Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Las Vegas Lifestyle Discussion of all things Las Vegas. Ask questions about hotels/shows/etc., coordinate meetups with other 2+2ers and post Las Vegas trip reports.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2018, 02:03 PM   #1476
FishFry1984
old hand
 
FishFry1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: At a casino near YOU
Posts: 1,628
Re: Ongoing video poker "TR", how long will this last?

Jesus you run so good!
FishFry1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:04 PM   #1477
leon
old hand
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: CA
Posts: 1,315
Re: Ongoing video poker "TR", how long will this last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishFry1984 View Post
Jesus you run so good!
You'd think so but my win/loss statements suggest otherwise.
leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:10 PM   #1478
gobbo
Trust the fat man.
 
gobbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eating Vegas.
Posts: 15,469
Re: Ongoing video poker "TR", how long will this last?

So you run really good at accountants too! What can't you do, Leon?
gobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:28 PM   #1479
Bdywax
adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Dante's seventh level of hell
Posts: 948
Re: Ongoing video poker "TR", how long will this last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
There are some full pay machines by Red8, both regular and spin. Dollar min credits. One full pay UX by the Red card booth close to Red8, no sound. Two full pay UX machines inside hi limit.

Good luck!
Thank you sir.
Bdywax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:45 PM   #1480
MatthewNL
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 299
Re: Ongoing video poker "TR", how long will this last?

Nice!

I actually just booked two different trips to Vegas, end of Feb and start of March, anyone had any luck with these flip machines in Vegas yet ?

I am looking for TDB flip at say quarters Did anyone check the Mirage?
MatthewNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:23 AM   #1481
leon
old hand
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: CA
Posts: 1,315
Re: Ongoing video poker "TR", how long will this last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobbo View Post
So you run really good at accountants too! What can't you do, Leon?
The irony is I feel like there's more my accountant could be doing, but won't. He's got the highest certification, only 10% of accountants ever get it, yadda yadda yadda, but he's a total straight shooter with taxes. I implied when we first started working with him that he had my permission to be "loose" with his work if it could save us taxes, and he basically said he doesn't do stuff like that and would never go along with something that was even marginally sketchy. Sigh.

So I have the assurance that everything is legit, but also the knowledge that we're probably giving the feds more than we should.
leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:39 AM   #1482
TheCanoe
lazy degen
 
TheCanoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Flippin
Posts: 11,582
Re: Ongoing video poker "TR", how long will this last?

Yeah I need to find myself a shady accountant. I’m maybe even on the year,maybe even d An a bit, but the one place i use a players card has me up a large sum. Also my dunbass needs to start using cards everywhere, unless I meet a CPA who will take my word for it on my legit losses. I’m not even trying to offset with my technically not so legal online sports wagers

Last edited by TheCanoe; 01-12-2018 at 12:39 AM. Reason: If a shady cpa is reading my inbox is open!
TheCanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:46 AM   #1483
El Diablo
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
El Diablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 69,991
Ongoing video poker "TR", how long will this last?

Leon,

Two questions for you for a trip I have in a few weeks:

1) your “regular” Wynn machines: how much do I need to take a reasonable shot for one real session?

2) where you gonna play flip when you go next?
El Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 04:25 AM   #1484
pig4bill
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 27,519
Re: Ongoing video poker "TR", how long will this last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
The irony is I feel like there's more my accountant could be doing, but won't. He's got the highest certification, only 10% of accountants ever get it, yadda yadda yadda, but he's a total straight shooter with taxes. I implied when we first started working with him that he had my permission to be "loose" with his work if it could save us taxes, and he basically said he doesn't do stuff like that and would never go along with something that was even marginally sketchy. Sigh.

So I have the assurance that everything is legit, but also the knowledge that we're probably giving the feds more than we should.
Probably not the only accountant in your vicinity.

Finding an accountant who's aggressiveness and philosophy matches yours takes some work. I changed accountants 5 years in a row until I found a good one.
pig4bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:51 AM   #1485
leon
old hand
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: CA
Posts: 1,315
Re: Ongoing video poker "TR", how long will this last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanoe View Post
Yeah I need to find myself a shady accountant. I’m maybe even on the year,maybe even d An a bit, but the one place i use a players card has me up a large sum. Also my dunbass needs to start using cards everywhere, unless I meet a CPA who will take my word for it on my legit losses. I’m not even trying to offset with my technically not so legal online sports wagers
Yeah, there's no excuse for not using a card everywhere these days. They have all your info already anyways and you're just costing yourself a possible deduction. I'm hard-pressed to think of a more annoying situation than being net loser for the year, yet paying taxes on my "winnings".
leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:55 AM   #1486
leon
old hand
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: CA
Posts: 1,315
Re: Ongoing video poker "TR", how long will this last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diablo View Post
Leon,

Two questions for you for a trip I have in a few weeks:

1) your “regular” Wynn machines: how much do I need to take a reasonable shot for one real session?

2) where you gonna play flip when you go next?
One session? Assuming you run decent, 2k for 5 lines, 1$ credit (25$ coin in). Adjust as variables change (eg, 2$ credit or 10 lines, take 4k, etc). FYI I've busto'd 2k in < 30 min before (but also smashed jackpots many times with the first 500 and never needed more).

No idea where decent pay table flip is. I'll check out the Wynn obv the next time I go but I can't see myself playing 7/5 TDB or worse when my local offers 8/5.
leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:58 AM   #1487
leon
old hand
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: CA
Posts: 1,315
Re: Ongoing video poker "TR", how long will this last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig4bill View Post
Probably not the only accountant in your vicinity.

Finding an accountant who's aggressiveness and philosophy matches yours takes some work. I changed accountants 5 years in a row until I found a good one.
It's laziness at this point. This guy started out as my wife's business accountant, then became our personal, then my business from 2010-2016. The majority of the time we've known him he's managed "three" accounts if you want to think of it that way. He knows us and we know him and I don't want to invest the effort to try and find someone who MIGHT be better. I've also had personal experience with some truly bad accountants so if I changed I might create a bigger problem for myself than I currently have.
leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:15 AM   #1488
TheCanoe
lazy degen
 
TheCanoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Flippin
Posts: 11,582
Re: Ongoing video poker "TR", how long will this last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Yeah, there's no excuse for not using a card everywhere these days. They have all your info already anyways and you're just costing yourself a possible deduction. I'm hard-pressed to think of a more annoying situation than being net loser for the year, yet paying taxes on my "winnings".
it got to the point a few years ago where I couldn't go a single day without 2-3 mailers showing up at my house. I know I will never stay at any CET or MLife property, so I just stopped using them. Of course back before I started playing TDB, I didn't have to worry about all of these annoying W2s popping up. Guess it's time to let em track my play again
TheCanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:19 PM   #1489
leon
old hand
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: CA
Posts: 1,315
Re: Ongoing video poker "TR", how long will this last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanoe View Post
it got to the point a few years ago where I couldn't go a single day without 2-3 mailers showing up at my house. I know I will never stay at any CET or MLife property, so I just stopped using them. Of course back before I started playing TDB, I didn't have to worry about all of these annoying W2s popping up. Guess it's time to let em track my play again
I hear you on the mailers. We visited friends in middle of nowhere Indiana Nov 2016 and spent a day at the French Lick casino (featured earlier somewhere in this thread). I gave them what for me was not a huge amount of action (10c credit TDB UX, 10 lines, 9/6 paytable) but likely more than they usually get. Hit 2 handpays. The first I waited a true 30 min to get paid (it was like 0130, mid week out on the floor in IN- I had to get up to find a slot attendant eventually).

Since arriving home I get offers for free room, comp etc like clockwork. You'd think they'd figure out since my address is in CA and I've never been back this was a one off, but I guess it costs them essentially nothing to keep marketing to me either, so...
leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:50 PM   #1490
pig4bill
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 27,519
Re: Ongoing video poker "TR", how long will this last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
It's laziness at this point. This guy started out as my wife's business accountant, then became our personal, then my business from 2010-2016. The majority of the time we've known him he's managed "three" accounts if you want to think of it that way. He knows us and we know him and I don't want to invest the effort to try and find someone who MIGHT be better. I've also had personal experience with some truly bad accountants so if I changed I might create a bigger problem for myself than I currently have.
Unless you're gambling for your business, you might give it a try for your personal return. You don't have to file it, just see what differences there are from your current accountant. Ask around, other gamblers, post on the forum, etc.

It sounds like your current guy is doing it as a hobby. When I first interviewed my guy, he was unfamiliar with the tack I was taking so he said "Let's look it up!" and brought out his high-dollar tax book and we started looking through it. My guy is busy as hell 12 months a year, has junior accountants working for him, etc. I've never seen an ad from him anywhere. That's what you want, someone in demand.
pig4bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 06:34 PM   #1491
RunninCM
banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,114
Re: Ongoing video poker "TR", how long will this last?

What happened to this thread. We need some VP updates!
RunninCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:02 PM   #1492
leon
old hand
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: CA
Posts: 1,315
Re: Ongoing video poker "TR", how long will this last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninCM View Post
What happened to this thread. We need some VP updates!
Just got back from a somewhat family-oriented trip. Part I of TR coming tomorrow.
leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:31 PM   #1493
MatthewNL
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 299
Re: Ongoing video poker "TR", how long will this last?

Yes !!!
MatthewNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:37 PM   #1494
TurdFerg
centurion
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 124
Re: Ongoing video poker "TR", how long will this last?

Argh, so crushed that we were there this weekend too and couldn't meet up with the famous Leon!

This weekend wifey and I had to seek out the legendary Leon machines at Wynn. It ended up being one of the best stories of the trip. Normally all our play is at Cosmo, but for Leon, we make exceptions.

We're walking around in circles outside Red 8 looking for these machines and finally find the two machines with no sound.


Leon's Machines

We decide to just put $100 into each machine and play some triple play TDB. Wifey plays first machine and...

Spoiler:


I put $100 into the second machine and am down to the last hit when wifey starts saying that we're not gonna hit anything on Leon's machines.

I realize then that the machines actually have no sound because the speakers are intake for nagging wife noises




This is me


Not 4AWAK or a royal, more funny than anything. Get 1 more quads in next hand and cash out $700 from the $100. Thanks Leon!

Thanks to the inspiration from Leon/TheCanoe and other TRs, I'll make a separate full TR soon.

Can't wait to see how many 4AWAK you got this weekend Leon.
TurdFerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:59 PM   #1495
Lurshy
old hand
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: State of Confusion
Posts: 1,366
Re: Ongoing video poker "TR", how long will this last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurdFerg View Post
Argh, so crushed that we were there this weekend too and couldn't meet up with the famous Leon!

This weekend wifey and I had to seek out the legendary Leon machines at Wynn. It ended up being one of the best stories of the trip. Normally all our play is at Cosmo, but for Leon, we make exceptions.

We're walking around in circles outside Red 8 looking for these machines and finally find the two machines with no sound.


Leon's Machines

We decide to just put $100 into each machine and play some triple play TDB. Wifey plays first machine and...

Spoiler:


I put $100 into the second machine and am down to the last hit when wifey starts saying that we're not gonna hit anything on Leon's machines.

I realize then that the machines actually have no sound because the speakers are intake for nagging wife noises




This is me


Not 4AWAK or a royal, more funny than anything. Get 1 more quads in next hand and cash out $700 from the $100. Thanks Leon!

Thanks to the inspiration from Leon/TheCanoe and other TRs, I'll make a separate full TR soon.

Can't wait to see how many 4AWAK you got this weekend Leon.
Awesome. Wins a win
Lurshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:20 PM   #1496
leon
old hand
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: CA
Posts: 1,315
Re: Ongoing video poker "TR", how long will this last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurdFerg View Post
Can't wait to see how many 4AWAK you got this weekend Leon.
Well done- FYI both those machines have sound. You just need to turn it up on the initial screen where you can select games.
leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:52 PM   #1497
TurdFerg
centurion
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 124
Re: Ongoing video poker "TR", how long will this last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Well done- FYI both those machines have sound. You just need to turn it up on the initial screen where you can select games.
Haha, I know they have some sound, but it's better for the nagging wife narrative if they are actually input speakers and responded by giving me quads!

Non-premium quads though.
TurdFerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:07 PM   #1498
TurdFerg
centurion
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 124
Re: Ongoing video poker "TR", how long will this last?

