Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Religion, God, and Theology Discussion of God, religion, faith, theology, and spirituality.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2009, 11:41 PM   #101
Hopey
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Hopey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 11,996
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendour View Post
Are you atheist?

If you are I don't take advice from atheists on spiritual matters.

Only from the bible and spiritually qualified people who's advice lines up with the bible.
So you only listen to people who already agree with you. That's pathetic.
Hopey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:46 PM   #102
Jibninjas
Stuck in a While loop
 
Jibninjas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bluff-Calling
Posts: 11,609
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopey View Post
So you only listen to people who already agree with you. That's pathetic.
Would you take sex advice from a virgin?

Would you take diet advice from a fat person?

Would you take fashion advice from a blind person?

I am not saying that we should not take advice from people that disagree with us, but there is some truth to what she is saying. You gotta admit that much.
Jibninjas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:49 PM   #103
Funology
adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 898
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendour View Post
Are you atheist?

If you are I don't take advice from atheists on spiritual matters.

Only from the bible and spiritually qualified people who's advice lines up with the bible.
Did you even read his post? He said you don't understand basic logic, and you demonstrate as such with your reply.

If he came back and said "hey wait, I'm not an atheist, I'm a Christian" would you suddenly reconsider what he said? If you would, then you are being irrational. That's basically equivalent to saying "if you wear a yellow hat, then you are right. Otherwise you are wrong and I'm not going to listen to you".

What I mean is that his personal characteristics do not change the nature of his message. It's magical thinking to posit that he could say the exact same thing and be right if he's a Christian ("wearing a yellow hat") but wrong if he's an atheist.

I've mentioned something like this before and your response was along the lines of "I'm talking about the spiritual world, the rules of logic don't apply there". But can't you see that by your definition of "the spiritual world", you could feasibly make absolutely anything up and hold that it is true merely by declaring it so? Can you see any problems with having such a perspective?
Funology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:55 PM   #104
Funology
adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 898
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibninjas View Post
Would you take sex advice from a virgin?

Would you take diet advice from a fat person?

Would you take fashion advice from a blind person?

I am not saying that we should not take advice from people that disagree with us, but there is some truth to what she is saying. You gotta admit that much.
Would you take medical advice from a doctor who has never had your disease? The validity of advice depends on itself alone, it doesn't matter where it's come from.
Funology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:09 AM   #105
Jibninjas
Stuck in a While loop
 
Jibninjas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bluff-Calling
Posts: 11,609
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funology View Post
Would you take medical advice from a doctor who has never had your disease? The validity of advice depends on itself alone, it doesn't matter where it's come from.
Yes, I would take medical advice from a doctor. But I would not take medical advice from someone that played a doctor on tv.

Your statement is just false. Not all advice is independent from the person giving it. Some, yes, but not all advice.

Certain things require a level of knowledge to take seriously. Spirituality is one of those things.
Jibninjas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:11 AM   #106
Splendour
banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Don't forget. You are loved by God.
Posts: 18,896
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funology View Post
Did you even read his post? He said you don't understand basic logic, and you demonstrate as such with your reply.

If he came back and said "hey wait, I'm not an atheist, I'm a Christian" would you suddenly reconsider what he said? If you would, then you are being irrational. That's basically equivalent to saying "if you wear a yellow hat, then you are right. Otherwise you are wrong and I'm not going to listen to you".

What I mean is that his personal characteristics do not change the nature of his message. It's magical thinking to posit that he could say the exact same thing and be right if he's a Christian ("wearing a yellow hat") but wrong if he's an atheist.

I've mentioned something like this before and your response was along the lines of "I'm talking about the spiritual world, the rules of logic don't apply there". But can't you see that by your definition of "the spiritual world", you could feasibly make absolutely anything up and hold that it is true merely by declaring it so? Can you see any problems with having such a perspective?
Almost always I'm going to line up on the bible. This is why arguing religion doesn't make sense. You have to know the bible and respect it.

The Christian worldview requires that what we are saying is in accordance with its teachings.

If I say anything out of line with the bible you can reject it if you have a good grasp of the context though sometimes heresies are insidious and you need to consult a doctrinal expert.
Splendour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:52 AM   #107
Trogdor!
grinder
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 584
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDalla
Splendour I too will chip into the psychiatric fund, I am getting nauseous reading your posts in this thread, I must echo Lestat's sentiments on how incredibly sad it is that you and so many others truly and whole-heartedly believe this stuff and parade it around. You respond to criticisms and logic with things like 'you are merely anti-god," "well that can't be right because we should fight demons from an early age," etc etc. One of the most frustrating things for me is you (and not just you, but you're here so I guess I'm targeting you right now) seem to have such an underdeveloped or flawed understanding of basic logic and tangible reality that you can't even consider that your beliefs and world view are just delusional.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendour View Post
Are you atheist?

