Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Las Vegas Lifestyle Discussion of all things Las Vegas. Ask questions about hotels/shows/etc., coordinate meetups with other 2+2ers and post Las Vegas trip reports.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2017, 06:25 PM   #101
WaKtickets
grinder
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 665
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

We can't go 25 posts without people making this political.

What an awful situation for anyone involved!
WaKtickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:36 PM   #102
callipygian
slowrolled by tpiranha!
 
callipygian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: but I don't know which
Posts: 18,480
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnutt View Post
I don't think you could ever find a more relevant topic. This is a message board that was founded purely for poker purposes. You also have a supposed poker player that committed the worse mass-murder in US history. Of course there is going to be a lot more interest than normal.
Fine. Other than checking whether people are okay, is there anything that's time-sensitive? Can we wait a month - or even a week - before calling for banning guns or rushing out to buy guns or digging into his life as a gambler or calling for banning white men from entering the country or whatever axes people have to grind?

Go out and donate blood if you're concerned but don't know where to start. And we'll ban guns, or mandate everyone carries a gun, or gawk at surveillance video of the shooter ... some other ****ing time.
callipygian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:49 PM   #103
golfnutt
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,279
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by callipygian View Post
Fine. Other than checking whether people are okay, is there anything that's time-sensitive? Can we wait a month - or even a week - before calling for banning guns or rushing out to buy guns or digging into his life as a gambler or calling for banning white men from entering the country or whatever axes people have to grind?

Go out and donate blood if you're concerned but don't know where to start. And we'll ban guns, or mandate everyone carries a gun, or gawk at surveillance video of the shooter ... some other ****ing time.
The most time-sensitive matter is that there the carnage is over.

There is a lot of interest in him, obviously. And this is highly unusual. Outlier of an outlier. Something like 4 standard deviations above the age of the usual mass-murderer. Pilot, high-stakes gambler, real-estate investor. Plus, this happening on the 32nd floor of a place the entire world knows (vs. the Pulse Nightclub for example) where we have the false sense of security that most of us will never be.

We have no idea why he did it (as of now) so it is natural to try to figure it out. And we as poker players/gamblers may perhaps have a little more insight. At least interest.
golfnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:15 PM   #104
watbri2010
centurion
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: near Sacramento
Posts: 172
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

Such a tragedy
watbri2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:27 PM   #105
callipygian
slowrolled by tpiranha!
 
callipygian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: but I don't know which
Posts: 18,480
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

To be clear, I'm just as interested as anyone. But the frenzy of attention is not only not helpful, but actually detrimental to the investigation.

ISIS claimed responsibility, and in the wild, chaotic aftermath, their claim was given full validity and repeated by news outlets.

Democrats and Republicans are lining up to score screen time because you can't spell tragedy without rage. We're taking away your guns! They're taking our guns! Yeeeeeaaaargh!!!

I bet there's at least a few people in the ICU right now fighting for their lives. The death toll will creep up over the next few days as people recover or don't.

Sure, there's no more active shooting, but we really don't need Internet Detectives harassing Facebook friends or family, or clogging up the "airwaves" with random - and often poorly-vetted - revelations.
callipygian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:34 PM   #106
27offsuit
actions have consequences!
 
27offsuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sweet ass inya face
Posts: 27,319
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnMul82 View Post
Prayers to victims.

2+2 Experts on weapons/rate of fire/ammo ITT ...
Prayers ITT too...
27offsuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:37 PM   #107
Bighurt52235
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Bighurt52235's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: All your chip are belong to me
Posts: 12,881
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27offsuit View Post
Prayers ITT too...
A surprisingly high number
Bighurt52235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:51 PM   #108
golfnutt
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,279
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by callipygian View Post
To be clear, I'm just as interested as anyone. But the frenzy of attention is not only not helpful, but actually detrimental to the investigation.
Who here is investigating? I also think we have more insight than most people when it comes to something gambling related than the average people.

If someone has real information, of course they should go to the police.

I think the casino(s) have a ton of information on this guy. Reams.
golfnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:55 PM   #109
slamdunkpro
veteran
 
slamdunkpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Springfield VA
Posts: 2,502
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by callipygian View Post
To be clear, I'm just as interested as anyone. But the frenzy of attention is not only not helpful, but actually detrimental to the investigation.

ISIS claimed responsibility, and in the wild, chaotic aftermath, their claim was given full validity and repeated by news outlets.

Democrats and Republicans are lining up to score screen time because you can't spell tragedy without rage. We're taking away your guns! They're taking our guns! Yeeeeeaaaargh!!!

I bet there's at least a few people in the ICU right now fighting for their lives. The death toll will creep up over the next few days as people recover or don't.

Sure, there's no more active shooting, but we really don't need Internet Detectives harassing Facebook friends or family, or clogging up the "airwaves" with random - and often poorly-vetted - revelations.
^^this^^

Stop for a second and consider what we actually know as fact:
Facts:
Shots were fired into the concert crowd from Mandalay bay (video of muzzle flashes and other evidence)
The police broke down a door and found Stephen Paddock dead in a room with multiple firearms and two shot out windows.
As of right now these are all the facts we have.

As of right now:
There is no forensic evidence that any of the weapons found are the murder weapon(s)
There is no eye witness evidence that Paddock did the shooting
There is no forensic evidence (GSR, Window glass splinters) that Paddock did the shooting.
Paddock left no note or manifesto
All conventional wisdom marks Paddock as a outlier mass murderer / spree killer (statistically speaking)

All of this may come and I'm not suggesting he didn't do it but we should really wait for the facts to come in.
slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:12 PM   #110
Gzesh
old hand
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UTG
Posts: 1,314
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamdunkpro View Post
^^this^^

Stop for a second and consider what we actually know as fact:
Facts:
Shots were fired into the concert crowd from Mandalay bay (video of muzzle flashes and other evidence)
The police broke down a door and found Stephen Paddock dead in a room with multiple firearms and two shot out windows.
As of right now these are all the facts we have.

As of right now:
There is no forensic evidence that any of the weapons found are the murder weapon(s)
There is no eye witness evidence that Paddock did the shooting
There is no forensic evidence (GSR, Window glass splinters) that Paddock did the shooting.
Paddock left no note or manifesto
All conventional wisdom marks Paddock as a outlier mass murderer / spree killer (statistically speaking)

All of this may come and I'm not suggesting he didn't do it but we should really wait for the facts to come in.
I am suggesting you are either trolling or really dense.

HOW do you claim such certainty that "there is no ....evidence that ...", etc. Just because no one has shown YOU what has been found ?

I'm as skeptical as anyone, but I think LMPD last night was really measured in their public utterances.

"we should really wait ....."

wtf, ...... wait for what ? There is a need for action now, to help the victims, or do you not think there were enough of them to help? If you are in Las Vegas, and healthy, donate blood. If you are not here, donate money.

otoh, what precisely do you think YOU are going to do"later" that matters and hinges on some as yet unrevealed "facts.... coming in" ?
Gzesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:05 PM   #111
pig4bill
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 26,572
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamdunkpro View Post
Stop for a second and consider what we actually know as fact:
Facts:
Shots were fired into the concert crowd from Mandalay bay (video of muzzle flashes and other evidence)
The police broke down a door and found Stephen Paddock dead in a room with multiple firearms and two shot out windows.
As of right now these are all the facts we have.

As of right now:
There is no forensic evidence that any of the weapons found are the murder weapon(s)
There is no eye witness evidence that Paddock did the shooting
There is no forensic evidence (GSR, Window glass splinters) that Paddock did the shooting.
Paddock left no note or manifesto
All conventional wisdom marks Paddock as a outlier mass murderer / spree killer (statistically speaking)

All of this may come and I'm not suggesting he didn't do it but we should really wait for the facts to come in.
Exactly. This could be a classic movie plot, where a CIA-spook type sets up Paddock to be a patsy, except this spook saw Jack Reacher and made sure to cap Paddock before he escaped.
pig4bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:51 PM   #112
Bighurt52235
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Bighurt52235's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: All your chip are belong to me
Posts: 12,881
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig4bill View Post
Exactly. This could be a classic movie plot, where a CIA-spook type sets up Paddock to be a patsy, except this spook saw Jack Reacher and made sure to cap Paddock before he escaped.
Phonebooth. Kiefer Sutherland.
Bighurt52235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:52 PM   #113
golfnutt
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,279
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7978821.html

And multiple reports that gunfire was coming from 5th floor too.

I don't know really. And who said this guy was a $100 video poker slots player?

All odd.
golfnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:09 PM   #114
BDHarrison
adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,170
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnutt View Post
And multiple reports that gunfire was coming from 5th floor too.

I don't know really. And who said this guy was a $100 video poker slots player?
His brother said he played $100/hand. If there was gunfire coming from the 5th floor, there would presumably be a broken window or other place where those shots could be fired from.
BDHarrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:17 AM   #115
pig4bill
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 26,572
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighurt52235 View Post
Phonebooth. Kiefer Sutherland.
Except that movie was pretty awful compared to Jack Reacher.
pig4bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:20 AM   #116
ShawnMul82
stranger
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 12
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27offsuit View Post
Prayers ITT too...

Is this some type of condescending remark?
Are Mods working for free (volunteers) on this site?
Volunteer in a more noble cause son.
ShawnMul82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:35 AM   #117
JoeC2012
grinder
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Suplex City
Posts: 647
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnMul82 View Post
Is this some type of condescending remark?
Are Mods working for free (volunteers) on this site?
Volunteer in a more noble cause son.
You mean like a church?
JoeC2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 04:29 AM   #118
18000rpm
grinder
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 675
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

Semi-auto to full auto:

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2017/oc...ce-to-speed-f/

How it works:

http://www.slidefire.com/videos
18000rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:28 AM   #119
MSchu18
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MSchu18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 13,286
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamdunkpro View Post
^^this^^

Stop for a second and consider what we actually know as fact:
Facts:
Shots were fired into the concert crowd from Mandalay bay (video of muzzle flashes and other evidence)
The police broke down a door and found Stephen Paddock dead in a room with multiple firearms and two shot out windows.
As of right now these are all the facts we have.

As of right now:
There is no forensic evidence that any of the weapons found are the murder weapon(s)
There is no eye witness evidence that Paddock did the shooting
There is no forensic evidence (GSR, Window glass splinters) that Paddock did the shooting.
Paddock left no note or manifesto
All conventional wisdom marks Paddock as a outlier mass murderer / spree killer (statistically speaking)

All of this may come and I'm not suggesting he didn't do it but we should really wait for the facts to come in.
I am sure there is forensic evidence... powered on his hands. The police chief also stated he shot thru the door and hit a security guard in the leg at which point they pulled back and waited for swat. He also had a slip and fall lawsuit against a casino.
MSchu18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:29 AM   #120
27offsuit
actions have consequences!
 
27offsuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sweet ass inya face
Posts: 27,319
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnMul82 View Post
Is this some type of condescending remark?
Are Mods working for free (volunteers) on this site?
Volunteer in a more noble cause son.

You would know condescending Shawny.
27offsuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:29 AM   #121
Bonomo's ears
newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 25
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

Was the shooter a poker player? He seems really familiar looking to me, specifically from playing Excalibur 1/2 NL tables in the last few years.

If not then my apologies, but I'm sure I've seen him there as a reg
Bonomo's ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:21 AM   #122
johnnyfry2
centurion
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 129
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamdunkpro View Post
^^this^^

Stop for a second and consider what we actually know as fact:
Facts:
Shots were fired into the concert crowd from Mandalay bay (video of muzzle flashes and other evidence)
The police broke down a door and found Stephen Paddock dead in a room with multiple firearms and two shot out windows.
As of right now these are all the facts we have.

As of right now:
There is no forensic evidence that any of the weapons found are the murder weapon(s)
There is no eye witness evidence that Paddock did the shooting
There is no forensic evidence (GSR, Window glass splinters) that Paddock did the shooting.
Paddock left no note or manifesto
All conventional wisdom marks Paddock as a outlier mass murderer / spree killer (statistically speaking)

All of this may come and I'm not suggesting he didn't do it but we should really wait for the facts to come in.
Your suspicions assume a great deal and it misses the one major element, motive.


The timing of his wife being outside the country.

The number of guns found at home home, presumably by more than one officer when they went to his home.

Interviews by gun dealers who stated they remembered him buying a weapon.

The large number of weapons he brought to the room.

Again, most important which I repeat. MOTIVE. For what reason would someone try to randomly kill innocent people and place the blame on this guy?

Furthermore, with all the weapons and ammo in the hotel room, and the time he was there (three days, him coming and going from the room), it would be a poorly designed frame job. He would easily be cleared if hotel videos don't show him bringing multiple bags into his room.

If they did clear him, we would have to see video of some other person bringing all of these weapons into his room. With so many working this case and having already watched the video of him in the hotel hallways the last three days, there would already have been another "person of interest" alert being put out to be public.

All of these facts and many other could be raised to debunk your theory, but another major problem would be that this would require that not one person in this investigation; probably in the hundreds from different police forces; would dare leak their suspicions or suggestion of odd evidence or lack of evidence.

If you've ever cooked something in the oven for a long time you will know that a little tinfoil lining the tray is important, too much tinfoil and you are not doing any good.

Last edited by johnnyfry2; 10-03-2017 at 11:23 AM. Reason: addition
johnnyfry2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:47 PM   #123
pig4bill
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 26,572
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18000rpm View Post
As I said in my first post ITT, bumpfire, not real full auto. A real M16 fires even faster and would be easier to control and aim. Thankfully he didn't have one or it could have been worse.
pig4bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 02:33 PM   #124
Professionalpoker
 
Professionalpoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Henderson of course.
Posts: 16,403
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

Article on increased Strip security:
http://in.reuters.com/article/usa-la...-idINKCN1C80AU
Professionalpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 02:42 PM   #125
27offsuit
actions have consequences!
 
27offsuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sweet ass inya face
Posts: 27,319
Re: Active shooter in Mandalay Bay.

Steve Wynn seems way ahead of the curve according to that article.
27offsuit is online now   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online