Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Las Vegas Lifestyle Discussion of all things Las Vegas. Ask questions about hotels/shows/etc., coordinate meetups with other 2+2ers and post Las Vegas trip reports.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2008, 11:41 AM   #101
StevieG
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
StevieG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: b-more
Posts: 6,785
Re: General Vegas Discussion/Questions/ETC - Post your quick questions here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4_2_it View Post
CP is very nice. Definitely a few notches above Bally's and Harrah's. The $20 trick got us a room with a hot tub.
4_2_it,

Nice. Also,





????
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 01:58 PM   #102
MissT74
veteran
 
MissT74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kingman, Arizona
Posts: 2,287
Re: General Vegas Discussion/Questions/ETC - Post your quick questions here

I only tip on dropping off the car at Valet if I want it kept up front, which gets me my car in 2 mins when I leave. Otherwise, only when picking up the car.

Also, if you tip the valet with $5 when turning in your ticket, they'll usually put you ahead of a few people, especially if they saw them with their little $1-$2 ready to tip.


T
MissT74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 04:11 PM   #103
westside8
adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 874
Re: General Vegas Discussion/Questions/ETC - Post your quick questions here

Question for those who have used or have experiences with the last minute show booths in Vegas (the one in Fashion Outlet Mall or the other one - forgot the location off the top of my head). How likely am I going to be able to get a pair of tickets for a show like Mamma Mia, or one of the Cirque Shows (just some examples) on the day of? Should I go there first thing in the morning? Or wait til later on in the day (if there is any benefits to going later in the day)?
westside8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 04:15 PM   #104
KTsuited
newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 32
Re: General Vegas Discussion/Questions/ETC - Post your quick questions here

Currently staying at the Strat in Vegas, and I want to go shopping for some basics - toothpaste, liquor, cheap crappy digital camera etc etc. Which is the best mall to visit for these kind of basics? Have got a hire car so can travel.
KTsuited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 04:25 PM   #105
pig4bill
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 26,239
Re: General Vegas Discussion/Questions/ETC - Post your quick questions here

There used to be a huge gift shop on the corner of Sahara and LV Blvd. Not sure they'd have booze though.

Dunno about Safeway there but the local ones have cheap booze.
pig4bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 04:36 PM   #106
StevieG
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
StevieG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: b-more
Posts: 6,785
Re: General Vegas Discussion/Questions/ETC - Post your quick questions here

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTsuited View Post
Currently staying at the Strat in Vegas, and I want to go shopping for some basics - toothpaste, liquor, cheap crappy digital camera etc etc. Which is the best mall to visit for these kind of basics? Have got a hire car so can travel.
Start at Walmart. There is a large one near you. Take the Strip north to Charleston Boulevard, make a right. Looks to be a half mile down.

Walmart has a ton of stuff, all cheap, and it will be a cultural experience.

There is also an Albertsons Grocery store on Maryland Parkway just south of Sahara. Use that for fresh fruit and so on.

As for booze, Lee's discount liquor comes up in LV conversations, but Google maps does not show one as close to you as that Walmart and Albertsons. Ask someone in those stores for a nearby place.
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 04:53 PM   #107
KTsuited
newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 32
Re: General Vegas Discussion/Questions/ETC - Post your quick questions here

Walmart sounds good - have heard a lot about it but never visited! That gift shop sounds useful too if I'm on foot (ie drunk!). Better go and get that toothpaste, people keep changing seats when they're sat next to me at the poker table, and I don't think it's because of my excellent play
KTsuited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:54 PM   #108
lost vegas
centurion
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: henderson, nv
Posts: 123
Re: General Vegas Discussion/Questions/ETC - Post your quick questions here

take the strip south to flamingo and hang a left. go down till you see pecos and there will be a lee's on the left.
lost vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:00 PM   #109
DoGGz
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
DoGGz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: in the streets, in the lab
Posts: 17,295
Re: General Vegas Discussion/Questions/ETC - Post your quick questions here

Booze at Walmart and other fine department stores will be similarly priced to Lee's. Don't expect to find the high-end selection, though. That's where Lee's is great.
DoGGz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:34 PM   #110
4-5Suited
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 92
Re: General Vegas Discussion/Questions/ETC - Post your quick questions here

Hey Im seriously considering going to vegas for a 3-5 days. Where is the best place I could play some single table satellites (or super satellites)for a bracelet event 1500-2000 buy in? I know probably the Rio but as a second option there would be . . . Also I would play multitable tourneys anywhere from 50-200 buy ins what casinos have the best value for my money?

a general idea on what these tourneys would run me would be great, probably bringing 800-1500 for poker that trip.
4-5Suited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 01:02 AM   #111
senjitsu
banned
 
senjitsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: λαγχάν
Posts: 3,058
Re: General Vegas Discussion/Questions/ETC - Post your quick questions here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-5Suited View Post
Hey Im seriously considering going to vegas for a 3-5 days. Where is the best place I could play some single table satellites (or super satellites)for a bracelet event 1500-2000 buy in? I know probably the Rio but as a second option there would be . . . Also I would play multitable tourneys anywhere from 50-200 buy ins what casinos have the best value for my money?

a general idea on what these tourneys would run me would be great, probably bringing 800-1500 for poker that trip.
If anyone aside from the rio is running sattelites for one of the prelim events, it would prolly be one of the harrahs properties... ceasers seems most likely. That said, i dont recall seeing a sat for a prelim event anywhere but the rio last year (not even at binions, where youd think it would make sense).

the good news is that, if this year is anything like last year, there will be a pretty robust sat schedule going on at the rio.
senjitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 05:25 PM   #112
Vehement
grinder
 
Vehement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 678
Re: General Vegas Discussion/Questions/ETC - Post your quick questions here

Will the $20 trick work at strat ?
Vehement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 10:54 PM   #113
Black winter day
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Black winter day's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Israel
Posts: 6,233
Re: General Vegas Discussion/Questions/ETC - Post your quick questions here

Do WSOP tournaments have limits on the number of entrants this year?

Also, can anyone confirm how much cash exactly can i bring to the USA?
Black winter day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 11:26 PM   #114
Monkey Man
stranger
 
Monkey Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1
Re: General Vegas Discussion/Questions/ETC - Post your quick questions here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vehement View Post
Will the $20 trick work at strat ?
It should...worth it to try.
Monkey Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 04:46 AM   #115
DoGGz
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
DoGGz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: in the streets, in the lab
Posts: 17,295
Re: General Vegas Discussion/Questions/ETC - Post your quick questions here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black winter day View Post
Do WSOP tournaments have limits on the number of entrants this year?

Also, can anyone confirm how much cash exactly can i bring to the USA?
If you are in good standing with the law, I don't know of any limit on funds that you can actually take with you.
DoGGz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:17 AM   #116
Louis Cyphre
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Louis Cyphre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Porada Ninfu, Lampukistan
Posts: 9,634
Re: General Vegas Discussion/Questions/ETC - Post your quick questions here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoGGz View Post
If you are in good standing with the law, I don't know of any limit on funds that you can actually take with you.
I am quite sure there is a $10k limit on the amount of cash you can bring into the US hassle free.
Louis Cyphre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:26 AM   #117
Louis Cyphre
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Louis Cyphre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Porada Ninfu, Lampukistan
Posts: 9,634
Re: General Vegas Discussion/Questions/ETC - Post your quick questions here

I'll be staying in Vegas from June 8th until July 10th and have booked a room at the Imperial Palace. I am aware that this isn't one of the nicer hotels on the strip but with the WSOP rate it looks like good value and I am a value-minded person. I don't intend to spend much time in the room anyway.
I have been getting second thoughts lately and am wondering if it is worth it to upgrade to the Harrah's ($650 extra) or Flamingo ($1050 extra).
The Flamingo has a much nicer pool which is great because I am bringing my girlfriend.
I am hesitant to pay an extra grand for a pool and something as abstract as an "overall nicer" hotel when I could just as well spend that money on 2 Cirque shows, a Quad tour and a night at the Spearmint Rhino.
Louis Cyphre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 08:42 AM   #118
StevieG
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
StevieG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: b-more
Posts: 6,785
Re: General Vegas Discussion/Questions/ETC - Post your quick questions here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black winter day View Post
Also, can anyone confirm how much cash exactly can i bring to the USA?
There is no limit to the amount of currency you can bring into the United States.

However failure to declare more than $10,000 in cash to U.S. Customs can result in seizure of the currency.

On the positive side, there is no duty to pay on the cash you bring in and a very simple form to fill out called the FinCEN 105. Here is a link to FinCEn 105 as a PDF. Conveniently, you can fill out the form by typing in the fields in Adobe Acrobat and then print it, or save it and print it later, etc.

Another thing going for you is that the WSOP is so well known now that if anyone does question you about your use of the cash, your explanation will probably result in more small talk than anything else.

Some notes about the form:
  • Field 2 Identification Number - If you have a U.S. Social Security Number, use it. If not, use your Alien Registration Number (from your green card). If you have neither, use your passport number.
  • Field 3 Birth date is in Month/Day/Year format (as opposed to the the customs declaration form you fill out on the plane, where it is in Day/Month/Year format).
  • The $10,000 limit is per family, not per person. If you are traveling with your wife, she can't take $8,000 while you take $8,000 to avoid declaration.
  • Don't forget to answer "Yes" to the question asking if you are traveling with more than $10,000 when filling out the customs declaration form issued to you on the plane.
  • FinCEN stands for Financial Crimes Enforcement Network. They also publish the Cash Transaction Reports (CTRs) and Suspicious Activity Reports (SARs) that casinos are required to fill out for some cash activities. These get discussed in the B&M forum often. It was also a Suspicious Activity Report that began the investigation that eventually led to the downfall of New York Governor Eliot Spitzer for engaging prostitutes.

Last edited by StevieG; 05-26-2008 at 09:07 AM.
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 11:14 AM   #119
4_2_it
Preventer
 
4_2_it's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Stranded on a Dessert Island
Posts: 24,745
Re: General Vegas Discussion/Questions/ETC - Post your quick questions here

Louis,

How much non-poker gambling do you and your GF plan to do? If you get a Total Rewards card you might be able to build up some comps and get a reduced midway through your trip. Your GF will definitely like Flamingo the best (assuming Harrah's and IP are the competition).

If you plan to gamboool it up a little, it would be a good idea to talk to a casino host at Flamingo and see what options are available.
4_2_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 12:22 PM   #120
Black winter day
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Black winter day's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Israel
Posts: 6,233
Re: General Vegas Discussion/Questions/ETC - Post your quick questions here

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
There is no limit to the amount of currency you can bring into the United States.

However failure to declare more than $10,000 in cash to U.S. Customs can result in seizure of the currency.

On the positive side, there is no duty to pay on the cash you bring in and a very simple form to fill out called the FinCEN 105. Here is a link to FinCEn 105 as a PDF. Conveniently, you can fill out the form by typing in the fields in Adobe Acrobat and then print it, or save it and print it later, etc.

Another thing going for you is that the WSOP is so well known now that if anyone does question you about your use of the cash, your explanation will probably result in more small talk than anything else.

Some notes about the form:
  • Field 2 Identification Number - If you have a U.S. Social Security Number, use it. If not, use your Alien Registration Number (from your green card). If you have neither, use your passport number.
  • Field 3 Birth date is in Month/Day/Year format (as opposed to the the customs declaration form you fill out on the plane, where it is in Day/Month/Year format).
  • The $10,000 limit is per family, not per person. If you are traveling with your wife, she can't take $8,000 while you take $8,000 to avoid declaration.
  • Don't forget to answer "Yes" to the question asking if you are traveling with more than $10,000 when filling out the customs declaration form issued to you on the plane.
  • FinCEN stands for Financial Crimes Enforcement Network. They also publish the Cash Transaction Reports (CTRs) and Suspicious Activity Reports (SARs) that casinos are required to fill out for some cash activities. These get discussed in the B&M forum often. It was also a Suspicious Activity Report that began the investigation that eventually led to the downfall of New York Governor Eliot Spitzer for engaging prostitutes.
Thanks for such an ellaborate answer. So, basically i can fill out this form and take as much as i want to?
For example, if i have decided to bring 20k, i just fill that form, put 20k in the amount and show it the customs?

