Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Las Vegas Lifestyle Discussion of all things Las Vegas. Ask questions about hotels/shows/etc., coordinate meetups with other 2+2ers and post Las Vegas trip reports.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2015, 10:53 AM   #1451
thenorcaljew
 
thenorcaljew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Lost Vegas, NV
Posts: 6,725
Re: cushlash in Vegas; TLDR

this kind of feeling is why i love music, such an amazing outlet, sorry (well it depends) just my 2 cents

this convo made me think of this song
thenorcaljew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 12:47 PM   #1452
miamicheats
i finance dead fish
 
miamicheats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: getting reverse bumhunted
Posts: 16,346
Re: cushlash in Vegas; TLDR

Try volunteering, it might help you feel more fulfilled
miamicheats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:10 PM   #1453
ECGrinder
old hand
 
ECGrinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Vegas
Posts: 1,204
Re: cushlash in Vegas; TLDR

Ddt your posts are pretty spot on here. I'm a full time player who grinds long hours. It's delusional for anyone to think that they're going to love every second at the poker table. This game is clearly not all sunshine and butterflys. What people fail to realize though, is that pretty much every pursuit will be like that to an extent. The desire to get good at / crush anything is going to require the discipline to put in long hours on the days where working is the last thing you want to do. People in general struggle a lot with focusing on the big picture ie their overarching goals (if they even know what they are). The key for success and fulfillment is to keep these bigger goals in mind as you move through the day/week/year imo.
ECGrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:47 PM   #1454
riverdog
centurion
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 160
Re: cushlash in Vegas; TLDR

Most pros I know went into poker because they loved it and didn't want to have an employer. Then for almost all eventually the shine wears off, and if they haven't zenned up by then many come to hate the grind. They lose or quit or force themselves to eek out 20 hours a week and hate it. Most of these have never held a long-term crappy or slightly crappy job. They don't know what it's like for most of society and may be surprised that crappy-job holders aren't too sympathetic since their jobs have sucked that whole time.

Someone who had a crappy job for many years then turned pro may also do so because they love poker and can make more, but once the shine wears off they still know that grinding poker beats lifting boxes/selling retail/whatever unless your fellow box-lifters are great people.

Then there are quiet pros making a low-level living long-term, but they play in home games that are far more pleasant than Vegas games. These folks are undercounted. The jerks don't get invited to other home games or are kicked out. If they are smart, they create rakeback and prop arrangements and earn $10-$40/hr on top of that. Some of these players barely break even but live off the cut, and as major nits they quietly fill the seat and don't piss anybody off or appear to win much, because their win is the rake. They last, though, because the games are more fun.

Having seen a couple hundred people go through this, I'd say it's uncommon to rare NOT to have this emotional course as a casino pro unless you are a so-called semi-pro making decent money off the game playing 15-30 hrs/week after the day job. These ones last longer, because poker IS their break from their slightly crappy or crappy job. The shine has more traction when you don't have to do it.

Just my 2+2 cents.
riverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:22 PM   #1455
pure_aggression
Pooh-Bah
 
pure_aggression's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pure Aggression on YouTube
Posts: 5,217
Re: cushlash in Vegas; TLDR

I can totally understand where you are coming from cushlash. I feel the same way sometimes and I know I certainly don't want to be playing poker as my main source of income for 20 years.

The irony is that some recreational players are pondering "what would it be like to quit my job and play poker all day?" and some grinders are thinking "what would it be like to have a job and not have to play poker all day?"

Luckily, it can be easy to transition into other entrepreneurial ventures given the flexibility of a poker player's schedule and some similar skill sets.

I recommend checking this out, lots of good insight about determining your values and having the motivation to achieve your goals.

The Power Of Ambition by Jim Rohn
pure_aggression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:41 PM   #1456
OMC
journeyman
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 232
Re: cushlash in Vegas; TLDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverdog View Post
Most pros I know went into poker because they loved it and didn't want to have an employer. Then for almost all eventually the shine wears off, and if they haven't zenned up by then many come to hate the grind. They lose or quit or force themselves to eek out 20 hours a week and hate it.
This, and DietDrThunder's posts, are very good.

I suppose I am pretty "zenned up" about poker. I've been playing for a living longer than many of you have been alive, and I've gone through many stages with it. Now, I neither get happy or sad about winning or losing, not much. I play smaller than ever, and am overrolled. I no longer have poker ambitions. That's part of zenning up, I suppose.

