Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Las Vegas Lifestyle Discussion of all things Las Vegas. Ask questions about hotels/shows/etc., coordinate meetups with other 2+2ers and post Las Vegas trip reports.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 02:35 AM   #801
cushlash
King of the Nits
 
cushlash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,331
Re: cushlash in Vegas; TLDR

Hey guys, just finished up for the week/month today. Played 4 sessions since my last update, booking 2 small winners and 2 small losers for a small net loss overall. I don't have a lot of specifics because honestly I just haven't been in many major pots. Usually run bad stretches consist of coolers or suckouts, but I just keep losing 25 here and 50 there and before I know it I'm stuck again. Its pretty frustrating because I'm undoubtedly running bad, but I'm also definitely making mistakes. What tends to happen when I run into the tops of peoples ranges or people keep hitting one of 3 or 4 outs they need to continue for extended periods of time is it sort of warps my thought process because my mind is tricked by short term variance, which causes me to make mistakes.

Today started off pretty good and I made a couple really good plays resulting from paying attention and taking advantage of a couple bad player's tendencies and it really seemed like I was coming out of my funk. Unfortunately this was short lived and I would lose my profit back double. Lost a small pot on a failed double barrel where the guy had literally the one hand that could continue given the turn and also lost probably the biggest pot of my session when a spewey fish check/raised my AQ with air on a Q high board and spiked a K on the turn to beat me.

So even though its the middle of the month this was actually the end of May in terms of playing, since I'm gonna be home for the rest. Technically it was a losing month, but since I only got 50 hours in I'm putting an asterisk by that. And despite having extremely poor results my first 3 months, this is also my first losing cash game month in the year I've been out here. Again though, lol sample size.

On the bright side I've got a nice break coming up so I'm going to take advantage of that. As with my Christmas break, this one seems to be coming at just the right time. I was kind of debating spending some time studying while I'm home but really what I think I need to do is just not think about poker at all and come back fresh and ready to crush for the WSOP. I'm sure its like this for a lot of professions, but I find that even when I take breaks I still think about poker a lot. I'm on 2+2, listening to a podcast here and there, checking bravo for no good reason, and just generally thinking about poker related things. So for this vacation I'm going to attempt to turn the poker part of my brain completely off. No 2+2, no podcasts, no checking games on bravo, and no playing.

This is something that Jared Tendler talks about in his book, The Mental Game of Poker. We need to be able to put poker down when we aren't playing or studying so that our brain can relax and reset. If we don't, emotions from past sessions go unresolved and tilt and emotion accumulates, making it easier and easier to tilt the next session, particularly when on a bad stretch. This doesn't mean just forgetting about a session, but rather reviewing it, learning from mistakes, and making peace with it so you can move on to the next session without having any baggage carry over. I definitely feel like this has been part of my problem lately. I'll cut a session short because I'm not playing well and then play on a day that I was gonna take off because I feel like I need to play since I didn't play a long session the day before and as a result my brain never gets a break from poker. I keep mulling over crap from other sessions and it screws up my mindset for the next session, creating a snowball effect.

So I'm going to do my best to put poker completely down until I get back for the WSOP. I feel like this will best set me up to come back and be ready to play lots of hours and crush. It will definitely be tough as the excitement of the WSOP will make me want to check out games on bravo and just generally have me thinking about poker, but I think staying away from any poker media and being busy while I'm home should help keep me thinking of other things. Its very strange to have to try so hard to not think about poker when its something I've been doing seriously for a relatively small part of my life, but when so much of my time on day to day basis is spent on poker its hard to just stop thinking about it.

For when I get back, my WSOP plans are pretty much set. I'll be playing mostly cash, and my play will be heavily concentrated at 5/10nl. I still may play PLO or some other stuff occasionally but 5/10 will be my focus. Tournament stuff is still up in the air. Might play that 1500 early in the series that has the $1M guaranteed first place. Other than that I really just want to play the main event, which means I should probably make a thread in the marketplace soon since I'll most likely need to sell some action for it.

Anyways this post got long, thanks for reading.

Last edited by cushlash; 05-17-2013 at 02:51 AM.
cushlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:36 AM   #802
PuraVida96
old hand
 
PuraVida96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,663
Re: cushlash in Vegas; TLDR

Enjoy your time off. Hopefully I'll see you at the 5/10 tables in a couple weeks.
PuraVida96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:06 PM   #803
MSchu18
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MSchu18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 14,735
Re: cushlash in Vegas; TLDR

I think experience tells us that we need time off Cush... perhaps a book might back up that idea, but once you have been doing it long enough, you need to cut off and tune out.

"get out more often", but you didn't like that one... maybe had it come from a book you might have been more receptive.

Have a good time off, look forward to seeing you back here.
MSchu18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #804
amusedlol
 
amusedlol's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 3,463
Re: cushlash in Vegas; TLDR

Enjoy the time off, T.

See you for the first week of WSOP!
amusedlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:00 PM   #805
cushlash
King of the Nits
 
cushlash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,331
Re: cushlash in Vegas; TLDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu18 View Post
I think experience tells us that we need time off Cush... perhaps a book might back up that idea, but once you have been doing it long enough, you need to cut off and tune out.

"get out more often", but you didn't like that one... maybe had it come from a book you might have been more receptive.

Have a good time off, look forward to seeing you back here.
Yea I mean its definitely something I knew of before I read that book, Tendler just put into words what I knew was happening but couldn't really articulate. I didn't read the book and think "oh well thats happening to me, I guess the solution is to take time off". I was simply paraphrasing something from the book that relates to my situation, if for no other reason than to give credibility to my logic.

I know you always say "get out more often" and you think I ignore it because I laugh. It just seems funny to me is all, not sure why. In reality I have been doing other things much more frequently than when I first moved out (golfing, bball, gym, etc.) and it has definitely helped.

Its not like I just take ideas that come from books and ignore real life advice. Your suggesting that I do made me lol pretty hard because quite often its the exact opposite.
cushlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #806
cushlash
King of the Nits
 
cushlash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,331
Re: cushlash in Vegas; TLDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuraVida96 View Post
Enjoy your time off. Hopefully I'll see you at the 5/10 tables in a couple weeks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amusedlol View Post
Enjoy the time off, T.

See you for the first week of WSOP!
Sounds good guys, looking forward to it!
cushlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:17 PM   #807
MSchu18
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MSchu18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 14,735
Re: cushlash in Vegas; TLDR

ah... your golden Taylor, no one is trying to rain on your parade. we all want to see you succeed, and succeed very well.

It's like when you told that guy that picked up after loosing 300$... "$300, that's nothing!"

that was a lol moment for sure.

Was the other table better than our first table that day?
MSchu18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:45 PM   #808
cushlash
King of the Nits
 
cushlash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,331
Re: cushlash in Vegas; TLDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu18 View Post
ah... your golden Taylor, no one is trying to rain on your parade. we all want to see you succeed, and succeed very well.

It's like when you told that guy that picked up after loosing 300$... "$300, that's nothing!"

that was a lol moment for sure.

Was the other table better than our first table that day?
haha yea, what I said definitely came out wrong. I was trying to make him feel better but I just came off as a douche.

Not by much, I left not much after you did. Except for yesterday the games at the V this week have been pretty dead.
cushlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:34 AM   #809
DanceForMe
centurion
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 127
Re: cushlash in Vegas; TLDR

Cush,

Moved out here last week. If you want my quick advice and aside, avoid playing higher during the series cash wise. I'm going to be mulling around 2/5 and I think that's perfectly fine. Games get better at lower to medium limits during the series and from my experience 5/10+ gets a tad harder. Obviously this depends on table makeup, but you have to remember you have the best players in the world all centralized in one place.

2/5 attracts a lot of people that think they're better than they actually are / people with time to kill. I'd rather crush non-thinking players all day long.
DanceForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #810
MSchu18
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MSchu18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 14,735
Re: cushlash in Vegas; TLDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanceForMe View Post

2/5 attracts a lot of people that think they're better than they actually are / people with time to kill. I'd rather crush non-thinking players all day long.
there is a lot of truth in this statement.
MSchu18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #811
Under_the_Radar
adept
 
Under_the_Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: seat #7
Posts: 1,078
Re: cushlash in Vegas; TLDR

[QUOTE=DanceForMe;38557561]Cush,

Moved out here last week. If you want my quick advice and aside, avoid playing higher during the series cash wise. I'm going to be mulling around 2/5 and I think that's perfectly fine. Games get better at lower to medium limits during the series and from my experience 5/10+ gets a tad harder. Obviously this depends on table makeup, but you have to remember you have the best players in the world all centralized in one place.

2/5 attracts a lot of people that think they're better than they actually are / people with time to kill. I'd rather crush non-thinking players all day long.[/QUOTE]

^ This

No doubt there can be more opportunity for a local [cash] grinder during the series, but there are pitfalls also - some in the form of higher variance as you play against these tournament player w/ "tournament mentality".

