Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Las Vegas Lifestyle Discussion of all things Las Vegas. Ask questions about hotels/shows/etc., coordinate meetups with other 2+2ers and post Las Vegas trip reports.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2017, 03:26 PM   #1
dhwpersons
newbie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 23
One month of playing poker in Las Vegas this September

Hi All,

I am David from Holland, 34 years old. I will be playing poker full time in Las Vegas in September. I work in a regular job fulltime and have been playing poker on and off for about 14 years, with various success, both live and online. I enjoy live poker the most and think my edge is bigger live versus online. I want to experience 'live as a poker pro' for one complete month. The challenge for me is to find out if I am capable to play (close to) my A game during the full month. And make a profit doing so.

I like to catch up and share experiences with other poker players in Las Vegas during this month. So, I'll be happy to receive a mesage from players in Vegas during September who like to have a drink

My poker bankroll during the month is 7K. My plan is to play 2/5NL most of the month, with an accasional shot at 5/10NL. My (challenging) goal is to win 10K. I will post progress and complete profit / losses for who ever is interested.

Regards,
David
dhwpersons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:25 PM   #2
pig4bill
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 26,007
Re: One month of playing poker in Las Vegas this September

Too bad you didn't choose June.
pig4bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:32 PM   #3
JoseJohnnyJimJack
centurion
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Walking back to the casino ATM
Posts: 102
Re: One month of playing poker in Las Vegas this September

Sounds like fun. Do you normally play 2-5 back home? Will be following your thread. Good luck.
JoseJohnnyJimJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:31 PM   #4
synth_floyd
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,998
Re: One month of playing poker in Las Vegas this September

I hear the post-WSOP period is the worst for poker in the entire year. Hopefully it will have picked up by Sept. Good luck!
synth_floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:19 AM   #5
madlex
Custom User Title
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,929
Re: One month of playing poker in Las Vegas this September

Quote:
Originally Posted by synth_floyd View Post
I hear the post-WSOP period is the worst for poker in the entire year. Hopefully it will have picked up by Sept. Good luck!
Vegas will be busy again on 09/01. That's the Friday of Labor Day Weekend which also serves as the opening weekend of the College Football season. The NFL starts the weekend after that.

I feel like September is one of the best months of the year to travel to Vegas, all things considered.
madlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:13 AM   #6
Cckid
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 70
Re: One month of playing poker in Las Vegas this September

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhwpersons View Post
Hi All,

I am David from Holland, 34 years old. I will be playing poker full time in Las Vegas in September. I work in a regular job fulltime and have been playing poker on and off for about 14 years, with various success, both live and online. I enjoy live poker the most and think my edge is bigger live versus online. I want to experience 'live as a poker pro' for one complete month. The challenge for me is to find out if I am capable to play (close to) my A game during the full month. And make a profit doing so.

I like to catch up and share experiences with other poker players in Las Vegas during this month. So, I'll be happy to receive a mesage from players in Vegas during September who like to have a drink

My poker bankroll during the month is 7K. My plan is to play 2/5NL most of the month, with an accasional shot at 5/10NL. My (challenging) goal is to win 10K. I will post progress and complete profit / losses for who ever is interested.

Regards,
David
I will be interested on what your thoughts/experiences will be on this. I was thinking of doing something similar around this time in 2018.

Cheers
Cckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:29 PM   #7
dhwpersons
newbie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 23
Re: One month of playing poker in Las Vegas this September

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseJohnnyJimJack View Post
Sounds like fun. Do you normally play 2-5 back home? Will be following your thread. Good luck.
I normally play 2/2 or 2/4 over here. So, will be playing a little higher then I'm used to. Maybe I will start of with some 1/3 the first day to get a feel for the waters. But certainly want so start playing 2/5 after the first days.
dhwpersons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:36 PM   #8
dhwpersons
newbie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 23
Re: One month of playing poker in Las Vegas this September

Quote:
Originally Posted by madlex View Post
Vegas will be busy again on 09/01. That's the Friday of Labor Day Weekend which also serves as the opening weekend of the College Football season. The NFL starts the weekend after that.

I feel like September is one of the best months of the year to travel to Vegas, all things considered.
Sounds good. The venetian extravaganza 3.5 also takes place in September, so certainly some action there.
dhwpersons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:46 PM   #9
TheChamp11
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
TheChamp11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: oiville
Posts: 6,654
Re: One month of playing poker in Las Vegas this September

Playing 2/5 on a 7k bankroll? Good luck.
TheChamp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:18 PM   #10
sheket
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 275
Re: One month of playing poker in Las Vegas this September

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp11 View Post
Playing 2/5 on a 7k bankroll? Good luck.
Doesn't require that much luck. Some players have skills (maybe you don't).
I'm sure there are guys here that can survive all month by just starting with $2500 (myself included).
sheket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:23 PM   #11
madlex
Custom User Title
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,929
Re: One month of playing poker in Las Vegas this September

14 BI should be plenty for live poker. If s*** hits the fan, he can move down to 1/2 or 1/3. And if that doesn't work out either, it's just not meant to happen and he can spend his time doing something else.