If you are I don't take advice from atheists on spiritual matters.

Only from the bible and spiritually qualified people who's advice lines up with the bible.
lol fantastic
Trogdor! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:19 AM   #108
madnak
Cooler than Sammy Hagar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 19,742
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibninjas View Post
Would you take sex advice from a virgin?

Would you take diet advice from a fat person?

Would you take fashion advice from a blind person?

I am not saying that we should not take advice from people that disagree with us, but there is some truth to what she is saying. You gotta admit that much.
These are all objective criteria. This is a completely different matter. You may believe that spirituality is based on the Bible, but I believe that spirituality is based on the brain.

And incidentally, spiritual experiences are reported by people from virtually all religions (and among the nonreligious), while many Christians and even Bible scholars don't report any significant spiritual component to their lives.
madnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:13 AM   #109
JDalla
Total Boar
 
JDalla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: GA meeting to follow
Posts: 15,504
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendour View Post
Are you atheist?

If you are I don't take advice from atheists on spiritual matters.

Only from the bible and spiritually qualified people who's advice lines up with the bible.
Answer: irrelevant.


It shouldn't matter one bit, as if I was a Christian I'd say the same thing for your departure from logic and common sense. Also, as previously mentioned, there are bible scholars that could recite verse on the spot who are non believers, and many of Christians that couldn't name me a single line from it. I don't want to insult you any more, but I guess an irrational person can't objectively examine their irrationality. I feel sorry for you, but at least your convictions are strong enough that you might have a fulfilling life. Best of luck.
JDalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:58 AM   #110
tame_deuces
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
tame_deuces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 17,015
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

The bible has not foretold any more scientific facts than the Quran or the tales of king Arthur.

Why this thread is even going on is mindboggling. Anyone with the relevant highscool subjects to look at the link presented in the OP would know it is complete bollocks.

It has nothing to do with "atheism" or "theism", the namecalling in this thread has reached disgraceful levels. This is what this debate is now:

A. "That car is green"
B. "That is not a car."
A. "You bloody atheist."
tame_deuces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:42 AM   #111
SABR42
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
SABR42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: printing money
Posts: 22,059
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

[ ] Christianity has a monopoly on all things spiritual.

Seriously stop pretending like you do.

Spirituality =/= Christianity
SABR42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:55 AM   #112
Jibninjas
Stuck in a While loop
 
Jibninjas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bluff-Calling
Posts: 11,609
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

Quote:
These are all objective criteria. This is a completely different matter. You may believe that spirituality is based on the Bible, but I believe that spirituality is based on the brain.
This is not a completely different matter. And your beliefs would rightly lead a Christian not to take spiritual advice from you.

Quote:
And incidentally, spiritual experiences are reported by people from virtually all religions (and among the nonreligious), while many Christians and even Bible scholars don't report any significant spiritual component to their lives.
This is irrelevant. I never said that other people could not have spirituality. Just that it is understandable that a Christian would not want to take spiritual advice from an atheist. Just like my other examples.

A fat person might have a great diet idea. But I am not really going to listen because of who it is coming from.
Jibninjas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:05 AM   #113
Splendour
banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Don't forget. You are loved by God.
Posts: 18,896
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibninjas View Post
This is not a completely different matter. And your beliefs would rightly lead a Christian not to take spiritual advice from you.



This is irrelevant. I never said that other people could not have spirituality. Just that it is understandable that a Christian would not want to take spiritual advice from an atheist. Just like my other examples.

A fat person might have a great diet idea. But I am not really going to listen because of who it is coming from.

Good post.

m is partial to buddhism probably because he likes meditation and mindfulness ideas. The truth is a Christian can meditate. Brother Lawrence shows that. Its just that Christians don't cut off the head and the tail (God and Christ).

Most Christians are so busy trying to obtain grace and trying to figure out how to put on the New Man they never go the meditative route.

The shortcut for a Christian is pretty simple: its obedience. Christians always get in trouble when they tussle between the natural and the spiritual. I think its Chambers that says just obey. Its the desire, the temptation that puts Christians thru suffering and the crucible. The Buddhists know this thats why they remove themselves from desire. They've identified the cause but their solution is different. No Christian is ever putting his eternal life on the line cutting off Jesus and God because Christ overcame the world and they want the promises of God. We can have the peace just like the Buddhists but we have to live a life affirming the will of God. Getting in sync with God's will is what limits human suffering but people are too caught up in temptations to know that. In a struggle between light and dark. Don't stay in the gray area. Step into the light and obey God.
Splendour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:27 AM   #114
madnak
Cooler than Sammy Hagar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 19,742
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibninjas View Post
A fat person might have a great diet idea. But I am not really going to listen because of who it is coming from.
Again, weight can be objectively measured. Spirituality can't.

This is more like you refusing to take dietary advice from anyone who eats carbs (regardless of their physical condition), because you already have a personal bias that no-carb diets are best and you are unwilling to hear differently.
madnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:20 AM   #115
Jibninjas
Stuck in a While loop
 
Jibninjas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bluff-Calling
Posts: 11,609
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

Quote:
This is more like you refusing to take dietary advice from anyone who eats carbs (regardless of their physical condition), because you already have a personal bias that no-carb diets are best and you are unwilling to hear differently.
No, it is more like taking diet advice from someone who believes that dieting does not do anything.

In the case that we are referring to, Hopey is a person that does not believe in Christian spirituality, so why would Splendour listen to advice about christian spirituality when Hopey believes it is nothing more that tooth fairy spirituality?
Jibninjas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:33 AM   #116
madnak
Cooler than Sammy Hagar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 19,742
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibninjas View Post
No, it is more like taking diet advice from someone who believes that dieting does not do anything.

In the case that we are referring to, Hopey is a person that does not believe in Christian spirituality, so why would Splendour listen to advice about christian spirituality when Hopey believes it is nothing more that tooth fairy spirituality?
That's like saying "you don't believe in no-carb dieting, so why would I listen to your advice about dieting?"

Just because you think "dieting" and "no-carb" are synonymous, doesn't make it so. There's plenty of evidence that carb-focused diets can be highly effective, and even more evidence that spirituality has nothing to do with your dogma of choice.

Hopey isn't suggesting there's anything wrong with "Christian spirituality," he's only suggesting that "Christian spirituality" as a term is roughly as meaningful as "no-carb dieting." And even that may be giving too much credit - it's more like "black shirt dieting," as if you must wear black in order to lose weight.

Yes, if your religion tells you that only those who wear black are capable of losing weight, and you believe your religion uncritically, then you probably wouldn't take advice from anyone who doesn't wear black. But comparing that to objective qualifications is absurd.
madnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:44 AM   #117
Our House
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Our House's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: East of Westeros, West of Essos
Posts: 28,109
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibninjas View Post
A fat person might have a great diet idea. But I am not really going to listen because of who it is coming from.
A fat person failed at dieting...so you shouldn't take his diet advice. Is that how you view non-Christian spiritualists; as failures? If not, your analogy is wrong. If yes, your open-mindedness is closed.
Our House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:45 AM   #118
Our House
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Our House's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: East of Westeros, West of Essos
Posts: 28,109
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABR42 View Post
[ ] Christianity has a monopoly on all things spiritual.

Seriously stop pretending like you do.

Spirituality =/= Christianity
This.
Our House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:00 PM   #119
Splendour
banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Don't forget. You are loved by God.
Posts: 18,896
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

Why is it atheists have trouble with the concept that God is Love and in him there is no darkness.

God's love is not human love its infinitely richer and deeper like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY_FpV05n-c

Must be all those darts of doubt, guilt and self-condemnation the devil sends.
Because extreme doubt, guilt and self-condemnation are never from God.

Jesus said he came to save the world not condemn it.
Splendour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:38 PM   #120
tmcdmck
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
tmcdmck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: being less of a nit than you
Posts: 6,497
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

atheists have a problem with it because they do not believe in him. why do you have a problem with obedience to allah?
tmcdmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:42 PM   #121
SABR42
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
SABR42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: printing money
Posts: 22,059
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendour View Post
Why is it atheists have trouble with the concept that God is Love and in him there is no darkness.
OH YEAH, because when I think of love, I think of THIS guy!

SABR42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:47 PM   #122
abuelo
journeyman
 
abuelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: berateaments
Posts: 398
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

Did not read list but I'm sure it's ******ed.
abuelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:04 PM   #123
Splendour
banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Don't forget. You are loved by God.
Posts: 18,896
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABR42 View Post
OH YEAH, because when I think of love, I think of THIS guy!

Go ahead and judge God just remember if you're wrong you don't have any power over him.

Theists are quite rational in their beliefs. They believe the witnesses in the NT and the witness of God. People who witnessed God's power.

Jesus saw straight thru people on a daily basis.

You don't think God could see straight thru a people's flesh to their purity or impurity?

"O ye of little faith".

If God can create man then God can certainly see thru them to the state of their hearts and his judgment is irrevocable.
Splendour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:17 PM   #124
Our House
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Our House's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: East of Westeros, West of Essos
Posts: 28,109
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendour View Post
Jesus saw straight thru people on a daily basis.
So did Phil Hellmuth. And personally, I'd rather hear that Hellmuth was the one nailed to a cross.
Our House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:17 PM   #125
Splendour
banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Don't forget. You are loved by God.
Posts: 18,896
Re: 101 Scientific Facts the Bible foretold

"Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap." Galatians 6:7
Splendour is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive