Open Side Menu Go to the Top
Register
China Earthquake Donation in PokerStars China Earthquake Donation in PokerStars

05-21-2008 , 12:39 AM
As we all know, Sichuan, a province in China has suffered horrible earthquake on May 12th. PokerStars has created a kind event on donation. We donate one dollar, PokerStars would also donate one dollar.

As a Chinese, I would appreciate all your donations, thank you!
China Earthquake Donation in PokerStars Quote
05-21-2008 , 12:54 AM
as euro i would appreciate you chinese stopping to copy our stuff. will you do it ? no. will i donate ? clearly not for china.
05-21-2008 , 12:58 AM
NH Stars!

Oracle1:
That is a pretty damn ignorant statement to make.
05-21-2008 , 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracle1
as euro i would appreciate you chinese stopping to copy our stuff. will you do it ? no. will i donate ? clearly not for china.
wtf is wrong with you?
05-21-2008 , 01:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanGoghsLeftEar
NH Stars!

Oracle1:
That is a pretty damn ignorant statement to make.
dont think so. chinese gouvernment only tries to maximize their value. they don't care for people at all. The forced people to leave their villages for the Hoover Dam in Xiling etc. etc.
They tolerate the copying. China has the funds to help their own people, but they don't want to.

No money for China.

PS: tibet, taiwan
05-21-2008 , 01:25 AM
Oracle1: you are correct, the corrupt Chinese government does little to aid the suffering of its own people.

Oracle1: that doesn't mean you are not still going to hell.
05-21-2008 , 01:26 AM
Quote:
dont think so. chinese gouvernment only tries to maximize their value. they don't care for people at all. The forced people to leave their villages for the Hoover Dam in Xiling etc. etc.
They tolerate the copying. China has the funds to help their own people, but they don't want to.

No money for China.

PS: tibet, taiwan
Where are you from you ****ing piece of ****? Since the Chinese "gouvernment" (learn to spell you uneducated prick) won't help their people, donations go a long way, because INTERNATIONAL relief efforts go to the area and help people out.

You're a disgrace to your continent, country and planet.

NOW
05-21-2008 , 01:32 AM
Quote:
grow up, this isn't about helping the government, it's about helping other human beings in distress.
05-21-2008 , 01:33 AM
Some photos after disaster:

05-21-2008 , 01:35 AM

05-21-2008 , 01:36 AM
couldn't care less about chinese people.

people in burma, they need our help and dedication, not the chinese.
05-21-2008 , 01:42 AM
People all over the world need our help. If by Burma you mean Myanmar let me tell you it's been almost 20 years since the name was changed. One would think with such a statement you'd be informed.

It's not their fault they were born there you moran.
05-21-2008 , 01:54 AM
Oracle1,
Spare yourself from further self-humiliation and just stop posting.

By Eugene Tang and Aaron Sheldrick

May 21 (Bloomberg) -- China may take as many as 10 years to recover from its deadliest earthquake since 1976 as the government relocates more than 12 million people left homeless by the disaster, World Vision, a Christian aid group, said.

``We're going to see a real massive internal displacement,'' Jeffrey Wright, a spokesman for U.S.-based World Vision, said in a phone interview. ``It's going to take five to 10 years to really recover from this.'' World Vision delivers food, clothing and medical supplies to disaster zones.

The May 12 earthquake destroyed 5.4 million homes and damaged another 21.4 million, the Ministry of Civil Affairs said in Beijing. As of 6 p.m. Beijing time yesterday, 40,075 people had died and 247,645 were injured, the official Xinhua News Agency reported, citing the State Council, China's Cabinet.

Officials are rushing to house the 12.4 million people displaced by the quake in shelters to prevent the spread of disease with the onset of the rainy season in Sichuan, the worst-hit region, and surrounding provinces. The government appealed to overseas donors to make sending tents a priority.

``We are encouraging people affected to seek shelter with relatives and friends,'' Jiang Li, vice minister at the Ministry of Civil Affairs, said at a Beijing news briefing yesterday. The government is opening public venues to resettle people ``and this is where we need huge numbers of tents.''

More than 278,000 tents have been sent to the earthquake zone and the government has ordered 700,000 more, Jiang said. As many as 3 million tents are needed, as are foldable beds, crockery and gas canisters, she said.

Rains Start

Rain continued falling today and is forecast to continue till at least tomorrow, the China Meteorological Administration said in its latest English-language advisory. The rain has heightened concern about mudslides and the spread of disease.

``Mudslides are the biggest worry for now amid the torrential rain because the ground has already been destabilized,'' Jiang said.

Orphans and elderly people who lost relatives in the quake and haven't anyone to support them will get a monthly allowance of 600 yuan (US$86) for the next three months, Jiang said. The Finance Ministry has allocated 2.5 billion yuan (US$357M) in emergency aid, she said.

The central government is shipping 384,000 tons of grain from its reserves to Sichuan province to feed survivors.

More survivors were found yesterday. Wang Youqun, a 60- year-old retiree in Pengzhou, was rescued 196 hours after the quake struck. She lived on rainwater for the past few days, according to Xinhua.

Earlier, rescuers took 30 hours to pull Ma Yuangjiang, 31, from the rubble in Wenchuan county near the epicenter, Xinhua said, almost 179 hours after the quake.

The earthquake was the most powerful to hit China, the world's most populous country with 1.3 billion people, since a magnitude-8.6 quake struck Tibet in 1950, killing 1,526 people. A 7.5-magnitude temblor in *******n in the northeast killed 250,000 in 1976, according to the USGS.

China's seismology department said last week's quake had a magnitude of 8.
05-21-2008 , 01:58 AM
Quote:
couldn't care less about chinese people.

people in burma, they need our help and dedication, not the chinese.
Quote:

We are all human are we not? The only thing that divides us is "race", ethnicity, religion and nationality. All these variables are social constructs aiming in creating power and privilege for certain groups of individuals. I can't believe how careless and ignorant you are when it comes to helping HUMAN LIVES. Yes, chinese have the same genetic makeup as yourself but you are too concerned with their nationality not to help save lives?

You are eurocentric my friend. You are succumbed by your own idiocy and ignorant ideologies.

I hate people like yourself. Please get an education.
05-21-2008 , 02:03 AM
wow oracle is a joke, should be permabanned imo
05-21-2008 , 02:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1k1272
This.
05-21-2008 , 02:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophidion
We are all human are we not? The only thing that divides us is "race", ethnicity, religion and nationality. All these variables are social constructs aiming in creating power and privilege for certain groups of individuals. I can't believe how careless and ignorant you are when it comes to helping HUMAN LIVES. Yes, chinese have the same genetic makeup as yourself but you are too concerned with their nationality not to help save lives?

You are eurocentric my friend. You are succumbed by your own idiocy and ignorant ideologies.

I hate people like yourself. Please get an education.
Thank you, friend. Also, thank all the merciful people. I understand the critisism on Chinese government, however, it's not the time to aim at government. A few of my friends just went to Sichuan, bought lots of food, tents to help the victims. China is developing, believe me.
05-21-2008 , 02:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeveOfWizard
People all over the world need our help. If by Burma you mean Myanmar let me tell you it's been almost 20 years since the name was changed. One would think with such a statement you'd be informed.

It's not their fault they were born there you moran.
Well Burma is still an accepted name of the country. Myanmar was a name invented by the military regime.
05-21-2008 , 02:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1k1272
+1
05-21-2008 , 02:31 AM
Thank you for the heads up OP. This is a great gesture by PokerStars.

For those mixing Burma, Tibet, Olympics, earthquake, and intellectual property issues with human suffering - please do not let politics cloud your view as to whether or not 5 million homeless Chinese people should be helped or not.

These are all seperate issues, and need to be looked at objectively.

Just remember that the average Chinese family subsists with 1/5 to 1/4 of what an American family enjoys. And most on this planet make do with even less than that. So those who think that China can easily deal with this situation - you are wrong. Look at the US. Even the richest, most powerful nation on the planet had problems bringing food, water, and security to the victims of hurricane Katrina.
05-21-2008 , 02:37 AM
50k casualties and growing is no joke. most of which are children in school with ****ty foundations.

now consider the one child per family rule china has to limit the population and see the damage that has been done. so start funding them. btw who gives a *** what kind of stuff the chinese govt has done, thats no excuse to say i wont help out the people.
05-21-2008 , 02:50 AM
So how do we actually do this? Is there an account we can ship to on pstars?
05-21-2008 , 02:50 AM
I wish people would stop turn this into a political bashing. Its quite sad.

I read this on the news today. As of this moment, the death toll number of earthquake is over 40000, with over 250,000 people injured and a large number of people missing. 5 million people were left homeless. These people are living around of the quake areas in tents and temperorary housing. Some of them lost their spouses and loved ones in the quake. Some of them lost their parents or children. Babies that are less than 6 months old are now orphans.

Compare where they are to where we are. We ,as poker players, have pretty much the easist way to make money by doing something we love. To me, thats as lucky as one can get. Some of us complain abt having bad luck just because we got a couple of bad beats, or had a bad run of cards. If we are unlucky, what about them?

Personally, I'm very very grateful that Pokerstars is doing this. I wish anyone who can afford the donation will chip in. Even a single dollar is very important. Whats very little to us can do alot of goods to those who need helps.

Thx for reading this. I know this is kind of long, but i hope people can look at this event in a more sympathetic way instead of being so political. Your helps will be greatly appreciated.

Gl at the tables.
EmperorX

Last edited by Emperor X; 05-21-2008 at 03:02 AM.
05-21-2008 , 02:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyasaxa
So how do we actually do this? Is there an account we can ship to on pstars?
if u have PS account, just log in and register in Tourny/Special tab.
05-21-2008 , 02:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor X
I wish people would stop turn this into a political bashing. Its quite sad.

I read this on the news today. As of this moment, the death toll number of earthquake is over 40000, with over 250,000 people injured and a large number of people missing. 5 million people were left homeless. These people are living around of the quake areas in tents and temperorary housing. Some of them lost their spouses and loved ones in the quake. Some of them lost their parents or children. Babies that are less than 6 months old are now orphans.

Compare where they are to where we are. We ,as poker players, have pretty much the easist way to make money by doing something we love. To me, thats as lucky as one can get. Some of us complains abt having bad luck just because we got a couple of bad beats, or had a bad run of cards. If we are unlucky, what about them?

Personally, I'm very very grateful that Pokerstars is doing this. I wish anyone who can afford the donation will chip in. Even a single dollar is very important. Whats very little to us can do alot of goods to those who need helps.

Thx for reading this. I know this is kind of long, but i hope people can look at this event in a more sympathetic way instead of being so political. Your helps will be greatly appreciated.

Gl at the tables.
EmperorX
+2

m