Originally Posted by Yarbles
Anybody at club marena? Any thoughts
Never been inside the gated Club Marena complex, but I live about 100 yards north of it so I'll comment. It's located at K38, the premier lazy old man style surf break in Rosarita. It's on the south end of the surf point which is absolutely inaccessible to any one who doesn't live there. Being on the south end of the point is huge if you surf or want to learn. It saves about 20 minutes of paddling and 5 mins of walking round trip.
Club Marena is definitely luxury condos. Not sure of all the amenities, but there's a ton like a pool and tennis courts. I've heard that the internet is amazing there. I get 1mb/s just a little north, but I've heard Club Marena get's almost the full 10mb/s. People with money got pull in Mexico.
Since K38 has been a very well known surfbreak for a long time, there's lots of stuff right there. I'd estimate a 10 minute walk from Club Morena will get you to the mini shopping center located north of the point. The following shops are there:
1) A basic mom and pop convenient store.
2) Taco Surf: Bad ass $1 al pastor and carne asada taco stand. Very popular and very fast. Place is built for speed and volume.
3) Fish taco stand: Hands down the most amazing place in the area. Super high quality fish tacos (shrimp, fish, lobster, pulpo, crab, ceviche, and whatever else the old man finds that's fresh and awesome). $1.50-$2 a taco.
4) K38 restuarant: It's the only real sit down restaurant within walking distance. The foods just standard mexican. Nothing fancy, not great, but decent, a little hit or miss sometimes. But if u want chips and awesome salsa, drinks, and a regular restaurant environment, it fits the bill. Has a great outside bar with cable TV for watching sports.
5) Another small shack which serves breakfast that I've never been to, but my roommate loves.
6) Surf shop
I don't know if any poker players live there, but there's a ton at Calafia (like 2km north) and a few of us in between. Takes about a 10-15 minute drive to get to south Rosarita where everyone lives. A $5 cab ride or $1 on the collectivo. Basically, Club Morena is the highest end luxury condo your going to get that's not in town, but really close to it.