Thanks. Don't want to hijack Leon's thread, but here's day 1 of the weekend TR. Enjoy!

https://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/1...ng-tr-1702821/

TF
TurdFerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 01:40 PM   #1499
leon
old hand
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: CA
Posts: 1,315
Re: Ongoing video poker "TR", how long will this last?

Vegas Jan 2018 TR

I've been waiting for this one for a while... pretty much laid low at the local casino after those few huge days playing flip and pay. I had two crap sessions back to back that were quite notable for how infuriating the sessions were- on one day, I kept track of the number of trip draws I had (>100) and the number of times I binked premium quads (precisely 2). At 5 lines for each draw, that is simply an absolutely terrible result. I can't believe I even lasted long enough to get over 100 draws. That day was a big loser, I believe almost 4k.

The second bad day I was dealt quad 2's twice, and whiffed a kicker in all spots (0/10). That really hurt too. Given how rare premium quads actually are, when you stumble into the dealt scenario that statistically DOES come up, you really need to make the most of it and of course I got screwed.

In any case, the main reason I was looking forward to this trip is... well, Vegas, of course, but I also wanted revenge on the Wynn after November's debacle. I complained to my host after last trip and dealing with the total jerk off old man, and he responded with 5k free credit for this trip. So that's a great start and just outstanding service by our host.

General info

- my parents are in town, so we're going to stay at the Wynn
- my wife had surgery on her shoulder recently and actually would prefer to stay home; since I want to go, I figure I'll take the kids with me. My nanny, of course, wants to come and he's welcome help for me with my kids. Thus, this is sort of a family-oriented trip (otherwise I was planning on meeting up with Gobbo and letting TheCanoe know I was headed out, sorry boys; maybe next time)
- arrived Thurs night, left Sun afternoon
- my main goal this trip is to lessen the tilt/donking off money which always happens at some point. I'm talking things like playing too long, giving back too much money in what are supposed to be quick sessions, etc. To that end, I plan on watching a movie in the room with the kids every day, doing stuff with them, taking breaks etc. A secondary goal which should help with the first is to be in bed BY MIDNIGHT every night, since I know I never sleep in.

Thurs, day 1

We get into Vegas around 7:30p.



View from the plane.

Our bags arrive pretty quickly and we meet the limo driver who'll be taking us to home for the next three days.



The infamous "zero level".



Our ride.

We get to the Wynn and meet up with my parents. We'd planned on eating at Red8, and as we got slightly delayed everyone is pretty hungry. Get our bags up to the room then sit down to eat.



We've got the little room right by the main walkway that is visible from the main casino. Since I've posted plenty of Red8 pics in the past and we always order similar stuff, I'll spare you all the Red8 food pics this time.


My parents have their usual Salon Suite, I've got a regular room (didn't need or ask for anything else), and my kids are SUPPOSED to have regular room connected to the nanny's. I say supposed to because there was a snafu- I guess with the two conferences in town every room is completely booked. All of us are on different floors- I'm on 54, my parents on 52 and nanny/kids on 27. Nanny/kids are resort side, not tower suites, and thus quite a bit away. And, their rooms aren't connected! Adjacent, but not connected. It's going to make checking on them slightly more complicated but it shouldn't be a big deal. My kids established last trip that they can handle being left alone in the room for the night and for naps, so this is really just a minor issue.

So, I didn't take pics of the regular room, but I had to take one of the kids', as they got a CORNER ROOM. It's otherwise a standard room but with two sets of windows- it was pretty nice and had that same "perk" feel as a corner office probably does. I wonder if it goes for more than a normal room (I'm sure it does knowing the Wynn).



I get the kids situated in their room, set the timer for their TV, and head down for the first session!



Roll = 10k, plus...



I spent quite a bit of time considering exactly how I was going to wash the free credit. Go big and really hope for a monster? Play small ball and maximize the play I'll get? Intuitively I know it's not any different than coining-in 5k and I should treat it like real money, but MAN it sure has a different feel. It was really tough not to be like "it's free money! WHEEEE LOLOLOL" and donk it all off. Ultimately I decided to just stick to my usual 5 lines for 1k, move up to 10 line for the second 1k, back down to 5 line (so 3k thru 5 lines and 2k thru 10 lines). We'll see what I end up with- mathematically, the 5k should turn into 4950 (assuming 1% hold) but of course that factors in hitting my "fair share" of royals, 4 awak etc and we know the dry spells that can occur.



Hit this pretty early on. Hold a single high card, and it comes perfect, perfect, perfect... and wrong end. OF COURSE it's going to be the 9. I hate to complain about straight flushes, but... yeah.


I play for quite a while, never hitting anything big but definitely getting a good amount of regular quads, dealt straights, etc.



End result of 5000 coin in. Above expectation, esp given I didn't hit any big hands.

Well, now I'm playing on my own dime. My dad has been having a pretty cold run since he's been in town and decides to play Spin Poker next to me. I get my first bink of the trip-



First premium trip draw, and it comes in. Good start.


I keep playing and pump another 1k back in before switching to the next machine.



SMACK!

OK, broke the royal cherry for the trip early on. Let's keep this going! My nanny comes over- he asks how we're doing, and I respond that I'm doing well, but my dad is cold. I then draw at a mighty pair of 4s and lightning strike-



These random hits from nowhere are so critical to having a good trip, and we're off to an amazing start.

Just then, my dad is dealt trip 2s with a kicker on spin poker. He draws... and smashes the 4th 2! So that's 2000 x three lines- 6k and change!

I have since moved back to the middle machine since I'm waiting for my jackpot to be paid. My dad has his machine locked up. I am dealt trips on the middle machine right out of the gate, and make-



Result- all three machines locked up, waiting to be paid. I tried to take a panorama pic which doesn't quite do it justice. What an amazing feeling, and my nanny got to see it too.



First two machines are "mine", my dad is the one on the right.

This feeling is just ecstasy. It's past midnight now so I'm violating that goal, but my dad still wants to play and honestly how can I get up at this point? I allow myself to give back 1k before I decide we'll head up.

And... I give back that 1k fast. Really fast. So I'm done, but my dad isn't. I gently and then more forcefully insist we stop- there's always tomorrow. So he says "5 more min". I feed one more hundo into the machine.

Official "I'm a donk" story

So I'm a donk. I think we all knew it before, but confirmed- I'm a donk.

What happened is, I play that last hundo. Get down to 20 credits, less than a max bet on each line. Whatever, my dad will literally be done in 20 sec and it's not going to matter, right? Bet less than the full amount- get a paying pair which turns into trips on one spot. So now I have 4+4+4+4+8 = 24 credits. Still not a full bet. I bet again, 4 lines at max bet and the last at 4 credits.

You all know where this is going.

I get dealt TRIP ACES WITH A KICKER. Of course. Whatever, it's still so likely I'm going to miss every spot. And really, there's only one spot that's less than a full bet, right?

Spoiler:


GET. THE. ****. OUT. OF. HERE. Are you ****ing kidding me. Of course.


I've never been so pissed to "win" 1600 before. Of course it's when I make less than a full bet. OF COURSE it's on the ONE SPOT that has less than a full bet. I tell you, the machines are alive and they have a sense of humor.

SO SO SO DUMB. And I have no one but myself to blame. Even now thinking about it I'm upset- I know I shouldn't complain about a win, but it really feels like I robbed myself. 1 measly dollar ended up costing me 2400. Jesus.

Anyways, now I HAVE to go to bed. I get paid, get my dad to stop and head upstairs. It's 1am, and I'm going to be tired tomorrow, but this is pretty much all I could have hoped for...

Day 1 result= +8k.

To be continued...

Last edited by leon; 01-30-2018 at 01:51 PM.
leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 01:48 PM   #1500
TheCanoe
lazy degen
 
TheCanoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Flippin
Posts: 11,582
Re: Ongoing video poker "TR", how long will this last?

I think I might throw up. I guess my lesson learned is always to top up my credits before mashing the button. jfc. I 'd have to be talked down after that one. I cannot imagine i would handle that well at all. Im dumb enough that I may just walk away before being paid ****ing w2 for these shenanigans gahhhhhhh

im on tilt. I cant imagine how leon felt. Sorry buddy
TheCanoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online