Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Medium-High Stakes Full Ring Discussion of $400+ pot-limit and no-limit and 5/10 live texas hold'em full ring games, situations and strategies

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2018, 08:31 PM   #4601
NoExit
centurion
 
NoExit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: South FL
Posts: 185
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Snyder View Post
My new least favorite thing in poker is "winning" regs talking about how good they perceive the game to be at the table, how much they think they're making an hour, etc.

Here's the thing. Stop saying stuff like that. I get it, you're playing in a game where you can win a whole $1000 in a session which is a decent chunk of money in the real world and you've confused the fact that you're able to fold 80% of your hands on the first round of betting while your opponents play 80% of their hands as some sort of actual talent.

I have bad news. Your opponents are the ones winning at life and just want to have fun and splash some chips around. They can hear you snickering about their starting hand selection. They know you're talking about them. That's not the way to keep a poker game running, and it's not the way to talk about other human beings who are treating you with respect and just want to enjoy themselves while giving you the best of it.

I have worse news. What separates you from most recreational players is their boredom. If they wanted to, most of them could play just about as well as you. At least to the point where the result will probably be that you both lose to the rake. What separates you from a true professional player is something that will take many hundreds if not thousands of hours to come close to, and is potentially unattainable.

Like 75% of my hours since the end of May have been in pretty much the smallest games I've ever played seriously live since 2007, so while I'm sure this has been a thing for a long time, it's a relatively new thing to me.
At what stakes do you see this behavior? I rarely see this at 5/10. Sometimes I'll see it at 5/5. I assume these type of "winning regs" who aren't that skilled but can beat the game by waiting for value hands don't survive at 5/10+ to be making these comments.
NoExit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:52 PM   #4602
David Naimark
stranger
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 1
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

Hello All--It's David; DGAFs assistant on the "Solicited Advice" podcast. He asked me to drop in and post a quick note.

First off, thank you so much to those that have listened to the podcast and posted some good press for us. It's actually quite a bit of work to get them done (especially for DGAF; who is "producing" them), and it feels great to get feedback (positive or negative actually--because then we know people are listening, and it lets us know we are provoking some thought/discussion).

Second, it's great to see that some of the episodes have started some really interesting discussions here on this board. If possible, please submit your questions (or desired topics) to our email (solicitedadvicepodcast@gmail.com). That way we can queue them up and cover them on the air.

Great thoughts about the whole "aging dilemma". I'm thinking we should have a whole show on aging (since everybody, to my knowledge, has to deal with it). Really not sure where things will go in the future--I hope it is true that technology will ultimately make us live longer and more functionally, but I have my doubts. I do think nature may have a natural "off switch" for us. [I should say--I'm neither religious nor political; so my perspective is definitely not driven by any agenda).

Homelessness is such a vexing dilemma. I constantly struggle with how to think about it. All you have to do is walk around San Diego, Los Angeles, or San Francisco to see what a scourge it is; and what we are doing clearly isn't working. We just went through a horrible Hepatitis A epidemic in San Diego (related to the lack of bathroom facilities) and it was just a fiasco. Very interested in peoples thoughts. Again--I'm thinking might be good to devote a whole episode to this issue.

Thanks again everybody. It's a privilege to be able to reach out and engender creative thinking and maybe make some people feel a bit better about themselves and their role in this crazy ride. Again please submit questions, thoughts, topics, suggestions to our email address:
solicitedadvicepodcast@gmail.com
David Naimark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:15 AM   #4603
borg23
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 7,666
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Snyder View Post
My new least favorite thing in poker is "winning" regs talking about how good they perceive the game to be at the table, how much they think they're making an hour, etc.

Here's the thing. Stop saying stuff like that. I get it, you're playing in a game where you can win a whole $1000 in a session which is a decent chunk of money in the real world and you've confused the fact that you're able to fold 80% of your hands on the first round of betting while your opponents play 80% of their hands as some sort of actual talent.

I have bad news. Your opponents are the ones winning at life and just want to have fun and splash some chips around. They can hear you snickering about their starting hand selection. They know you're talking about them. That's not the way to keep a poker game running, and it's not the way to talk about other human beings who are treating you with respect and just want to enjoy themselves while giving you the best of it.

I have worse news. What separates you from most recreational players is their boredom. If they wanted to, most of them could play just about as well as you. At least to the point where the result will probably be that you both lose to the rake. What separates you from a true professional player is something that will take many hundreds if not thousands of hours to come close to, and is potentially unattainable.

Like 75% of my hours since the end of May have been in pretty much the smallest games I've ever played seriously live since 2007, so while I'm sure this has been a thing for a long time, it's a relatively new thing to me.
+1 and well said
If you play poker full time, beating people splashing around isn't an accomplishment.Make sure they have fun.
borg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:19 AM   #4604
pilliapina
grinder
 
pilliapina's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 486
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

Thank you David!

I do think that it would be nice if you had more poker content on the podcast, because your main audience will be forum members and there are already a lot of other podcasts out there that cover philosophical / life / science topics.

Some hand stories from DGAF with his emotional experience included and more stories from "The Abyss" would be appreciated for sure! I think the raw, real and deep way in which DGAF spoke about his experience as a poker pro is what really drew most of us into this thread and made it a 2+2 classic. Would also just enjoy some hand histories ��

As for the "aging dilemma" I think all of human history has been a struggle against nature. Once upon a time it was normal to die or be crippled by polio, for most children to die before adulthood, for most people to live a very simple and poor life as farmers, etc.

It's hard for me to imagine what the fundamental barriers that can't be crossed would be, given that our tech seems now to be progressing at an exponential rate with more people and computers etc in science than ever before and that many times before in history we've done things that were previously unthinkable, or just thought to be against the law of God or Nature.

Last edited by pilliapina; 07-12-2018 at 09:48 AM.
pilliapina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:51 PM   #4605
Petrucci
veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 2,097
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilliapina View Post
Thank you David!

I do think that it would be nice if you had more poker content on the podcast, because your main audience will be forum members and there are already a lot of other podcasts out there that cover philosophical / life / science topics.

Some hand stories from DGAF with his emotional experience included and more stories from "The Abyss" would be appreciated for sure! I think the raw, real and deep way in which DGAF spoke about his experience as a poker pro is what really drew most of us into this thread and made it a 2+2 classic. Would also just enjoy some hand histories ��

As for the "aging dilemma" I think all of human history has been a struggle against nature. Once upon a time it was normal to die or be crippled by polio, for most children to die before adulthood, for most people to live a very simple and poor life as farmers, etc.

It's hard for me to imagine what the fundamental barriers that can't be crossed would be, given that our tech seems now to be progressing at an exponential rate with more people and computers etc in science than ever before and that many times before in history we've done things that were previously unthinkable, or just thought to be against the law of God or Nature.

+1. Would love to hear more poker stuff, both regarding to mental issues connected to poker, mental challenges in poker, different forms of tilt, how to create and maintain good games and absolutely more about the Abyss.
Petrucci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:35 PM   #4606
Sean Snyder
centurion
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 133
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

Every once in a rare while I will have a dream that involves poker. These dreams are typically quite unrealistic.

Watching someone get dealt AA vs two players holding KK and getting aipf 3 ways on the ME FT bubble and having 100% equity on the flop against the shorter stack and 100% equity on the turn against the larger stack was even less realistic than any dream I've ever had. I was drinking with DGAF and watching this on TV and I honestly half thought I was hallucinating when this hand started happening.
Sean Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:17 AM   #4607
DGAF
Pooh-Bah
 
DGAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Coast
Posts: 5,490
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Snyder View Post
My new least favorite thing in poker is "winning" regs talking about how good they perceive the game to be at the table, how much they think they're making an hour, etc.

Here's the thing. Stop saying stuff like that. I get it, you're playing in a game where you can win a whole $1000 in a session which is a decent chunk of money in the real world and you've confused the fact that you're able to fold 80% of your hands on the first round of betting while your opponents play 80% of their hands as some sort of actual talent.

I have bad news. Your opponents are the ones winning at life and just want to have fun and splash some chips around. They can hear you snickering about their starting hand selection. They know you're talking about them. That's not the way to keep a poker game running, and it's not the way to talk about other human beings who are treating you with respect and just want to enjoy themselves while giving you the best of it.

I have worse news. What separates you from most recreational players is their boredom. If they wanted to, most of them could play just about as well as you. At least to the point where the result will probably be that you both lose to the rake. What separates you from a true professional player is something that will take many hundreds if not thousands of hours to come close to, and is potentially unattainable.

Like 75% of my hours since the end of May have been in pretty much the smallest games I've ever played seriously live since 2007, so while I'm sure this has been a thing for a long time, it's a relatively new thing to me.
Great post. I've been on this **** for a decade tho! Clueless is the poker world. Clueless!
DGAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:18 AM   #4608
DGAF
Pooh-Bah
 
DGAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Coast
Posts: 5,490
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathCabForTootie View Post
^^^^^ this in SPADES. There is nothing more irritating that hearing this nonsense from average to decent regs in my room. I usually am the one to start the taunting and/or booze drinking to move the conversation away from this.

As a rec player who wants to have fun and try to win a few bucks in the process, please please please talk about ANYTHING other than the state of the game(s) in the room. We'll all be better off.
Shifting conversations/vibe is an art. Gj.
DGAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:21 AM   #4609
DGAF
Pooh-Bah
 
DGAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Coast
Posts: 5,490
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExit View Post
At what stakes do you see this behavior? I rarely see this at 5/10. Sometimes I'll see it at 5/5. I assume these type of "winning regs" who aren't that skilled but can beat the game by waiting for value hands don't survive at 5/10+ to be making these comments.
Spot on. They can't win higher and it's def a $5 bb epidemic.

Spoiler:
DGAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:24 AM   #4610
DGAF
Pooh-Bah
 
DGAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Coast
Posts: 5,490
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Naimark View Post
Hello All--It's David; DGAFs assistant on the "Solicited Advice" podcast. He asked me to drop in and post a quick note.

