Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > Sports and Games > Golf

Notices

Golf Discuss the game of golf

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2009, 09:02 PM   #1
centurion
 
Borden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Denver, Co
Posts: 124
MISC/RANDOM/BS Golf Chatter Thread

Figured since every other forum has these...this one deserves one too.

Random golf chatter
Should I buy this? / is this used X a good deal?
Stupid/dumb questions that don't deserve their own thread.
Random observations etc etc
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:27 PM   #2
adept
 
MiloDanglers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 909
Re: MISC/RANDOM/BS Golf Chatter Thread

I'll start. I just bought the Nike deal at Dicks. I got a Nike Sumo Squared 5900 driver and 4 wood for $200. I don't play often but plan on golfing once a week this year. I usually golf only a couple times a year and usually shoot around a 94 with very erratic play.

What I am wondering is how important it is to have these clubs fitted. I just went into the store and bought them. Does it cost more? Do I have to go to some special place to do this or should Dick's just do it for me?

Thanks for any help.
MiloDanglers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:48 PM   #3
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
UCBananaboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 7,749
Re: MISC/RANDOM/BS Golf Chatter Thread

Getting fitted isn't that important imo. I think if you get down to near single-digit handicap -- then it should be more of a concern. At shooting 94, you likely have trouble making consistent solid contact anyways, so getting fitted is the least of your concerns (no offense). Only thing that you may want to get fitted for is if you are extremely tall and may need extended shafts and such... otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.

$200 is a great deal for the clubs tho. I think you'll enjoy what you got and really see an increase in length and such.
UCBananaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:52 PM   #4
old hand
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: teh suck
Posts: 1,449
Re: MISC/RANDOM/BS Golf Chatter Thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXpfs...eature=related

Funny! This guy is like the most unknown tour pro ever.
weevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:49 AM   #5
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
john voight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: I am gder01 (water boat)
Posts: 13,104
Re: MISC/RANDOM/BS Golf Chatter Thread

so I am getting back into golf.
I played a little when i was in 6th-8th grade.
now im 22. 6ft, 165-173lbs.

I dont have alot of money b/c NL200 and PLO200 are hard.
I'm in no hurry to buy a bunch of stuff.

The other day I hit my bros little driver (he is 12). That was fun, I was slugging them 200yds. I felt I had good distance, but poor control.

So naturally I wanna buy a used callaway ft-i.

http://callawaygolfpreowned.com/driv...vers-ft-i.aspx

I really like the square look of many drivers (nike not so much). I also feel I would swing the club w/ more confidence w/ square. Though, I have no proof. just a hunch.
john voight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:57 AM   #6
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 19,603
Re: MISC/RANDOM/BS Golf Chatter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBananaboy View Post
Getting fitted isn't that important imo. I think if you get down to near single-digit handicap -- then it should be more of a concern. At shooting 94, you likely have trouble making consistent solid contact anyways, so getting fitted is the least of your concerns (no offense). Only thing that you may want to get fitted for is if you are extremely tall and may need extended shafts and such... otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.

$200 is a great deal for the clubs tho. I think you'll enjoy what you got and really see an increase in length and such.
Eh, pretty much disagree with this entire post. We have no idea what his swing is like, so telling him that getting custom fit isn't important is pretty meh. He didn't even tell us what shaft he has in the clubs, so we have no idea whether these clubs are even remotely close to what he needs.

I personally think everyone should at least know the basics of their swing(swing speed, lie angle adjustments, etc) before they go buy clubs. Swinging the wrong shaft, or non adjusted irons can really hurt your game and keep you from improving. Shooting 94 is the exact time when I think you should be getting involved in custom fitting, because in most cases you've started striking the ball pretty well and can really notice a difference.
ZBTHorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:13 AM   #7
grinder
 
Jamming Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: I'm a lemon
Posts: 523
Re: MISC/RANDOM/BS Golf Chatter Thread

