Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > > >

Notices

Staking - Seeking Stakes For 2+2ers seeking stakes.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 03:11 PM   #126
Poker is Rigged
old hand
 
Poker is Rigged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bellagio
Posts: 1,366
Re: ***A Guide to Staking Players for Cash Games***

I have a question about staking players

See, a friend of mine approached me yesterday. He knows i crush sngs and wants to stake me for live STT's and other various tourneys. Im kind of new to this and my question is, how is this +EV for him? Standard 50/50 deal. I just don't see how he can profit from this unless i crush them, but even then it seems like a small profit for him. Any way to figure out what kind of ROI i need to net him money or something?

$100 STT, even if i *could* sustain 50% roi, that means $150 dollar win on average, $75 to him. this is still a losing bet in the long run for him. or am i doing it wrong in this example? i dont know i just dont like taking advantage of people where a lot of people would snap accept this offer. He originally only asked for 25% back and i said hes WAY too generous and I made it 50%

Any help would be appreciated guys.

EDIT: Wait, i think im retarded. i guess if i win $150 i ship him 125, me 25 right?

Last edited by Poker is Rigged; 01-12-2010 at 03:17 PM.
Poker is Rigged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:50 PM   #127
Poker is Rigged
old hand
 
Poker is Rigged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bellagio
Posts: 1,366
Re: ***A Guide to Staking Players for Cash Games***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poker is Rigged View Post
I have a question about staking players

See, a friend of mine approached me yesterday. He knows i crush sngs and wants to stake me for live STT's and other various tourneys. Im kind of new to this and my question is, how is this +EV for him? Standard 50/50 deal. I just don't see how he can profit from this unless i crush them, but even then it seems like a small profit for him. Any way to figure out what kind of ROI i need to net him money or something?

$100 STT, even if i *could* sustain 50% roi, that means $150 dollar win on average, $75 to him. this is still a losing bet in the long run for him. or am i doing it wrong in this example? i dont know i just dont like taking advantage of people where a lot of people would snap accept this offer. He originally only asked for 25% back and i said hes WAY too generous and I made it 50%

Any help would be appreciated guys.


EDIT: Wait, i think im retarded. i guess if i win $150 i ship him 125, me 25 right?

damnit i posted this in the wrong thread
Poker is Rigged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:05 AM   #128
isaacicic
banned
 
isaacicic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: China
Posts: 791
Re: ***A Guide to Staking Players for Cash Games***

if there are makeup, 50/50 is fair
isaacicic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:25 PM   #129
Stang93Svo
newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 23
Re: ***A Guide to Staking Players for Cash Games***

nice
Stang93Svo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:09 AM   #130
SqueezePlease
centurion
 
SqueezePlease's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Porto
Posts: 118
Re: ***A Guide to Staking Players for Cash Games***

How much buy ins for start??

thank you great post
SqueezePlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 02:04 AM   #131
SteelerPower
grinder
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: If I didn't suck, i'd be Awesome!
Posts: 636
Re: ***A Guide to Staking Players for Cash Games***

I have decided I want to start staking for cash games.

Used to be a big staker at NeverBeg.

But while my SNG, and Tourney stakes wound up being profitable in the long run. I had -EV experience with cash stakes.

So I was thinking of having my stakee sweated everytime they played. As this would avoid any foul play. Keep them playing optumly, and be 100% trackable as far as results.

The downside, is putting in all the time watching/sweating when I could be playing. As well as potential time conflicts with each other.

Curious as to thoughts on this idea.
SteelerPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:09 AM   #132
Zima421
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Zima421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 18,876
Re: ***A Guide to Staking Players for Cash Games***

seems like a ton of work that isnt needed as long as you screen super well for the right candidates.


having to watch every table a horse is playing just isnt feasible. esp if you have more than 1 person you are staking.


just back good/trustworthy people and you dont need to do this.


gl
Zima421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:06 AM   #133
jonafern
grinder
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 440
Re: ***A Guide to Staking Players for Cash Games***

Hey guys, I just have a question to ask.

Last week a friend started backing me to play NL100 NLFR. He invested $1k and I also put $1k as well, and were splitting the profits 50/50.

I'm currently a 4.5bb/100 winner on NL50 over 80k+ sample size. So I think there is a slim chance I will lose 2k in NL100.

