Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Las Vegas Lifestyle Discussion of all things Las Vegas. Ask questions about hotels/shows/etc., coordinate meetups with other 2+2ers and post Las Vegas trip reports.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2014, 05:05 PM   #1
pokerfire
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 54
Phone charging at table

I see by looking on bravo that Mirage and Flamingo now have the capabilities for one to charge a phone or electronic device at the table. What other vegas casino's offer this perk? Thanks
pokerfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:19 PM   #2
3fiveofdiamonds
adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 950
Re: Phone charging at table

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerfire View Post
I see by looking on bravo that Mirage and Flamingo now have the capabilities for one to charge a phone or electronic device at the table. What other vegas casino's offer this perk? Thanks

Wynn, Venetian, and the Bellagio

prob a few more if not most rooms but those are the only ones I know of
3fiveofdiamonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:22 PM   #3
BeauVanny
centurion
 
BeauVanny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3fiveofdiamonds View Post
Wynn, Venetian, and the Bellagio

prob a few more if not most rooms but those are the only ones I know of
Those 3 for sure
BeauVanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:32 PM   #4
Doc T River
Master of the Edit Line
 
Doc T River's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: GET THE SHOT!
Posts: 13,075
Re: Phone charging at table

If you need to charge an electronic device while playing, you are either playing too long or using the device too much.

Seriously though, you could look into a portable charger from some place like Hammacher Schlemmer and not have to worry about the room having recharging capability.
Doc T River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:44 PM   #5
p566
Pooh-Bah
 
p566's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: too far from the casinos
Posts: 3,734
Why bother if the rooms do offer the ability though?

Btw, at Bellagio they have USB ports under the rail while Venetian has power strips mounted on the underside of the table with standard plugs.
p566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:48 PM   #6
The4thFilm
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
The4thFilm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 13,472
Re: Phone charging at table

Aria added USB charging recently.
The4thFilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:59 PM   #7
Doc T River
Master of the Edit Line
 
Doc T River's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: GET THE SHOT!
Posts: 13,075
Re: Phone charging at table

Quote:
Originally Posted by p566 View Post
Why bother if the rooms do offer the ability though?

Btw, at Bellagio they have USB ports under the rail while Venetian has power strips mounted on the underside of the table with standard plugs.
A portable recharging device can be used in any room.
Doc T River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:14 PM   #8
pokerfire
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 54
Re: Phone charging at table

Thanks for the replies so far. I do have a portable charger, just figured a small cord tucked into my jacket pocket would be easier. As far as needing to charge, traditionally I leave my room around 11 am and usually don't come back until sun up. Also, not at a poker table the entire time.
pokerfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:31 PM   #9
PokerDharma
veteran
 
PokerDharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: The 8 Seat
Posts: 2,212
Re: Phone charging at table

While I appreciate it as a convenience for the player, I feel it encourages players to bring electronic devices, phones, iPads, iPods, whatever and then brings more distractions to the game. Call me a purist, but it's what I like about live poker, is the gritty, face to face interaction. Allow someone to tune out and go into their own private paradise and it dilutes the game in my opinion.

Personally I'd prefer it if no electronic devices were allowed whatsoever, aside from your phone, and that can only be activated away from the table.

"Is it on me?" "How much did he raise?" "Is that a raise?" "Did he check?" All of these are questions that can be avoided if you take that freaking iPod out of your ears and pay attention. Granted, there are non-iPod wearing idiots who still ask these questions, but they cannot control their ignorance. The douchechachi rocking Beats and an iPad can control his.
PokerDharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:54 PM   #10
McMelchior
veteran
 
McMelchior's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NYC, NY Vocation: Giraffe
Posts: 2,683
Re: Phone charging at table

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerDharma View Post
Personally I'd prefer it if no electronic devices were allowed whatsoever, aside from your phone, and that can only be activated away from the table.

"Is it on me?" "How much did he raise?" "Is that a raise?" "Did he check?" All of these are questions that can be avoided if you take that freaking iPod out of your ears and pay attention.
Well thought, PD.

Obviously everybody prefers to play against opponents that pay as much attention as possible to the game.

McMelchior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:07 PM   #11
Hey_Porter
Pooh-Bah
 
Hey_Porter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Oregon Coast
Posts: 5,559
Re: Phone charging at table

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc T River View Post
If you need to charge an electronic device while playing, you are either playing too long or using the device too much.

Seriously though, you could look into a portable charger from some place like Hammacher Schlemmer and not have to worry about the room having recharging capability.
I listen to Spotify while at the table. Burns battery pretty quickly.
Hey_Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:05 PM   #12
StarberryBSD
veteran
 
StarberryBSD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SoCal by the Beach
Posts: 2,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerDharma View Post
While I appreciate it as a convenience for the player, I feel it encourages players to bring electronic devices, phones, iPads, iPods, whatever and then brings more distractions to the game. Call me a purist, but it's what I like about live poker, is the gritty, face to face interaction. Allow someone to tune out and go into their own private paradise and it dilutes the game in my opinion.

Personally I'd prefer it if no electronic devices were allowed whatsoever, aside from your phone, and that can only be activated away from the table.

"Is it on me?" "How much did he raise?" "Is that a raise?" "Did he check?" All of these are questions that can be avoided if you take that freaking iPod out of your ears and pay attention. Granted, there are non-iPod wearing idiots who still ask these questions, but they cannot control their ignorance. The douchechachi rocking Beats and an iPad can control his.
There is nothing gritty about poker.
StarberryBSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:49 PM   #13
DanceForMe
centurion
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 129
Re: Phone charging at table

The answer to this is everywhere (except Red Rock really). What I mean by this is as follows: Yes, some places have the capability to plug your phone under the table and charge it. However, some do not. Yet, even the places that do not have this capability have people who can charge your phone for you (AKA floormen). Just ask the floor and they'll hook you up.
DanceForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:21 AM   #14
JHair
Bagel Man
 
JHair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bageltown
Posts: 4,415
Re: Phone charging at table

Quote:
Originally Posted by The4thFilm View Post
Aria added USB charging recently.
this, used it last week.
JHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:30 AM   #15
GoingBroke777
old hand
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,993
Re: Phone charging at table

yeah loved that when i was in vegas, at local casino the have a couple outlets on the walls but don't like leaving phone unattended if in not at the table close to the outlet.
GoingBroke777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:06 AM   #16
Snowball2
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Snowball2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 8,640
Re: Phone charging at table

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerDharma View Post
While I appreciate it as a convenience for the player, I feel it encourages players to bring electronic devices, phones, iPads, iPods, whatever and then brings more distractions to the game. Call me a purist, but it's what I like about live poker, is the gritty, face to face interaction. Allow someone to tune out and go into their own private paradise and it dilutes the game in my opinion.

Personally I'd prefer it if no electronic devices were allowed whatsoever, aside from your phone, and that can only be activated away from the table.

"Is it on me?" "How much did he raise?" "Is that a raise?" "Did he check?" All of these are questions that can be avoided if you take that freaking iPod out of your ears and pay attention. Granted, there are non-iPod wearing idiots who still ask these questions, but they cannot control their ignorance. The douchechachi rocking Beats and an iPad can control his.
While that's true, but you'll also find a lot of people still asking those questions even when they are not on their phones, because they are talking to others/watching tv/drunk/falling asleep.

There are good reasons to have chargers at the tables too: it's their loss if they didn't pay attention for the past hour because they were on the phone, hey, too bad that they weren't able to pick up on how I play big hands or when I'm bluffing. I'm the one paying attention and now I have information on them, while they don't have any on me .
Also when a whale/fish/spewy businessman-type player is at the table, you want them to stick along for as long as they want to - at least phone running out of battery shouldn't be one of the reasons.

However there is a counter-point as well: having another mean of occupying oneself might make the game more nitty as well as they are less likely to play hands out of boredom. Oh well, we can't always win.
Snowball2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:14 AM   #17
Doc T River
Master of the Edit Line
 
Doc T River's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: GET THE SHOT!
Posts: 13,075
Re: Phone charging at table

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey_Porter View Post
I listen to Spotify while at the table. Burns battery pretty quickly.
I listen to the other players when I'm at the table.

Doc T River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:09 AM   #18
PokerDharma
veteran
 
PokerDharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: The 8 Seat
Posts: 2,212
Re: Phone charging at table

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball2 View Post
While that's true, but you'll also find a lot of people still asking those questions even when they are not on their phones, because they are talking to others/watching tv/drunk/falling asleep.

There are good reasons to have chargers at the tables too: it's their loss if they didn't pay attention for the past hour because they were on the phone, hey, too bad that they weren't able to pick up on how I play big hands or when I'm bluffing. I'm the one paying attention and now I have information on them, while they don't have any on me .
Also when a whale/fish/spewy businessman-type player is at the table, you want them to stick along for as long as they want to - at least phone running out of battery shouldn't be one of the reasons.

However there is a counter-point as well: having another mean of occupying oneself might make the game more nitty as well as they are less likely to play hands out of boredom. Oh well, we can't always win.
Yeah, that's the one plus side, that it will take some players out of their A game and make it better for those who are keeping their heads in it.
PokerDharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:29 PM   #19
Driftless
centurion
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 165
Re: Phone charging at table

Guys on their phone or iPad are great for the game. It generally means they are playing like an online multitabling nit, only touching premium hands. Easy to read and/or exploit.

And for those not constantly texting/surfing, its a really important convenience. Anyone with an iPhone in particular can't go long without plugging in, they are power hogs.
Driftless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:31 PM   #20
Hey_Porter
Pooh-Bah
 
Hey_Porter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Oregon Coast
Posts: 5,559
Re: Phone charging at table

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc T River View Post
I listen to the other players when I'm at the table.

As do I; one ear bud. I realize that it would be better without listening at all, but it's the baby step I'm taking at the moment. If I'm not listening to music, I have too big a tendency to surf on my phone. This is the compromise.
Hey_Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:42 AM   #21
mrducks
Pooh-Bah
 
mrducks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 4,204
To add to the list, Bally's and Planet Hollywood have power strips under their tables. You need to be sitting in seats 4-7 or 3 and 8 if you have a longer cord.
mrducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:24 AM   #22
StarberryBSD
veteran
 
StarberryBSD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SoCal by the Beach
Posts: 2,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHair View Post
this, used it last week.
Not sure if this is a MGM International casino thing. MGM Grand actually just started putting them in as well.

They have them at a couple tables that run the 2-5 and are adding to all of them.

I was SHOCKED that they actually budgeted for something like this after how garbage the room has been treated last two years.
StarberryBSD is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive