Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Las Vegas Lifestyle Discussion of all things Las Vegas. Ask questions about hotels/shows/etc., coordinate meetups with other 2+2ers and post Las Vegas trip reports.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2017, 01:27 AM   #2751
Making the Move
newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 24
Re: Hotel Review Thread

I saw that quote in the article. Suffice to say they are full of ****. There were entire herds of people wandering around with no staff members in sight to direct them. It was actually a little dangerous.

The only place they were organized was at the front lobby, where they had a person direct guests to the left of the flooding. From there, we were completely on our own.
Making the Move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:11 AM   #2752
Koalapete
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 65
Re: Hotel Review Thread

Wow. Hope they have this sorted out by Tuesday 11 July when I arrive there for 5 nights.
Koalapete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:06 PM   #2753
ran
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 328
Re: Hotel Review Thread

Two hotel comparison questions in planning our next trip:

1) Please rank: MGM Grand, Mirage, Mandalay Bay. Based on standard king room quality, public areas, casino. Pools etc., restaurants, and location not a consideration, we know all that and aren't ever tied down to one property. (I ask because we got an unexpected comp at MB and we haven't stayed there or even been inside afaik. We know the other two well.)

2) Orleans rooms vs. Gold Coast rooms. Stayed at Orleans (basic but clean rooms, a little dated but comfortable). Never stayed at GC but convenience to Rio/Palms might be nice if GC is comparable. Always get Orleans comps which are good on weekend nights - I refuse to pay weelkend strip prices.
ran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:17 PM   #2754
Bloobird
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Bloobird's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 20,871
Re: Hotel Review Thread

MB > Mirage by quite a way in terms of room and casino quality IMO.

Would personally still stay Mirage over MB due to location.
Bloobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:17 PM   #2755
eco74
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,522
Re: Hotel Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ran View Post
Two hotel comparison questions in planning our next trip:

1) Please rank: MGM Grand, Mirage, Mandalay Bay. Based on standard king room quality, public areas, casino. Pools etc., restaurants, and location not a consideration, we know all that and aren't ever tied down to one property. (I ask because we got an unexpected comp at MB and we haven't stayed there or even been inside afaik. We know the other two well.)

2) Orleans rooms vs. Gold Coast rooms. Stayed at Orleans (basic but clean rooms, a little dated but comfortable). Never stayed at GC but convenience to Rio/Palms might be nice if GC is comparable. Always get Orleans comps which are good on weekend nights - I refuse to pay weelkend strip prices.
1. MB>Mirage>MGM Grand. I can't imagine anyone would argue this, based on the criteria you gave.
eco74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:36 AM   #2756
Making the Move
newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 24
Re: Hotel Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco74 View Post
1. MB>Mirage>MGM Grand. I can't imagine anyone would argue this, based on the criteria you gave.
3 I wouldn't fight you if you chose MGM over Mirage with location not being a concern. I like the vibe at MGM better than Mirage. It was the first place I stayed in Vegas, though (think my first 3 trips were there), so I am probably a big nostalgic over it.
Making the Move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:40 PM   #2757
eco74
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,522
Re: Hotel Review Thread

MGM Grand to me is like going to the airport. Huge and impersonal. I know personal preference plays into these things, but I truly hate the place.
eco74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:51 AM   #2758
lanyi
Pooh-Bah
 
lanyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In line to board the HP Rungoot
Posts: 5,390
Re: Hotel Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco74 View Post
MGM Grand to me is like going to the airport. Huge and impersonal. I know personal preference plays into these things, but I truly hate the place.
I feel the same way. The endless corridors were also annoying. Would take me 15 min. to get to the room.
lanyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:12 PM   #2759
z28dreams
Pooh-Bah
 
z28dreams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Spammer
Posts: 5,101
Re: Hotel Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ran View Post
Two hotel comparison questions in planning our next trip:

1) Please rank: MGM Grand, Mirage, Mandalay Bay. Based on standard king room quality, public areas, casino. Pools etc., restaurants, and location not a consideration, we know all that and aren't ever tied down to one property. (I ask because we got an unexpected comp at MB and we haven't stayed there or even been inside afaik. We know the other two well.)

