Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Medium-High Stakes Full Ring Discussion of $400+ pot-limit and no-limit and 5/10 live texas hold'em full ring games, situations and strategies

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM   #6201
CompComp
stranger
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 5
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

Awesome read! Thanks for the post. It's helpful to read the ups and downs learning as we go. It's cool to see all the adjustments you made as well to be successful. BR mgmt is really my biggest leak with all that's going on in RL so that really is the first step in my moving forward. Good luck in your next adventures!
CompComp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM   #6202
Pr4ff
enthusiast
 
Pr4ff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: London
Posts: 59
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGAF View Post
I'm at the point in my poker career where I need to set short-term br goals and stick to them so I can a) stay in action and b) get up to where I want to be again. I've talked in my poker pod about being in the midst of a do or die (financially) bankroll challenge--to pay off debt and live, not to just prove that I can do it. I've also equated my comeback journey to playing a video game, specifically Super Mario Bros. (remember, I'm old). Anyways, here are the guidelines I came up with to tell me where to play each session. Posting for accountability/maybe to inspire others to create their own journey/poker video game:

My Super Mario Bros.

Level 1: Venetian 2-5

Store 10 lives + 3 lives for level 2 to advance

Level 2: Bellagio 5-10

Store 10 lives for level 1 + 10 lives at level 2 + 3 lives for level 3 to advance.

Level 3: Aria 5-10

Store 10 lives for level 1 + 10 lives for level 2 + 10 lives at level 3 + 3 lives for level 4 to advance.

Level 4: Encore 5–10 +

Store 10 lives for level 1 + 10 lives for level 2 + 10 lives for level 3 + 10 lives at level 4 + 3 lives for level 5 to advance

Level 5: Bellagio top section

Store 10 lives for level 1 + 10 lives for level 2 + 10 lives for level 3 + 10 lives for level 4 + 10 lives at level 5 + 3 lives at level 6 to advance

Level 6: Nosebleed (la or Vegas)

Store 10 lives for level 1 + 10 lives for level 2 + 10 lives for level 3 + 10 lives for level 4 + 10 lives for level 5 + 10 lives at level 6 to save the princess.


Rules:

*lives will be sacrificed as necessary for living expenses/debt payments

*lives will never be added outside of poker

*i can go up or down a level at any time if there are easy points to get or I need to knock off rust

*i can enter the secret world for as much as I have in my pocket any time anyone agrees to meet me there

*once i save the princess (this time) I’m officially a rec player for life
Duuuude, that sounds like such a cool way to map out your plan of attack. The only thing I can think of is that to me 13 lives at any particular level doesn't seem conservative enough. Are you practicing such shallow BRM because of the massive edge on your competition or is there more to it? I always thought of "good" BRM at roughly around 20 buy-ins per level - but am aware ofc that it depends heavily on a variety of factors.

Cannot wait for you to get @SeanSnyder on Sessions btw.
Pr4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM   #6203
DGAF
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
DGAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Coast
Posts: 6,079
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompComp View Post
Awesome read! Thanks for the post. It's helpful to read the ups and downs learning as we go. It's cool to see all the adjustments you made as well to be successful. BR mgmt is really my biggest leak with all that's going on in RL so that really is the first step in my moving forward. Good luck in your next adventures!
Thanks. Yeah, I've made the adjustments (I couldn't sleep the other night so I took a bath, drank a big boy Stone IPA and wrote these guidelines out on my phone), and now I just have to do it...

I've learned from icanadd and others that lots of little short-term goals is the best way to get to a long term-goal. And from experience, I know when I am focused on a specific challenge that has multiple steps, my work ethic/focus is all but obsessive. I used to start from level 1 on Super Mario Bros. and play until I saved the princess, back when I was a kid. That's what I'm attempting to do here basically--but in live poker...

My poker pod documents the ride/my attempt to save the princess (again). Next Session I start on level 2 (about 4 months in), but if I lose I'll be back at level 1 until I store up the proper amount of lives again.

Making this public (posting the game rules here and documenting the ride in my poker pod) is my way of both keeping myself accountable and hopefully inspiring/helping others.
DGAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:24 PM   #6204
DGAF
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
DGAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Coast
Posts: 6,079
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr4ff View Post
Duuuude, that sounds like such a cool way to map out your plan of attack. The only thing I can think of is that to me 13 lives at any particular level doesn't seem conservative enough. Are you practicing such shallow BRM because of the massive edge on your competition or is there more to it? I always thought of "good" BRM at roughly around 20 buy-ins per level - but am aware ofc that it depends heavily on a variety of factors.