Just bought a Callaway FT-5 driver.
Any experience with it here?
Jamming Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:31 AM   #8
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Spenda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pwnmaha
Posts: 14,359
Re: MISC/RANDOM/BS Golf Chatter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBananaboy View Post
Getting fitted isn't that important imo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3y3QoFnqZc

also, thx for starting this thread, hopefully this will weed out some crappier threads that didn't need to be started.
Spenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:32 AM   #9
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Spenda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pwnmaha
Posts: 14,359
Re: MISC/RANDOM/BS Golf Chatter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamming Monkey View Post
Just bought a Callaway FT-5 driver.
Any experience with it here?
solid stick, and I dislike Callaway clubs in general
Spenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:52 PM   #10
adept
 
MiloDanglers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 909
Re: MISC/RANDOM/BS Golf Chatter Thread

I got the Diamana S-65 shaft with a 9.5 degree head. I swing very hard. I have no clue what the speed is but I am a fairly strong and athletic guy and I definitely put a lot in my swing. I typically have a slight fade but a few years ago I had a slight draw. lol.

I saved the receipt and would think about getting a more flexible shaft but I swing so hard I don't know if it is necessary. I don't understand why shaft length is important because can't I just scoot up or back if I need to? That maybe a really stupid comment but I really know nothing about golf except put the ball in the hole.
MiloDanglers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:26 PM   #11
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 19,603
Re: MISC/RANDOM/BS Golf Chatter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiloDanglers View Post
I got the Diamana S-65 shaft with a 9.5 degree head. I swing very hard. I have no clue what the speed is but I am a fairly strong and athletic guy and I definitely put a lot in my swing. I typically have a slight fade but a few years ago I had a slight draw. lol.

I saved the receipt and would think about getting a more flexible shaft but I swing so hard I don't know if it is necessary. I don't understand why shaft length is important because can't I just scoot up or back if I need to? That maybe a really stupid comment but I really know nothing about golf except put the ball in the hole.
Go to golfsmith or PGA superstore or edwin watts, or whatever you have where you live. Have them tell you your swing speed, and ask them if the shaft you have is a good fit. It's not a custom fitting, but it's better than just guessing.

The reason you can't just scoot back, is because in order to hit a good golf shot you've got to approach it from a certain angle.
ZBTHorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:48 PM   #12
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
UCBananaboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 7,749
Re: MISC/RANDOM/BS Golf Chatter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBTHorton View Post
Eh, pretty much disagree with this entire post. We have no idea what his swing is like, so telling him that getting custom fit isn't important is pretty meh. He didn't even tell us what shaft he has in the clubs, so we have no idea whether these clubs are even remotely close to what he needs.

I personally think everyone should at least know the basics of their swing(swing speed, lie angle adjustments, etc) before they go buy clubs. Swinging the wrong shaft, or non adjusted irons can really hurt your game and keep you from improving. Shooting 94 is the exact time when I think you should be getting involved in custom fitting, because in most cases you've started striking the ball pretty well and can really notice a difference.
I disagree, I have seen a lot of people shoot 94 who really aren't that great ballstrikers. Moreso than good ball strikers who just piss away shots around the green - hence why I said getting fitted isn't that essential at this stage.

I agree though, lots of stats regarding his game are key to making an appropriate call though.

I guess I am just lucky to have never needed adjusted clubs
UCBananaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:06 PM   #13
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
bonds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: High Stakes Player from Finland
Posts: 11,749
Re: MISC/RANDOM/BS Golf Chatter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamming Monkey View Post
Just bought a Callaway FT-5 driver.
Any experience with it here?
I got one last year and it's my current gamer. I've been very pleased with it - I definitely have picked up yardage (thanks to a much better shaft fit) and have a lot of confidence on the tee. I'm able to work the ball either way if necessary.

First Callaway club I've ever owned. You probably paid a lot less than I did, too.
bonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:10 PM   #14
grinder
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 474
Re: MISC/RANDOM/BS Golf Chatter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenda View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3y3QoFnqZc

also, thx for starting this thread, hopefully this will weed out some crappier threads that didn't need to be started.
you ona downswing? seem bitter lately!

the ****ty threads (including mine) are my fav part of this forum.
bjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:28 PM   #15
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Spenda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pwnmaha
Posts: 14,359
Re: MISC/RANDOM/BS Golf Chatter Thread

****ty posts don't need to be threads
Spenda is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive