Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Las Vegas Lifestyle Discussion of all things Las Vegas. Ask questions about hotels/shows/etc., coordinate meetups with other 2+2ers and post Las Vegas trip reports.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2017, 12:21 PM   #1
IHaveThreePair
grinder
 
IHaveThreePair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: SWUK
Posts: 574
Best Non-Gambling, Non-Vegas things to do in Vegas

My boss is out to Vegas for a week in September for a trade show - he hates gambling, and pretty much hates everything about Vegas.

What are some non-Vegas type things he can do? He's been to Red Rock Canyon - but not much else.

Recommendations?
IHaveThreePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:32 PM   #2
cantrunworse
centurion
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 189
Re: Best Non-Gambling, Non-Vegas things to do in Vegas

weed
cantrunworse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:39 PM   #3
AzOther1
centurion
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Phoenix, Az, home of the hits.
Posts: 106
Re: Best Non-Gambling, Non-Vegas things to do in Vegas

Machine guns
Pinball museum
Mob museum
Strip clubs
AzOther1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:49 PM   #4
IHaveThreePair
grinder
 
IHaveThreePair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: SWUK
Posts: 574
Re: Best Non-Gambling, Non-Vegas things to do in Vegas

Above suggestions are certainly -EV for my promotion hopes.
IHaveThreePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:56 PM   #5
Lurshy
old hand
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: State of Confusion
Posts: 1,204
Re: Best Non-Gambling, Non-Vegas things to do in Vegas

Top golf
Drive exotic cars
The giant ferros wheel thing..

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk
Lurshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:57 PM   #6
Deal!
journeyman
 
Deal!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 267
Re: Best Non-Gambling, Non-Vegas things to do in Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveThreePair View Post
Above suggestions are certainly -EV for my promotion hopes.
I'm going to Disney Land. I hate talking animals, cartoons, amusement park rides, overpriced unhealthy food, and large crowds. What should I do while there?

He should remove the stick from his bunghole and have some fun.
Deal! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 01:50 PM   #7
madlex
Custom User Title
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7,113
Re: Best Non-Gambling, Non-Vegas things to do in Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deal! View Post
He should remove the stick from his bunghole and have some fun.
People have very different opinions what "having fun" means.

I know people who hate Vegas and do the following when they have to go there for a conventions:

- Get up around 3, do a couple of hours of office work
- Go to the gym and have breakfast
- Spend the day at the convention
- Have somebody else pay for overpriced dinner
- Go to bed at 9

That way they don't have to do too much Vegas stuff and don't fall behind on their regular things which means they have more time for things they enjoy when they get back home.

That schedule works especially well for people from ET/CT because they don't even have to bother about the 2-3 hours of time change. They just get up around the same time they would get up at home.
madlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:09 PM   #8
IHaveThreePair
grinder
 
IHaveThreePair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: SWUK
Posts: 574
Re: Best Non-Gambling, Non-Vegas things to do in Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deal! View Post
I'm going to Disney Land. I hate talking animals, cartoons, amusement park rides, overpriced unhealthy food, and large crowds. What should I do while there?

He should remove the stick from his bunghole and have some fun.


I highly doubt you're being made to go to Disneyland for work...
IHaveThreePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:09 PM   #9
e_holle
veteran
 
e_holle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Still bitter about '94
Posts: 2,208
Re: Best Non-Gambling, Non-Vegas things to do in Vegas

There are any number of shows (of various types), which are inherently fun, not just fun because it's Vegas, Baby.

Your boss probably isn't a pool guy. We took our kids to Vegas a few years back; they had a great time without being too Vegas-y. It all depends on what your boss does like. Golf? Nature? Motorcycles? Shopping?

Last edited by e_holle; 08-25-2017 at 02:15 PM.
e_holle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 04:04 PM   #10
IHaveThreePair
grinder
 
IHaveThreePair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: SWUK
Posts: 574
Re: Best Non-Gambling, Non-Vegas things to do in Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_holle View Post
There are any number of shows (of various types), which are inherently fun, not just fun because it's Vegas, Baby.

Your boss probably isn't a pool guy. We took our kids to Vegas a few years back; they had a great time without being too Vegas-y. It all depends on what your boss does like. Golf? Nature? Motorcycles? Shopping?


Yeah I've said about shows. What would you recommend?

Of those, nature is probably best. He goes on hiking holidays...
IHaveThreePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:01 PM   #11
HUMBLE.
grinder
 
HUMBLE.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: on my grind, cousin.
Posts: 491
Re: Best Non-Gambling, Non-Vegas things to do in Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by madlex View Post
People have very different opinions what "having fun" means.

I know people who hate Vegas and do the following when they have to go there for a conventions:

- Get up around 3, do a couple of hours of office work
- Go to the gym and have breakfast
- Spend the day at the convention
- Have somebody else pay for overpriced dinner
- Go to bed at 9

That way they don't have to do too much Vegas stuff and don't fall behind on their regular things which means they have more time for things they enjoy when they get back home.

That schedule works especially well for people from ET/CT because they don't even have to bother about the 2-3 hours of time change. They just get up around the same time they would get up at home.
this is too reasonable a reply.
HUMBLE. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:22 PM   #12
Gzesh
adept
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UTG
Posts: 1,194
Re: Best Non-Gambling, Non-Vegas things to do in Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveThreePair View Post
My boss is out to Vegas for a week in September for a trade show - he hates gambling, and pretty much hates everything about Vegas.

What are some non-Vegas type things he can do? He's been to Red Rock Canyon - but not much else.

Recommendations?
No one here should or does care about your boss having a good time.

He hates everything about Vegas ? Too bad.

Recommendation: Do your business, get drunk in your hotel bar like you can anywhere, and then get out of town.
Gzesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:18 PM   #13
IAMthepokerhack
grinder
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 585
Re: Best Non-Gambling, Non-Vegas things to do in Vegas

Here ya go man-there are lots of great outdoor things to do around vegas....

https://escapeadventures.com/destination/nevada/

These guys aren't everything-but I'm not going to do your work for you-just look for guided tours for hiking, biking(mountain or road), or whatever it is that floats the guys boat
IAMthepokerhack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:58 PM   #14
callipygian
slowrolled by tpiranha!
 
callipygian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: but I don't know which
Posts: 18,297
Re: Best Non-Gambling, Non-Vegas things to do in Vegas

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the incredible dining options, especially if your company is up for paying for it.

Okay so Robouchon is probably a weeeee bit out of a typical per diem but Picasso is fine, Aureole is fine, etc.
callipygian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:46 PM   #15
e_holle
veteran
 
e_holle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Still bitter about '94
Posts: 2,208
Re: Best Non-Gambling, Non-Vegas things to do in Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by callipygian View Post
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the incredible dining options, especially if your company is up for paying for it.

Okay so Robouchon is probably a weeeee bit out of a typical per diem but Picasso is fine, Aureole is fine, etc.
I decided not to suggest the boss spend his down time eating (said the fat guy).

Seriously, though, Vegas has been working on developing a reputation for dining quality and options.
e_holle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 04:40 PM   #16
PokerHero77
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 90
Re: Best Non-Gambling, Non-Vegas things to do in Vegas

Dig This Las Vegas. More for kids but adults can enjoy it as well.
PokerHero77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:28 PM   #17
AtomicLiquors
journeyman
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 249
Re: Best Non-Gambling, Non-Vegas things to do in Vegas

Flightlinez out in Bootleg Canyon
AtomicLiquors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 11:41 PM   #18
morgancapecod
newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 41
Re: Best Non-Gambling, Non-Vegas things to do in Vegas

Check out kayaking on the Colorado River. Willow Beach is about an hour from Vegas. There are several outfitters that will pick up on the strip. It's all slow moving flat water, good for beginners.

Full and half day guided tours. Hot springs, cliff diving, Emerald Cave, beautiful clear water.

Full disclosure: I am a guide on the river
morgancapecod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:15 AM   #19
MSchu18
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MSchu18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 13,227
Re: Best Non-Gambling, Non-Vegas things to do in Vegas

Non gambling?
Poker
MSchu18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 02:30 PM   #20
foatie
old hand
 
foatie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vegas
Posts: 1,354
Re: Best Non-Gambling, Non-Vegas things to do in Vegas

Everyone I know who "hates everything about Vegas" has either lost a ton of money in this town, or was trickrolled by a backpage escort at some point.

There's a really nice Library a few blocks up on (W) Sahara & Fort Apache (S). Seriously.
foatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:47 PM   #21
StoneAge
centurion
 
StoneAge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Here and Now
Posts: 177
Re: Best Non-Gambling, Non-Vegas things to do in Vegas

If he's into the outdoors there are a number of groups on the meetup website for hiking, canyoneering, climbing, biking, motorcycling, birding, water sports, etc.

The VegasHikers group for example has about 17,000 members - a lot probably joined just for while they are visiting Vegas but the group is very active - usually at least one hike every day.

This gives him an opportunity to go with a group to "cool" spots that the locals know about and be social with folks who are into things he is interested in.

The outdoor stuff is probably most popular but there are other groups into things like photography, business/entrepreneur, or just social eating out/drinking as well.
StoneAge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:13 PM   #22
LEMONZEST
veteran
 
LEMONZEST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,656
Re: Best Non-Gambling, Non-Vegas things to do in Vegas

Some really fun restaurant options. Fogo de Ch„o is offstrip and a Brazillian barbecue which is really delicious and a unique experience.

Stay at a hotel with an adult chill pool vibe. I really enjoyed the Bellagio poolside with the wife.

I can understand not everyone digs gambling but if you dislike the pool and good food then you might just hate life.

OTOH madlex had some very practical ideas for people who need to get a lot of work done.

I think most people who don't like Vegas just don't know where to go and get overwhelmed by the place. I could literally spend a week just going to the pool and eating out - so fun.
LEMONZEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:27 PM   #23
madlex
Custom User Title
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7,113
Re: Best Non-Gambling, Non-Vegas things to do in Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEMONZEST View Post
Fogo de Ch„o is offstrip and a Brazillian barbecue which is really delicious and a unique experience.
That's true, but I doubt there's a single business person in the US who hasn't been to Fogo de Chao at least once

There are a couple cities where Fogo de Chao and Ruth Chris Steakhouse are the prime "fine dining" destions.
madlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 03:17 PM   #24
LEMONZEST
veteran
 
LEMONZEST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,656
Re: Best Non-Gambling, Non-Vegas things to do in Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by madlex View Post
That's true, but I doubt there's a single business person in the US who hasn't been to Fogo de Chao at least once

There are a couple cities where Fogo de Chao and Ruth Chris Steakhouse are the prime "fine dining" destions.
Word. I am from Canada so I thought it was something special. You guys are just spoiled with so many options.

Another place you gotta hit is Wicked Spoon in the Cosmo.
LEMONZEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 03:49 AM   #25
HUMBLE.
grinder
 
HUMBLE.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: on my grind, cousin.
Posts: 491
Re: Best Non-Gambling, Non-Vegas things to do in Vegas

drink and ride the monorail.
HUMBLE. is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online