Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Las Vegas Lifestyle Discussion of all things Las Vegas. Ask questions about hotels/shows/etc., coordinate meetups with other 2+2ers and post Las Vegas trip reports.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2017, 03:36 PM   #176
Zimmer4141
Wet
 
Zimmer4141's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 26,268
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenatorKevin View Post
NBC News is saying he earned nearly 5 million dollars in 2015 and the majority of that was through gambling.

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/la...m_npd_nn_tw_ma

Would be interesting to see that win / loss statement, but it's unlikely that'll ever see the light of day.
I'm assuming when they say this, they mean that the sum of his W-2's in 2015 was around $5 Million. When you're playing $100/hand VP I can definitely see that as possible without being up big if you're playing as much as he did.
Zimmer4141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:37 PM   #177
El Diablo
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
El Diablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 65,568
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

Kevin,

Yes, very unclear what "earned" means there. "But how much did he lose?" feels like a very reasonable question here.
El Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:43 PM   #178
SenatorKevin
veteran
 
SenatorKevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Santa Monica
Posts: 2,552
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diablo View Post
Kevin,

Yes, very unclear what "earned" means there. "But how much did he lose?" feels like a very reasonable question here.
Good point. Article should clarify where on his tax forms that number was pulled from.
SenatorKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:58 PM   #179
Dream Crusher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Dream Crusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Dallas
Posts: 7,034
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig4bill View Post
Nothing. What good would that have done in this case?
What good would it have done to improve security on the strip? For 1, he wouldn't have been able to get 20+ weapons into his room.

I heard Wynn was searching bags and wanding everyone. Not sure if they are still doing that but they were earlier in the week for sure.
Dream Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 04:36 PM   #180
offTopic
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
offTopic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: I guarantee it.
Posts: 17,236
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

Where and when, though? At check-in? On more than one occasion, I've checked in carrying a duffel, taken it to the room, gone back to the parking garage and wheeled in a hard-shell golf travel case. Are they going to wand people coming in from the parking garage and going straight to their rooms?
offTopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 05:47 PM   #181
Palo
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Palo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 9,168
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

A sniffer dog stationed at the hotel elevators to check bags for firearms seems like an obvious decision.
Palo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:04 PM   #182
chillrob
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
chillrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: under a dark cloud
Posts: 9,986
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palo View Post
A sniffer dog stationed at the hotel elevators to check bags for firearms seems like an obvious decision.
This seems like it be would be awfully uninviting for tourists.

Never heard of dogs that sniff out firearms.
chillrob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:10 PM   #183
Palo
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Palo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 9,168
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palo View Post
A sniffer dog stationed at the hotel elevators to check bags for firearms seems like an obvious decision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillrob View Post
This seems like it be would be awfully uninviting for tourists.

Never heard of dogs that sniff out firearms.
They exist and have been growing in popularity in recent years with police departments.
Palo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:17 PM   #184
Newday
grinder
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 574
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

The vehicle model found in parking lot with 90 lbs of explosives if anyone curious

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chrys...t-test-review/


They mentioned vehicle here

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/06/us/veg...ses/index.html
Newday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:33 PM   #185
Newday
grinder
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 574
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

Casinos still offering heaux?

http://radaronline.com/photos/stephe...d-prostitutes/
Newday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:38 PM   #186
chillrob
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
chillrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: under a dark cloud
Posts: 9,986
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

Is it even illegal to bring weapons into a casino? I assumed it was fine in Las Vegas.
chillrob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:00 PM   #187
Spike McAwesome
adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 768
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillrob View Post
Is it even illegal to bring weapons into a casino? I assumed it was fine in Las Vegas.
It's definitely frowned upon. If someone open-carries into a casino, security will be all over them and ask them to lock the weapon up.
Spike McAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:05 PM   #188
SenatorKevin
veteran
 
SenatorKevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Santa Monica
Posts: 2,552
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

Most casinos already have dogs that patrol the floor. Given how they've rolled by the Bellagio Poker room I can assure you they are not drug sniffing dogs.
SenatorKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:44 PM   #189
pig4bill
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 26,239
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

A couple casinos are posted (no firearms) but most of them are not. Assume a number of people are carrying concealed weapons at any given time. Nevada has reciprocity of carry permits with a number of states, and a Nevada non-resident permit is one of the easiest to get.
pig4bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:27 PM   #190
Steve00007
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,289
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillrob View Post
Is it even illegal to bring weapons into a casino? I assumed it was fine in Las Vegas.
I wouldn't be surprised if they give someone a permanent ban for that. But only an idiot would show it off.
Steve00007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:02 AM   #191
mrducks
veteran
 
mrducks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 3,442
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offTopic View Post
Where and when, though? At check-in? On more than one occasion, I've checked in carrying a duffel, taken it to the room, gone back to the parking garage and wheeled in a hard-shell golf travel case. Are they going to wand people coming in from the parking garage and going straight to their rooms?
Wand/check people with luggage doing to the room elevators. That seems like the most logical spot as it usually reduces the security checkpoints to a minimum number making it more efficient and financially logical to staff and pay for equipment.

This doesn't prevent someone from walking in with a gun and doing bad stuff on the casino floor but it solves a repeat of what happened this past weekend.