2) Orleans rooms vs. Gold Coast rooms. Stayed at Orleans (basic but clean rooms, a little dated but comfortable). Never stayed at GC but convenience to Rio/Palms might be nice if GC is comparable. Always get Orleans comps which are good on weekend nights - I refuse to pay weelkend strip prices.
If location isn't really a concern, then Mandalay Bay is >>> MGM.

If you want to be closer to mid-strip, the best value places to me are TI, Mirage, and Ballys for a cheap option. (roughly in order of $ and quality). Ballys isn't that nice or a place you want to spend much time in by itself, but in my last few visits it was at least $30-$40 cheaper per night than the others and has an awesome location right next to Paris, across the street from Cosmo, and close to Venetian.
z28dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:51 PM   #2760
SenatorKevin
veteran
 
SenatorKevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Santa Monica
Posts: 2,557
Re: Hotel Review Thread

I stayed at Aria and Encore for a two week spread during the WSOP. My room at Aria could have used a little TLC. The shower leaked, multiple lightbulbs were burnt out and the electronic shades failed half the time. The amazing beds at Aria seemed not as comfortable this year, albeit wasn't terrible. On the positive side, Five50 is still the stone cold nuts for a quick meal.

The valet at Aria also killed my battery by somehow turning the lights on. I will say, that the parking attendant jumped my car and got it to me in record time but it doesn't explain how my lights were left on when I last returned the car to the valet during the day. I complained to Aria via two electronic routes about the inconvenience and heard nothing. On the flip side, I left some comments about a minor inconvenience at my Encore stay via their post stay survey and I received a personal response within an hour from the hotel and was offered some kickbacks for my next visit.

I'd write something else about Encore, but honestly everything is awesome there with some exception to their bedding.

I'm staying at the Mandarin next week for a work conference for the first time, so I'm excited to check that place out and report back. Have some pretty high expectations based on feedback.
SenatorKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:47 PM   #2761
pig4bill
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 26,418
Re: Hotel Review Thread

Is it a nice car? They probably took it out at night and did a Ferris Beuller. Happened to a friend of mine at the Venetian. His car had an extra hundred miles on it from when he handed it over to the valet.
pig4bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 01:41 AM   #2762
SenatorKevin
veteran
 
SenatorKevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Santa Monica
Posts: 2,557
Re: Hotel Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig4bill View Post
Is it a nice car? They probably took it out at night and did a Ferris Beuller. Happened to a friend of mine at the Venetian. His car had an extra hundred miles on it from when he handed it over to the valet.
Nope, an older Acura TL. If they did take it out for a spin, then leaving the lights on would have killed any evidence since my trip meter got reset when it bricked with the dead battery. Would be pretty amusing if they did to be honest. Or perhaps it was a ploy to get a bigger tip, which worked since I sported the kid a twenty. (had multiple issues with the battery earlier this year, long story short never buy a replacement battery through AAA)
SenatorKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:04 PM   #2763
drbeechwood
adept
 
drbeechwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southwest USA
Posts: 780
Re: Hotel Review Thread

Going to Vegas from 11/30-12/4. I have 3 nights at Aria but the Thursday 11/30 date was super expensive there, so I'm doing the first night somewhere else.

My choices are: older room at Monte Carlo for $90 (including all fees/taxes) or Planet Hollywood for $100 (ditto). No brainer to go to PH, right?

both are close enough to Aria so that the move won't be too inconvenient.

BTW I booked Aria in late July. I called today and the three night rate was $150 lower than originally quoted. Is this a post-shooting discount?
drbeechwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:30 AM   #2764
feel wrath
The Situation
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: lost on the turn
Posts: 15,350
Re: Hotel Review Thread

Have never stayed at Monte Carlo but PH is solid - only real drawback is the pool but given time of year, that won't be an issue
feel wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:50 AM   #2765
Bdywax
adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Dante's seventh level of hell
Posts: 894
Re: Hotel Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbeechwood View Post
Going to Vegas from 11/30-12/4. I have 3 nights at Aria but the Thursday 11/30 date was super expensive there, so I'm doing the first night somewhere else.

My choices are: older room at Monte Carlo for $90 (including all fees/taxes) or Planet Hollywood for $100 (ditto). No brainer to go to PH, right?

both are close enough to Aria so that the move won't be too inconvenient.