We're not talking about 2/5 Zoom on PokerStars where 10+ BI downswings are standard. The odds of that happening to a solid winning player in soft live games are very low.
madlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:26 PM   #12
zica
grinder
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 470
Re: One month of playing poker in Las Vegas this September

8 hours/day for 30 days at 2/5 is 8.33bb/hr to make 10K. Sounds doable provided you avoid small-betting nitty games and have a significant skill advantage but I'm don't know anything about Vegas games.
zica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:28 PM   #13
JHair
Bagel Man
 
JHair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bageltown
Posts: 4,335
Re: One month of playing poker in Las Vegas this September

Quote:
Originally Posted by zica View Post
8 hours/day for 30 days at 2/5 is 8.33bb/hr to make 10K. Sounds doable provided you avoid small-betting nitty games and have a significant skill advantage but I'm don't know anything about Vegas games.
it will be tricky, less likely to happen, but a reasonable outcome
JHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:11 AM   #14
pig4bill
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 26,007
Re: One month of playing poker in Las Vegas this September

Quote:
Originally Posted by madlex View Post
14 BI should be plenty for live poker. If s*** hits the fan, he can move down to 1/2 or 1/3. And if that doesn't work out either, it's just not meant to happen and he can spend his time doing something else.

We're not talking about 2/5 Zoom on PokerStars where 10+ BI downswings are standard. The odds of that happening to a solid winning player in soft live games are very low.
You underestimate runbad. It's easy to lose 10 buy-ins in a row even. You can only bluff low stakes Vegas players so much. If you get bad cards, you're going to lose.
pig4bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:11 AM   #15
madlex
Custom User Title
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,929
Re: One month of playing poker in Las Vegas this September

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig4bill View Post
You underestimate runbad. It's easy to lose 10 buy-ins in a row even. You can only bluff low stakes Vegas players so much. If you get bad cards, you're going to lose.
Let's say a solid winning 2/5 player averages (at least) $25/hour and plays 25 hands per hour. That means his winrate is $100/100 hands = 20bb/100.

If said player plays 8 hours/day for 20 days, he's getting in 4000 hands over that time. Losing $7k = 1400bb over 4000 hands results in a winrate of -35bb/100.

Is it possible for a 20bb/100 winner to run 55bb/100 below expectation over a 4K hand sample? Definitely. Is it very likely? Certainly not.

I would agree that 7k is too little to play 2/5 if that money is a significant percentage of a players net worth. But we are talking about a poker budget for somebody on vacation who has a regular day job in a country where it's basically impossible to go life broke anyway. Going broke into poverty is something the US has exclusively in the western world. If he loses the money, he goes back home to live his life 100% the same way as before.

Playing 1/3 instead of 2/5 to minimize the risk of ruin is also a recipe to minimize success.
madlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 02:44 PM   #16
pig4bill
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 26,007
Re: One month of playing poker in Las Vegas this September

Quote:
Originally Posted by madlex View Post
Let's say a solid winning 2/5 player averages (at least) $25/hour and plays 25 hands per hour. That means his winrate is $100/100 hands = 20bb/100.

If said player plays 8 hours/day for 20 days, he's getting in 4000 hands over that time. Losing $7k = 1400bb over 4000 hands results in a winrate of -35bb/100.
LOL, I said it's easy to lose 10 buy-ins in a row. You aren't playing 20 days, you're not even playing a full weekend. My record is 18 buy-ins in a row over a full weekend. Never once made a pair or better with the cards in my hand.

If you don't make hands, you won't win in Vegas low-stakes games.
pig4bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:07 PM   #17
IgorSmiles
adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 892
Re: One month of playing poker in Las Vegas this September

You should probably stick to $500 cap games with that bankroll. Deeper stacked games will increase your risk of going broke.
IgorSmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:31 PM   #18
dhwpersons
newbie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 23
Re: One month of playing poker in Las Vegas this September

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgorSmiles View Post
You should probably stick to $500 cap games with that bankroll. Deeper stacked games will increase your risk of going broke.
Where do these games run? In the Bellagio and MGM, right? Other places too?
dhwpersons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:45 PM   #19
madlex
Custom User Title
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,929
Re: One month of playing poker in Las Vegas this September

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig4bill View Post
LOL, I said it's easy to lose 10 buy-ins in a row.
Maybe if you play an ultra high variance style? My biggest online poker full ring downswing was less than 15 BI and I played a couple million hands. Have never lost more than 4 BI in a row playing live 2/5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgorSmiles View Post
You should probably stick to $500 cap games with that bankroll.
Are there any cap games in Vegas or do you mean games with a maximum buy in of $500?
madlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:15 PM   #20
IgorSmiles
adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 892
Re: One month of playing poker in Las Vegas this September

