Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Travel A place to discuss and learn about traveling

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2016, 04:09 AM   #201
kick2dante
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,773
Re: Indonesia & Jakarta

how much money you have has little to do with whether carrying $1500 on you is smart or not, you are putting your life at risk, not just your money


of course anyone would pay the $300 BGP, we are just saying that starting at $300 is the dumb part, third world cop would be doing jumping jacks over making $100 out of it

Last edited by kick2dante; 08-02-2016 at 04:11 AM. Reason: when and where next time have 5k please
kick2dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:18 AM   #202
LonelyBox
 
LonelyBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 4,699
Re: Indonesia & Jakarta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrassplayer View Post
but it's hard to tell what is keyboard warrioring and what is real in travel sometimes.
Some are keyboard warrior, some are wallet warrior
LonelyBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:21 AM   #203
LonelyBox
 
LonelyBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 4,699
Re: Indonesia & Jakarta

Quote:
Originally Posted by kick2dante View Post
how much money you have has little to do with whether carrying $1500 on you is smart or not, you are putting your life at risk, not just your money
I laugh so much at this. You really were a busto your whole life? Never made business before? Or you never played live poker at stakes higher than 1-2? Everyday in the street you'll walk next to people carrying more than $1500 on them, you just won't know, because it's not written in their face.
LonelyBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:25 AM   #204
jspill
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: IG
Posts: 7,853
Re: Indonesia & Jakarta

Err have you heard of debit cards.
jspill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:28 AM   #205
LonelyBox
 
LonelyBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 4,699
Re: Indonesia & Jakarta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspill View Post
Err have you heard of debit cards
Of course I had and when I travel I always use my CC to pay when I can or to get some cash out of ATM. But sometimes there is situation in life that you need large amount of liquidity. (I'm not saying it was the case for lol69)

Also, I'm sure you can play the 1-2-4 game at River King with a credit card, lol...
LonelyBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:35 AM   #206
jspill
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: IG
Posts: 7,853
Re: Indonesia & Jakarta

I dont play live poker why are we using that rare exception that applies to a fraction of people in the world in a general discussion about carrying money.
jspill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:42 AM   #207
LonelyBox
 
LonelyBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 4,699
Re: Indonesia & Jakarta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspill View Post
I dont play live poker why are we using that rare exception that applies to a fraction of people in the world in a general discussion about carrying money.
Because this is a poker forum and not thaivisa forum?

List of time I have to carry more than 1000$ in cash:

-For convinience I like to have liquidity at home/hotel, so walking from ATM to my room...
-Poker
-Business
-Dominatrix session
-Buying second hand expensive item
LonelyBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:43 AM   #208
jspill
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: IG
Posts: 7,853
Re: Indonesia & Jakarta

Its the travel section, its about girls, no poker in Indo
Just use bank transfer
jspill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:48 AM   #209
LonelyBox
 
LonelyBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 4,699
Re: Indonesia & Jakarta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspill View Post
Its the travel section, its about girls, no poker in Indo
Just use bank transfer
Bank transfer? Never used that in my life in Western country, won't start using it in Asia. Anyways doesn't seems like it's worth arguing against jspill and k2d.
LonelyBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:15 AM   #210
kick2dante
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,773
Re: Indonesia & Jakarta

especially when you agree that trolol wasn't in one of those rare situations where he needed to carry $1500 on him and are just arguing to argue

sure, there are times where I have had $2k in my pocket before..... and i quickly got it to a safe place

flying to the other side of the world and having it on you at all times when it is half a years average salary is really dumb
kick2dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:37 AM   #211
Bluegrassplayer
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Bluegrassplayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: China
Posts: 32,333
Re: Indonesia & Jakarta

Not arguing for or against that. I have no idea why he had the money on him. In a vacuum carrying 5k usd on you in Manila is incredibly stupid.

I'm more concerned with the other part: once you are in that situation for whatever reason getting out immediately is the most important thing, not trying to save a few hundred dollars.
Bluegrassplayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:44 AM   #212
jspill
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: IG
Posts: 7,853
Re: Indonesia & Jakarta

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyBox View Post
Bank transfer? Never used that in my life in Western country, won't start using it in Asia. Anyways doesn't seems like it's worth arguing against jspill and k2d.
We were debating, then you got heated for some reason and started calling k2d busto for not carrying around $1500+ a bunch of times... sure there are super rare exceptions like live poker but you're not gonna 'pass people on the street carrying that much everyday'... unless you walk past tons of people in a city and theyre on the way from an ATM to where theyre about to spend it minutes later.
jspill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:47 AM   #213
jspill
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: IG
Posts: 7,853
Re: Indonesia & Jakarta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrassplayer View Post
I'm more concerned with the other part: once you are in that situation for whatever reason getting out immediately is the most important thing, not trying to save a few hundred dollars.
They didnt pull a gun/knife on him it was all words so its totally subjective as to what the actual situation was, you wouldnt instantly hand over $300 when a corrupt policeman first utters those words.
jspill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:54 AM   #214
kick2dante
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,773
Re: Indonesia & Jakarta

they saw a fish and played their hand well
kick2dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:55 AM   #215
Bluegrassplayer
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Bluegrassplayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: China
Posts: 32,333
Re: Indonesia & Jakarta

My understanding is it was several people and he was in the middle of nowhere. The threat is there, they really don't need to have any weapons and I certainly wouldn't want to find out if they did.
Bluegrassplayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:10 AM   #216
ITT666
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,663
Re: Indonesia & Jakarta

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyBox View Post
Because this is a poker forum and not thaivisa forum?

List of time I have to carry more than 1000$ in cash:

-For convinience I like to have liquidity at home/hotel, so walking from ATM to my room...
-Poker
-Business
-Dominatrix session
-Buying second hand expensive item
A single session with a dominatrix is costing you $1,000+ in the third world?
ITT666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:19 AM   #217
jspill
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: IG
Posts: 7,853
Re: Indonesia & Jakarta

Well at first they asked for $5000 at what precise point is it 'the most busto thing you ever heard' to not immediately hand over money to keystone cops because you perceive some threat.

To me it's not even about the money just personal pride, I have had a knife pulled on me for standing up to a corrupt taxi driver over $1.50
jspill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:43 AM   #218
LonelyBox
 
LonelyBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 4,699
Re: Indonesia & Jakarta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspill View Post
We were debating, then you got heated for some reason and started calling k2d busto for not carrying around $1500+ a bunch of times...
Yes I called him a busto, because walking around with 1k+ is something I've done regularly in my life for multiple reasons since I'm 14 years old and for people around me it's pretty standard. But for k2d, the way he said it in his earlier post sounded like it was ridiculous/stupid/not likely or whatever. So I assumed he was busto.

Maybe I should apologize to k2d?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITT666 View Post
A single session with a dominatrix is costing you $1,000+ in the third world?
Yes, for long session. FWIW there is only one dominatrix worth your time in SEA (I'm not including China in south east asia) and she's in BKK.
LonelyBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:10 AM   #219
Bluegrassplayer
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Bluegrassplayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: China
Posts: 32,333
Re: Indonesia & Jakarta

Here's the way I see it: 99% chance of getting out of the situation by handing over x money or 98% chance of getting out of it by handing over x - 200. If that 200 dollars is worth any % of your life then that's pretty busto.

If it's a pride thing then that's another life leak Imo.
Bluegrassplayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:16 AM   #220
lol69
veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,031
Re: Indonesia & Jakarta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrassplayer View Post
Here's the way I see it: 99% chance of getting out of the situation by handing over x money or 98% chance of getting out of it by handing over x - 200. If that 200 dollars is worth any % of your life then that's pretty busto.

If it's a pride thing then that's another life leak Imo.
throw in the fact i had a plane i needed to be on as well.
lol69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:23 AM   #221
lol69
veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,031
Re: Indonesia & Jakarta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspill View Post
So i assume from jokey reply that you had no flight insurance, tut tut.

Also you posted you like to stay in $15 hotels, so no hotel taxi service that would stick up for you when stopped because their reputation is on the line.
it was about $25. i don't see the point of spending more when i can get one which is clean, comfortable and in a convenient location for $25. i don't have anyone to impress in jakarta. cover and one beer at alexis cost as much as my hotel.

Quote:
Maybe your taxi from a cheap part of town was even in on the scam.
could have been. it was a bluebird cab though.

Quote:
If you can't afford insurance and reputable taxis / uber you can't afford to travel.
i never bother with insurance for missed flights, missing luggage, etc. i come out ahead in the long run. i just have medical coverage.

Quote:
Just got to the airport now, nothing went awry, felt safe the whole trip and the locals did seem (even more) friendlier than Thais.
in three days in jakarta i had two men fail trying to pickpocket me and police extort me. i find indonesians to be nosy people who don't respect personal space and in general hate white foreigners on some level.

thais hate foreigners too, but their women are much nicer and don't wear hijabs. jakarta women that don't wear hijabs probably should.

also, indonesians aren't as clean or hygenic as thais. they're a dirty people.
lol69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:33 AM   #222
lol69
veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,031
Re: Indonesia & Jakarta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspill View Post
Err have you heard of debit cards.
i only use cash in south-east asia.

they cop had no idea what i had on me. that's why i only gave up 400k rupiah not the equivalent of 2mm rupiah i had on me.

if they knew they wouldn't have taken most of it.
lol69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:38 AM   #223
lol69
veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,031
Re: Indonesia & Jakarta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrassplayer View Post
My understanding is it was several people and he was in the middle of nowhere. The threat is there, they really don't need to have any weapons and I certainly wouldn't want to find out if they did.
if i wasn't going to comply, the next step i imagine would be saying we hope we don't find drugs on you in the station (ie. they plant drugs on me).

they were already getting ticked off that it had taken 15 minutes. considering the circumstances and the amount of negotiating i did well to go down to 400k rupiah.
lol69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:06 AM   #224
LonelyBox
 
LonelyBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 4,699
Re: Indonesia & Jakarta

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol69 View Post
throw in the fact i had a plane i needed to be on as well.
I thought you had flight insurance
LonelyBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:44 AM   #225
Getabagin
banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 75
Re: Indonesia & Jakarta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspill View Post
Well at first they asked for $5000 at what precise point is it 'the most busto thing you ever heard' to not immediately hand over money to keystone cops because you perceive some threat.

To me it's not even about the money just personal pride, I have had a knife pulled on me for standing up to a corrupt taxi driver over $1.50
Was waiting how long it would be before jspill told everyone how tough he thinks he is. Obv he wouldn't pay off corrupt cops because he'd just UFC them all down.
Getabagin is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online