Open Side Menu Go to the Top
Register
Possible poker bots at Ongame NLHE Possible poker bots at Ongame NLHE

01-23-2008 , 11:24 AM
A friend of mine came across a weird player with nick knipkniht at Ongame NLHE100 5max (blinds $0.50 and $1.00) a couple of days ago. My friend was multitabling at the time so I took some time to research this player after my friend claimed that he played like a very predictable poker bot. knipkniht was 4-tabling at the time so I had chance to observe him in real time. It gave me opportunity to see how much time he used to react and so on and obviously to get to see more hands from him.

What I noticed about this player after spectating him and combining some hand history (232 hands in total) from him:
-always buys in with $10
-always leaves instantly after folding UTG if he has doubled to ANY amount over $10
-always shoves SB with any two if everyone has folded (5 sec timing)
-always shoves BB with any two if everyone but SB has folded (and SB has only completed the blind) (5 sec timing)
-when he open shoves from elsewhere he has about range of QJo+, 66+
-he always shoves the whole stack (well what else are you going to shove)
-he never just calls
-he always shoves the flop if he hits top pair or better when he has seen flop free from BB in a multiway pot
I know that these are basic short stacking tactics. But here is it where it comes interesting:
-the player always plays according to his rules, absolutely no exceptions
-timing in shoves is VERY predictable (about 5 sec)
-he leaves the table even when doubling to only like $12 (who human would play with a discipline like that?)
-he always rebuys to $10 if he loses his stack and he always does that so slowly that he misses the next hand. If he should have posted any blind next hand he will post the missed blind and won’t wait for BB.

Okey, that is not much of prove yet but still pretty interesting. So I went to summary tab of my Poker Tracker and tried to find a similar player (based on VPIP and PFR being close to the knipkniht). I found this one player HarryKings with VPIP and PFR both of 22.45 after 196 hands. The original guy, knipkniht, had 22.41 in both of these values. Then I looked up Game Notes to see how he actually played. What I found was that he played exactly like knipkniht, with absolutely no exceptions. I found this guy online later that day and he was also 4-tabling like knipkniht and timings and so on seemed very much like knipknight’s. I did not spectate him for long time, though.

I did some Googling and here is what I found out:
-Both players showed up in many hand histories after October 2007 (with exception of couple hands by HarryKings in June 2007)
-They had minimum stacks in those hand histories too
-HarryKings and his playing style were mentioned on 2+2:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratamahatta
Do you guys know HarryKings and SoRonrey from OnGame (I am sure it's the same person)? He always sits down with 10bb and lives if doubles up, and he's very consistent. Is he a wining player?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shtirlis
Yeah, it's very interesting for me too.
(Taken from: **** Official Cake/UB/AP/Prima/Everest/etc Regs thread **** )

I looked up my stats on SoRonrey:
410 hands VPIP 27.56 PFR 27.07 (2 hands that only called preflop, mucked or folded both of those so can’t see those hands from PT without manual research).
I also found him playing online, 4 tabling. He did not have same timings as two previous players. He also played more loose after limpers and from the button. He even timed out once. He did however always leave after folding hand from UTG if he had doubled and he would also shove as supposed to and so on.

Ongame shows location of the players if they have entered those:
knipkniht: some Chinese place or something, like Tao-Yon District or something. I must say that Chinese are known for suspected methods in online gambling. Is poker even legal there?
HarryKings: I did not look it up.
SoRonrey: Only * as location.

PT Stats:
Edited to same picture some basic stats:

Other stuff
Some notes about the stats: knipkniht did not have infinity as AF at flop because he once flopped a set with 44 from BB (checked PF) and called an all-in that came before his turn.

In short:
2 very similar players suspected to be bots, Ongame NLHE100 and NLHE50 5max, maybe bots or players playing with very strict rules, third player pretty much like previous two but little different (more loose and had some weird timings). Player nicks knipkniht, HarryKings and SoRonrey

Final words:
It is obviously impossible for a spectator like me to provide any water-proof evidences (and I am not interested in doing that either) because he does not has access to player whole history or even some screenshots what other, better and more secure poker software, might take. Network histories (IP addresses) could also provide interesting info about at least possible multiaccounting.
After spectating these two first players, knipkniht and HarryKings, it seemed very obvious for me that most certainly it was not a human controlling those players. I can be wrong of course; a very disciplined player could probably play like that. I am very sorry if one you are playing under one of those nicks. However I don’t think it is very probable that those nicknames are controlled by a human player, the player was always in need to search new tables after leaving from some old ones and I think that would have affected his timings. About the third player, SoRonrey, I am not so sure. At least it is not run by same software or version of software and it did not have same timings as previous two.

I am not going to post almost thousand hand histories here but everything I said is based on HH's. I can post same later if you want.

I quickly looked up the TC of a random Ongame-site. I did not find ban for poker bots but I guess it would not be tolerated. I e-mailed Eurobet few minutes ago (customer-services@eurobet.com ) about these possible bots. Let’s see if they care to inspect or even answer.

What do you guys think about this?
Possible poker bots at Ongame NLHE Quote
01-23-2008 , 11:30 AM
Looks to me like they lost ~$128 in 1000 hands. If they're bots, they must be Christmas bots or something.
01-23-2008 , 11:33 AM
Email the site. Let them investigate.
01-23-2008 , 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SretiCentV
Looks to me like they lost ~$128 in 1000 hands. If they're bots, they must be Christmas bots or something.
I won some (~$30) money earlier from knipkniht by correcting my play against him. And obviously variance is huge in about 1000 hands with that style. The players have also made some money with rakeback and or bonus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpitch
Email the site. Let them investigate.
Yeah, I did. I just want to know you guys think about this. And I do not have lots of trust in Ongame support.
01-23-2008 , 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaz
And I do not have lots of trust in Ongame support.
Then leave, regardless of bots or not, if you don't trust a site, time to move on.
01-23-2008 , 11:55 AM
Quote:
A friend of mine came across a weird player with nick knipkniht at Ongame NLHE100 5max (blinds $0.50 and $1.00) a couple of days ago. My friend was multitabling at the time so I took some time to research this player after my friend claimed that he played like a very predictable poker bot. knipkniht was 4-tabling at the time so I had chance to observe him in real time. It gave me opportunity to see how much time he used to react and so on and obviously to get to see more hands from him.

What I noticed about this player after spectating him and combining some hand history (232 hands in total) from him:
-always buys in with $10
-always leaves instantly after folding UTG if he has doubled to ANY amount over $10
-always shoves SB with any two if everyone has folded (5 sec timing)
-always shoves BB with any two if everyone but SB has folded (and SB has only completed the blind) (5 sec timing)
-when he open shoves from elsewhere he has about range of QJo+, 66+
-he always shoves the whole stack (well what else are you going to shove)
-he never just calls
-he always shoves the flop if he hits top pair or better when he has seen flop free from BB in a multiway pot
I know that these are basic short stacking tactics. But here is it where it comes interesting:
-the player always plays according to his rules, absolutely no exceptions
-timing in shoves is VERY predictable (about 5 sec)
-he leaves the table even when doubling to only like $12 (who human would play with a discipline like that?)
-he always rebuys to $10 if he loses his stack and he always does that so slowly that he misses the next hand. If he should have posted any blind next hand he will post the missed blind and won’t wait for BB.

Okey, that is not much of prove yet but still pretty interesting. So I went to summary tab of my Poker Tracker and tried to find a similar player (based on VPIP and PFR being close to the knipkniht). I found this one player HarryKings with VPIP and PFR both of 22.45 after 196 hands. The original guy, knipkniht, had 22.41 in both of these values. Then I looked up Game Notes to see how he actually played. What I found was that he played exactly like knipkniht, with absolutely no exceptions. I found this guy online later that day and he was also 4-tabling like knipkniht and timings and so on seemed very much like knipknight’s. I did not spectate him for long time, though.