Bellagio has $500 cap buyin for 2/5. Most of the other rooms are $1000 or higher. You can always buy in for less than the cap but bear in mind the deeper the stacks the easier it is to get felted.
IgorSmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:07 PM   #21
madlex
Custom User Title
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,929
Re: One month of playing poker in Las Vegas this September

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgorSmiles View Post
Bellagio has $500 cap buyin for 2/5. Most of the other rooms are $1000 or higher. You can always buy in for less than the cap but bear in mind the deeper the stacks the easier it is to get felted.
That was my question. A $500 cap game is something else than a game with a max buy in amount of $500. You mean the latter one.
madlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:01 PM   #22
Phat Mack
Pooh-Bah
 
Phat Mack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: People's Republic of Texas
Posts: 5,970
Re: One month of playing poker in Las Vegas this September

Quote:
Originally Posted by madlex View Post
Let's say a solid winning 2/5 player averages (at least) $25/hour and plays 25 hands per hour. That means his winrate is $100/100 hands = 20bb/100.

If said player plays 8 hours/day for 20 days, he's getting in 4000 hands over that time. Losing $7k = 1400bb over 4000 hands results in a winrate of -35bb/100.

Is it possible for a 20bb/100 winner to run 55bb/100 below expectation over a 4K hand sample? Definitely. Is it very likely? Certainly not.

I would agree that 7k is too little to play 2/5 if that money is a significant percentage of a players net worth. But we are talking about a poker budget for somebody on vacation who has a regular day job in a country where it's basically impossible to go life broke anyway. Going broke into poverty is something the US has exclusively in the western world. If he loses the money, he goes back home to live his life 100% the same way as before.

Playing 1/3 instead of 2/5 to minimize the risk of ruin is also a recipe to minimize success.
I agree with this analysis. My one worry would be that if he wants to win 10k, he'll be pushing it a little too hard and may find trouble.

I don't know if it's possible to beat 1-3 in Vegas--I haven't looked at their rake structures in several years.

Capped buy-in games tend to suck, imo, but it would all depend on how OP rates his big stack play. If he can play a big stack, uncapped games might decrease his variance rather than increase it.
Phat Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:54 AM   #23
Beasting
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 64
Re: One month of playing poker in Las Vegas this September

grunch

posted this in another thread, which was a dead end. hoping for a better outcome itt lol.
been an online grinder for several years. sick of the lifestyle. i've never really grinded live though. i've played a lot of live in bay area casinos, but generally can only stand up to 4 hours of playing at a time. i don't like the way i feel when i play much longer than that. it gets depressing. maybe it's a bay area thing. i might be more stimulated about live poker in vegas where poker isn't an obscure "job" there, and grinders could fit in better. is there anyone who has grinded live in vegas, the bay area, and online, that could weigh in and discuss which you prefered and why?
thanks.
Beasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:06 PM   #24
FWWM
FOOT FF Fristion '15
 
FWWM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Meming America great again
Posts: 5,869
Re: One month of playing poker in Las Vegas this September

7k is plenty. I think some people may have overread the part where he says he works a regular job fulltime, therefore he's in no danger of going busto.

And Beasting sounds like you need some professional help. The poker rooms /casinos don't look that much different in CA or LV and nobody will appreciate what you're doing anyway, it's a not a job with a high social status, and that's putting it very mildly
FWWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:43 PM   #25
madlex
Custom User Title
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,929
Re: One month of playing poker in Las Vegas this September

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beasting View Post
been an online grinder for several years. sick of the lifestyle.
Quote:
i've played a lot of live in bay area casinos, but generally can only stand up to 4 hours of playing at a time. i don't like the way i feel when i play much longer than that. it gets depressing.
Quote:
i might be more stimulated about live poker in vegas where poker isn't an obscure "job" there, and grinders could fit in better.
Imagine you are a stripper. You've worked as a webcam girl for a couple of years, but didn't like the lifestyle. Then you've stripped a ton in Bay Area gentleman clubs but could only stand it for 4 hours before getting depressed. Now you want to move to Vegas because the city is full of strippers and you think you might fit in better there?

Did you ever consider a different career path? Maybe it would make you more happy or at least less depressed if you had a job that provided something that's a different kind of meaningful to society?

As far as "respect" goes, you earn that. If you made your way from the Tuesday day shift at OG's to Saturday night at Rhino's, you make very decent money and people respect that. If you make it to the Big Game in Bobby's room or date Kanye West, people will recognize you and think "wow, now they made it".

But having a job that generally gets little respect compared to other professions while not even being very good at said job (e.g. working Tuesday morning at OG or grinding low stakes poker) won't ever do much for you.
madlex is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online