Open Side Menu Go to the Top
Register
Best Way to Grease a Hotel Front Desk Worker? Best Way to Grease a Hotel Front Desk Worker?

05-14-2024 , 10:09 AM
I've been reading with interest in various threads how people have managed to get a room upgrade in Vegas by slipping the front desk worker a twenty or whatever. How the hell do you do this? I want to try, but I'm mortified at the thought of the front desk worker blinking back at me and saying something like, "Sir, this is *not* a Hollywood movie. We do not do that kind of thing around here."

For context, I'm the guy who loves the discount but is mortifyingly embarrassed to ask for it, to negotiate at the car dealer, or to actually present the coupon to the supermarket cashier. Can someone with my pathetic profile successfully grease a front desk worker?

Have you successfully secured a better room (or table or whatever else) with a little grease? How do *you* do it? Like, what are the actual things you do and say?

How much do you slide them?
How do you slide it to them?
What words do you say or signals do you give?
Have you ever been rejected? If so, what happened? How did you handle it?

Gonna be at the WSOP for eight days in June and want to see if I can pull this off. Please share your tips and any helpful/fun stories.

Thanks!
Best Way to Grease a Hotel Front Desk Worker? Quote
05-14-2024 , 10:36 AM
You give them money. People take money.

I'm sure if you search, then you'll find that people put a $20 in between their CC and ID, but I don't bother hiding it.

After the hostess at Beer Park said they had no tables during the NFL games I asked if she takes bribes. $40 later and they pulled the lol "reserved" sign from a table very close to the TVs. BTW, $40 was probably too much, but the table was for 7 people.
Best Way to Grease a Hotel Front Desk Worker? Quote
05-14-2024 , 10:38 AM
Most common approach is to put $20 between your credit card and ID, sticking out so it is visible, place it on the table, and after being polite and saying good afternoon, etc., asking if there are any complimentary room upgrades available. From what I have read, if the employee cannot hook you up, he or she will most often return the $20. YMMV and at higher-end properties if you get anything it all it is most likely going to be something like a higher floor or maybe a better view. You're very unlikely at, say, Bellagio, to get upgraded to a larger room. You could try $50, but I doubt it would change much.
Best Way to Grease a Hotel Front Desk Worker? Quote
05-14-2024 , 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeRebooted
Most common approach is to put $20 between your credit card and ID, sticking out so it is visible, place it on the table, and after being polite and saying good afternoon, etc., asking if there are any complimentary room upgrades available. From what I have read, if the employee cannot hook you up, he or she will most often return the $20. YMMV and at higher-end properties if you get anything it all it is most likely going to be something like a higher floor or maybe a better view. You're very unlikely at, say, Bellagio, to get upgraded to a larger room. You could try $50, but I doubt it would change much.
I agree about higher end properties. Tipping will generally get you a better floor/view.

I disagree that the employee will give the money back.
Best Way to Grease a Hotel Front Desk Worker? Quote
05-14-2024 , 10:49 AM
go to the cage... acquire a Cranberry, lay it on the counter in front of the clerk when you check in.
Best Way to Grease a Hotel Front Desk Worker? Quote
05-14-2024 , 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Stevens
You give them money. People take money.

I'm sure if you search, then you'll find that people put a $20 in between their CC and ID, but I don't bother hiding it.

After the hostess at Beer Park said they had no tables during the NFL games I asked if she takes bribes. $40 later and they pulled the lol "reserved" sign from a table very close to the TVs. BTW, $40 was probably too much, but the table was for 7 people.
Strangely enough, your strategy of just coming right out and asking if they take bribes is less potentially embarrassing to me. I laughed when I read it…but it’s sort of genius.
Best Way to Grease a Hotel Front Desk Worker? Quote
05-14-2024 , 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeRebooted
Most common approach is to put $20 between your credit card and ID, sticking out so it is visible, place it on the table, and after being polite and saying good afternoon, etc., asking if there are any complimentary room upgrades available. From what I have read, if the employee cannot hook you up, he or she will most often return the $20. YMMV and at higher-end properties if you get anything it all it is most likely going to be something like a higher floor or maybe a better view. You're very unlikely at, say, Bellagio, to get upgraded to a larger room. You could try $50, but I doubt it would change much.
Good feedback. Better view/higher floor probably not worth much to me.
Best Way to Grease a Hotel Front Desk Worker? Quote
05-14-2024 , 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackMo
Strangely enough, your strategy of just coming right out and asking if they take bribes is less potentially embarrassing to me. I laughed when I read itÖbut itís sort of genius.
I did this in December and the person at the front desk just laughed. You also might get things like late checkout, which depending on when you leave is a nice perk.
Best Way to Grease a Hotel Front Desk Worker? Quote
05-14-2024 , 11:35 PM
I always thought this wasnt really a thing. im gonna try it when I check in at the orleans! what do you guys think?
Best Way to Grease a Hotel Front Desk Worker? Quote
05-15-2024 , 01:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the pleasure
I always thought this wasnt really a thing. im gonna try it when I check in at the orleans! what do you guys think?
At the Orleans? They have either ordinary rooms or big suites that are really expensive. Good luck.
Best Way to Grease a Hotel Front Desk Worker? Quote
05-15-2024 , 04:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pig4bill
At the Orleans? They have either ordinary rooms or big suites that are really expensive. Good luck.
oh okay nevermind then haha

what types of upgrades are people doing this for? i didn't assume its like a luxury suite but maybe a corner room since sometimes those are bigger?
Best Way to Grease a Hotel Front Desk Worker? Quote
05-15-2024 , 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pig4bill
At the Orleans? They have either ordinary rooms or big suites that are really expensive. Good luck.
I don't have any experience with Orleans, but I think that is the type of place that tipping will work. I doubt that the suites sell out and I think the front desk will appreciate the money.

I use tipping for early check in, late checkout, and a better floor.YMMV.
Best Way to Grease a Hotel Front Desk Worker? Quote
05-15-2024 , 08:17 AM
As someone who frequently stays at Aria/Bellagio/Park MGM:

Just donít. I used to do it during my first couple of trips and they would always hand it back. Last time at Bellagio a couple of years ago the lady explained that some front desk employees do take a tip but it goes against their policy and if they get caught they will be fired.

Out of all the times Iíve asked for a free upgrade, unless completely full, I would say it has worked 10 out of 10 times. Just ask nicely at checkin.

Also a pro tip:

If you arrive or change hotels during weekdays go super early, around 6-7-8 am. They can usually check you in and get you your room AND higher chance for an upgrade. You donít have to stand in line for hours at/after 3 pm. Only works on weekdays tho.
Best Way to Grease a Hotel Front Desk Worker? Quote
05-15-2024 , 08:21 AM
“I always appreciate how well you treat me here” while handing a $20 with my ID/card is my go-to. I’m probably 50/50 with it. I have found that it tends to work better with men than women, but learned the hard way to be on the lookout for trainees at the Vdara last year.
Best Way to Grease a Hotel Front Desk Worker? Quote
05-15-2024 , 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckPls
As someone who frequently stays at Aria/Bellagio/Park MGM:

Just don’t. I used to do it during my first couple of trips and they would always hand it back. Last time at Bellagio a couple of years ago the lady explained that some front desk employees do take a tip but it goes against their policy and if they get caught they will be fired.

Out of all the times I’ve asked for a free upgrade, unless completely full, I would say it has worked 10 out of 10 times. Just ask nicely at checkin.

Also a pro tip:

If you arrive or change hotels during weekdays go super early, around 6-7-8 am. They can usually check you in and get you your room AND higher chance for an upgrade. You don’t have to stand in line for hours at/after 3 pm. Only works on weekdays tho.
Imo, this is because of status, not because you asked nicely.

Cosmo puts the tip on the desk for display, but they always keep it.

Also, it doesn't need to be on the weekdays for early check-in. I do this multiple times a year.

EDIT: You are saying not to do it because they give it back. If that is actually true, then what is the downside?

Last edited by Randall Stevens; 05-15-2024 at 09:34 AM.
Best Way to Grease a Hotel Front Desk Worker? Quote
05-15-2024 , 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Stevens
Imo, this is because of status, not because you asked nicely.

Cosmo puts the tip on the desk for display, but they always keep it.

Also, it doesn't need to be on the weekdays for early check-in. I do this multiple times a year.

EDIT: You are saying not to do it because they give it back. If that is actually true, then what is the downside?
Might have been true last year when I was Platinum, but this year since January I am back to Pearl which is the lowest MLife tier and I still get regular upgrades.