The biggest cause of live pro failure is what DDT and others have said, which is that most guys aren't nearly as good as they think they are. Most would-be pros get started after an extensive hot streak, and when the cards break even, they then hate the game, and then blame the game. LAGs are TAGs who haven't run bad yet.

Another problem is playing way too much. When I see the hours goals in PG&C I want to puke.

But here's kind of the secret reason guys fail, and I have no better articulation of this, but if poker is a thing in your life, you're doing it wrong. You guys eat, drink and breathe poker. Don't. Reduce the game to something you don't think about off the table. Even 2+2 is best read at the table, not at home.

I raised three kids in a middle-class SoCal lifestyle off poker. I was never the dad missing soccer games for business trips, I was the dad coaching the games. Because of poker, I had the freedom. And because of my kids I had the grounding reality of knowing what's really important in life and from what comes real happiness.

Now, my kids grown, and newly divorced, I'm back to putting in more hours. And you know something? I like it. I like people. Even the degens, hell, they're just our fellow human beings, and if you aren't loaning and staking, they can't hurt you. And if the games themselves are slow, I read, watch ball games or Netflix, talk to complete strangers from the world over, eat well, or just go home.

And most especially I like sleeping when I'm tired, waking when I'm not, exercising right off, then reading and writing. I've have a few novels published over the years, and made little money, but I still love to read and write and don't mind the lack of overt success because all I really want to do is live a life where I can read and write, everyday, to my heart's content, and then, if I feel like it, go play for a living.

At your age, Cushlash, and Pure and Duke and Aesah and ECG and Bob_124 and the Trooper as well, all of whose threads I've enjoyed, you guys often say that you can't imagine playing for a living 20 years from now. I understand that. You probably, at your age, no matter what you're doing, can't imagine doing it 20 years later. Cubicles around the world are filled by young people who can't imagine sitting in a cubicle 20 years later. That's your age. You're not, to borrow riverdog's phrase, zenned up about anything. You shouldn't be. You should be travelling, and when I say travelling I don't at all mean only by miles.

But maybe you'll end up being the OMC at the table one day. And if so I hope you find it as amusing, in a heartfelt way, as I do. I'd bet, of any of you, that one day long from now you'll understand why I like poker all over again, because you will like it again yourself. It's just a matter of perspective, and awareness that happiness comes from within.

And now I have to LOL because this has ended up being such an OMC post. Well, at least I've chosen the right 2+2 name for myself.
OMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:53 PM   #1457
nit3.runn3r
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
nit3.runn3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: I Have Jungle Fever, Wisconsin
Posts: 8,294
Re: cushlash in Vegas; TLDR

I want to be omc when I grow up (I'm 30 ).
nit3.runn3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:53 PM   #1458
abeliangrape
stranger
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 6
Re: cushlash in Vegas; TLDR

OMC, I love this post.

Cushlash - I've been following this thread passively for awhile and let me echo what other people have said: you seem like a nice, thoughtful guy. It will all work out just fine.

One thing that always confuses me is when people post about "passive" income. I'm an efficient market hypothesis kind of guy (cushlush, as a finance major, you must know what this is). You can get 7% in an index fund. Why would you expect more or less in any other venture, and if it was possible, why wouldn't a corporation already be doing it? And if you can live off of 7%....then you have a lot more money in the bank than I do!

Listen to the wealthiest man in bablyon: a rich man is not someone with a big purse, but someone with a reliable way of refilling the purse.
abeliangrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:05 PM   #1459
redbuck
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: S GA
Posts: 4,138
Re: cushlash in Vegas; TLDR

Great post, OMC.
I should know this, but I don't. Does "OMC" mean something in the poker world?
Cush, you're on the right track - it's your life, do whatever you want with it..
redbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 12:42 AM   #1460
cushlash
King of the Nits
 
cushlash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,331
Re: cushlash in Vegas; TLDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeliangrape View Post
OMC, I love this post.

Cushlash - I've been following this thread passively for awhile and let me echo what other people have said: you seem like a nice, thoughtful guy. It will all work out just fine.

One thing that always confuses me is when people post about "passive" income. I'm an efficient market hypothesis kind of guy (cushlush, as a finance major, you must know what this is). You can get 7% in an index fund. Why would you expect more or less in any other venture, and if it was possible, why wouldn't a corporation already be doing it? And if you can live off of 7%....then you have a lot more money in the bank than I do!

Listen to the wealthiest man in bablyon: a rich man is not someone with a big purse, but someone with a reliable way of refilling the purse.
Thanks man.

I have some stock market investments and ascribe to the EMH from a practical standpoint, meaning that even though the market is not efficient, individuals are not able to take advantage of market inefficiencies due to barriers to entry and trading costs, so I just index and take the 7% or whatever the market returns without doing any legwork.

Like you say though, to live off 7% you have to have a sizable chunk in the bank, especially considering its not a great idea to be drawing out in the years the market goes down. Thus, stocks are only part of what I mean when I say passive income.

By passive income I just mean income streams you don't have to manage day in and day out. Stocks are only one form of this. Rental income is a common example, of which there are many forms (houses, apartments, mini-storage, etc.). I've met many people who have businesses that became semi-passive because after a while they hired managers to run it and took whatever profit was left, which may be less than what they were making before but now they don't have to do much, if anything. Very rarely is something 100% passive and its usually a **** ton of work for no money when setting up. These types of things are more along the lines of "reliable ways to refill the purse".

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbuck View Post
Great post, OMC.
I should know this, but I don't. Does "OMC" mean something in the poker world?
Cush, you're on the right track - it's your life, do whatever you want with it..
OMC=Old Man Coffee

Speaking of which, yes that was a great post OMC. There have been a bunch of great posts lately. The ones I haven't responded to individually all fall under the category of "well said, great post, agreed, etc." so instead of being redundant in my responses I'll just say that I have read all responses and greatly appreciate everyone who jumped in on the conversation.
cushlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:30 AM   #1461
abeliangrape
stranger
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 6
Re: cushlash in Vegas; TLDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cushlash View Post
By passive income I just mean income streams you don't have to manage day in and day out. Stocks are only one form of this. Rental income is a common example, of which there are many forms (houses, apartments, mini-storage, etc.). I've met many people who have businesses that became semi-passive because after a while they hired managers to run it and took whatever profit was left, which may be less than what they were making before but now they don't have to do much, if anything. Very rarely is something 100% passive and its usually a **** ton of work for no money when setting up. These types of things are more along the lines of "reliable ways to refill the purse".
I think you should be skeptical of this. The EMH says that above market returns will be arbitraged away. If it was possible to make a >7% return renting apartments, then investors (such as yourself but more importantly firms and hedge funds) would buy and build rental property. This would drive up the price of rental property and drive down the rents both of which would continue until the return on renting property is the market rate.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea to invest in different things, I just don't think you should count on making more than 7% passively. I imagine you have a pretty high tolerance for risk. I think that's how you can make >7%: being willing to invest in things that are riskier than most other people are comfortable with.
abeliangrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:32 AM   #1462
MarkMcKay
grinder
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 405
Re: cushlash in Vegas; TLDR

how was OMC not already taken??

at cushlash but also everyone in this thread who is playing for a living. how do you guys rebound after a bad day where a bad day is not really running bad, that's just variance and I shrug, but playing bad, making avoidable mistakes, bluffing bad rivers vs stations, missing value bets etc?

I've been putting in 30h/w outside by day job and I just get super negative when that happened and don't want to think poker/read poker and usually just not play for a few days. How do you guys deal with this when you *have* to play?
MarkMcKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:41 AM   #1463
boxcheck
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: new york
Posts: 264
Re: cushlash in Vegas; TLDR

Hey man, I've been following your thread since it started. You out a lot of thought and work into it, and I respect that.
I've been playing poker since I was 16, full time since 18. I'm 25 now. The grind can get you really burned out from time to time. I started my own business to supplement my income and to balance my life out. I feel if you do a variety of different things throughout the ay poker just becomes another activity instead of making up most of your day.
I opened the business because I couldn't imagine myself grinding full time for my income when I had a family with kids. I'll always play poker, but now it'll just be for recreation.
I also feel your playing tyke can wear on your outlook. I play LAG and its a lot of fun when I play. I feel most refs play TAG and that can get boring. I played TAG a lot and it wasn't my cup of tea. I feel most people underestimate how hard it is to get good hands and make good hands in poker sometimes you an sit for hours not getting a premium hand.
Anyway my point is you should fill your day with other activities and poker should just be a part of your life. I assume you have a bankroll which you gives many business or real estate options to invest into. Poker is a one man business. But to me the whole point of a business is to automate it so you can work on other ventures and enjoy life while it prints you money.
boxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:19 AM   #1464
spirit123
self-banned
 
spirit123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 806
Re: cushlash in Vegas; TLDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMcKay View Post
how was OMC not already taken??

at cushlash but also everyone in this thread who is playing for a living. how do you guys rebound after a bad day where a bad day is not really running bad, that's just variance and I shrug, but playing bad, making avoidable mistakes, bluffing bad rivers vs stations, missing value bets etc?