Cannot wait for you to get @SeanSnyder on Sessions btw.
Thanks for the post. 20 would be better. I just don't have the time. Also, Rome wasn't built in a day. I haven't practiced ANY BRM for a decade, so this seems super conservative to me (even though I know it's not/variance is Holyfield).

Also, these are small steps into bigger games/tougher levels. I'm not doubling stakes until I get to level 5. And even though level 1 is beautifully soft and relaxing, that it is not time rake and people don't really play sh makes it pretty brutal for me specifically.

Lastly, I've played 1831 sessions of live NLHE since I became a full-time professional at the beginning of 2008 (and plenty as a semi-pro before that). I have played the vast majority of those sessions somewhere between buzzed and BTFO.

In total, I've won 65% of these sessions...

I acknowledge that games are much more a variance festival these days (and some are actually tough), but I am also playing this game sober--all the way until I save the princess. And though I have a lot to work on still/I'm still getting used to playing sober and for sure there are adjustments to be made at each level, most of the time at the table I feel like Jason Bourne in a scuffle. It's just slow-mo for me and EV wise at least, I feel like my opponents are ****ed.

Spoiler:


--> I think I can win 2/3 sessions for this challenge. I'm on pace for it so far, 41 sessions in, fwtw.

Again, thanks for the feedback. It should be an interesting journey at the very least. Also... Sean is coming over tonight to do an episode on my poker pod. Let me know who else you want me to try to get. I need to do way more interviews, I know.

Cheers M8
DGAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:42 PM   #6205
netstorm
old hand
 
netstorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On the button
Posts: 1,713
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

Hahaha nice way to describe the challenge. Secret world = flips ?
netstorm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:36 PM   #6206
CabreraEra2
veteran
 
CabreraEra2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Different places
Posts: 2,853
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

I'm gunna guess secret world= HU
CabreraEra2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:21 PM   #6207
Irieguy
veteran
 
Irieguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,172
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

DGAF,

The podcast is really great and I want to thank you for producing content that helps pass time while I’m driving and also inspires me to play poker with the proper mindset. That’s important when you used to save princesses and now you’re just Luigi at level 1.

Listening since the beginning of last season’s sessions there has always been something that didn’t quite sit right with me regarding the way you mentally grapple with the variance monster. At first I couldn’t put my finger on it, but I’ve put a lot of thought into it and I hope I can offer a constructive opinion. That’s all this is... an opinion- but I think it has some merit.

Framing variance in qualitative terms is dangerous for your psyche.

Variance is a quantitative phenomenon. When you make a series of decisions and wind up in a spot where the decisions stop and the rooting starts, there’s really no place for qualitative psychological meandering. Just sit still with the result.

When you start framing every single micro-example of variance as either a good or a bad thing (running good or running bad) you are manufacturing danger from a thing that isn’t supposed to be dangerous for a professional gambler. We need variance or else there aren’t any fish. No whale who’s bad at chess ever walks into a chess convention with 100k and looks for a match. But they sit down in poker games where they’re drawing dead to variance every day.

But when, as a professional, you start training your mind through repetition to qualify every single instance of variance as either running good or running bad it starts to cause some problems:

1. Every time you make a series of good decisions and lose, you qualify it as running bad. This makes you feel bad about being right. You are training your mind through repitition and punishment that when you lose as a favorite it is BAD. You use the word “bad” and it feels bad. But nothing bad happened. The things you have control over (reads, bet sizing, line planning, etc) went well. There’s no way this can be healthy for your mindset.

2. Every time you don’t lose, you are labeling it as running good. That also seems dangerous to me. You are obscuring an objective self analysis of the play of the hand by trying to figure out what the nature of the run-good was that allowed you to avoid losing.

3. Over time, the labeling of so many events as “running bad” results in the cultivation of a massive crop of bad memories. So when you yet again get your over pair all-in vs an underpair (the result of good decisions,) and lose (a result that is quantitative not qualitative,) you force yourself to mentally acknowledge your massive crop of runbad.

I feel like this last point may be the underlying cause of the cumulative effect of running bad that you have aluded to several times in your podcast. What if every time you took a beat, lost as a favorite, ran into the top of someone’s range, etc. you just sat still with it? How do you think it would feel after years and years of that when it happens again? It probably wouldn’t feel like you were a runbad farmer producing more crops than you could manage. It would just feel like you were sitting still, like always, assessing the decisions that got you there and adjusting accordingly.

Now, while I’m pretty sure I’m right about this I’m also drawing stone dead to implement any of it for myself. I’m running so bad lately it makes me puke and the god dam crops have surrounded my house and it feels like the next bad beat corn stalk will shatter my windows and kill me. But maybe you are more zen than I am. Maybe as soon as the action is complete and the chips are in you can click on your breathing app and start breathing. Don’t watch the run out. Don’t look at the showdown. Just breathe. The dealer will push the pot to the right seat (most of the time) and you can stack chips or reload when you finish breathing.

Last edited by Irieguy; Yesterday at 11:31 PM.
Irieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:33 AM   #6208
icanadd
centurion
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pardoned by the Variance Police
Posts: 185
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGAF View Post
I'm at the point in my poker career where I need to set short-term br goals and stick to them so I can a) stay in action and b) get up to where I want to be again. I've talked in my poker pod about being in the midst of a do or die (financially) bankroll challenge--to pay off debt and live, not to just prove that I can do it. I've also equated my comeback journey to playing a video game, specifically Super Mario Bros. (remember, I'm old). Anyways, here are the guidelines I came up with to tell me where to play each session. Posting for accountability/maybe to inspire others to create their own journey/poker video game:

My Super Mario Bros.

Level 1: Venetian 2-5

Store 10 lives + 3 lives for level 2 to advance

Level 2: Bellagio 5-10

Store 10 lives for level 1 + 10 lives at level 2 + 3 lives for level 3 to advance.

Level 3: Aria 5-10

Store 10 lives for level 1 + 10 lives for level 2 + 10 lives at level 3 + 3 lives for level 4 to advance.

Level 4: Encore 5–10 +

Store 10 lives for level 1 + 10 lives for level 2 + 10 lives for level 3 + 10 lives at level 4 + 3 lives for level 5 to advance

Level 5: Bellagio top section

Store 10 lives for level 1 + 10 lives for level 2 + 10 lives for level 3 + 10 lives for level 4 + 10 lives at level 5 + 3 lives at level 6 to advance

Level 6: Nosebleed (la or Vegas)

Store 10 lives for level 1 + 10 lives for level 2 + 10 lives for level 3 + 10 lives for level 4 + 10 lives for level 5 + 10 lives at level 6 to save the princess.


Rules:

*lives will be sacrificed as necessary for living expenses/debt payments

*lives will never be added outside of poker

*i can go up or down a level at any time if there are easy points to get or I need to knock off rust

*i can enter the secret world for as much as I have in my pocket any time anyone agrees to meet me there

*once i save the princess (this time) I’m officially a rec player for life
I like the plan. Its clear, its measurable and in alignment with your long-term goals. I would add one thing. In order to save the princess, you need to slay the debt and expense dragon. It is a multi-headed monster that in your case seems to regenerate. From where I can see safely inside the castle yours looks like it has ten 25k heads that grow back. As long as it has all its heads, they keep making the other ones stronger, but kill one and the next one gets easier.

You kill the dragon by doing two things. You stay agile and take advantage of the chances to stab it and move. You keep engaged with it hurting it little by little. It will feel as if you are doing nothing at first. Don’t let hopelessness set in. While you are doing that you starve it by reducing the expenses it feeds on. You take its energy and use it against it.

As the dragon gets weaker you might need to take more care with the levels lest it rise up again empowered by the dark magic variance and expenses.


If you don’t slay the dragon even if you save the princess, she might be whisked away forcing you to start the game all over again. I wish you the best of luck in your quest (just not during the super bowl) and will be following along here in the thread as well as on the POD.
icanadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:39 AM   #6209
jrr63
The Situation
 
jrr63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Saguaroland
Posts: 3,372
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

Nice post Irieguy.
jrr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:19 AM   #6210
Sean Snyder
journeyman
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 218
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr4ff View Post
Cannot wait for you to get @SeanSnyder on Sessions btw.
I was supposed to meet up with David and DGAF for sushi tonight but woke up with a kinda swollen lip at 8am, took a Benadryl and woke up with a way more swollen lip at 1:30pm and the last 2 times this has happened it has resulted in my lips just swelling up around my whole mouth and me basically having to eat nothing and drink water through a straw for 24 hrs so I decided to cancel. I seem to have become allergic to something the past few months or maybe I am dying, idk. Don't feel like going to the doctor for an issue that so far has been a mild inconvenience at worst. I will give my 2p2 Sessions report if it makes you feel any better since I wrote down stuff anyway.