I did some Googling and here is what I found out:
-Both players showed up in many hand histories after October 2007 (with exception of couple hands by HarryKings in June 2007)
-They had minimum stacks in those hand histories too
-HarryKings and his playing style were mentioned on 2+2:

(Taken from: **** Official Cake/UB/AP/Prima/Everest/etc Regs thread **** )

I looked up my stats on SoRonrey:
410 hands VPIP 27.56 PFR 27.07 (2 hands that only called preflop, mucked or folded both of those so can’t see those hands from PT without manual research).
I also found him playing online, 4 tabling. He did not have same timings as two previous players. He also played more loose after limpers and from the button. He even timed out once. He did however always leave after folding hand from UTG if he had doubled and he would also shove as supposed to and so on.

Ongame shows location of the players if they have entered those:
knipkniht: some Chinese place or something, like Tao-Yon District or something. I must say that Chinese are known for suspected methods in online gambling. Is poker even legal there?
HarryKings: I did not look it up.
SoRonrey: Only * as location.

PT Stats:
Edited to same picture some basic stats:

Other stuff
Some notes about the stats: knipkniht did not have infinity as AF at flop because he once flopped a set with 44 from BB (checked PF) and called an all-in that came before his turn.

In short:
2 very similar players suspected to be bots, Ongame NLHE100 and NLHE50 5max, maybe bots or players playing with very strict rules, third player pretty much like previous two but little different (more loose and had some weird timings). Player nicks knipkniht, HarryKings and SoRonrey

Final words:
It is obviously impossible for a spectator like me to provide any water-proof evidences (and I am not interested in doing that either) because he does not has access to player whole history or even some screenshots what other, better and more secure poker software, might take. Network histories (IP addresses) could also provide interesting info about at least possible multiaccounting.
After spectating these two first players, knipkniht and HarryKings, it seemed very obvious for me that most certainly it was not a human controlling those players. I can be wrong of course; a very disciplined player could probably play like that. I am very sorry if one you are playing under one of those nicks. However I don’t think it is very probable that those nicknames are controlled by a human player, the player was always in need to search new tables after leaving from some old ones and I think that would have affected his timings. About the third player, SoRonrey, I am not so sure. At least it is not run by same software or version of software and it did not have same timings as previous two.

I am not going to post almost thousand hand histories here but everything I said is based on HH's. I can post same later if you want.

I quickly looked up the TC of a random Ongame-site. I did not find ban for poker bots but I guess it would not be tolerated. I e-mailed Eurobet few minutes ago (customer-services@eurobet.com ) about these possible bots. Let’s see if they care to inspect or even answer.

What do you guys think about this?

You say in your post that it is possible that some very disciplined players play like this. So basically what you are doing is you are calling out three people for short stacking without any proof. It's not bad to bring up this evidence, it's pretty reckless of you to give away their screen names without being 100% sure yourself.

"He did however always leave after folding hand from UTG if he had doubled and he would also shove as supposed to and so on."

Standard Short stack play.

"after my friend claimed that he played like a very predictable poker bot"

Or he could be a disciplined poker player. There are a few of them out there.

"he leaves the table even when doubling to only like $12 (who human would play with a discipline like that?)"

This is short stacking strategy, you lose your short stacking edge if you are no longer a short stack. And what human would do that? I can name quite a few pro short stackers who play exactly like that.

You have his playing style picked out. Go take his money, report him to support, but do not be an asshat and make his name public when you have speculative proof at best.
01-23-2008 , 12:03 PM
"dubblethru" is another player i suspect is a bot. He shortstacks the 200nl. buys in for the minimum and makes the same predictable shoves in hands where everyone has folded except the blinds or on hands with one limper or hands where he has any ace etc. not sure exactly what type of hands he pushes on as i havent analyzed it in depth. I just know he hits his ace against my pocket pair everytime lol. Other than taking my money there is no way this bot is making $.

Ive made a point in the last couple weeks to ask type in the chatbox "dubblethru are you a robot" but i haven't gotten a response.
01-23-2008 , 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderFFX
You say in your post that it is possible that some very disciplined players play like this. So basically what you are doing is you are calling out three people for short stacking without any proof. It's not bad to bring up this evidence, it's pretty reckless of you to give away their screen names without being 100% sure yourself.
My biggest proofs were the timing (that I can't actually post here because it can only be spectated) and that those two first players were _very_ similar. I gave up their screen names so that other people could look up them from their stats and maybe some HH's and stuff like that. I they are real persons then so be it. Personally I would only find it funny if someone posted that I am possibly a poker bot.
Edit: and I said I can never be 100% sure (because I don't have access to their computers)!

Quote:
"He did however always leave after folding hand from UTG if he had doubled and he would also shove as supposed to and so on."

Standard Short stack play.
I meant that he had those things in similar to the previous players. Sorry that it did not come up from the original sentence.

Quote:
"after my friend claimed that he played like a very predictable poker bot"

Or he could be a disciplined poker player. There are a few of them out there.
Or he could be a poker bot. I did not want to ignore the fact there COULD be a poker bot making the games worse.

Quote:
You have his playing style picked out. Go take his money, report him to support, but do not be an asshat and make his name public when you have speculative proof at best.
Thank you for calling me an asshat.
I have only speculative proof but combined with other peoples knowledge and making effort for Ongame support to react someone could find out more.

Last edited by ronaz; 01-23-2008 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Something to say
01-23-2008 , 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito607
"dubblethru" is another player i suspect is a bot. He shortstacks the 200nl. buys in for the minimum and makes the same predictable shoves in hands where everyone has folded except the blinds or on hands with one limper or hands where he has any ace etc. not sure exactly what type of hands he pushes on as i havent analyzed it in depth. I just know he hits his ace against my pocket pair everytime lol. Other than taking my money there is no way this bot is making $.

Ive made a point in the last couple weeks to ask type in the chatbox "dubblethru are you a robot" but i haven't gotten a response.
My friend has some stats on him:
[18:07] <@ xxx> | 177 hands 15.25/15.25 nl100,
[18:07] <@ xxx> | nl200 257 hands 12.45/12.45
[18:08] <@ xxx> | flop aggrf infinite

Plays much tighter than the guys I posted about.
I don't know if those are from full ring though, might be.
Edit: yup, it was full ring

Last edited by ronaz; 01-23-2008 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Confirmation of full ring play
01-23-2008 , 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito607

Or he could have his chat turned off.
01-23-2008 , 12:19 PM
ya I figured that is likely too.
01-23-2008 , 12:22 PM
Quote:
Thank you for calling me an asshat.
I have only speculative proof but combined with other peoples knowledge and making effort for Ongame support to react someone could find out more.

Your action of exposing a player without 100% proof is an action of an asshat.

Your work into exposing botters/cheaters is noble. Just a couple things and I'm going to drop it:

1) A couple thousand hands is not statistical proof.
2) Not talking in channel is not proof.
3) Following a short stacking style is not proof.

4) Timing similarities is possible proof.

Keep up the good work, but my suggestion would be to not expose the person's name until you have substantial proof. Definitly notify support.

Good luck.

Personally, since you have his playing style locked I would look to sit to the right of this guy and always check/call my monster hands to him (in hopes of a re-raise to take your blinds so you can then stack him) and min raise any other hand to steal his blind.

If he is a bot, min-raising and min-betting will be very +ev since a human will easily recognize a wimpy bet and a bot won't.
01-23-2008 , 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderFFX
Your action of exposing a player without 100% proof is an action of an asshat.
As said, I can't have 100% proof without actually seeing the software code.

Quote:
2) Not talking in channel is not proof.
Haven't said so.

Quote:
3) Following a short stacking style is not proof.
That is right.

Quote:
4) Timing similarities is possible proof.
Yes, but they are awfully hard for me to inspect. Hopefully Ongame support can do better.

Quote:
Keep up the good work, but my suggestion would be to not expose the person's name until you have substantial proof. Definitly notify support.
Thanks but I guess that my work here is done and nicknames are out there now. The reason I posted nicknames was that otherwise this thread would have been just "there are some players out there somewhere playing like this but I can't post any handhistories (would have had to modify every HH I would have posted) and other people can't now look up those guys from their PT".

Quote:
Personally, since you have his playing style locked I would look to sit to the right of this game and always call my monster hands to him (in hopes of a re-raise to take your blinds) and min raise any other hand to steal his blind.

If he is a bot, min-raising and min-betting will be very +ev since a human will easily recognize a wimpy bet and a bot won't.
I know I can beat his playing style 100-0. But I am not too interested to hunt the tables he sits in though. He changes the tables very often for obvious reasons. And I also tried minraises and minbets against him, worked like a charm every time. Also if I were in a multiway pot against him on the flop, I could be 100% certain that no checkraise was coming from him. Definately +EV.

And, now after I have announced his SN, everyone could do that.
01-23-2008 , 02:48 PM
I have long ago marked knipkniht and HarryKings as bots. They play at least nl10, nl25, nl50 and nl100 on ongame. They always buy in the minimum and when they double up, they rathole the money away. Also they are playing pretty much 24/7.

I wouldn't bother too much about them though, if you have an ace just limp in before them and call the all in.
01-23-2008 , 05:20 PM
Ongame is absolutely rammed with LHE bots, I found an entire website / forum dedicated to using bots at ongame with plenty of active users. Not sure about NL though.

The good news is that 99% of them only seem to be profitable at microstakes, and even then their variance appears to be HUGE due to such marginal winrates.

Verdict: Ongame is full of automated fish and support couldn't care less

Edit: I do not use and never have used a bot. I suspected several players of being bots and did some research.

Edit2: And these bots are capable of changing playing styles instantly on either a set, or random timer. IIRC they are also capable of very basic chat such as "nh", "ty" and "OMG" so rigid playing style + no chat proves nothing.

Last edited by Tweed _Man; 01-23-2008 at 05:31 PM.
01-23-2008 , 05:25 PM
harrykings is so terrible
01-23-2008 , 08:04 PM
This seems deserving of investigation by the site. Keep us updated of any response.
01-23-2008 , 08:25 PM
If Harry Kings is a bot he is one terrible one. He open shoves kj off qj and other donk hands. Ongame has some of the worst short stack regulars on the net. I would say his playing length and timing for moves is more important than his running off.
01-23-2008 , 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josem
This seems deserving of investigation by the site. Keep us updated of any response.
in my opinion and experiences, ongame is one of the least likely providers to do anything about this...
01-23-2008 , 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grando
in my opinion and experiences, ongame is one of the least likely providers to do anything about this...
If this is the case, then your only real recourse is to not play there anymore.
01-23-2008 , 09:13 PM
ding ding ding
01-24-2008 , 02:09 AM
Quote:
If this is the case, then your only real recourse is to not play there anymore.
Why? And leave the donks play with bots?
01-24-2008 , 02:25 AM
If OP is happy with the situation, presumably he would not have complained.

If OP is unhappy with the situation, he should do something to fix his unhappiness.

There are two viable options here:
1) Sit down for a few minutes and figure out the mathematical solution to beat their play
or
2) Play somewhere else

I think both are reasonable morally, ethically, financially and culturally.
01-24-2008 , 03:21 AM
Quote:
If OP is happy with the situation, presumably he would not have complained.

If OP is unhappy with the situation, he should do something to fix his unhappiness.

There are two viable options here:
1) Sit down for a few minutes and figure out the mathematical solution to beat their play
or
2) Play somewhere else

I think both are reasonable morally, ethically, financially and culturally.
Your reasoning is wrong.

I have done the 1) already (you can see how I have listed how they play and it is very easy to reason how to beat them). It took very little time for me to adjust to their play after I noticed how they played. If I searched for those players and followed them to their tables and so on I could beat them for some money for sure. And don't think that would be ethically right.

About the 2): I am not however going to change the site where I play, because I am used to play there now and I know many of the regulars and so on. It is not financially good for me to change the site now. Neither is it ethically right for me to just ignore the possible cheating (yes, I consider poker bots cheating).

I posted this because I wanted other people to know too and so that people could share their experiences and maybe even spectate those players if they see them online. I am pretty sure they would share my feeling that something nasty is going on.

I am happy that many users here and in a Finnish forum have reported what they know about these players. Their experiences have been similar to mine.
01-24-2008 , 05:22 AM
Quote:
I have done the 1) already (you can see how I have listed how they play and it is very easy to reason how to beat them). It took very little time for me to adjust to their play after I noticed how they played. If I searched for those players and followed them to their tables and so on I could beat them for some money for sure. And don't think that would be ethically right.
Wait, WHAT?

m