Open Side Menu Go to the Top
Register
Pokercast Episode 31 - Nick Grudzien & Bryce Paradis Pokercast Episode 31 - Nick Grudzien & Bryce Paradis

07-08-2008 , 08:23 PM
Live from the Two Plus Two Studios - The 2008 World Series of Poker Main Event is finally underway. Mike and Adam wrap up all the day one info including chip counts and notable survivors. Adam also shares some of his day one stories and talks about some interesting hands he played on his way to day two. The featured guests this week on Pokercast were Stox Poker pros Nick Grudzien and Bryce Paradis who came on the program to talk about the Polaris Project. Polaris is a Texas hold 'em poker playing program developed by the computer poker research group at the University of Alberta, a project that has been under way for over 16 years. Mike and Adam also talk some forum static and of course give away the password for the July 13th Poker Stars VIP Club freeroll.

Pokercast Theme - Demitone Productions Inc. - © 2007 : Vampire Weekend - The Kids Don't Stand A Chance - Vampire Weekend © 2007 : Klaxons - Isle Of Her - Myths Of The Near Future © 2006 : Alphabeat - Digital Love (Daft Punk Cover) © 2007
07-08-2008 , 11:47 PM
Bryce:

Quote:
Nobody's going to be able to duplicate polaris or anything near to it, based on the papers that are available.
I disagree, the CPRG papers are very clearly written and totally accessible to anyone with a decent computer science or math background. Also, they do not hold back, as was alluded to, on techniques for optimization and implementation.
07-09-2008 , 12:08 AM
great show guys. Mike let them post the video we all do embrassing things sometimes. i love the in depth discription on those hands Adam hope you at least cash, but i really hope you are back in vegas come November.
07-09-2008 , 03:35 AM
Third!
07-09-2008 , 05:21 AM
I couldn't stop loling at the beginning when MJ was talking about women in poker and saying things like 'penetration into big events' ect and Adam was literally laughing out loud
07-09-2008 , 01:34 PM
Good show this week, just one question...Where was Vanessa?
07-09-2008 , 04:14 PM
Great show, look forward to it everyweek......
07-10-2008 , 08:43 AM
Good show. Who did the cover of the Daft Punk track?
07-10-2008 , 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonFlowerPot
Good show. Who did the cover of the Daft Punk track?
Apparently it was a band called Alphabeat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQX1Nwwvk7Q

Edit: For future reference, Bunner has been listing the music played during the show at the bottom of the OP in each show's thread for the last two shows. There is also a discussion about the music in the show HERE with a full track listing that MJ updates every couple weeks or so.

Last edited by tunaman3000; 07-10-2008 at 09:10 AM.
07-10-2008 , 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyy
Great show, look forward to it everyweek......
qft
07-10-2008 , 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunaman3000
Bunner has been listing the music played during the show at the bottom of the OP in each show's thread for the last two shows.
Indeed he has, I feel suitably stupid for not reading the OP through. Thanks for the heads up.
07-10-2008 , 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonFlowerPot
Indeed he has, I feel suitably stupid for not reading the OP through. Thanks for the heads up.
Happy to help. I would have never found that video on youtube otherwise.
07-10-2008 , 03:40 PM
u said he busted out day one? why does pokernews have him with 200k chips
07-11-2008 , 12:32 AM
someone told me hellmuth busted...they were wrong and i never confirmed. He is still alive.
07-11-2008 , 09:17 AM
as always a good show, thanks guys
07-11-2008 , 08:29 PM
MJ and Adam,

Were you guys ever able to do the "Life as a Supernova Baller" (or whatever it was called) segment that you mentioned during one of the WSOP shows?
07-11-2008 , 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWMASJR
I couldn't stop loling at the beginning when MJ was talking about women in poker and saying things like 'penetration into big events' ect and Adam was literally laughing out loud
Maria Ho...

Head count...

penetration...

Mike certainly was on his game that day. Adam's reaction had me laughing too.
07-11-2008 , 10:18 PM
To give what is hopefully constructive feedback, this was not my favorite show.

Still worth listening to, but for me this was the worst episode since you came over to 2+2 (which is when I started listening to the show). I think part of it was the time, you guys didn't have the usual energy and it probably had a lot to do with everyone being up early and tired from playing poker and whatever else in Vegas. Also, I understand that the bot thing happened down there, but it seems like there should be other more interesting stories and guests from the WSOP and the main interview could happen any time basically. Maybe not, as you have said on air a couple times that you have trouble getting guests down there.

By comparison, the recent episode with Vanessa Selbst was excellent. I think for those of us who aren't in Vegas it's most interesting to have you guys talk to players that are playing there about what is going on in the tournaments, cash games, and whatever other random hi jinx. The two of you talking about what you had been doing was easily the best part of this week's show for me.

edit: hmmm, guess I meant several episodes back. The previous few have been good as well, I'm referring to the one where you interviewed her after her bracelet win.

Last edited by JaredL; 07-11-2008 at 10:29 PM.
07-13-2008 , 01:57 PM
OMG Nice!! Two of my fav. players on the same show!!
07-14-2008 , 04:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TelevisedEvent

Maria Ho...

Head count...

penetration...

Mike certainly was on his game that day. Adam's reaction had me laughing too.
and the Hooker Bar no less.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredL

I think for those of us who aren't in Vegas it's most interesting to have you guys talk to players that are playing there about what is going on in the tournaments, cash games, and whatever other random hi jinx. The two of you talking about what you had been doing was easily the best part of this week's show for me.
Second this, but I still didn't miss a minute. After Two and a Half Men, its my favorite show.

Bill

BTW, does anyone else think Adam sounds like Phil Gordon?

Last edited by Bill in FL; 07-14-2008 at 05:11 AM.
07-14-2008 , 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in FL
BTW, does anyone else think Adam sounds like Phil Gordon?
This is easily the biggest insult I've ever received...
07-15-2008 , 03:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamSchwartz
This is easily the biggest insult I've ever received...
I loved you in 'The Grand'

m