And when the smoke clears in about 2 months and all of these people from all over the world go home the local small stakes cash grinder needs to honestly appraise his bottom line -how much money was made.
IMO, making and following a business plan designed and structured around how to make the most money during the series (how can I best capitalize on this opportunity) would be a wise choice.
Under_the_Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #812
squid face
ChatThreadPrez
 
squid face's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: cloudbase! Aint no time 4 gravity
Posts: 9,742
Re: cushlash in Vegas; TLDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanceForMe View Post
Cush,

Moved out here last week. If you want my quick advice and aside, avoid playing higher during the series cash wise. I'm going to be mulling around 2/5 and I think that's perfectly fine. Games get better at lower to medium limits during the series and from my experience 5/10+ gets a tad harder. Obviously this depends on table makeup, but you have to remember you have the best players in the world all centralized in one place.
2/5 attracts a lot of people that think they're better than they actually are / people with time to kill. I'd rather crush non-thinking players all day long.
dont want to be a tool my man but this is just plain silly. For a poker pro the wsop is akin to christmas time. Every poseur, wannabee and next durrrr is in town torching $
squid face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #813
RobFarha
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
RobFarha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: @robbyrobbb
Posts: 9,265
Play as high as humanly possible you nit
RobFarha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #814
cushlash
King of the Nits
 
cushlash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,331
Re: cushlash in Vegas; TLDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobFarha View Post
Play as high as humanly possible you nit
lol I'm gonna be playing all 5/10 this summer.

Can't really speak to the softness of games since I never played 5/10 last summer and it wasn't even really an option so I didn't pay attention to it. I hear what you guys are saying but from the info I've gathered there are plenty of soft spots at 5/10 during the series. I have a hard time believing that someone rolled for 5/10 would be making the best decision by playing 2/5.

/last 2+2 post until after vacation
cushlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:38 PM   #815
DanceForMe
centurion
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 127
Re: cushlash in Vegas; TLDR

Was just giving my advice.

I am rolled for 5/10 and play 2/5 so maybe I'm a bankroll nit. I've played both games live over 1000 hrs sample size (minimum for 5/10 was this size) so if that means anything.

Cheers

Also, you're right when you say there may be missed opportunities. I am however just trying to live a good and stable life.

Last edited by DanceForMe; 05-18-2013 at 11:48 PM.
DanceForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:11 AM   #816
RobFarha
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
RobFarha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: @robbyrobbb
Posts: 9,265
Re: cushlash in Vegas; TLDR

make your life as volatile and unstable as possible you nit
RobFarha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #817
MSchu18
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MSchu18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 14,735
Re: cushlash in Vegas; TLDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobFarha View Post
make your life as volatile and unstable as possible you nit
>10/20 then
MSchu18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:24 PM   #818
DanceForMe
centurion
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 127
Re: cushlash in Vegas; TLDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobFarha View Post
make your life as volatile and unstable as possible you nit
If I win a series event ok
DanceForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:27 PM   #819
serio562
Pooh-Bah
 
serio562's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,528
Finally had a chance to read entire thread and congratulations on your success thus far. Hopefully you can take it to another level this summer.

A few questions:

1. There was post a while back where the entire table wanted to straddle but you refused, you still feel the same way?

2. Thoughts on playing short handed versus full table? Preferences, affect on WR, etc.

3. Have you played at the Wynn, if so what are your thoughts? If not why the hell not?!

4. What is your response when people ask what you do for a living?

GL
serio562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:01 PM   #820
GaminDeBuci
adept
 
GaminDeBuci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: US
Posts: 924
Re: cushlash in Vegas; TLDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by serio562 View Post
Finally had a chance to read entire thread and congratulations on your success thus far. Hopefully you can take it to another level this summer.

A few questions:

1. There was post a while back where the entire table wanted to straddle but you refused, you still feel the same way?

2. Thoughts on playing short handed versus full table? Preferences, affect on WR, etc.

3. Have you played at the Wynn, if so what are your thoughts? If not why the hell not?!

4. What is your response when people ask what you do for a living?

GL
Good questions. I hope once the Cushlash gets back from vacation he will have time to answer them.
GaminDeBuci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:32 PM   #821
cushlash
King of the Nits
 
cushlash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,331
Re: cushlash in Vegas; TLDR

Hey guys, just got back from my cabin in the North Woods of Wisconsin. I'll be flying back to Vegas tomorrow. The time off was awesome, very relaxing and got to see some family and friends that I haven't in a while. That being said I'm very exited to get back to Vegas and get on the WSOP grind. The last few days I've been itching to get back to the pokers, luckily I was up north without internet so I didn't have access to 2+2 and stuff. Anyways just wanted to say whats up and gonna post a response to serio's questions in a minute.
cushlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #822
cushlash
King of the Nits
 
cushlash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,331
Re: cushlash in Vegas; TLDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by serio562 View Post
Finally had a chance to read entire thread and congratulations on your success thus far. Hopefully you can take it to another level this summer.

Thanks man, I'm hoping for the same.

A few questions:

1. There was post a while back where the entire table wanted to straddle but you refused, you still feel the same way?

iirc that was when I first moved up at a 5/10 game at the V that was playing extremely deep. In that case by straddling I would have basically been choosing to sit at a 5/10/20 game which I wasn't ready/rolled for, which is why I refused and ultimately simply got up and left because the game was too big. Generally though, in 99% of situations I just don't straddle. Its not gonna be profitable and unless literally the entire table is doing it, I'm not hurting my bottom line or the quality of the game by not straddling. The only time I will straddle is if the game is deep, I want it to play bigger (and am rolled for the higher stakes), and the entire table does it (and not just for 1 round). All these criteria just hardly ever align in such a way, in fact its only happened to me in a couple PLO games. There are always a few nits or rec players that don't want to and so me choosing not to straddle isn't a problem. Regs who think they need to straddle along with action players to keep them happy are wrong. You just need to play with them, and you can do that in a profitable way so there's no reason to stick in dead money utg.

2. Thoughts on playing short handed versus full table? Preferences, affect on WR, etc.

My sweet spot is 7-8 handed. I'd like 9 handed tables at the V but it probably won't happen. Affect on w/r depends on the lineup imo. With certain lineups I'd prefer shorthanded because I can iso/cbet/barrel them into a pulp because they play too loose/passive pre and too tight post flop. With crazy games I'd rather it be full ring because my edge comes from winning big pots from fish so I'll need to play tighter no matter how many players there are and in that situation having a full game works better for me. With an average lineup I'll default to my general preference which I stated above, 7-8 handed. That allows me to not have to play like a total nit like when 10 handed but also keeps my brain from "over heating" so to speak which causes some spewish mistakes that tend to happen if I play short and am involved in every pot.

3. Have you played at the Wynn, if so what are your thoughts? If not why the hell not?!

Nope, tried to during the wynn classic a while ago but it was too busy for me to get in a game. As for why, I guess I haven't had good enough reason. They always have fewer games than the V and I hear the regs there are much better. Also hear fish are worse but I'd rather play with a less polarized player pool if that makes sense.

4. What is your response when people ask what you do for a living?

lol I think about this a lot and I don't have a great response. It depends on the situation really. I'm assuming you mean at the table because in non-poker situations I just tell the truth.

At the table I'll never offer up that I'm a professional poker player and will not discuss it in detail but if I can tell its blatantly obvious to the person asking, meaning they usually will say something like "so you play for a living?" rather than "what do u do for a living", I'll just say yes or nod and end the conversation there or change topics. There's no reason to lie when they pretty much know so I just avoid the topic rather than make something up. Other than that I am still using the "I just graduated college and am taking a year off to figure out what I want to do" type response and will continue until I have something better to say or I get too old to say that. Tourists often think I'm also a tourist because I wear lots of Wisconsin gear so they just think I'm on vacation which works great.


GL
Responses above in blue, don't hesitate to ask if you have other ?'s or follow ups.
cushlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:32 PM   #823
GaminDeBuci
adept
 
GaminDeBuci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: US
Posts: 924
Re: cushlash in Vegas; TLDR

Welcome back. I really look forward to your postings. Frank, concise and informative.

This time next week I will be in LV. I might try to drop the V and say hello. I won't take much of your time because you are working and I am on vacation.
GaminDeBuci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:12 PM   #824
nit3.runn3r
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
nit3.runn3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: I Have Jungle Fever, Wisconsin
Posts: 8,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by cushlash View Post
Responses above in blue, don't hesitate to ask if you have other ?'s or follow ups.
Haven't been following/reading this thread for long so I obviously missed that you're from WI. But awesome, just awesome. Gives hope to me! Whenever I've been in Vegas I always rep the hometown teams as well.

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using 2+2 Forums
nit3.runn3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:54 AM   #825
Chinned
journeyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 218
Re: cushlash in Vegas; TLDR

Hey Cush,

What's the difference in skill between the V 2/5 and the bellagio 5/10 game?
Chinned is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive