Open Side Menu Go to the Top
Register
Acne facial cream/soap/scrub?? Acne facial cream/soap/scrub??

06-15-2008 , 08:27 AM
Anyone have a recommendation for a decent product to cleanse and remove acne (not major) on the face and shoulders? Ive tried proactive and wasn't pleased with the results. If this is the wrong thread to post this in I apologize.
Acne facial cream/soap/scrub?? Quote
06-15-2008 , 10:57 AM
If its bad enough you can goto a dermatologist and get a prescription "scrub". I did this back in high school for a while. Not sure of any OTC stuff sorry.

One thing that will help for the shoulders is getting a really dark tan, makes it a lot less noticeable
06-15-2008 , 11:17 AM
Well I've had acne for about 4 years now (thankfully it's now under control) but I recommend checking out acne.org. I use the 3 step process there and it has helped me a lot.

Believe it or not I've found certain supplements to give me bad acne, especially creatine which I used for about 2 years and continuously had bad acne, I couldn't figure out why until one day I stopped using it and my face miraculously cleared up. I also recently used a fatburner (it was in my log) and that also gave me some ****ty acne that also stopped when I stopped using it.

But obviously for the majority of acne sufferers, supplements are not the issue and I would def recommend visiting acne.org for some good suggestions.
06-15-2008 , 03:13 PM
Just go see a dermatologist. Some know their stuff and will get you what you need, some suck. So just see one, take what they give you, give it some time, if it doesn't work move on to the next. My first dermatologist was no help at all but the 2nd one got it under control immediately and it's not an issue at all anymore.
06-15-2008 , 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qdmcg
One thing that will help for the shoulders is getting a really dark tan, makes it a lot less noticeable
can help (minimally) for the short term, but makes things worse for the longterm. Do not do this.
06-15-2008 , 03:16 PM
http://www.clarisonic.com/

Also- drink lots and only water, acne if from the inside- also might want to consider what you are eating...

maybe take some omega supplements....
06-15-2008 , 03:48 PM
I tried most of the available medications for acne, but none of them worked. I then went to a dermatologist and he prescribed Accutane (99% sure this is the name). It is supposed to be used only if nothing else works.

There is a bit of controversy surrounding the drug, it is associated with depression. I didn't get depressed when I was on it but I did noticed that my lips got very dry. It worked very well though, a 6 month treatment and the acne is all gone, I just get the odd spot now. I was told that for 95% of people it will cure acne for life and the other 5% will have to go on a second treatment.
06-15-2008 , 04:51 PM
my back and shoulders were breaking out pretty horribly, but the last couple weeks i went to the beach a lot, and the sun exposure made things almost 100 percent better. i was using so many different washes and creams, and the sun was the only thing to help me.
06-15-2008 , 06:09 PM
how is OP banned already?

anyways, as mentioned, sun exposure is good short term but bad long term...
06-15-2008 , 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shieler
I tried most of the available medications for acne, but none of them worked. I then went to a dermatologist and he prescribed Accutane (99% sure this is the name). It is supposed to be used only if nothing else works.

There is a bit of controversy surrounding the drug, it is associated with depression. I didn't get depressed when I was on it but I did noticed that my lips got very dry. It worked very well though, a 6 month treatment and the acne is all gone, I just get the odd spot now. I was told that for 95% of people it will cure acne for life and the other 5% will have to go on a second treatment.

I had really bad acne through high school, was on doxycycline and Retin-A which only marginally helped. Senior year my dermatologist prescribed me Accutane. This stuff was like a miracle drug, cleared me up in 3 months and the acne never came back (I still get maybe 1 small zit per month at 26, but nothing like I used to have.)

I also never got depressed (which is a side effect), but it does dry out all of your skin. I had very dry lips, had to constantly wear chapstick, and would get a nosebleed about every two weeks. There is also a very big risk for females who take it with the potential for birth defects (but only while on the drug, not forever). I think the birth control pill is a mandatory prescription along with Accutane if you are female

Overall I'm very happy that I was prescribed Accutane and wish my dermatologist would've prescribed it my freshman year.
06-15-2008 , 08:05 PM
acne.org is a pretty solid site. I've had medium to mild all of my life, mild for the past 5 years or so.

Cetaphil bars are the ****. I use that + Neutrogena's On the Spot (2.5% benzoyl peroxide) and Differin Gel at night (but I forget about that a ton of the time) and I'm usually in pretty good shape.
06-15-2008 , 11:01 PM

head and shoulders classic clean FTW!

just put it on ur back and shoulders in the shower and let sit for a couple mins. you can also put it on ur face if u wanted but dont leave on for than like 15 secs
06-16-2008 , 04:29 AM
buy spectro jel.
06-16-2008 , 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innocent Kitty
I had really bad acne through high school, was on doxycycline and Retin-A which only marginally helped. Senior year my dermatologist prescribed me Accutane. This stuff was like a miracle drug, cleared me up in 3 months and the acne never came back (I still get maybe 1 small zit per month at 26, but nothing like I used to have.)

I also never got depressed (which is a side effect), but it does dry out all of your skin. I had very dry lips, had to constantly wear chapstick, and would get a nosebleed about every two weeks. There is also a very big risk for females who take it with the potential for birth defects (but only while on the drug, not forever). I think the birth control pill is a mandatory prescription along with Accutane if you are female

Overall I'm very happy that I was prescribed Accutane and wish my dermatologist would've prescribed it my freshman year.
Yeah, it's definately worth it. I didn't get the nosebleeds but my lips did crack and bleed a few times, I had to put vaseline on every 10 minutes which was a bit of bother but as I said worth it.

I heard the same things about females, they have to be on the pill for a month before they take Accutane. Also Accutane can raise cholesterol so I had to get a blood test before starting, cholesterol tablets have to be taken in some cases.
06-16-2008 , 02:44 PM
Dip a washtowel into hot water and hold the wet towel to your face for as long as you can stand it. This will open the pores. Do it 4-5 times. Then wash with soap and rinse. Then hold a cold-water soaked towel to your face for 1 min. This will close the pores again.

Do this every day for a couple of weeks, and your face should clear up. You may want to follow up once a week if you have chronic problems.
06-16-2008 , 10:08 PM
I had bad acne, and the Clinique oily skin soap bar was amazing

nothing else worked

doxy didn't work for me, but minocycline was a charm! didn't need accutane luckily
06-18-2008 , 03:26 AM
less steroids = less acne imo
06-18-2008 , 01:45 PM
One of the best things I ever did to control acne that was starting to get out of control when I was a kid was to start sleeping with a towel. A good towel is both soft and absorbent enough not to let your pores sit in their own grease and have that grease harden into a plug as easily as when you're on the comparatively hard, tight cloth of a pillow. Also, since I tend to sleep on my side a lot and often have my cheek on one arm, with both parts sweating and grinding their oils into each other's pores, a towel kept things way cleaner. It also helped soak up oils from my neck.

Also, be sure you wash your pillow case often. Oil vs. oil is just going to make whatever your normal biology cooks up worse. You need to be always on a clean surface if you're touching anything at all. By absorbing some of your facial and neck oils, a towel does help in keeping your pillow cleaner, too.
06-19-2008 , 12:04 AM
^Yeah most people don't really realize that sleeping with the same pillow cover is -ev for acne. I didn't really get it until last year and sometimes when I forget to change my bedding regularly I will get a small breakout.
06-19-2008 , 02:05 PM
Yup, this is all the more important in summer too, when you tend to get oilier and sweatier even just sitting around. Hygiene helps a lot. Washing your face and neck before you go to bed is a good idea.
06-21-2008 , 12:05 AM
Acutane: Like declaring nuclear warfare on your skin

...... but it does work!!
06-21-2008 , 04:53 AM
I very highly recommend acne.org products. The soap is very mild but cleansing, the BP gel gives me no irritation whatsoever, and the quantity you get for the price is way better than anything you'd get at a B&M.

Also, Accutane is awesome but god is it ever nuclear warfare for the few months of treatment.
11-25-2010 , 03:39 AM
For the acne problem, try reading this article, it may help.

http://hometreatment.net/home-remedi...ment-for-acne/
11-25-2010 , 05:41 AM
is there a correlation between acne and ear wax type (wet or dry)? my father has dry earwax and had bad teenage acne and i have wet type and have never had acne. my grandma claims that there is

Last edited by McBeef; 11-25-2010 at 05:49 AM.
11-25-2010 , 10:24 AM
dial anti-bacterial bar soap.

m