In addition to the damage that has been done, the door has been opened to lots of copy cats who will use this new tactic to do damage and create problems in the world.
mrducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:02 AM   #192
pig4bill
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 26,239
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve00007 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they give someone a permanent ban for that. But only an idiot would show it off.
That would be ridiculous. It's not illegal if the person has a permit and there's no signage prohibiting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrducks View Post
Wand/check people with luggage doing to the room elevators. That seems like the most logical spot as it usually reduces the security checkpoints to a minimum number making it more efficient and financially logical to staff and pay for equipment.

This doesn't prevent someone from walking in with a gun and doing bad stuff on the casino floor but it solves a repeat of what happened this past weekend.

In addition to the damage that has been done, the door has been opened to lots of copy cats who will use this new tactic to do damage and create problems in the world.
So this event happened once in forever and now every hotel with more than ten stories is going to spend this money and screen everyone? Sorry miss, have to wand your bag - BEEP, I have to inspect it, oh it's just a hair dryer. Sorry sir, have to wand your bag - BEEP, I have to inspect it, oh it's just a laptop. Meanwhile, ten other people are trying to get on the elevator.

Have you been in a Vegas hotel?

IF they do any kind of screening, and that's a big IF, it lasts a year at most.
pig4bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:19 AM   #193
FRGCardinal
veteran
 
FRGCardinal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: BOO YA, BABY! TWO PAIR!
Posts: 2,020
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

Bill is correct. It's too great a hassle and expense for private businesses to take on.
FRGCardinal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 11:12 AM   #194
dcmidnight
grinder
 
dcmidnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 655
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

I just cant imagine any sort of these security checks happening. You're talking about a collection of the largest hotels *in the world* - by number of rooms.

I've stayed at Bellagio the last few trips and there are people streaming through to the elevators at all hours of the day. The security guy does a good job of checking keys as best he can but you're talking about a constant flow of people to a tower with thousands of rooms. There are no circumstances under which I could see that working.

You'ld eventually run into the same problem that airports have. No matter where you create that "hard perimeter" - you're going to create potential bottlenecks/crowds and essentially be creating a highly inviting target in itself.

It was amazing watching some of the initial reports, you would think that some of the reporters had never been to a hotel and certainly never to a Vegas hotel. When I went on my last golf trip we had 8 of us with large hard shell travel golf bags - lord knows how much non golf "stuff" you could pack in there if you werent carrying golf clubs in there.
dcmidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:56 PM   #195
pig4bill
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 26,239
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmidnight View Post
It was amazing watching some of the initial reports, you would think that some of the reporters had never been to a hotel and certainly never to a Vegas hotel. When I went on my last golf trip we had 8 of us with large hard shell travel golf bags - lord knows how much non golf "stuff" you could pack in there if you werent carrying golf clubs in there.
That's a problem with talking heads. Never been in a Vegas hotel, never touched a gun. Yet they blather on, thinking they are experts, about how to solve our problems.
pig4bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:47 PM   #196
michelle227
adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 943
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig4bill View Post
That's a problem with talking heads. Never been in a Vegas hotel, never touched a gun. Yet they blather on, thinking they are experts, about how to solve our problems.

They are the same ones that blather on about airport security yet have NO clue how easy it is to access the soft underbelly, to say nothing of general aviation. Even when I flew through a GA operation at KAUS, I simply went into the office, grabbed the keys and whatnot, walked out a door, did my walk-around, made my basic radio call and was given directions to taxi to the active. None of the TSA crap to contend with.

And it becomes even easier if you fly through a podunk, non-towered field...you still do a cursory radio call before taxiing but don't expect anyone to answer in most cases.

And yes, general aviation includes people that have their own twins and in some cases, even the small jets. In other words, far more than enough plane to do serious damage if so inclined...
michelle227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:06 PM   #197
Newday
grinder
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 574
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

Interview with Adam Lefevre, Aussie friend.

Newday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 05:51 AM   #198
Palo
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Palo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 9,168
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillrob View Post
Is it even illegal to bring weapons into a casino? I assumed it was fine in Las Vegas.
It is not illegal. It is private property though and casinos can ban you permanently for any or no reason at all. If you open carry into a casino you'd better be an on duty law enforcement officer or you're eating an instant and permanent ban for being an idiot. Concealed carry and they may ban you if it's discovered or merely escort you off and firmly ask that you not bring weapons to the casino depending on their mood and how valuable your business is. If it's in luggage they can secure it for you and return the weapons when you leave.
Palo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:15 AM   #199
Steve00007
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,289
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig4bill View Post
That would be ridiculous. It's not illegal if the person has a permit and there's no signage prohibiting it.
It makes some people nervous and I doubt security would be thrilled about the idea of having armed people in the casino that aren't police, especially if they might be drinking.

They ban people for a lot of minor stuff that is legal if they think it's in the best interest of the casino.
Steve00007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:36 AM   #200
callipygian
slowrolled by tpiranha!
 
callipygian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: but I don't know which
Posts: 18,299
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve00007 View Post
It makes some people nervous and I doubt security would be thrilled about the idea of having armed people in the casino that aren't police, especially if they might be drinking.
Everyone talks about how stupid their poker opponents are, how their opponents make rash, impulsive decisions.

You really think they should have guns?
callipygian is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online