Open Side Menu Go to the Top
Register
Old Guy to Vegas Old Guy to Vegas

10-02-2012 , 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Ocean
Wow what an up and down thread. In to see if OP makes it to Vegas. Now is the $4000 just your poker roll or total $.
That's just my BR. I have other living expenses set aside.
Old Guy to Vegas Quote
10-03-2012 , 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarberryBSD

Not sure of the exact numbers, so PLO experts here please help me out, but was told that rule of thumb bankroll needed for 1-3 PLO is about the same as 2-5 NLHE.

Cheers,

S
approximately... I would say 2/5+'ish
Old Guy to Vegas Quote
10-03-2012 , 01:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu18
approximately... I would say 2/5+'ish
Also, it's probably better to get good at one game first?
Old Guy to Vegas Quote
10-03-2012 , 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarberryBSD
Also, it's probably better to get good at one game first?
Agreed. I like Omaha and if I run well I may take a shot at in the future.
Old Guy to Vegas Quote
10-03-2012 , 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarberryBSD
Also, it's probably better to get good at one game first?
if you are proficient in learning, it's never to early to start trying to learn PLO.

I started playing stud recently... but it's like pulling teeth, so I dont know how much I will be playing that game outside of maybe a tournament.
Old Guy to Vegas Quote
10-03-2012 , 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu18
if you are proficient in learning, it's never to early to start trying to learn PLO.

I started playing stud recently... but it's like pulling teeth, so I dont know how much I will be playing that game outside of maybe a tournament.
Why are you learning stud. Wtf?
Old Guy to Vegas Quote
10-03-2012 , 12:58 PM
I would think there almost zero stud action in Vegas. Only tournaments would be during wsop probably.
Old Guy to Vegas Quote
10-03-2012 , 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcorb
a prop once told me he was the first one into a bad game and the first one out of the good ones
I've propped before and this is the truest statement about proping you will ever find
Old Guy to Vegas Quote
10-03-2012 , 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by imakeposts
I've propped before and this is the truest statement about proping you will ever find
Are there any LV rooms that actually use full-time props?

I have played many many times against floors who sit down to help get the game started or when tables are running short handed at the graveyard hours, but all of them were "floor person" first and "prop" second? ie) Not full-time props.
Old Guy to Vegas Quote
10-03-2012 , 09:25 PM
I dont even really open up my game for an hour when i start to get reads on the table. I feel im most profitable when i am deep and have solid reads between hours 3 and 6. Ideally i play between 6 and 10 hours. 2 hours is crazy. Have a red bull and suck it up! Its a job and its not easy!
Old Guy to Vegas Quote
10-03-2012 , 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarberryBSD
OMG, after reading like a gazillion replies in this thread...I just realized Combo-Prof and PolProf are 2 different people.

I am an idiot.
Wow you thought we were the same. I am at least 15 years older than PolProf.
My title would have been "An actual Old Guy to Vegas". LOL
Old Guy to Vegas Quote
10-03-2012 , 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Jay
I dont even really open up my game for an hour when i start to get reads on the table. I feel im most profitable when i am deep and have solid reads between hours 3 and 6. Ideally i play between 6 and 10 hours. 2 hours is crazy. Have a red bull and suck it up! Its a job and its not easy!
+1

I also find I make much much better decisions because I don feel pressured to make money right away.
Old Guy to Vegas Quote
10-03-2012 , 10:28 PM
I suspect for each person they have a current optimal duration time for playing poker. Optimal in the sense of staying focused and playing well. Certainly as they gain experience and age this duration time might vary. Maybe to start 2 hours playing or 2 hours playing hour break and repeat is optimal for certain players but its not for you. Maybe your playing 6 to 10 hours without breaks makes you more profitable but this may not be the case for a different player. Maybe you are ahead in experience and thus can be more profitable and maybe another player just needs the time to develop his skills.
Old Guy to Vegas Quote
10-03-2012 , 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combo-Prof
Wow you thought we were the same. I am at least 15 years older than PolProf.
My title would have been "An actual Old Guy to Vegas". LOL
Damn you are old!

J/k
Old Guy to Vegas Quote
10-04-2012 , 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combo-Prof
I suspect for each person they have a current optimal duration time for playing poker. Optimal in the sense of staying focused and playing well. Certainly as they gain experience and age this duration time might vary. Maybe to start 2 hours playing or 2 hours playing hour break and repeat is optimal for certain players but its not for you. Maybe your playing 6 to 10 hours without breaks makes you more profitable but this may not be the case for a different player. Maybe you are ahead in experience and thus can be more profitable and maybe another player just needs the time to develop his skills.
Id extend some friendly advice to our hero to work a bit on mental stamina and focus if he plans on doing this for a living. I have a full time job of 50 hours a week, and still try to get in 6-10 hours aof poker a weekend. Imagine it would be impossible to earn a living playing poker in two hour stints. Is this really the plan? Some suggestions i have heard would be to take a walkmaround the outside of the casino every hour or two, workout before a session/regularly, eat appropriately before/while you are playing, turn your phone/ipad off, etc. Just a suggestion.
Old Guy to Vegas Quote
10-04-2012 , 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarberryBSD
Why are you learning stud. Wtf?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Ocean
I would think there almost zero stud action in Vegas. Only tournaments would be during wsop probably.
exactamundo...
Old Guy to Vegas Quote
10-04-2012 , 06:03 PM
Session tonight.

Finished Small Stakes No Limit HoldEm. Should be interesting to apply some new found knowledge. Trip report later.
Old Guy to Vegas Quote
10-05-2012 , 12:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Jay
Id extend some friendly advice to our hero to work a bit on mental stamina and focus if he plans on doing this for a living. .
I agree.

Recpectfully, it doesn't look like the OP, Mr. Polprof, will actually be making the move anytime soon. First it was a certain date to make the big move, then something happen and that got changed, then car trouble, work trouble, g-freind issues, bank roll troubles, and blah, blah, blah.

I offered sincere freindship and advice to OP, we swapped lot of PM's. Then I starting reading between the lines. I'm pretty fair at reading people -between the lines. Just another dream that didn't work out. Won't be the first time, and surley won't be the last.

One nice thing about these Las Vegas Casino's is that they'll still be open if/when your opportunity to come play cards for a living becomes reality. Best wishes sir.....
Old Guy to Vegas Quote
10-05-2012 , 12:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Under_the_Radar
I agree.

Recpectfully, it doesn't look like the OP, Mr. Polprof, will actually be making the move anytime soon. First it was a certain date to make the big move, then something happen and that got changed, then car trouble, work trouble, g-freind issues, bank roll troubles, and blah, blah, blah.

I offered sincere freindship and advice to OP, we swapped lot of PM's. Then I starting reading between the lines. I'm pretty fair at reading people -between the lines. Just another dream that didn't work out. Won't be the first time, and surley won't be the last.

One nice thing about these Las Vegas Casino's is that they'll still be open if/when your opportunity to come play cards for a living becomes reality. Best wishes sir.....
Thanks UTR

You are correct my plans got derailed. Life intervened in many unpredictable and somewhat uncontrollable ways. I've been carrying around some "anchors" if you will. One or two of them have been pretty unavoidable. Others have been of my own doing.

I disagree with you that it's "another dream that didn't work out." In this "gotta have it now" everyone wants instant results and gratification. I don't work like that. I do my best to make plans and move when the time is right. The timing has not been right to this point. One major disagreement with a former employer and its resolution (for a decent chunk of money I might add) has really been the main culprit of delay. I have tried my best to push things along but the wheels of justice turn slowly sometimes.

So will I get to Vegas? Yes!!
Can I tell you the exact date? No

Do I consider that a failed dream? Absolutely not

This is my life and I have to make the decisions I feel are in my best interest. I have spent the last 20 years listening to others people's advice and this is one time ("ONE TIME DEALER") when I am going to listen to my own heart and head.

If that has led some to become frustrated with this thread....I totally understand. However, consider this. One of the main reasons that so many people seem to fail at this endeavor is they often go off half cocked without a good plan or a good backup plan. Many of them go when the timing is awful or they are not in the right frame of mind. I am trying not to do that.

I want all loose ends tied up before I leave because honestly....in my mind....there is no turning back. Turning back is not an option. I am going to make this work and give my all to make sure that it does. I will know no one. I will have no safety net. I will be in unfamiliar territory in a city that has spit up countless others just like me. I'm sorry but it doesn't seem wise to rush into such a move.

Cliff notes:
The decision has been made. The move will happen. Patience grasshopper !
Old Guy to Vegas Quote
10-05-2012 , 01:16 AM
Tonight's session:

Only one table of cash running. I found myself in the two seat with a semi loose passive table.

WTF? Comment of the night

UTG +1 restraddles for $10
Next player to my right sitting on $50 calls (lol)

Folds to the Button who calls the extra $5 (he was the original straddle for $5)

Big Blind shoves for $150

UTG +1 calls for $25 more

Player to my right goes into the tank. Says to the Big Blind "I know you have aces but I can crack them with this hand. Just don't know if its worth it or not " He had T8 offsuit. Huh? Finally he mucks and the BB turns over aces. Only at the poker table

Got in a 3 hour plus session. Ran up $93. Totally card dead and when I had position the action got crazy in front of me. No really interesting hands to other than this one

AT in the BB. Three limpers. I raise to $12. Three callers. Effective stacks of $150. $48 pot.

J J 9 two suited. I check. They all three check. I'm thinking out of position on a wet board keep this pot small

Turn 6. I bet $20. The CO calls who is a loose passive. The turn put two flush draws out there. $88 pot

River T. No draw really got there other than KQ or something weird like 78. The ten completes some hands that would have called preflop and on the turn like QT or T8.

I guess I played it ok.


I bet $20 intending to fold if I get raised. CO calls. I flip my hand and he mucks.

Also saw a guy ask to see a players hand when that player and another player played an allin pot. Mind you it was only these two in the hand so if they were colluding they are pretty dumb as they lost the rake between them. Unreal

Updated numbers.
BR : $4072
Win/loss : $3124
Hours : 164:52
Hourly rate: $19.21

Last edited by PolProf; 10-05-2012 at 01:23 AM.
Old Guy to Vegas Quote
10-05-2012 , 06:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolProf
I'm sorry but it doesn't seem wise to rush into such a move.
This thread no longer has anything whatsoever to do with "Las Vegas Lifestyle."

With all due respect, what is the point of continuing to post hand histories from your local casino? You've now admitted to yourself that you have no plans whatsoever to move to Las Vegas in the foreseeable future. Sure, it may still happen at some point many months or years from now....many people have such a dream. But that doesn't make your story (or theirs) apppropriate for this forum.

Perhaps this thread should be moved to the Poker Goals & Challenges forum.
Old Guy to Vegas Quote
10-05-2012 , 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2LV
This thread no longer has anything whatsoever to do with "Las Vegas Lifestyle."

With all due respect, what is the point of continuing to post hand histories from your local casino? You've now admitted to yourself that you have no plans whatsoever to move to Las Vegas in the foreseeable future. Sure, it may still happen at some point many months or years from now....many people have such a dream. But that doesn't make your story (or theirs) apppropriate for this forum.

Perhaps this thread should be moved to the Poker Goals & Challenges forum.
Wow forum police out early this morning. That's fine. Lol

I'll post next when I'm in the process of moving.

Thanks for the support from everyone!!
Old Guy to Vegas Quote
10-05-2012 , 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Jay
I dont even really open up my game for an hour when i start to get reads on the table. I feel im most profitable when i am deep and have solid reads between hours 3 and 6. Ideally i play between 6 and 10 hours. 2 hours is crazy. Have a red bull and suck it up! Its a job and its not easy!
That's what I was thinking too.
Old Guy to Vegas Quote
10-07-2012 , 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarberryBSD
Are there any LV rooms that actually use full-time props?

I have played many many times against floors who sit down to help get the game started or when tables are running short handed at the graveyard hours, but all of them were "floor person" first and "prop" second? ie) Not full-time props.
I'm almost positive no rooms in Vegas use props.
Old Guy to Vegas Quote
10-07-2012 , 09:23 PM
I've played with props in Las Vegas.
Old Guy to Vegas Quote

      
m