BTW I booked Aria in late July. I called today and the three night rate was $150 lower than originally quoted. Is this a post-shooting discount?
Monte Carlo is currently under construction. They are renovating and rebranding it due to the sports arena. Personally I would never stay there with this going on. Not to mention no WiFi in the rooms.

Did you get the lower price at Aria? Not sure if the price drop is due to the shooting. I have seen their rates drop suddenly a few times in the past.
Bdywax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 01:31 PM   #2766
drbeechwood
adept
 
drbeechwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southwest USA
Posts: 780
Re: Hotel Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdywax View Post

Did you get the lower price at Aria? Not sure if the price drop is due to the shooting. I have seen their rates drop suddenly a few times in the past.
Yes, my three-day Aria rate (Fri/Sat/Sun) went down $150. I would recommend checking to see if the rate has gone down if you booked a Vegas hotel awhile ago.
drbeechwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:16 PM   #2767
R*R
Painting It Black
 
R*R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In The Middle
Posts: 7,419
Re: Hotel Review Thread

Rates drop all the time in Vegas for many different reasons. After booking I often check that rates because, in almost every case, if they drop the casinos always will honor the lower rate if asked.
R*R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:20 AM   #2768
Javanewt
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: a farm in the country
Posts: 6,582
Re: Hotel Review Thread

I've stayed in many hotels in Vegas (Caesars, Cosmo, Bellagio, Wynn, IP (back in the day), Tuscany, Monte Carlo, Trump, Flamingo -- probably one or two others I can't remember). Cosmo was definitely the nicest.

However, I'd take the best deal I could get mid-strip (or really anywhere on the strip) if I had to pick a hotel. How much time to you spend there, anyway? As long as the rooms are clean, doesn't make much difference to me (and I'm a middle-aged woman). I spend most of my time at the poker table (or snowboarding if there's snow), anyway.

(Lucky now to have a timeshare, though, so I don't have to worry about hotels anymore.)
Javanewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 03:58 PM   #2769
BiteMeFish
Pooh-Bah
 
BiteMeFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Clawing back up...
Posts: 3,719
Re: Hotel Review Thread

Just thought I'd share a note on my stay at the Linq last June.

Elevators regularly took 8-10 minutes to arrive when called. Time of day didn't matter. Also, my pool view room on the 19th floor had such a large ledge under the window that I couldn't actually see the pool. WTF?

Location and price can't really be beat, and the room itself, if not large, was clean, nice, and well-lit. But that doesn't make a difference if you can't get to it in a reasonable amount of time.
BiteMeFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 04:24 PM   #2770
drbeechwood
adept
 
drbeechwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southwest USA
Posts: 780
Re: Hotel Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiteMeFish View Post
Just thought I'd share a note on my stay at the Linq last June.

Elevators regularly took 8-10 minutes to arrive when called. Time of day didn't matter. Also, my pool view room on the 19th floor had such a large ledge under the window that I couldn't actually see the pool. WTF?

Location and price can't really be beat, and the room itself, if not large, was clean, nice, and well-lit. But that doesn't make a difference if you can't get to it in a reasonable amount of time.
Whether the elevators are slow or not, it's nice to be on the lowest floor that your bank of elevators accesses. That is, if one set goes from 1-22, and another goes from 23-40, being on floor 23 is WAY better than being on floor 22.
drbeechwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 04:02 PM   #2771
BiteMeFish
Pooh-Bah
 
BiteMeFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Clawing back up...
Posts: 3,719
Re: Hotel Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbeechwood View Post
Whether the elevators are slow or not, it's nice to be on the lowest floor that your bank of elevators accesses. That is, if one set goes from 1-22, and another goes from 23-40, being on floor 23 is WAY better than being on floor 22.
I think most people agree. I personally like a view, so I'll take high floors in general. The issue was not, imo, that the elevators themselves were slow. Floor to floor travel seemed speedy as far as I could tell. There were just so. many. people. trying to get on each car that it took forever for a car to reach ground or get to my floor (admittedly would have been faster on a lower level). They need bigger banks to accommodate people. Regardless, it was off-putting.
BiteMeFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online