No downside, just saying it is not needed.
Best Way to Grease a Hotel Front Desk Worker? Quote
05-15-2024 , 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckPls
No downside, just saying it is not needed.
So when the hostess says they have no seats, then it's not needed?

This doesn't even have to be Vegas, but pretty much anywhere in the US.
Best Way to Grease a Hotel Front Desk Worker? Quote
05-15-2024 , 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckPls
As someone who frequently stays at Aria/Bellagio/Park MGM:

Just don’t. I used to do it during my first couple of trips and they would always hand it back. Last time at Bellagio a couple of years ago the lady explained that some front desk employees do take a tip but it goes against their policy and if they get caught they will be fired.

Out of all the times I’ve asked for a free upgrade, unless completely full, I would say it has worked 10 out of 10 times. Just ask nicely at checkin.

Also a pro tip:

If you arrive or change hotels during weekdays go super early, around 6-7-8 am. They can usually check you in and get you your room AND higher chance for an upgrade. You don’t have to stand in line for hours at/after 3 pm. Only works on weekdays tho.
I usually tip $20 whenever I check in to a hotel stay in Vegas. The exceptions are if I’m only staying 1 or 2 days, or if I’m staying at an MGM property. In my experience, MGM has a policy against front desk clerks accepting tips that is much more rigorously enforced than any other Vegas hotel company.

I’m usually offered some sort of upgrade to my room, though it’s often pretty modest, and I don’t really know if I could have gotten the same upgrade for free. Thought if the clerk can’t offer any sort of upgrade, they will usually return the tip.
Best Way to Grease a Hotel Front Desk Worker? Quote
05-15-2024 , 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Stevens
Imo, this is because of status, not because you asked nicely.

Cosmo puts the tip on the desk for display, but they always keep it.

Also, it doesn't need to be on the weekdays for early check-in. I do this multiple times a year.

EDIT: You are saying not to do it because they give it back. If that is actually true, then what is the downside?
i often check in early but you have a better chance during the week just because there are more available rooms.
Best Way to Grease a Hotel Front Desk Worker? Quote
05-15-2024 , 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borg23
i often check in early but you have a better chance during the week just because there are more available rooms.
Obviously. Saying it only happens on the weekdays is incorrect.

Last December I tipped at 8:30am on a Saturday, without giving my players card, and the person at the front desk chucked and called up to have a room cleaned. He also asked if I wanted a late checkout (which I declined).
Best Way to Grease a Hotel Front Desk Worker? Quote
05-15-2024 , 11:30 AM
I don't stay at MGM properties in Vegas, and them refusing a tip may be correct. I have done it at the Borgata, but it was a while ago.

Still, Caesars 100% takes tips... and Muck has stayed there relatively recently.

"Just don't" is terrible advice. Early check-in, late check-out, waiving resort fees are all a possibility even if you don't get a room upgrade.
Best Way to Grease a Hotel Front Desk Worker? Quote
05-15-2024 , 11:46 AM
I’ve never paid resort fees. Before I check out I find the host desk at any property, ask them if there’s anything they can do with my charges based on play.

If I didnt already have free rooms without resort fees, those come off and usually food and bev, only responsible for any tips I may have added to the room bill.

Basic slot and pit play. Nothing crazy.
Can only speak for Venetian and Sahara.
Best Way to Grease a Hotel Front Desk Worker? Quote
05-15-2024 , 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketorocks
Iíve never paid resort fees. Before I check out I find the host desk at any property, ask them if thereís anything they can do with my charges based on play.
Congrats and great advice..... but it doesn't give you anything at check-in or during your stay.
Best Way to Grease a Hotel Front Desk Worker? Quote
05-15-2024 , 12:08 PM
Fair point, was just commenting on the mention of resort fee waiving.

I’ve successfully done a $20 check in tip for better view, nothing more.
Best Way to Grease a Hotel Front Desk Worker? Quote
05-15-2024 , 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketorocks
Iíve never paid resort fees. Before I check out I find the host desk at any property, ask them if thereís anything they can do with my charges based on play.

If I didnt already have free rooms without resort fees, those come off and usually food and bev, only responsible for any tips I may have added to the room bill.

Basic slot and pit play. Nothing crazy.
Can only speak for Venetian and Sahara.
Doesn't sound "basic" if you're getting free rooms at Venetian. Sounds like you're a whale.
Best Way to Grease a Hotel Front Desk Worker? Quote

      
m