What about on my way back? Do i have to declare how much i am taking out?
Black winter day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 01:02 PM   #121
Louis Cyphre
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Louis Cyphre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Porada Ninfu, Lampukistan
Posts: 9,634
Re: General Vegas Discussion/Questions/ETC - Post your quick questions here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4_2_it View Post
Louis,

How much non-poker gambling do you and your GF plan to do? If you get a Total Rewards card you might be able to build up some comps and get a reduced midway through your trip. Your GF will definitely like Flamingo the best (assuming Harrah's and IP are the competition).

If you plan to gamboool it up a little, it would be a good idea to talk to a casino host at Flamingo and see what options are available.
I go to Vegas mainly to play poker.
Last year my girlfriend only played the penny slots and some roulette. I played a little low stakes (~$10) BJ, Pai-Gow and Craps. I doubt a casino host will be much interested considering the low stakes and volume.
I am sure the Flamingo is the nicer hotel eg. the pools at IP and Flamingo are in completely different leagues. I am just wondering if it is worth the extra grand because I am not willing to pay $1000 just for the pool.
Louis Cyphre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 01:15 PM   #122
DoGGz
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
DoGGz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: in the streets, in the lab
Posts: 17,295
Re: General Vegas Discussion/Questions/ETC - Post your quick questions here

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisCyphre View Post
I am quite sure there is a $10k limit on the amount of cash you can bring into the US hassle free.
It's hardly a hassle. It's only a hassle if you are tax dodging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black winter day View Post
Thanks for such an ellaborate answer. So, basically i can fill out this form and take as much as i want to?
For example, if i have decided to bring 20k, i just fill that form, put 20k in the amount and show it the customs?

What about on my way back? Do i have to declare how much i am taking out?
Yes, and you will have to declare any amount over 10k when you leave. It's the same process as entering. If you are arriving from any First world country (or Canada), and more especially to/from Vegas, all they want is to know where their currency is going.
DoGGz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 01:43 PM   #123
HeheOkok
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 342
Re: General Vegas Discussion/Questions/ETC - Post your quick questions here

I'm wondering about payment for houses in Vegas. We've found a pretty sweet house in a good location through vacationrentals.com. The only problem is that they demand to be paid 100% of the cost for the total of the 18 days or whatever.

Is this standard or should we be worried? I mean it would be a pretty sick spot if the house didn't even exist ...
HeheOkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 02:43 PM   #124
lost vegas
centurion
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: henderson, nv
Posts: 123
Re: General Vegas Discussion/Questions/ETC - Post your quick questions here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4_2_it View Post
Louis,

How much non-poker gambling do you and your GF plan to do? If you get a Total Rewards card you might be able to build up some comps and get a reduced midway through your trip. Your GF will definitely like Flamingo the best (assuming Harrah's and IP are the competition).

If you plan to gamboool it up a little, it would be a good idea to talk to a casino host at Flamingo and see what options are available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisCyphre View Post
I go to Vegas mainly to play poker.
Last year my girlfriend only played the penny slots and some roulette. I played a little low stakes (~$10) BJ, Pai-Gow and Craps. I doubt a casino host will be much interested considering the low stakes and volume.
I am sure the Flamingo is the nicer hotel eg. the pools at IP and Flamingo are in completely different leagues. I am just wondering if it is worth the extra grand because I am not willing to pay $1000 just for the pool.

my suggestion would be to stay at IP and just pay go to the pool at Mirage for $20 a day. (european pool optional). the stratosphere has that option as well.
lost vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 03:36 PM   #125
DoGGz
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
DoGGz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: in the streets, in the lab
Posts: 17,295
Re: General Vegas Discussion/Questions/ETC - Post your quick questions here

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeheOkok View Post
I'm wondering about payment for houses in Vegas. We've found a pretty sweet house in a good location through vacationrentals.com. The only problem is that they demand to be paid 100% of the cost for the total of the 18 days or whatever.

Is this standard or should we be worried? I mean it would be a pretty sick spot if the house didn't even exist ...
Of course they demand rent payment up front. My landlord makes us pay the the month before we live there, also. Use google and your brain to decide on the likelihood of a scame. Vacationrentals.com is pretty solid from what I know. Much more likely to get scamed on craigslist.
DoGGz is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online