First off, thank you so much to those that have listened to the podcast and posted some good press for us. It's actually quite a bit of work to get them done (especially for DGAF; who is "producing" them), and it feels great to get feedback (positive or negative actually--because then we know people are listening, and it lets us know we are provoking some thought/discussion).

Second, it's great to see that some of the episodes have started some really interesting discussions here on this board. If possible, please submit your questions (or desired topics) to our email (solicitedadvicepodcast@gmail.com). That way we can queue them up and cover them on the air.

Great thoughts about the whole "aging dilemma". I'm thinking we should have a whole show on aging (since everybody, to my knowledge, has to deal with it). Really not sure where things will go in the future--I hope it is true that technology will ultimately make us live longer and more functionally, but I have my doubts. I do think nature may have a natural "off switch" for us. [I should say--I'm neither religious nor political; so my perspective is definitely not driven by any agenda).

Homelessness is such a vexing dilemma. I constantly struggle with how to think about it. All you have to do is walk around San Diego, Los Angeles, or San Francisco to see what a scourge it is; and what we are doing clearly isn't working. We just went through a horrible Hepatitis A epidemic in San Diego (related to the lack of bathroom facilities) and it was just a fiasco. Very interested in peoples thoughts. Again--I'm thinking might be good to devote a whole episode to this issue.

Thanks again everybody. It's a privilege to be able to reach out and engender creative thinking and maybe make some people feel a bit better about themselves and their role in this crazy ride. Again please submit questions, thoughts, topics, suggestions to our email address:
solicitedadvicepodcast@gmail.com
David is the man. He truly has a beautiful mind (never saw the movie so it's just a description. not a reference). Send anything you want to discuss to the email address he listed and we will take it on. Thanks all!
DGAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:25 AM   #4611
DGAF
Pooh-Bah
 
DGAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Coast
Posts: 5,490
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg23 View Post
+1 and well said
If you play poker full time, beating people splashing around isn't an accomplishment.Make sure they have fun.
yup
DGAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:37 AM   #4612
DGAF
Pooh-Bah
 
DGAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Coast
Posts: 5,490
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrucci View Post
+1. Would love to hear more poker stuff, both regarding to mental issues connected to poker, mental challenges in poker, different forms of tilt, how to create and maintain good games and absolutely more about the Abyss.
OK you guys got me. David is out of town and I'm at his place. The microphone we use is just staring at me and there is a big boy Asylum in the fridge. I'm gonna attempt to record some poker **** tonight (and maybe tomorrow) solo as to get it out of the way a little.

In general though I want the show to be my strategic mind and tough love approach combined with David's educated mind and therapeutic approach tackling anything and everything that is thrown at us. So if you want poker related content beyond what I spew tonight (and maybe tomorrow), please send us some poker-related issues...

Thanks guys. Gonna podcast in just a few.
DGAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:48 AM   #4613
DeathCabForTootie
Pooh-Bah
 
DeathCabForTootie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: SHR Tunaments
Posts: 5,473
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGAF View Post
Shifting conversations/vibe is an art. Gj.
I learned it by reading about you!

/insert 80s 'just say no' commercial

Luckily a few in my room get the hint when I give them the needle. Coincidentally they're the bigger winners in the room. The rest are clueless. It comes down to whether I'm gonna kill them with kindness and mindless chit-chat or if I'll relentlessly make fun of them until the overall vibe changes.
DeathCabForTootie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:50 PM   #4614
DGAF
Pooh-Bah
 
DGAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Coast
Posts: 5,490
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

https://www.channelfireball.com/arti...b-after-magic/

^^^ A good article for those trying to get out of poker, written by my most successful (by my definition- not just wealth) friend.
DGAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:48 PM   #4615
icanadd
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Exiled to the Midwest
Posts: 95
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

The advise about calendars and to do lists is gold. I have hired a truckload of people. The ones that got fired almost always did not have this skill.

Once you have found a job please know that your perceived reliability might be almost as important as your ability. You talent is not valuable if you boss/company feels that can’t count on it. Most jobs are not that hard. Finding someone who wants to learn be a good team member and show up on time 249 of 250 working days a year is surprisingly hard.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
icanadd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:27 AM   #4616
TimeBomb
old hand
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,667
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

Dgaf what do you do when you realize you're turning into vanessa selbst (not physicly). My PF isn't as clicky but every time I'm in a pot with someone and we are deep and I think there range is capped all I can think about is how they can't call my jam. I'm playing as many all ins in NL as I do in plo
TimeBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:28 AM   #4617
DGAF
Pooh-Bah
 
DGAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Coast
Posts: 5,490
Re: 2k- a poker story (wtmfl;dr obv)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeBomb View Post
Dgaf what do you do when you realize you're turning into vanessa selbst (not physicly). My PF isn't as clicky but every time I'm in a pot with someone and we are deep and I think there range is capped all I can think about is how they can't call my jam. I'm playing as many all ins in NL as I do in plo
I turned into Vanessa Selbst 10 years ago. You tell me.
DGAF is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online