hopey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 11,996
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendour View Post
You need to read the book of James.

Its about taming the tongue.

Why do you insist on giving advice to theists? I already posted Psalm 1.
Splendour, there's a big difference between being righteous and being self-righteous. Apparently this difference is completely lost on you.
Hopey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:28 PM   #148
Hopey
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Hopey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 11,996
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin A View Post
Does god tell you to preach to us?
Since she claims that everything she does is "biblical based", then I'm sure she believes that she's doing god's work on this board.
Hopey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:32 PM   #149
nittyit
old hand
 
nittyit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,541
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

Splendour should only be responded to in pictures...

nittyit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:45 PM   #150
bsball8806
bff with birdman
 
bsball8806's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: do you ever feel like a plastic bag
Posts: 46,720
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

just out of curiosity here, what about the thousands upon thousands of things the NT/OT have predicted that have not come true? If I wrote down 10,000 prophecies and random facts that I believed might happen at some point in time, I bet at least 100 of them would turn out to be true as well...
bsball8806 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive