Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Golf Discuss the game of golf

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #151
tzwien
Pooh-Bah
 
tzwien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,267
Re: Putting prop bet: 100 tries @100ft for $100

Every time I come back to this thread it hits a new high. Or low. We'll go with high.
tzwien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #152
jsb235
grinder
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 551
Re: Putting prop bet: 100 tries @100ft for $100

Man, what an abortion of a thread. My only comment would be that having Ship leave this forum is just crappy. He played in the US Open. He shared some great stories with us from Q school and the mid amateur. So who is going to replace that? Whatever you think about him, he brought a perspective to this thread that is basically irreplaceable.

Congratulations to everybody who participated in escalating a basically pointless discussion.
jsb235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:37 PM   #153
MinusEV
Giftastic!
 
MinusEV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Don't trust men who walk with canes
Posts: 10,609
Re: Putting prop bet: 100 tries @100ft for $100

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb235 View Post
Man, what an abortion of a thread. My only comment would be that having Ship leave this forum is just crappy. He played in the US Open. He shared some great stories with us from Q school and the mid amateur. So who is going to replace that? Whatever you think about him, he brought a perspective to this thread that is basically irreplaceable.

Congratulations to everybody who participated in escalating a basically pointless discussion.
What is the point of this post?

The decision to leave or stay is ships and ships alone - noone is forcing him to go or stay. You get that, right?

Or is your point that certain posters should not be argued with or disagreed with no matter what because they might get offended and leave?
MinusEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:45 PM   #154
ntnBO
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,509
Re: Putting prop bet: 100 tries @100ft for $100

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinebound View Post
lol. No wonder he couldn't make it at pro golf, the guy is so mentally weak he has to permanently leave a forum after a lil turmoil from him being proven wrong. And he can't mentally overcome himself to even do that, so he has to change his password to a random 20 digit number wtf hah.
The below is the aftermath of sunshine trolling ship while discussing stads US Am run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship---this View Post
hard to imagine why I never logged in again after the hacking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwicemvp12 View Post
Sunshinebound gets two days for trolling. Sorry for the disturbance!
ntnBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:51 PM   #155
darthwager
veteran
 
darthwager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: LoL He Called
Posts: 2,161
F putting get a wedge and chip dat sucka gg
darthwager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #156
jsb235
grinder
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 551
Re: Putting prop bet: 100 tries @100ft for $100

The point was to express how disappointed I am that a guy who has offered invaluable insight on this forum has decided to leave.

And for what?

I am not making value judgements on the circumstances that led up to this point, I am just pointing out the negative consequences that have resulted.
jsb235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #157
DickPound
banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 804
Re: Putting prop bet: 100 tries @100ft for $100

Ship, if you get your other forum up and running again, I'll join.
DickPound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:05 PM   #158
A-Rod's Cousin
banned
 
A-Rod's Cousin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Michelle Wie=the next Michelle Wie.
Posts: 37,168
Re: Putting prop bet: 100 tries @100ft for $100

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb235 View Post
Man, what an abortion of a thread. My only comment would be that having Ship leave this forum is just crappy. He played in the US Open. He shared some great stories with us from Q school and the mid amateur. So who is going to replace that? Whatever you think about him, he brought a perspective to this thread that is basically irreplaceable.

Congratulations to everybody who participated in escalating a basically pointless discussion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb235 View Post
The point was to express how disappointed I am that a guy who has offered invaluable insight on this forum has decided to leave.

And for what?

I am not making value judgements on the circumstances that led up to this point, I am just pointing out the negative consequences that have resulted.
So playing in the US Open gives a poster carte blanche to say things like "****ing idiot" and that breaking putts are easier than straight putts and pros know this and think this, without any recourse? Got it.

I don't think anybody here told ship to leave or wants him to leave. I don't want him to leave. I think he's a pretty cool guy and I like having him here. But I think he's leaving because he can't take the hits to his ego that he's taken in this thread. That has nothing to do with us. It's pretty clear his ego has been damaged when he resorts to telling other posters he's more successful than them in the real world, which is apropos of nothing at all being discussed in the thread.
A-Rod's Cousin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:27 PM   #159
farewellyeship
stranger
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 8
Re: Putting prop bet: 100 tries @100ft for $100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your Boss View Post
Because of the uncertainty of the read, not because perfectly straight putts have less margin for error.

As this:



proves.

Really, that part of the post is /thread worthy.
My comment about in a vacuum I’d take straight refers to putts under around 15 feet, and as I’ve stated countless times, yes there is a point where there is too much break to be beneficial. Obviously this relates to NXT’s question below of “How much break does it have to have to all of a sudden be easier?” I guess at this point I am seeing more why you can’t get it. There is a concept, not really a concept as much as a quasi law I guess, called an inflection point. I now get it that you guys can only see in black or white and pass/no pass. As I’ve stated numerous times (repetition is, again, the foundation of learning) I do not think that all breaking putts are easier than straight putts. I’ve even cited the example of #9 at Augusta where a MUCH long straight putt would be easier than a much shorter breaking putt due to the severity of the break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtWrldChamp View Post
Haha yea... except rather than a 100 foot dead straight/flat putt on glass he'd rather tilt the glass plane a few degrees so the putt breaks bc you have a better chance of making the breaking putt.

How much break does it have to have to all of a sudden be easier? Is there a limit to the amount of break? Certainly not since breaking putts are easier than straight ones right? The more break the easier it becomes right? LOL.

I also wonder at what distance the straight/flat putt becomes harder to make than one that breaks. And I'm very interested to hear how this physics defying discovery is explained.
Back to the thought of you must be trolling or simply not even reading my comments (again, I applaud the commitment to the trolling). To make a blanket inference that I said breaking putts are easier is simply wrong. It’s not really worth beating this horse further if you won’t even use my thoughts correctly.

What I do find interesting and something the NXT siders should consider is that I called him a liar in absolutely no uncertain terms with regards to his trial. He did not refute this one bit. I am sure he will say it wasn’t worth his time, but we all know there is no chance he would let that go by without commenting. As more of you try this experiment you too will realize he did not perform it as stated. It is simply impossible to not have balls in your line after 10 putts that need to be moved to continue. If after 10 balls you don’t have some in your way that is evidence that you can not consistently hit a line and thus are a dog in this bet. Make sense? To take it one step further, he specifically laughed that I had the line after 4 rolls and said it would take 10-20 to figure out the line. Thus he does not have the ability to counter with “I knew the exact line and there weren’t any balls in the way”. Look again at his picture, the front of the hole is littered with balls. There is no chance they were not in his way. So, AGAIN, you are simply lying to attempt to help your case. That is absolutely beyond pathetic. Do I really want to win this debate at this point and have the people who still don’t get it understand? Sadly the answer clearly is yes. However at least I have not said “**** it, I’m going to lie and say I did this to show how easy it is”. That, as you would say NXT, is just pathetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Rod's Cousin View Post
No they haven't. If they have, please link the scientific study plz. This simply doesn't stand to reason so at least link a study. Plenty of things in the world around us are counter-intuitive but it takes proof to see that and you can't link anything other than BO's Golf Digest for-profit article.




Wait - what? You are arguing that putts that break are easier to make. Now you are saying you would take the level putt. Does this mean you are arguing two sides, or does it mean you are slowly beginning to see the error of your ways?




If you disagree with what I actually said then just attack the point. I don't know why you have to get all metaphysical on me and claim my brain is not linked to some specific pro's. You and BO are the ones who claim pros are frightened to death by a straight putt, so why don't you tell us why? The burden of proof is actually on you guys. I was just trying to point out reasons why "straight" putts can be unnerving.
A Rod, if you must perform a scientific experiment please perform the dead straight 45 degree angle example and see if a ball started inside right breaks right or not. I highly doubt Harvard will be doing a study on something that you can simply see in your head quite clearly.

Again, with regards to the notion that there could be bot straight putts that are easier to make, as well as certain breaking putts that are easier to make I ask you to please refer to this fuzzy math concept of an inflection point. Wikipedia makes it sound real smart calling it a principle of differential calculus. That sounds super awesome, take that to 8th grade on Monday and really wow ‘em. Let’s poker it up, if you are trailing on the flop is it possible to have a certain number of outs that makes you a favorite? Let’s say 8 and you have an edge. But, what if you only have 7 outs? That’s called an inflection point. With just the blink of an eye, a turn of a card, a simple twist of fate, etc, you have a spot where 1 single digit changes the whole game. Amazing, I know. (yes I understand that certain bet sizes result in different equities so for the example here please assume all the money is already in the pot…it’s amazing the clarifications that must be made for the simpletons here)

I do not think they are frightened at all by a straight putt, simply that they recognize the margin for error is smaller. I, again, even stated that you don’t seem to give them enough credit to have the psychology to eventually pick a line, commit to it, and strike the putt. I have never once inferred they are scared.


On Tour last year there were 21,860 4 footers, 19890 were holed for an average of 90.9%
A hole is 4.25 inches wide so let’s say at a minimum the average miss is due to a 2” error meaning it at least lipped out. I’ll grant you that is speculation and I chose 4’ so that most of those would be pretty straight. Since that is 4’ and 4’ is 1/25 of 100’ that would put a PGA Tour window of results at 100’ about 4.16’. Let’s, again this is conjecture but it is based on some logic, suppose that a bogey golfer would have a window of AT LEAST 6-7 feet on either side. Of course this distribution should be relatively normal so the putts that are 7’ offline are the outliers, I certainly agree. But how many out of 100 putts that would be normally distributed over 168 inches and need to hit a 4.25 inch hole to have any chance of going in can we expect? I don’t feel like actually figuring out the number since this is all speculation, albeit pretty solid speculation, but let’s just guess there aren’t going to be many that hit the line. I’ll base the speed component on my test since NXT’s picture is of a fake experiment and I’d guess about 30% of my putts had the speed that would result in a make. So I’ll give the bogey golfer MAYBE 15%. For the sake of it I’ll note that in his fairy tale picture it looks like he has about 6 balls including the 2 in the hole that are within reasonable tolerance past the hole for 24%.

Now take the really low number of putts that will be hit online * the odds of having the correct speed and what do you get? Now compare that to the tests actually run on putts that did have break and which way does the greater than or less than hungry alligator face?

I am sorry if the ability to run a little math and thought in your head doesn’t work for you and you need to read a scientific report to come to a pretty simple conclusion. But this is all pretty straight forward, and I’d say pretty reasonable.


Again please don't criticize any basic errors, I'm not proofing this.

farewellyeship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:44 PM   #160
A-Rod's Cousin
banned
 
A-Rod's Cousin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Michelle Wie=the next Michelle Wie.
Posts: 37,168
Re: Putting prop bet: 100 tries @100ft for $100

I'm starting to wonder if you are thinking of this "straight, flat" putt as having a line that is along a ridge. Which is totally not the way you should think of it.

No, I do not want to putt a ball along the ridge of my house's roofline. Yes, it may be straight but any slight deviation left or right and it's not going in the hole.

Is this how you are thinking of the question? I certainly hope not, because it's completely unfair and academically disingenuous if so.
A-Rod's Cousin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:47 PM   #161
KenoVictoryLap
veteran
 
KenoVictoryLap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Planning a trip
Posts: 3,303
Re: Putting prop bet: 100 tries @100ft for $100

Everyone in this thread is an actual adult.
KenoVictoryLap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:58 PM   #162
A-Rod's Cousin
banned
 
A-Rod's Cousin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Michelle Wie=the next Michelle Wie.
Posts: 37,168
Re: Putting prop bet: 100 tries @100ft for $100

If Ship were on a 2-man team and his partner needed to make a putt, I wonder if he'd choose the breaker or the straight putt for him to have to make?
A-Rod's Cousin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:00 PM   #163
NxtWrldChamp
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
NxtWrldChamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: LEVEL 10
Posts: 8,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by farewellyeship View Post
My comment about in a vacuum I’d take straight refers to putts under around 15 feet, and as I’ve stated countless times, yes there is a point where there is too much break to be beneficial. Obviously this relates to NXT’s question below of “How much break does it have to have to all of a sudden be easier?” I guess at this point I am seeing more why you can’t get it. There is a concept, not really a concept as much as a quasi law I guess, called an inflection point. I now get it that you guys can only see in black or white and pass/no pass. As I’ve stated numerous times (repetition is, again, the foundation of learning) I do not think that all breaking putts are easier than straight putts. I’ve even cited the example of #9 at Augusta where a MUCH long straight putt would be easier than a much shorter breaking putt due to the severity of the break.

Back to the thought of you must be trolling or simply not even reading my comments (again, I applaud the commitment to the trolling). To make a blanket inference that I said breaking putts are easier is simply wrong. It’s not really worth beating this horse further if you won’t even use my thoughts correctly.

What I do find interesting and something the NXT siders should consider is that I called him a liar in absolutely no uncertain terms with regards to his trial. He did not refute this one bit. I am sure he will say it wasn’t worth his time, but we all know there is no chance he would let that go by without commenting. As more of you try this experiment you too will realize he did not perform it as stated. It is simply impossible to not have balls in your line after 10 putts that need to be moved to continue. If after 10 balls you don’t have some in your way that is evidence that you can not consistently hit a line and thus are a dog in this bet. Make sense? To take it one step further, he specifically laughed that I had the line after 4 rolls and said it would take 10-20 to figure out the line. Thus he does not have the ability to counter with “I knew the exact line and there weren’t any balls in the way”. Look again at his picture, the front of the hole is littered with balls. There is no chance they were not in his way. So, AGAIN, you are simply lying to attempt to help your case. That is absolutely beyond pathetic. Do I really want to win this debate at this point and have the people who still don’t get it understand? Sadly the answer clearly is yes. However at least I have not said “**** it, I’m going to lie and say I did this to show how easy it is”. That, as you would say NXT, is just pathetic.

A Rod, if you must perform a scientific experiment please perform the dead straight 45 degree angle example and see if a ball started inside right breaks right or not. I highly doubt Harvard will be doing a study on something that you can simply see in your head quite clearly.

Again, with regards to the notion that there could be bot straight putts that are easier to make, as well as certain breaking putts that are easier to make I ask you to please refer to this fuzzy math concept of an inflection point. Wikipedia makes it sound real smart calling it a principle of differential calculus. That sounds super awesome, take that to 8th grade on Monday and really wow ‘em. Let’s poker it up, if you are trailing on the flop is it possible to have a certain number of outs that makes you a favorite? Let’s say 8 and you have an edge. But, what if you only have 7 outs? That’s called an inflection point. With just the blink of an eye, a turn of a card, a simple twist of fate, etc, you have a spot where 1 single digit changes the whole game. Amazing, I know. (yes I understand that certain bet sizes result in different equities so for the example here please assume all the money is already in the pot…it’s amazing the clarifications that must be made for the simpletons here)

I do not think they are frightened at all by a straight putt, simply that they recognize the margin for error is smaller. I, again, even stated that you don’t seem to give them enough credit to have the psychology to eventually pick a line, commit to it, and strike the putt. I have never once inferred they are scared.


On Tour last year there were 21,860 4 footers, 19890 were holed for an average of 90.9%
A hole is 4.25 inches wide so let’s say at a minimum the average miss is due to a 2” error meaning it at least lipped out. I’ll grant you that is speculation and I chose 4’ so that most of those would be pretty straight. Since that is 4’ and 4’ is 1/25 of 100’ that would put a PGA Tour window of results at 100’ about 4.16’. Let’s, again this is conjecture but it is based on some logic, suppose that a bogey golfer would have a window of AT LEAST 6-7 feet on either side. Of course this distribution should be relatively normal so the putts that are 7’ offline are the outliers, I certainly agree. But how many out of 100 putts that would be normally distributed over 168 inches and need to hit a 4.25 inch hole to have any chance of going in can we expect? I don’t feel like actually figuring out the number since this is all speculation, albeit pretty solid speculation, but let’s just guess there aren’t going to be many that hit the line. I’ll base the speed component on my test since NXT’s picture is of a fake experiment and I’d guess about 30% of my putts had the speed that would result in a make. So I’ll give the bogey golfer MAYBE 15%. For the sake of it I’ll note that in his fairy tale picture it looks like he has about 6 balls including the 2 in the hole that are within reasonable tolerance past the hole for 24%.

Now take the really low number of putts that will be hit online * the odds of having the correct speed and what do you get? Now compare that to the tests actually run on putts that did have break and which way does the greater than or less than hungry alligator face?

I am sorry if the ability to run a little math and thought in your head doesn’t work for you and you need to read a scientific report to come to a pretty simple conclusion. But this is all pretty straight forward, and I’d say pretty reasonable.


Again please don't criticize any basic errors, I'm not proofing this.

Lol I definitely did the experiment. I didn't doctor any of it.

You are pathetic, calling me a liar here.

I took the picture from the angle I hit the put. All the putts just left of the hole were not in my way, and I was lazy. The ball about 3-4 feet short of the hole was literally the last ball I hit.
NxtWrldChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:11 PM   #164
NxtWrldChamp
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
NxtWrldChamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: LEVEL 10
Posts: 8,985
Lol at 6-7 feet on either side being the margin of error for a bogey golfer.

At 100 feet a bogey golfer couldn't put it inside a 12-14 foot window.

Hahahaha.
NxtWrldChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:15 PM   #165
NxtWrldChamp
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
NxtWrldChamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: LEVEL 10
Posts: 8,985
Hilariously arbitrary 15 foot cut off for straight vs breaking putts


Hahahaha Hahahaha

Totally just pulled out of thin air. No reasoning whatsoever.
NxtWrldChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:17 PM   #166
Brocktoon
Unreada Bill
 
Brocktoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 8,540
Ship,

I sent the PM to you successfully just now. Your ship-this acct is apparently unbanned.

It doesn't say much, just figured I'd let you know it's there.
Brocktoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:19 PM   #167
farewellyeship
stranger
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 8
Re: Putting prop bet: 100 tries @100ft for $100

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Rod's Cousin View Post
So playing in the US Open gives a poster carte blanche to say things like "****ing idiot" and that breaking putts are easier than straight putts and pros know this and think this, without any recourse? Got it.

I don't think anybody here told ship to leave or wants him to leave. I don't want him to leave. I think he's a pretty cool guy and I like having him here. But I think he's leaving because he can't take the hits to his ego that he's taken in this thread. That has nothing to do with us. It's pretty clear his ego has been damaged when he resorts to telling other posters he's more successful than them in the real world, which is apropos of nothing at all being discussed in the thread.
In case you hadn't noticed I had already left a month ago. I did find this thread to be an interesting question so I thought I would chime in. So my stating I am done is not an ego thing it is just that this tardthread confirmed why I left a month ago. I certainly have spent less time here in the last year as well.

You stated with no evidence at all that you think you are smarter than me so I merely thought I would point out that I am more successful than you. Nothing more than that, simply for the sake of trolling you as I even stated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Rod's Cousin View Post
I'm starting to wonder if you are thinking of this "straight, flat" putt as having a line that is along a ridge. Which is totally not the way you should think of it.

No, I do not want to putt a ball along the ridge of my house's roofline. Yes, it may be straight but any slight deviation left or right and it's not going in the hole.

Is this how you are thinking of the question? I certainly hope not, because it's completely unfair and academically disingenuous if so.
No, not along a ridge, but maybe the roof idea will help you see it. Put a hole in the middle of your roof. If you are right below it the putt will be straight up hill and dead straight. Now for the sake of clarity suppose you hit a horrible putt that starts 2 feet right. The line THAT putt is rolling on will break right further away from the hole. Now just take the exaggeration back to a reasonable push of right lip and that putt still breaks ever so slightly right. Can you grasp that? This absolute requirement that a dead straight uphill putt be hit perfectly is, AGAIN, the reason that a straight putt must be hit better than a breaking putt. For the sake of agreement, I do agree, AGAIN, that in a video game where there is no slope on a straight putt this effect is not present.

One thing about my illustration from my prior post about how small the margin is for a 100' straight putt that I forgot to note is that I derived my margin of error from a 4' foot putt. As NXT and ARod certainly agree hitting the putt hard enough to travel 100' will likely result in a larger dispersion and actually make the odds even smaller.

But having a couple putts out of 100 * the odds of having the right speed should yield like 4% in makes for a bogey golfer, ldo.
farewellyeship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:24 PM   #168
NxtWrldChamp
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
NxtWrldChamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: LEVEL 10
Posts: 8,985
You still have not addressed the scientific fact that a breaking 100 footer will have to travel "farther" than a straight 100 footer and the effect that has on your make %

Much less the geometric effect that a 105 foot putt (the breaking 100 footer) has compared to a straight 100 footer with regards to face angle margin of error.
NxtWrldChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:25 PM   #169
farewellyeship
stranger
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 8
Re: Putting prop bet: 100 tries @100ft for $100

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtWrldChamp View Post
Lol at 6-7 feet on either side being the margin of error for a bogey golfer.

At 100 feet a bogey golfer couldn't put it inside a 12-14 foot window.

Hahahaha.
Not sure if you are saying that window I used is too small or too big. The point is that the absolute outliers will be similar to the absolute outlier necessary to miss from 4 feet. But you can refer to my post above that I didn't even account for the fact 100' is > 4'
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtWrldChamp View Post
Hilariously arbitrary 15 foot cut off for straight vs breaking putts


Hahahaha Hahahaha

Totally just pulled out of thin air. No reasoning whatsoever.
Fully agree, nor did I state that was my absolute inflection point. It is an arbitrary number and I pretty sure you realize that. I just thought I would introduce you to the notion that all things are not yes/no answers. It can be one until it is the other. 100' feet rests safely on the side of "other".


I can now rest knowing that since you are back to trying to confirm you are correct by not addressing the actual posts and are just "Hahahahahahaha" you are realizing your flaws.

Good night all.
farewellyeship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:46 PM   #170
ntnBO
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,509
Re: Putting prop bet: 100 tries @100ft for $100

Ship, in all your logic and golf wisdom you haven't inserted any cute little GIF's in an attempt to make fun of those you are arguing with. This is the interwebz and that is always held in high regard. Kind of like a picture book vs. an adult novel.



BO
ntnBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:59 PM   #171
NxtWrldChamp
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
NxtWrldChamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: LEVEL 10
Posts: 8,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntnBO View Post
Ship, in all your ____ you haven't inserted any cute little GIF's in an attempt to make fun of those you are arguing with. This is the interwebz and that is always held in high regard. Kind of like a picture book vs. an adult novel.



BO
Fyp
NxtWrldChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:59 PM   #172
A-Rod's Cousin
banned
 
A-Rod's Cousin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Michelle Wie=the next Michelle Wie.
Posts: 37,168
Re: Putting prop bet: 100 tries @100ft for $100

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtWrldChamp View Post
Lol I definitely did the experiment. I didn't doctor any of it.

You are pathetic, calling me a liar here.

I took the picture from the angle I hit the put. All the putts just left of the hole were not in my way, and I was lazy. The ball about 3-4 feet short of the hole was literally the last ball I hit.
Seriously. Why the hell would you need to clear balls? As long as you had like a 6" path from you to the hole you can keep banging them. Any putt that hits a ball doesn't matter because it was clearly off-line and not coming back. And some (most, all?) of the putts that you hit on line went into the hole and are thus not in the way anymore.

The only real reason you should move balls is so that you don't have any extraneous visual guide (two balls to hit between) but that's not even Ship's contention. His contention is that you clearly didn't do the experiment because you didn't clear all the balls that were not at all in the way. His detective skills are unparalleled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtWrldChamp View Post
Hilariously arbitrary 15 foot cut off for straight vs breaking putts
Saw this. Ignored it. Wanted to laugh at its complete arbitrary character but at this point who the **** cares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farewellyeship View Post
In case you hadn't noticed I had already left a month ago.
I hadn't noticed because I pretty much left a couple months ago as well. Got tired of all the ex-pros around here swinging their dicks around thinking they are right about everything.

Quote:

You stated with no evidence at all that you think you are smarter than me so I merely thought I would point out that I am more successful than you. Nothing more than that, simply for the sake of trolling you as I even stated.
The only reason I brought it up is because you called me a ****ing idiot out of nowhere. Then I said I was smarter than you and you dug the hole deeper and went for "well I am more successful!" whatever that means. Quite embarrassing. But if you want to put up $1,000 to my $1,000 and take an IQ test next time you are on a mini-tour in Houston let me know. If you beat me my $1K will go to a charity of your choosing.

Quote:
No, not along a ridge, but maybe the roof idea will help you see it. Put a hole in the middle of your roof. If you are right below it the putt will be straight up hill and dead straight. Now for the sake of clarity suppose you hit a horrible putt that starts 2 feet right. The line THAT putt is rolling on will break right further away from the hole. Now just take the exaggeration back to a reasonable push of right lip and that putt still breaks ever so slightly right. Can you grasp that? This absolute requirement that a dead straight uphill putt be hit perfectly is, AGAIN, the reason that a straight putt must be hit better than a breaking putt.
Yes I understand how gravity will pull the ball right until it hits an apex then it will start rolling down the roof and eventually roll in a straight line down the roof and off. This same principle (gravity) is in place on breakers, too, you know. You are drastically underestimating the number of times you lip out on the amateur side of a breaker due to an under-hit.

Quote:
One thing about my illustration from my prior post about how small the margin is for a 100' straight putt that I forgot to note is that I derived my margin of error from a 4' foot putt. As NXT and ARod certainly agree hitting the putt hard enough to travel 100' will likely result in a larger dispersion and actually make the odds even smaller.
I'm not too awful interested in the 100' putt debate. I think it's really hard and honestly have no idea if I could make 1 or more out of 100. I agree with you that you have to hit this putt extremely precisely for it to go in.

Quote:
But having a couple putts out of 100 * the odds of having the right speed should yield like 4% in makes for a bogey golfer, ldo.
I have no idea what this means and didn't say it. Don't really care to get dragged into this portion of the debate. We would have to run several trials of this to get any kind of decent representation. The number of trials so far (a few?) are not enough imo to draw any substantial conclusion from.

But I do know a 100 foot putt that breaks is not any damn easier to make than a 100 foot putt that does not break.
A-Rod's Cousin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:59 PM   #173
NxtWrldChamp
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
NxtWrldChamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: LEVEL 10
Posts: 8,985
Moron elitist
NxtWrldChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:00 AM   #174
NxtWrldChamp
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
NxtWrldChamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: LEVEL 10
Posts: 8,985
I could hit a 12-14 foot window from 100 feet blindfolded
NxtWrldChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:21 AM   #175
Your Boss
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,821
Re: Putting prop bet: 100 tries @100ft for $100

Quote:
Originally Posted by farewellyeship View Post
My comment about in a vacuum I’d take straight refers to putts under around 15 feet, and as I’ve stated countless times, yes there is a point where there is too much break to be beneficial. Obviously this relates to NXT’s question below of “How much break does it have to have to all of a sudden be easier?” I guess at this point I am seeing more why you can’t get it. There is a concept, not really a concept as much as a quasi law I guess, called an inflection point. I now get it that you guys can only see in black or white and pass/no pass. As I’ve stated numerous times (repetition is, again, the foundation of learning) I do not think that all breaking putts are easier than straight putts. I’ve even cited the example of #9 at Augusta where a MUCH long straight putt would be easier than a much shorter breaking putt due to the severity of the break.
)

http://www.researchgate.net/publicat...f7fe948540.pdf

There's some real life data on how a breaking putt affects performance.
Your Boss is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online