Now I've been running really well and I am looking to stop the backing. I've made 15 buyins in one week. I'm wondering how much should I make until I should finish the backing that is respectful?

If I decide to offer to end the backing now (I've made him $750 in a week), is that being offensive to him?
jonafern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:10 AM   #134
Zima421
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Zima421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 18,876
Re: ***A Guide to Staking Players for Cash Games***

since you guys made no real arrangements, and you are not down money, you should be able to leave whenever you want.

this is different from other staking deals though cause you actually have money invested as well, so this gives you the leeway to leave whenever you are up, and since you also didnt set a specific time frame this also makes it ok to leave whenever (as long as in profits).
Zima421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:08 AM   #135
ivansus
newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 23
Re: ***A Guide to Staking Players for Cash Games***

I just joined this forum. Why can't I create a thread?
ivansus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 05:54 AM   #136
krcmdc
self-banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 539
Re: ***A Guide to Staking Players for Cash Games***

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansus View Post
I just joined this forum. Why can't I create a thread?
Q: Why can't I create a thread?

A: I just joined this forum.


Staking sub-forum rules can be found here.

Marketplace rules can be found here.
krcmdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:55 AM   #137
hennerz
2008 uNL WSOP Champion
 
hennerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Winchester Location: Bristol
Posts: 5,567
Re: ***A Guide to Staking Players for Cash Games***

Please can someone PM me about how to handle a stakee who is just making me wait to get my money back until he is "comfortable"? I think I am going crazy.
hennerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:10 PM   #138
OckerMan
banned
 
OckerMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: 4L Relationship Expert
Posts: 2,120
Re: ***A Guide to Staking Players for Cash Games***

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngaskin View Post
All of my stakees split rakeback/fpps and any other bonus' etc and I have stakees from NL50 to NL5000
Yet as shown even people with 4k plus post can be scum. So make sure you get a good read on someone before trusting them
OckerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:04 PM   #139
Zima421
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Zima421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 18,876
Re: ***A Guide to Staking Players for Cash Games***

Quote:
Originally Posted by hennerz View Post
Please can someone PM me about how to handle a stakee who is just making me wait to get my money back until he is "comfortable"? I think I am going crazy.
well, there is no real set of rules to follow to deal with scummy horses. just gotta make him comfortable and hopefully he comes to his senses er something. its pretty much any backers nightmare to deal with a horse like that.
Zima421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:51 PM   #140
hennerz
2008 uNL WSOP Champion
 
hennerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Winchester Location: Bristol
Posts: 5,567
Re: ***A Guide to Staking Players for Cash Games***

yap. looks like i've just gotta wait and hope he doesnt go busto
hennerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 08:51 PM   #141
SuitedAces125
journeyman
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 355
Re: ***A Guide to Staking Players for Cash Games***

Wasn't sure where to ask this but I guess I'll ask it here...


Whats the general view on emailing hand histories to one's backer? Is this prohibited since it is sharing HH? Or is it good etiquette so that both backer and horse can run the numbers to split profit, etc?
SuitedAces125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:11 PM   #142
Jkarioun
old hand
 
Jkarioun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,338
Re: ***A Guide to Staking Players for Cash Games***

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonafern View Post
Hey guys, I just have a question to ask.

Last week a friend started backing me to play NL100 NLFR. He invested $1k and I also put $1k as well, and were splitting the profits 50/50.

I'm currently a 4.5bb/100 winner on NL50 over 80k+ sample size. So I think there is a slim chance I will lose 2k in NL100.

Now I've been running really well and I am looking to stop the backing. I've made 15 buyins in one week. I'm wondering how much should I make until I should finish the backing that is respectful?

If I decide to offer to end the backing now (I've made him $750 in a week), is that being offensive to him?
it's certainly too late but if you profited 1500$ and invested 50% of the capital at 50% for player and 50% for backer(s) you should have gotten 75% of the money (50% is the players share and 25% is half the backer's share)
Jkarioun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:35 AM   #143
ComplexP
old hand
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tilting 10 BI's at a table near you
Posts: 1,285
Re: ***A Guide to Staking Players for Cash Games***

Great thread, thanks guys especially OP. I had no idea there was such a good staking industry online.