I've been putting in 30h/w outside by day job and I just get super negative when that happened and don't want to think poker/read poker and usually just not play for a few days. How do you guys deal with this when you *have* to play?
It's pretty much the same with everyone. You vow never to play again. You might just want to eat and sleep for a few days. Then you think over the hands and learn from mistakes and vow to never make them again. Then you go back and play. You promise to play tighter, and then usually you realize how bad people are at poker and you start playing more hands. If you are good, you're usually going to be looser than the average player. Just my two cents.
spirit123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 01:47 PM   #1465
OMC
journeyman
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 232
Re: cushlash in Vegas; TLDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMcKay View Post
how was OMC not already taken??
I used my "one time" on a username.

Last edited by OMC; 03-17-2015 at 02:00 PM.
OMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 02:41 PM   #1466
cushlash
King of the Nits
 
cushlash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,331
Re: cushlash in Vegas; TLDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeliangrape View Post
I think you should be skeptical of this. The EMH says that above market returns will be arbitraged away. If it was possible to make a >7% return renting apartments, then investors (such as yourself but more importantly firms and hedge funds) would buy and build rental property. This would drive up the price of rental property and drive down the rents both of which would continue until the return on renting property is the market rate.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea to invest in different things, I just don't think you should count on making more than 7% passively. I imagine you have a pretty high tolerance for risk. I think that's how you can make >7%: being willing to invest in things that are riskier than most other people are comfortable with.
I don't want this to turn into an EMH debate, but I very much disagree with this. In practice people do not behave rationally and thus markets are simply not efficient. In the stock market individuals can't really take advantage (anymore) because of trading costs and the big players that, like you say, will correct those inefficiencies before individuals probably even know they existed.

However, in things like real estate and small businesses, markets are even more inefficient and there's more room for individuals to take advantage. Just because its possible to make >7% renting in a certain area, doesn't mean investors will pour in. Assuming they are even aware of the opportunity (big assumption) there are many reasons why above market returns would be possible. Maybe the area is too small for big players to care. Maybe its a pain in the ass to get set up so people decide to do something easier and make less money.

This applies even more to small businesses. Based on your line of thinking no one would open up shop anywhere doing anything because they'd say "well if it was possible to make better than 7% selling widgets here, someone would already be doing it so may as well just throw this in an index fund". Maybe no one has thought of selling that particular widget. Or, more likely, maybe tons of people have thought about it but never did it because aforementioned barriers to entry discouraged them from starting or they're just lazy. Maybe someone did try but sucks at running a business so they failed.

Applying EMH to all possible investments is the wrong way of thinking about it. Many opportunities are simply too small for big players to go after. Sure they can make more than 7%, but unless its a large investment its not worth their time to make say 10% on 100k when they could go make 7% on 100M. These opportunities are plenty big for an individual or small company to take advantage of though. They often remain open because big players have bigger fish to fry and barriers to entry/laziness/irrationality keeps other individuals from taking advantage.
cushlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 03:19 PM   #1467
cushlash
King of the Nits
 
cushlash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,331
Re: cushlash in Vegas; TLDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMcKay View Post
how was OMC not already taken??

at cushlash but also everyone in this thread who is playing for a living. how do you guys rebound after a bad day where a bad day is not really running bad, that's just variance and I shrug, but playing bad, making avoidable mistakes, bluffing bad rivers vs stations, missing value bets etc?

I've been putting in 30h/w outside by day job and I just get super negative when that happened and don't want to think poker/read poker and usually just not play for a few days. How do you guys deal with this when you *have* to play?
This has actually been something I've been thinking about a lot lately as I've been playing pretty poorly so its been happening a lot.

Your definition of what an actual bad day is is spot on. Variance rolls off my back pretty easy. I only really get upset when I make mistakes, whether I win or lose that day. Some of my "worst" days have been big wins that should have been monstrous but I made stupid errors.

I'm still working on the best way to deal with this but I think having a learning mindset is the best way to combat it. You need to get rid of the mindset that its bad to make mistakes. If you have the mindset that its normal to make mistakes and the important thing is to learn from them then its harder to beat yourself up. Reminding myself that I'm going to make mistakes literally every session and that its unavoidable helps me because instead of being mad about mistakes, I just say "ok, what mistakes did I make today, why did I make them, and what can I learn from it so I don't make the same mistake again". This makes it way easier to go in the next day not feeling down because I feel like I've made progress by learning from my mistakes.

Not thinking about the money in real world terms helps too. If you make a mistake and think "man that costed me $200, thats a lot of money", you're dead. As long as you're not under rolled, keep reminding yourself that the money doesn't matter and that as long as its in your bankroll its only chips. This mindset makes it easier to learn from mistakes and forgive yourself because you realize you didn't actually lose anything.

In the last few weeks I've started just putting hands I'm unsure about in my phone and forgetting about them until I'm off the table. This helps me pay attention to the game more whereas previously I would be doing mental gymnastics at the table trying to play the current hand and thinking about previous hands at the same time, leading to more mistakes.

Then I'll usually wait until the next day to review them because a lot of the time I'm not thinking clearly right after a session and I'm prone to be results oriented and assume I made a mistake where I didn't or find a way to rationalize a play and say I played it well when I actually made a mistake. Then the next day I analyze the hands objectively and just try to learn something. If I'm really having trouble I'll run it by a friend to get an outside opinion.

Basically, mistakes are part of the game and making them is not bad. Reminding yourself that its ok to make mistakes, in poker or otherwise, will help you stay positive because when you make mistakes you're focused on learning from them instead of beating yourself up about them.

Long response, got a little carried away, hope that answers your question.
cushlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 03:31 PM   #1468
cushlash
King of the Nits
 
cushlash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,331
Re: cushlash in Vegas; TLDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcheck View Post
Hey man, I've been following your thread since it started. You out a lot of thought and work into it, and I respect that.
I've been playing poker since I was 16, full time since 18. I'm 25 now. The grind can get you really burned out from time to time. I started my own business to supplement my income and to balance my life out. I feel if you do a variety of different things throughout the ay poker just becomes another activity instead of making up most of your day.
I opened the business because I couldn't imagine myself grinding full time for my income when I had a family with kids. I'll always play poker, but now it'll just be for recreation.
I also feel your playing tyke can wear on your outlook. I play LAG and its a lot of fun when I play. I feel most refs play TAG and that can get boring. I played TAG a lot and it wasn't my cup of tea. I feel most people underestimate how hard it is to get good hands and make good hands in poker sometimes you an sit for hours not getting a premium hand.
Anyway my point is you should fill your day with other activities and poker should just be a part of your life. I assume you have a bankroll which you gives many business or real estate options to invest into. Poker is a one man business. But to me the whole point of a business is to automate it so you can work on other ventures and enjoy life while it prints you money.
Thanks man.

I agree, I want poker to be part of my life, not all of it. Really its when poker starts to take over that I have these issues. Poker can start to take over without me even realizing it, so being diligent about balance is the key for me.
cushlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:31 PM   #1469
p566
Pooh-Bah
 
p566's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: too far from the casinos
Posts: 3,710
Re: cushlash in Vegas; TLDR

Cush, Ed Miller talks about want you were talking about a couple posts up as "every session is a learning experience". It was originally on his old web site and now in Part 3, step 7 of SSHE "Keep your head in the game". Instead of thinking about win/lose or even quality of play, he tries to think about of what am I learning. Sometimes that comes from mistakes and sometimes from just observing and discovering new things about specific people, types of people, types of play, etc.

I am not saying above is a problem you have. Just something your post reminded me of and I find it a good way to think about things and avoid tilt for myself.
p566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:55 PM   #1470
BOHICA
banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 366
Re: cushlash in Vegas; TLDR

Cush- I really admire your patience in this thread with all the replies from people that have never played full time in Vegas. I completely relate, I know it can suck the life out of you and 30 hours of live poker week after week is unlike any other job. Squid nailed it. DDT who has a full time job and averages 30 hours a week of poker is simply amazing and borderline unbelievable. Good luck, you will figure it out...
BOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:16 PM   #1471
WorldsBiggestNit
adept
 
WorldsBiggestNit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 903
Re: cushlash in Vegas; TLDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMcKay View Post
at cushlash but also everyone in this thread who is playing for a living. how do you guys rebound after a bad day where a bad day is not really running bad, that's just variance and I shrug, but playing bad, making avoidable mistakes, bluffing bad rivers vs stations, missing value bets etc?
It's a balancing act. You have to have a short-term memory and not dwell on stuff, but at the same time you have to learn from your mistakes and analyze them carefully with brutal honesty. I liken it to a great jump shooter in the NBA. You can't let the misses bug you or you're done for.