Was invited to this game a week or so ago, it was advertised to me as a 25/50/100 PLO/NLHE game at what was one of my usual spots late this summer through fall. Didn't really want to play $100 blind as I have been doing terribly the past 15 months other than November and turned +10k into -20k in December and at the time had turned +20k into -3k or something this month, but the game is supposed to be good, the host is a really cool guy I'm real friendly with and I haven't seen him in a couple months, and I could use a trip up there to do some bookkeeping in my safe deposit box aka see how much money I actually have in there, get more money to bring to San Diego because I'm stone broke down here cashwise and been borrowing monies and bring a friend some Commerce chips that he asked to borrow.

Get there and the lineup looks rougher than expected. Significantly worse than any PLO game I've played lately but significantly better than most NLHE games I've played. Certainly better than just about any public $100 game you will see, and it's a great group of people recreational and professional alike so good enough for me. Buy in 10k and a rec immediately asks what we are playing and somehow the advertised 25/50/100 half and half becomes 25/50 PLO and 50/100 holdem. Ok sure whatever, I can work with playing my best game at higher stakes. Kinda sucks because I'd way rather be 100bb deep than 200 at PLO but I don't want to be 50bb deep in holdem. Ideally I'd play infinite blinds deep in holdem and 40 deep in PLO but you get what you get.

Anyway, the game is nothing too extreme. It started at ~1pm and I was hoping to get out of there at 9-10pm since I just wanted to get 8 hours or so in and drive back to San Diego to rest. Been waking up ~1pm lately so waking up at 10am to get money and get to this game was a little painful. Game ended up breaking surprisingly early around 8pm and I ended up grabbing some food nearby with some of the guys and gals from the game at a place with the biggest quality of food to quality (or lack thereof) of service disparity that I can ever recall experiencing. I don't like naming people even in a positive light just in case they don't want anyone knowing where they are but a certain pro is a boss who treated us all to the meal.

I lose 8k and basically win 0 pots over $1000 until about 15 minutes before the game broke where I do finally win one decent pot. No big deal as far as poker goes, just annoying that I'm now on a 30k downswing this month from peak after a 30k downswing last month from peak. My only all in was when I was short stacked (I never rebuy until bust in reasonably tough games when PLO is in the mix) when I crai for I believe 2300 against a cbet of 350 into 900 3 ways on JT2cc with J9dd (any top pair is good 100% against this sizing I am quite sure). Opponent calls A3cc, we run it twice and he makes a flush on both boards for 5500. Every day is the same for steady eddy, nothing new to see here.

Worst hand:

Holdem. Early in the session. Former online nosebleeds/Bobby's Room reg limps ep, I iso A8cc to 400, sb who is unknown but very clearly a non pro says raise and decides on 1000, pro folds, I call. Ordinarily I'd auto assign this player AA/KK exactly but this is the 3rd hand he's 3bet in a row, although the other 2 were much larger sizes and didn't get shown down so this one is a bit off in comparison. Pot 2200.

4c4h2s (idk the actual suits. 4c is all that matters and it's rainbow)
check check. Not sure what to make of it. Would expect him to bet AA almost always and KK always. Maybe he has AK or something goofy.

Qc
he bets 1500 I call. Now I kinda feel like he actually has AA/KK again because he bet so confidently but whatever lets hit a club and stack him or an Ace and hopefully be up against KK. Or maybe he will have air and decide to have a queen and we can bluff. It's good to be optimistic about the possibilities but let's focus on hitting a clubby. Pot 5200.

7d
he snap checks, I fake think for like 3 seconds and jam 4300 effective, he snaps with KK and a recreational player has thoroughly destroyed me with clairvoyant decisions against my exact hand. He also runs very pure to let me turn a 9 out (good) club instead of a 3 out Ace (or brick to fold), then I missed an 8 outter for a hand where I stack him 100% of the time I hit the winning flush, and just win at least 5200 when I hit one of the 3 aces but if there's any one thing that we have established at this point, it's that every day is the same for steady eddy.

