Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Medium-High Stakes Full Ring Discussion of $400+ pot-limit and no-limit and 5/10 live texas hold'em full ring games, situations and strategies

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2018, 10:36 PM   #4951
upswinging
adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 789
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_C_Slater View Post
Every job I've ever had has sucked my soul, but I've never had a white collar one. Kindergarten teacher actually seems like it'd be a really cushy job, but as a single middle aged male I would never go after a job like that, working with young kids. Nowadays I'd be too paranoid people would think I just wanted that job because I was scouting targets for my pedo pizza restaurant rape dungeon or something.
Every unskilled job out there is soul sucking. That's why you gotta bring more to the table. And every job eventually becomes boring.. that's when you start pushing for promotions or you find a different job/ employer. The additional pay and new problems/ responsibilities keeps work from getting too stale.
upswinging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:53 PM   #4952
icanadd
centurion
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pardoned by the Variance Police
Posts: 112
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

In my experience when things are going well people over estimate the impact of their choices / efforts and under estimate the impact of variance and vice versa.

This seems truer in ďlifeĒ than in poker to me. We all get run good and we all get run bad. I have run ďbetter than mostĒ

I have watched sales guys convinced the comish will last forever live it up buy the big house and the Benz. Couldnít possibly have any thing to do with the over all economic landscape they were goods gift to sales. Also I have seen the same sales guys with forlorn faces and cardboard boxes full of family pictures and bank notices ďunjustlyĒ ruined. Showing up for work late and not putting in the work had zero impact on their plight/outcome. Just a bad break in their eyes.

Variance is the course. We chose and swing the clubs. The score is the result. When we fail to prepare and blame the bounce or the rough we fail to be accountable to our goals or dreams. When the shot kicks off the cart path on the green we are not suddenly ready for the Ryder cup.

Donít let the run good keep you from working hard. Donít let the beats stop you from continuing to the dream.

Variance is the course we are given. The score is our choices interaction with the course. We can only get the results we want when we both run well , play well and manage the course we are given.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
icanadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:23 AM   #4953
TimeBomb
old hand
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,676
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGAF View Post
Solid post. I'm def in the camp that can't drive to the casino, win or lose 10k in a slow af game that depends on a ton of variance, walk back to my economy car in free parking, drive to the grocery store and use coupons, go home and fix a healthy dinner and study poker, get good sleep and exercise, rinse and repeat...

Spoiler:
Yeah my 10k+ per session swings got to me within the first 6 months. I just couldn't handle the swings in the 10/25nl game and I couldn't go back to 5/10nl because it was sort of like admitting failure. I think if I ever was going to go back to full time poker I would need some sort of psychologist or life coach to keep me consistently focused enough just to do what I know I need to do to win. I don't think I'm in the minority in this aspect, and its probably the downfall of a lot of aspiring pros. I can beat the 2/5 and 5/10 games in my area for a considerably hire hourly then my current work, and with some game selection the 10/25 as well, but the reality is I know I won't, or I just won't put in the column to do it. I worked 80 hrs this week because I had to, but I would never WANT to work that many even if the games were good and fun.
TimeBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:01 AM   #4954
borg23
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 7,766
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuserounder View Post
This is a great point that is absolutely essential. I think any pro who's "made it" could pick out 3-4 hands that were absolutely vital to turning his career in one direction or the other. In reality, in my four year journey starting in 2014 to build a bankroll, go pro and move up the stakes (I also had a pretty big sample size of live poker in 2004-2008), there were probably 15-20 hands, some of which I may not remember so well... But that's still an insanely small sample. I still remember a beat at 2/5 on my first or second attempt to move up when I got it in good for just a massive pot and lost. It moved me down and the opportunity cost of those things is massive and the effects percolate for months, if not years (if you're slower to get to one stake, you're slower to get to the next stake, and so on). I took a brutal beat in the first Main Event I played or I was a near lock to cash, which would have been huge for me then.

Of course, the opposite can be true too. It took me a couple attempts to move to 5/T, but the heater I went on the last time I moved up was just massive. I went from shot taking to almost fully rolled in like 120 hours. I ran good to have the games running frequently in my area (it's pretty cyclical) at the time I was trying to shot take. I ran good to be in the casino at the right times when the games started. I ran good to be there when two or three action players happened to show up at the same time, and I was the only really good player there. I won a massive pot with a semi-cooler against one of the action players. These things all stack up.

I also ran really bad in some tournaments early in my career that could have sped things up a ton, but then I ran really good to ship a tournament this summer that enabled me to take nearly 100% of my Main Event. Then again, I ran really good in the smallest tourney I played all summer. Then again, the timing was absolutely necessary. Then again, I ran horrible in two stretches of the Main. Then again, they were early on Day 1 (you can almost always survive runbad early on Day 1 if you're determined) and Day 4 (already ITM).

The layers to this stuff are almost beyond human comprehension, and they're all indirectly linked. Like, theoretically if I had the power to go back and change the result of that 2/5 hand a few years ago, or that Main Event hand, I might be at 10/20+ now. On the other hand, you could flip like 2 or 3 hands from just the last five months that might swing me back to 2/5... or you could flip 2 or 3 hands the last two or three months that might swing me up to T/20+.

And, since it's sometimes hard to recognize these long-term impacts as a human, there's a chance there are a few hands I'm totally forgetting that could also do the same. I know I was down to like $70 with my bankroll on the table when I was building up at $1/2. I ran it up to $760 that session. It was New Year's Eve 2013 into 2014, before I started tracking my results in my app, and I don't remember a single hand from that session. I was reloading my roll if I went busto, but who knows how things would have played out? Those 2-6 hours may have made the difference in whether or not I made it as a pro, and I don't remember a single hand from that session.

Or you could go back farther, when I was in college playing a lot online. I busted the last $2K of a roll I had up to like 6-8K playing, I think, 1/2 NL or as the online kids would say 200NL. Getting down to $2K was massive runbad. Going from 2K to $0 was just insane tilt. That's the last time I tilted badly, and it took me out of the game for a long time... but it laid the foundation for my nitty bankroll management and tilt control that I think gives me an essential long-term edge in live poker. So was that run bad or run good?

Who knows where I'd be today if I never went busto online. Perhaps I'd have gone for it in 2008 instead of 2014. I could be a millionaire, or I could have run it up and degenned off thousands and thousands on tilt, never to play again. I'll never know. I personally view that as a key point in my poker development, and a net positive. At the time it was absolutely devastating.



This is a tremendous point that we don't make enough in society. If you think there's a big survivorship bias in poker, look at business. There's almost zero regard for the luck factor. Most people don't even attempt to look for the run good/run bad in life if they don't have a gambling background. They don't see all the 70/30s or 90/10s that held for them in business, because most don't look at things that way in life. In fact, I won't get into the politics of it ITT obviously, but this has a lot to do with my views in that regard - people that make it in business often view it all as hard work and skill, and overlook the luck factor, and this can lead to really negative views of those who don't become as successful. I recognized a lot of this from my broadcasting career, where I truly believed that I had the talent, the experience, the learned skills and the work ethic, but I never made any real money and ultimately had to give up. (No complaints at all, though, I love what I do now and I was both lucky and blessed to be able to have that option.)

I heard a story on a podcast about a VC fund investing in the equivalent of Instacart years ago, but it was too early for it and it didn't work... Now it's a huge success. Timing is huge in the business world, too. I once had a business idea while I was working three jobs, so I figured I'd wait six months to a year and go for it. Six months later, someone else did it and made tons of money. Granted, they may have already been building the business when I had the idea, but those types of things are huge in all careers... and generally overlooked outside the gambling world.

Random aside - I also think they're huge in sports. I think a lot of times the "clutch" players just run better in big spots. Some are truly clutch, though, which really just means they don't get as nervous in big spots.



Yup, this is a great point too. I know a very good pro who went two years without having a losing month. He did a few things to make this possible... He probably gave up a couple BB/hr to play a lower risk style, he played in very soft games, and he was a beast with consistent volume. That said, he ran super hot to not have any downswings there and I don't know if he ever recognized it.

Almost every new young pro "crusher" has never had a downswing. I know a few that I've seen come up in my room who crushed 1/2 or 1/3, moved up to 2/5 and were making some horrible plays but ran white hot and then improved before they leveled off a bit on the run good. I've seen some of these guys go a few years without a downswing, to the point that they believed that those of us who had downswings were 100% just playing bad. Eventually they have one and start to understand.
As to the bolded- i have 2 hands. And i lost both.
The first was when i first got stacked playing live in 1/2 nl. I was playing like a timid little *****. Once i got felted I was like oh that's all it's not big deal. And i stopped playing scared.

The other was maybe 3-4 years ago. I was getting my teeth kicked in all day in a great game. I was actually about to tilt which is so rare for me.Then i get felted in a hand i was over 99.5% to win when the money went in. The entire table went nuts and i just sat there with such a sense of calm coming over me and was just in this zen like state. Because that was as bad as it could get. Anyone else at the table would have gone on ape**** monkey tilt, possibly for weeks. In my head i was laughing at them all.I opened my game a lot after that pushing tons of small edges and not giving a **** if i lost as long as I could sleep at night knowing i made the right play.

Like i said my brain works in a weird way.


In about 6.5 years of playing full time online poker i had one losing month.That's how bad people were back then and probably how good i ran. My best month ever was maybe 18 months or so into it.I was buried for the months a few days before Christmas. I was a miserable human being (this would never happen today) 24/7 and completely entitled. I then had the best week or so I would ever have in online poker and had my best month ever online.

But it's seriously sick that if i didn't go on a sick heater on bodog clearing the second half of that inital bonus i would have quit the site. I would have a lot less money than i do now and my life could be a lot different. I was also an idiot who had close to 90 pct of his net worth stuck on neteller. I am extremely lucky i got it all back. Tons of other sites and processors got shut down over the years where people got totally ****ed.Going foward i occasionally lost small amounts here and there but nothing big. I'm pretty sure if i never got my neteller money i would have a job today. That's pretty sick to think about.

Live I've have tons of losing months. But i'm also lazy so a lot of those can be 2-50 hours long. I had a 600 hour stretch 2 years ago where I would have made more working in McDonalds. It's good to play in games you're super rolled for. It really didn't phase me much. Amazing the difference 10 years can make.
borg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:09 AM   #4955
borg23
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 7,766
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGAF View Post
Gonna devote one cup of coffee to this thread every Tuesday (give or take)...

Yeah- 0 of the current hotshots (outside of Tom Marchese, Doug Polk and maybe another nosebleed guy I'm not thinking of) were in my games 10 years ago. And I played in the biggest (non-nosebleed) games in SD/LA/Vegas consistently over that time-->

Can't think of one guy who just grinded 10/20 cash or whatever the entire time and stayed flush, happy, hotshotty, etc...

It's been a quick revolving door for almost all hotshots/my phone is filled with baller ghosts. There are reasons for this outside of variance, but variance is the biggest reason imo.
I'm curious- he was always super nice when i played with him, def not baller or hotshotty nor crazy action but have you played much with gabe thaler? I barely play nl anymore but played a lot of 10/20 nl with him years ago and ive seen him still grinding those games.
borg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:16 AM   #4956
borg23
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 7,766
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGAF View Post
I have 0 regret in having kids (the opposite actually- I LOVE them and GAF about money). Just saying most do have them, and then the super tough/rare career path you and a few others itt seem to have with poker becomes all but impossible.

And when you say people already in poker as a career should focus on A, B and C, and people not already in it as a career should really think it over/most likely just not do it given the current state of poker, I think we are in agreement and I hope that's a pivot itt actually.
yea we're in agreement.

And when you talk about your kids on your podcast it's abundantly clear how ****ing happy they make you.

that's why in an old post when you said you had some crazy high monthly nut i said **** all that materialistic stuff, be a great dad and your kids will be happy and so will you.
borg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:21 AM   #4957
borg23
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 7,766
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGAF View Post
Solid post. I'm def in the camp that can't drive to the casino, win or lose 10k in a slow af game that depends on a ton of variance, walk back to my economy car in free parking, drive to the grocery store and use coupons, go home and fix a healthy dinner and study poker, get good sleep and exercise, rinse and repeat...

Spoiler:
hahah somehow i'm able to do most of this except the exercise and supermarket coupons (i am a credit card bonus whore though.)
i love joking about one timing pots worth more than my economy car.
i'm really good at separating +ev plays where i lost thousands from wasting money in real life.

but yea time bomb made a lot of good points.most people aren't wired this way.

hell some are way better poker players than me and can even afford massive life leaks.
borg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM   #4958
water69
journeyman
 
water69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: On Tilt
Posts: 309
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGAF View Post
It's likely unhealthy to think about variance as much as I have. In fact, I'm sure it is unhealthy. But I did it and can't stop as long as I'm playing poker. Life was better when Santa came down the chimney imo.
Itís certainly healthy to understand variance, but itís definitely not healthy if you obsess over it, because itís something thatís out of your control. And from vast experience I can say that obsessing (or even giving much thought) about things you canít control only leads to anxiety.
water69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:26 PM   #4959
PokerPrince
old hand
 
PokerPrince's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,753
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

Quote:
Originally Posted by water69 View Post
Itís certainly healthy to understand variance, but itís definitely not healthy if you obsess over it, because itís something thatís out of your control. And from vast experience I can say that obsessing (or even giving much thought) about things you canít control only leads to anxiety.
A+
PokerPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:57 PM   #4960
borg23
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 7,766
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

Quote:
Originally Posted by water69 View Post
Itís certainly healthy to understand variance, but itís definitely not healthy if you obsess over it, because itís something thatís out of your control. And from vast experience I can say that obsessing (or even giving much thought) about things you canít control only leads to anxiety.
excellent post
borg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:44 PM   #4961
Sean Snyder
centurion
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 163
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuserounder View Post
lots o' words
I just read this whole post and it's now one of my favorites in the thread. I have the "well if this happened, then maybe...but because it didn't, maybe it worked out better" conversation with myself more than I'd like to.

I believe it was surfdoc who posed the question to gman a while back when gman briefly took the reins on this thread, but I would love to hear the story of "the hands that mattered most" from regs in large games and just anyone that has actually been around for a long time. Maybe "sessions that mattered most" would be more relevant for some.
Sean Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM   #4962
jrr63
The Situation
 
jrr63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Saguaroland
Posts: 3,342
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

Since Sean asked, this was clearly my most significant hand over a very long poker career. The game was 25-50 pot limit holdem during WSOP when it was still at Binions so mid 90s. In those days I wasn't really playing full time but every year spent the entire month of May at the series - it was the only time big games ran regularly (at least that I had access to).

I'd come out to the series with my entire poker roll, about 10k and had run it up to about 16k. And like many who played in that game I'd have the whole roll on the table each time I sat down. I don't remember the exact money details of the hand, but I was on the button with QhTh; UTG raised it up to 200 and had 2 callers to me and I called along. Flop came something like QQ3 with two to a black suit. UTG bet out full pot, one caller, then one of the legendary whales of the day raised full pot. I couldn't fold against him, and perhaps should have raised, but I hoped just calling might bring in the original raiser who might as well have had his kings or aces on his forehead like Indian poker when he raised UTG and then bet full pot. But he and the first caller both folded.

Turn was a blank, something like a 6 or a 7, whale bet out full pot and I just called again obv praying for a ten on the river. But river was a deuce and whale bet enough to put me all in. I called and he showed Q-4. He was the only one in that game I'd have played like that against - against any one else at that table my kicker would have been worthless with that action. Obv got lucky that whale did not have a bigger Q or hit his off card - he would have played it the same.

That pot gave me for the first time a roll that was somewhat adequate for the stakes I was playing . I've played a lot of big pots over the years but that was by far the most memorable one. If I'd lost it would have been heading back to New Mexico cash broke.
jrr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:44 PM   #4963
Cbrewer4
adept
 
Cbrewer4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 781
2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

My most significant was in a game where i had around 60k roll at time and was stuck 20k. Was a 5/10 that had become 10/25 because whale ran 5k into 100k, not joking, anyways put like 20k (in for 40) m on table figuring if i lost i could play 5/5 and run it back up again. Got dealt AJ raised pre 4 people including whale called i cbet AJ4ss pro behind me called and whale shoved for what was 55k effective but had my 23 covered as well. I called pro folded and I held vs 75ss. Big one to win and scary because he insisted on only running it once. Iíve played some pots bigger than that one since but nothing was ever as scary or stressful.

Funny thing is I lost like 2k on day still, but that pot stands out way more than any ones i played on big winning days


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Cbrewer4; Yesterday at 06:52 PM.
Cbrewer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:14 PM   #4964
Liveidiot
centurion
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 116
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

Eyeopeners these last posts. Thanks for sharing. My own experiences in similar spots are for a lot less money so I wont bother you to read it.
Liveidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:23 PM   #4965
surf doc
adept
 
surf doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: the poster formerly knwn as surfdoc
Posts: 1,072
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Snyder View Post
I just read this whole post and it's now one of my favorites in the thread. I have the "well if this happened, then maybe...but because it didn't, maybe it worked out better" conversation with myself more than I'd like to.

I believe it was surfdoc who posed the question to gman a while back when gman briefly took the reins on this thread, but I would love to hear the story of "the hands that mattered most" from regs in large games and just anyone that has actually been around for a long time. Maybe "sessions that mattered most" would be more relevant for some.
Your memory is good, it was me. My memory is also good but I am just older than you.

I have mad respect for Gman and suspect he legit doesn't recall the hands because they were just hands of poker. I also think there is a small chance he doesn't recall because we all tend to remember the big hands we lost. The nosebleed sample is sufficiently small that, as dgaf says, the crushers are often at the top since they haven't actually lost many of the biggest pots played at the biggest stakes. Or maybe gman just missed the question, or just doesn't care since he is too busy banging supermodels. My money is on the last one.

(I know this isn't anything you don't know obv)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrr63 View Post
Since Sean asked, this was clearly my most significant hand over a very long poker career. The game was 25-50 pot limit holdem during WSOP when it was still at Binions so mid 90s. In those days I wasn't really playing full time but every year spent the entire month of May at the series - it was the only time big games ran regularly (at least that I had access to).

I'd come out to the series with my entire poker roll, about 10k and had run it up to about 16k. And like many who played in that game I'd have the whole roll on the table each time I sat down. I don't remember the exact money details of the hand, but I was on the button with QhTh; UTG raised it up to 200 and had 2 callers to me and I called along. Flop came something like QQ3 with two to a black suit. UTG bet out full pot, one caller, then one of the legendary whales of the day raised full pot. I couldn't fold against him, and perhaps should have raised, but I hoped just calling might bring in the original raiser who might as well have had his kings or aces on his forehead like Indian poker when he raised UTG and then bet full pot. But he and the first caller both folded.

Turn was a blank, something like a 6 or a 7, whale bet out full pot and I just called again obv praying for a ten on the river. But river was a deuce and whale bet enough to put me all in. I called and he showed Q-4. He was the only one in that game I'd have played like that against - against any one else at that table my kicker would have been worthless with that action. Obv got lucky that whale did not have a bigger Q or hit his off card - he would have played it the same.

That pot gave me for the first time a roll that was somewhat adequate for the stakes I was playing . I've played a lot of big pots over the years but that was by far the most memorable one. If I'd lost it would have been heading back to New Mexico cash broke.
Having trips, ok ish kicker is such a gross spot super deep for your whole roll vs a whale. But the part that stands out is that you have pfr on KK-AA because he raised early and bet full pot. Times have changed so much but when a guy pots it 5 ways on this board as pfr that would definitely not be the standard conclusion about his range.
surf doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:27 PM   #4966
surf doc
adept
 
surf doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: the poster formerly knwn as surfdoc
Posts: 1,072
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbrewer4 View Post
My most significant was in a game where i had around 60k roll at time and was stuck 20k. Was a 5/10 that had become 10/25 because whale ran 5k into 100k, not joking, anyways put like 20k (in for 40) m on table figuring if i lost i could play 5/5 and run it back up again. Got dealt AJ raised pre 4 people including whale called i cbet AJ4ss pro behind me called and whale shoved for what was 55k effective but had my 23 covered as well. I called pro folded and I held vs 75ss. Big one to win and scary because he insisted on only running it once. Iíve played some pots bigger than that one since but nothing was ever as scary or stressful.

Funny thing is I lost like 2k on day still, but that pot stands out way more than any ones i played on big winning days


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is amazing. Winning a bankroll sized pot is super mind blowing. I mean 1800bb is wow.
surf doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:52 PM   #4967
gman06
adept
 
gman06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,036
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

Quote:
Originally Posted by water69 View Post
Itís certainly healthy to understand variance, but itís definitely not healthy if you obsess over it, because itís something thatís out of your control. And from vast experience I can say that obsessing (or even giving much thought) about things you canít control only leads to anxiety.
At risk of sounding like a broken record with prior posts I've made over the years...

The above sentence is one of the most important in my life. Although still a long ways to go, my improved/continued ability to focus exclusively on what's in my control has brought me so much more peace daily and has improved my poker game, technically and mentally/emotionally, quite a bit.

A major component to this thought process is that I am going to work sickeningly hard at everything that is in my control, from relationships to fun to fitness to poker. It's not that I know better than anyone else to what extent variance has on poker/life/etc, I just choose to not to focus on it. (Although I do have some idea as someone who over 15 years has split his career playing infinite high stakes online hands and then live nosebleed hands.) I also think it is INSANELY hard but probably more likely impossible to even come close to close to having any real idea how well/poor one runs (let alone how well a peer of your runs), even after half a lifetime of poker, in part because of the way the human brain works and the tricks it will always play on itself. Really smart people often suffer from the worst cognitive distortions of all and because they know they are smart are the hardest to convince of anything else.

Whenever I blame most of my good or bad fortune (irrelevant of whether it's poker or anything else) over a period of time on variance, it tends to lead me toward a path of frequent inactivity and thus anxiety in my case. Because I'm liable to think "almost all this is out of my control anyway," I'm much less likely to execute what is within my control. Although rarely discussed in this thread, making excuses for something happening/not happening in life is so deeply human, and something I do plenty of myself. But by focusing on executing what I can as often as I can, I'm able to keep these excuses from impeding my progress in a way that they used to. I suspect these excuses get in the way of many others goals as well.

Disclaimer: No one will ever convince me of how hot I run in everything more than myself. I think it is a much happier/healthier/easy to connect to others way of thinking. Sure, maybe all my thoughts above are all BS as a result
gman06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:24 PM   #4968
YGOchamp
old hand
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,292
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbrewer4 View Post
My most significant was in a game where i had around 60k roll at time and was stuck 20k. Was a 5/10 that had become 10/25 because whale ran 5k into 100k, not joking, anyways put like 20k (in for 40) m on table figuring if i lost i could play 5/5 and run it back up again. Got dealt AJ raised pre 4 people including whale called i cbet AJ4ss pro behind me called and whale shoved for what was 55k effective but had my 23 covered as well. I called pro folded and I held vs 75ss. Big one to win and scary because he insisted on only running it once. I’ve played some pots bigger than that one since but nothing was ever as scary or stressful.

Funny thing is I lost like 2k on day still, but that pot stands out way more than any ones i played on big winning days


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I find it crazy that w/ a 60k roll you actually had 40k+ on you lmao. When I had ~50k or so, I don't think I ever brought more then 5k with me.

I've played a few massive pots that were around ~10% of my net, but nothing like this where winning or losing means 20k vs 60k roll
YGOchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:53 PM   #4969
jrr63
The Situation
 
jrr63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Saguaroland
Posts: 3,342
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf doc View Post
Having trips, ok ish kicker is such a gross spot super deep for your whole roll vs a whale. But the part that stands out is that you have pfr on KK-AA because he raised early and bet full pot. Times have changed so much but when a guy pots it 5 ways on this board as pfr that would definitely not be the standard conclusion about his range.
That has changed a lot over the years - in those games not that many were raising UTG with very wide ranges. And this guy in particular was only going to have QQ+ or AK, and he couldn't have QQ on that board. And he'd check the AK there.

Last edited by jrr63; Yesterday at 11:54 PM. Reason: clarification
jrr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:13 AM   #4970
OMGSwineFlu
centurion
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
Posts: 169
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

DGAF, I appreciate you articulating your concept of the "New Poker Pro", one that maintains a secondary job in addition to poker. This resonates with me.

I've been in the corporate world for five years now, and despite the monotony at times, I am very appreciative of the variance free money, insurance, 401k, etc. I play around 750 hours of poker per year (5/T and T/20), and maintaining a job allows me to not get too high or too low on the session swings, despite them usually representing 2x my paycheck.

Maintaining both a job and playing poker also makes you more confident in both areas. At work, you're more likely to be assertive, speak your mind, and "take a stand" as in the short-term, you could depend on poker as an income to bridge any employment gap. On the tables, you're also more likely to make the best play as you know you're bankroll could be maintained with your other source of income.

Thank you for sharing your wealth of experience and forewarning us of the dangers of poker as a full-time endeavor. I constantly refer back to your story when my mind wanders and entertains the desire to quit my corporate job.
OMGSwineFlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:01 AM   #4971
borg23
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 7,766
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrr63 View Post
That has changed a lot over the years - in those games not that many were raising UTG with very wide ranges. And this guy in particular was only going to have QQ+ or AK, and he couldn't have QQ on that board. And he'd check the AK there.
The question was about pots that changed people's poker trajectory. The crazy thing is if the guy who led out had aa/kk and the whale pops him and doesn't get called called maybe the guy with aa/kk goes broke on the hand. And maybe he was shot taking and goes poker busto bc of it. It's also possible it wasn't a big deal to him but there really is all kinds of luck in poker.
borg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:27 AM   #4972
KoreanBrad
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 77
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

most pivotal hand i was playing a private game 25/50 in japan that i got invited to brought all 30k to my name, ran it up to 70k from my 2nd 15k bi. there was another young pro who bought in 5k and had like 60 infront of him.

i open 200 a4hh 6 handed, he 3b to 1k in bb, i make it 3600 cuz im not scared to lose my roll and he is. he calls flop 823hh he leads KK i blast huge he shoves then all the sudden i realize he wasn't scared either Lmao whoops not sure why im pushing variance for my whole roll vs the only other good player with 4 massive whales there but i got lucky and hit, we didn't even know what running it twice was back then

ended up winning 180 on the session, 1 of the yakuza japs helped me launder it back to korea, then got a sick pad in seoul and spent my whole roll in 3 months partying

so actually i was going broke no matter if i won that pot or not so i guess it meant nothing

...poker/life use to be way more fun Lol

Last edited by KoreanBrad; Today at 06:33 AM.
KoreanBrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online