Anyway, my questions :

1) I've read alot of mentions on 50NL cash, is there any staking done for 20NL as well, or is 50NL generally the bottom limit?

2) Just curious, and I am in doubt I'll get a straight answer, but how much can a SSNL - say 100NL for argument's sake - expects to make off their horse on average, assuming they selected well?
ComplexP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:11 AM   #144
E'arn
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 66
Re: ***A Guide to Staking Players for Cash Games***

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComplexP View Post
Great thread, thanks guys especially OP. I had no idea there was such a good staking industry online.

Anyway, my questions :

1) I've read alot of mentions on 50NL cash, is there any staking done for 20NL as well, or is 50NL generally the bottom limit?

2) Just curious, and I am in doubt I'll get a straight answer, but how much can a SSNL - say 100NL for argument's sake - expects to make off their horse on average, assuming they selected well?
I'd like to tag along with this question. Hoping for an answer
E'arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:35 AM   #145
WotaWaster
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 301
Re: ***A Guide to Staking Players for Cash Games***

1. You can stake anybody for any level you want. Not sure why there would be a standard? If you want to back someone at NL20 and they want to be backed at NL20 then you have a deal!

2. (hands played in 100s) x (estimated bb/100) x (agreed backers %)

At some stage it is likely the horse either wants to play on their own dime or move to a higher stake if they're a big winner. But say for arguments sake you find a guy who plays 50k hands a month at 4bb/100 and 50% backers cut that's going to average about $1000/month income.
WotaWaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:00 PM   #146
ComplexP
old hand
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tilting 10 BI's at a table near you
Posts: 1,285
Re: ***A Guide to Staking Players for Cash Games***

Quote:
Originally Posted by WotaWaster View Post
1. You can stake anybody for any level you want. Not sure why there would be a standard? If you want to back someone at NL20 and they want to be backed at NL20 then you have a deal!

2. (hands played in 100s) x (estimated bb/100) x (agreed backers %)

At some stage it is likely the horse either wants to play on their own dime or move to a higher stake if they're a big winner. But say for arguments sake you find a guy who plays 50k hands a month at 4bb/100 and 50% backers cut that's going to average about $1000/month income.
Yeah that's about what I thought. But those deals usually last only a month, continuing if agreed upon - that's my impression at least from reading a few threads here
ComplexP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:47 AM   #147
UnitedAs1
veteran
 
UnitedAs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,146
Re: ***A Guide to Staking Players for Cash Games***

Im backing a person at the moment and its the standard 50/50 split, My and his main goal is to reach 100nl/200nl starting from 10nl, so as you may understand this could be a long process... I want to know a good way to split profits, or is the best way just to split every week or month?
UnitedAs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:35 AM   #148
Jkarioun
old hand
 
Jkarioun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,338
Re: ***A Guide to Staking Players for Cash Games***

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitedAs1 View Post
Im backing a person at the moment and its the standard 50/50 split, My and his main goal is to reach 100nl/200nl starting from 10nl, so as you may understand this could be a long process... I want to know a good way to split profits, or is the best way just to split every week or month?
I found splitting profits every X hands works well, I'm doing every 10K hands with my staker, witch motivates me to put in volume and also makes mony on a regular basis for both of us.
Jkarioun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:17 PM   #149
cubfan_04
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Oprah Winfrey's Labium
Posts: 68
Re: ***A Guide to Staking Players for Cash Games***

Quick Question involving staking.

In a discussion with a friend who i consider to semi-content.

Ok we got on subject of staking, sorted through some numbers, and were left at an interesting impass.

What is the point of staking...I consider the point of staking to be-ELiminating variance....but he is all over me saying that when being staked ur not eliminating variance, but you are just transfering variance between u and ur staker....he is inclined to telll me that the point of staking is to eliminate risk. That by being staked you are no longer risking anything other than time on poker, and thus since u have no financial investment into ur play you are eliminated the risk of losing money, therefor the variance hasnt changed.....

Who is right/more right?

sorry if this is in the wrong spot also wasnt sure where to put it
cubfan_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:51 PM   #150
Zima421
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Zima421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 18,876
Re: ***A Guide to Staking Players for Cash Games***

some people are broke and they cant play without a stake.
Zima421 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online