Anyway it's my worst hand because I used to actually be a great live poker player and when I knew exactly what someone had from his very first action (KK or AA) I would trust myself and play accordingly which resulted in doing things that appeared ridiculous but were correct at an alarming frequency because I am playing against people, not a piosolver sim. In this hand all it means is checking the flop, calling the turn and just giving up the river brick which it turns out is generally the correct way to play the hand anyway, and I should use lower flush draws as bluffs to maximize the amount of Ace highs I am bluffing out. Unfortunately one of the rules of live poker is simply that you just go for it way more often than you normally should so I felt kinda caught between a rock and a hard place, and I give credit to the player for tricking me for his whole stack by thoroughly convincing me he had AK or something and that I could win against his whole range by jamming.

Best hand: There were no best hands. I made no exceptional decisions and didn't deviate from my standard play in any meaningful way. If I had given up in the above hand, it would be my best hand and it still wouldn't be a very good hand, but I would have no worst hand because every other hand really played itself.

Since someone mentioned they don't hear DGAF talk about mundane coolers where you just win chips, here ya go. The one meaningful pot I won all session:

PLO. Former Bobby's Room pro limps EP. I 250 LP AhAd9d8d fold to him he calls pot 575.

Ac8c8h he cc 250 pot 1075. Generally don't check when flopping top boat on a paired fd board but when I am holding the 8 blocker would certainly be the time to do so. I knew the game was breaking soon so just wanted to give myself the best chance to win a large pot against top of his range so went with a bet this time.

Js he cc 600 pot 2275

3o he cc 2200

I show, he flashes As8s and mucks and I win because I outlucked him. Or maybe he had a hand he probably should have opened and I could have 3b and 3 streeted him for more. Or maybe he had a folding hand and I ran even better than it looks like I did. That's live poker for ya. We will never know. But having AA8x vs A8xx and seeing A88 come out is pretty damn lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irieguy View Post
Now, while I’m pretty sure I’m right about this I’m also drawing stone dead to implement any of it for myself. I’m running so bad lately it makes me puke and the god dam crops have surrounded my house and it feels like the next bad beat corn stalk will shatter my windows and kill me. But maybe you are more zen than I am. Maybe as soon as the action is complete and the chips are in you can click on your breathing app and start breathing. Don’t watch the run out. Don’t look at the showdown. Just breathe. The dealer will push the pot to the right seat (most of the time) and you can stack chips or reload when you finish breathing.
Thanks for the post. My favorite post of the year so far just for the realness of the above part. It's always refreshing to see when other people understand it's easier said than done. I personally just get sad when I am all in now because it's just so obvious that no chips will come back to me. And as always there is the matter of perception, as a friend that I play with only in one specific game just mentioned to me that every time we play together, I seem to win every all in (though recently getting aipf KJs vs his T7s in a pot that was straddled to $400 and chopping would disagree with the "every" part), whereas another friend has witnessed me lose AT to K8hh on T74hh vs whalezilla for 5k, AA to KJo on KQ9 vs the same whalezilla for 12k (~600bb), Q998 vs AhKs8h6s on AQ9hh for 7k and AAxx vs AAxx aipf for 22k (550bb) which accounts for 100% of my allins the last 2 sessions we have played together.

Last edited by Sean Snyder; Today at 03:39 AM.
Sean Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:03 AM   #6211
bodybuilder32
old hand
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,432
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Snyder View Post
I was supposed to meet up with David and DGAF for sushi tonight but woke up with a kinda swollen lip at 8am, took a Benadryl and woke up with a way more swollen lip at 1:30pm and the last 2 times this has happened it has resulted in my lips just swelling up around my whole mouth and me basically having to eat nothing and drink water through a straw for 24 hrs so I decided to cancel. I seem to have become allergic to something the past few months or maybe I am dying, idk. Don't feel like going to the doctor for an issue that so far has been a mild inconvenience at worst. I will give my 2p2 Sessions report if it makes you feel any better since I wrote down stuff anyway.

Was invited to this game a week or so ago, it was advertised to me as a 25/50/100 PLO/NLHE game at what was one of my usual spots late this summer through fall. Didn't really want to play $100 blind as I have been doing terribly the past 15 months other than November and turned +10k into -20k in December and at the time had turned +20k into -3k or something this month, but the game is supposed to be good, the host is a really cool guy I'm real friendly with and I haven't seen him in a couple months, and I could use a trip up there to do some bookkeeping in my safe deposit box aka see how much money I actually have in there, get more money to bring to San Diego because I'm stone broke down here cashwise and been borrowing monies and bring a friend some Commerce chips that he asked to borrow.

Get there and the lineup looks rougher than expected. Significantly worse than any PLO game I've played lately but significantly better than most NLHE games I've played. Certainly better than just about any public $100 game you will see, and it's a great group of people recreational and professional alike so good enough for me. Buy in 10k and a rec immediately asks what we are playing and somehow the advertised 25/50/100 half and half becomes 25/50 PLO and 50/100 holdem. Ok sure whatever, I can work with playing my best game at higher stakes. Kinda sucks because I'd way rather be 100bb deep than 200 at PLO but I don't want to be 50bb deep in holdem. Ideally I'd play infinite blinds deep in holdem and 40 deep in PLO but you get what you get.

Anyway, the game is nothing too extreme. It started at ~1pm and I was hoping to get out of there at 9-10pm since I just wanted to get 8 hours or so in and drive back to San Diego to rest. Been waking up ~1pm lately so waking up at 10am to get money and get to this game was a little painful. Game ended up breaking surprisingly early around 8pm and I ended up grabbing some food nearby with some of the guys and gals from the game at a place with the biggest quality of food to quality (or lack thereof) of service disparity that I can ever recall experiencing. I don't like naming people even in a positive light just in case they don't want anyone knowing where they are but a certain pro is a boss who treated us all to the meal.

I lose 8k and basically win 0 pots over $1000 until about 15 minutes before the game broke where I do finally win one decent pot. No big deal as far as poker goes, just annoying that I'm now on a 30k downswing this month from peak after a 30k downswing last month from peak. My only all in was when I was short stacked (I never rebuy until bust in reasonably tough games when PLO is in the mix) when I crai for I believe 2300 against a cbet of 350 into 900 3 ways on JT2cc with J9dd (any top pair is good 100% against this sizing I am quite sure). Opponent calls A3cc, we run it twice and he makes a flush on both boards for 5500. Every day is the same for steady eddy, nothing new to see here.

Worst hand:

Holdem. Early in the session. Former online nosebleeds/Bobby's Room reg limps ep, I iso A8cc to 400, sb who is unknown but very clearly a non pro says raise and decides on 1000, pro folds, I call. Ordinarily I'd auto assign this player AA/KK exactly but this is the 3rd hand he's 3bet in a row, although the other 2 were much larger sizes and didn't get shown down so this one is a bit off in comparison. Pot 2200.

4c4h2s (idk the actual suits. 4c is all that matters and it's rainbow)
check check. Not sure what to make of it. Would expect him to bet AA almost always and KK always. Maybe he has AK or something goofy.

Qc
he bets 1500 I call. Now I kinda feel like he actually has AA/KK again because he bet so confidently but whatever lets hit a club and stack him or an Ace and hopefully be up against KK. Or maybe he will have air and decide to have a queen and we can bluff. It's good to be optimistic about the possibilities but let's focus on hitting a clubby. Pot 5200.

7d
he snap checks, I fake think for like 3 seconds and jam 4300 effective, he snaps with KK and a recreational player has thoroughly destroyed me with clairvoyant decisions against my exact hand. He also runs very pure to let me turn a 9 out (good) club instead of a 3 out Ace (or brick to fold), then I missed an 8 outter for a hand where I stack him 100% of the time I hit the winning flush, and just win at least 5200 when I hit one of the 3 aces but if there's any one thing that we have established at this point, it's that every day is the same for steady eddy.

Anyway it's my worst hand because I used to actually be a great live poker player and when I knew exactly what someone had from his very first action (KK or AA) I would trust myself and play accordingly which resulted in doing things that appeared ridiculous but were correct at an alarming frequency because I am playing against people, not a piosolver sim. In this hand all it means is checking the flop, calling the turn and just giving up the river brick which it turns out is generally the correct way to play the hand anyway, and I should use lower flush draws as bluffs to maximize the amount of Ace highs I am bluffing out. Unfortunately one of the rules of live poker is simply that you just go for it way more often than you normally should so I felt kinda caught between a rock and a hard place, and I give credit to the player for tricking me for his whole stack by thoroughly convincing me he had AK or something and that I could win against his whole range by jamming.

Best hand: There were no best hands. I made no exceptional decisions and didn't deviate from my standard play in any meaningful way. If I had given up in the above hand, it would be my best hand and it still wouldn't be a very good hand, but I would have no worst hand because every other hand really played itself.

Since someone mentioned they don't hear DGAF talk about mundane coolers where you just win chips, here ya go. The one meaningful pot I won all session:

PLO. Former Bobby's Room pro limps EP. I 250 LP AhAd9d8d fold to him he calls pot 575.

Ac8c8h he cc 250 pot 1075. Generally don't check when flopping top boat on a paired fd board but when I am holding the 8 blocker would certainly be the time to do so. I knew the game was breaking soon so just wanted to give myself the best chance to win a large pot against top of his range so went with a bet this time.

Js he cc 600 pot 2275

3o he cc 2200

I show, he flashes As8s and mucks and I win because I outlucked him. Or maybe he had a hand he probably should have opened and I could have 3b and 3 streeted him for more. Or maybe he had a folding hand and I ran even better than it looks like I did. That's live poker for ya. We will never know. But having AA8x vs A8xx and seeing A88 come out is pretty damn lucky.



Thanks for the post. My favorite post of the year so far just for the realness of the above part. It's always refreshing to see when other people understand it's easier said than done. I personally just get sad when I am all in now because it's just so obvious that no chips will come back to me. And as always there is the matter of perception, as a friend that I play with only in one specific game just mentioned to me that every time we play together, I seem to win every all in (though recently getting aipf KJs vs his T7s in a pot that was straddled to $400 and chopping would disagree with the "every" part), whereas another friend has witnessed me lose AT to K8hh on T74hh vs whalezilla for 5k, AA to KJo on KQ9 vs the same whalezilla for 12k (~600bb), Q998 vs AhKs8h6s on AQ9hh for 7k and AAxx vs AAxx aipf for 22k (550bb) which accounts for 100% of my allins the last 2 sessions we have played together.
Can you whine and complain any harder? So sorry about your lips...
bodybuilder32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:02 AM   #6212
bodybuilder32
old hand
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,432
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

DGAF,

I have logged over 150 hrs at Venetian 2/5 and I know exactly who is the Vietnamese supergrinder is. Ive also seen the Venetian vlogger and his fiancé. Both looking miserable as f*** at the table. Its kind of weird they play at the same table often. I saw her pay off a huge bet and lose on the river to a guy with top pair baby kicker. She's def not scared money but reeked of a bad reg.


Im kind of surprised you like the Vietnamese supergriner so much. All of his table changing, seat changing, Ipod watching, lunch packing, wearing the same f***** outfit every single day.


Ive seen this guy sit over by the slot machines when the game gets short-handed in hopes of breaking the game. As soon as the floor comes over, there he comes right back without missing a beat! He'd make sure to avoid any eye contact with anyone and quickly rack up his chips so he could be first to get position on a whale at the next table.

I kept it friendly at the table and would pretend to laugh at his sophomoric humor. But I did things like turbomuck my cards whenever he would raise preflop to make a point of how big of a nit he is. If I checked to him, I would snap muck as soon as his hand moved to touch his chips to goad him into showing a bluff, which he never could do.


I think its good for the pod that you have these sorts of familiar "characters" that you play against frequently. The Villain descriptions you provide make your pod better than any content any vloggers are putting out imo. It really gets to the meat of live poker.

P.S. Can you have some guys on the podcast that people have actually heard of? Maybe Garret or Limon?

Last edited by bodybuilder32; Today at 06:15 AM.
bodybuilder32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:31 AM   #6213
Dubnjoy000
Pooh-Bah
 
Dubnjoy000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: ...Roaming in my travel blog...
Posts: 3,888
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodybuilder32 View Post
Can you whine and complain any harder? So sorry about your lips...
Wait, what!?! He just took the time to deliver a very solid and entertaining post with interesting HHs and all you can ponder to do is destroy it in 2 prompt sentences!???!!?? It seems like you are the little whiney one...

Last edited by Dubnjoy000; Today at 06:32 AM. Reason: please don't derail any further by answering to my post...
Dubnjoy000 is online now   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online