Helps a lot to have people to talk about that will tell you if you're screwing up and how to fix it. Luckily, Cushlash is really generous with advice so he is one of those people
WorldsBiggestNit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:47 PM   #1472
gus1112
adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 980
Re: cushlash in Vegas; TLDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldsBiggestNit View Post
It's a balancing act. You have to have a short-term memory and not dwell on stuff, but at the same time you have to learn from your mistakes and analyze them carefully with brutal honesty. I liken it to a great jump shooter in the NBA. You can't let the misses bug you or you're done for.

Helps a lot to have people to talk about that will tell you if you're screwing up and how to fix it. Luckily, Cushlash is really generous with advice so he is one of those people
Say I roll into casino and get stuck 3 buyins... I "end" the session on poker journal, get a table change, and start fresh w my 100 bb buyin and 100bb in pocket...
Then I focus on the process and the decisions I make... We beat variance with good decisions and volume. Downswings don't exist, nor do heaters... Only extended periods of good decisions or bad decisions

You're like a dingy in the ocea.... Err wait, I'm plagiarizing
gus1112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:17 AM   #1473
orensi
grinder
 
orensi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Silicon Valley Coal Mines
Posts: 414
Re: cushlash in Vegas; TLDR

I hope all the regs here have read Jesse May's "Shut Up and Deal".

By far the best book on poker I have read.
He does an amazing job of describing the life of a grinder. Of how much it takes out of you.
Insanely entertaining book.
orensi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:25 PM   #1474
cushlash
King of the Nits
 
cushlash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,331
Re: cushlash in Vegas; TLDR

So after some time off spent watching a lot of March Madness, reading, relaxing, etc, I've been back at the tables this week. Put in a full week (for me, 28 hrs) and despite it being a losing week in which I made a bunch of mistakes I feel pretty good about it. Something about losing/playing bad really motivates me to play whereas when I'm winning I don't care as much because it seems like I'm gonna win no matter what.

As expected when coming back from extended breaks, I was a little rusty. I got impatient in the first couple sessions and uncharacteristically bluffed off in some marginal-bad spots. Just tried to do too much coming out of the gate, likely a result of not having played much lately.

I find when I'm not playing very often the results of individual sessions seem to matter more from a psychological standpoint, whereas when putting in volume it feels less relevant since I'll be back tomorrow, and the next day, and the day after, etc. In reality the day-to-day results are never relevant but poker plays tricks on the brain to make it seem otherwise. The last few sessions have been better as I've reeled it back in, gotten back to basics, and have been sharper.

At any rate, I've got a bit of motivation back and am looking to put in solid volume before I leave for Europe in about 4.5 weeks. I've been writing down hands and analyzing on my own and with poker friends to keep me motivated. When I do this consistently I'm always more excited to play because I feel like I'm making progress on something rather than just grinding.

I'm also getting better at dealing with mistakes, by far my biggest mental game leak. I'm just really hard on myself and don't want to make any. Expecting this perfection is a huge hinderance because in poker (and probably most things), its just not realistic. Besides all the grey area surrounding what actually is a mistake, its just not reasonable to expect to not make any mistakes. Making mistakes is how we learn and get better.

I keep telling myself that mistakes are to be expected so don't be surprised when you make them, just try to learn from them whenever possible. When I tell myself its normal to make mistakes and its no big deal, I'm less worried about making them, which leads to better decision making and, surprise surprise, fewer mistakes.

Its nice to be back at it, but I'm definitely going to be emphasizing balance and working on my compartmentalizing skills as to avoid the burn out that ensued last month. That means taking days off before I'm totally spent and continuing to mix in the non-poker things I've been doing the last few weeks while I've not been playing at all.

Life's pretty good, and despite my grievances regarding playing full time, poker is a major reason for that. I'm still leaning towards going in a different direction post Europe/WSOP, but until then poker remains my vehicle, and the fact that I'm motivated to play again is really nice.

Last edited by cushlash; 04-09-2015 at 06:36 PM.
cushlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 03:43 AM   #1475
Konti
journeyman
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 255
Re: cushlash in Vegas; TLDR

nice to read. Are you currently playing Venetian 2/5 only?
Konti is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive