Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Travel A place to discuss and learn about traveling

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2009, 04:39 AM   #426
miyamotomusashi
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 75
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

not working
miyamotomusashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:53 AM   #427
slimbob
adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Berlin, Germany
Posts: 718
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

the 2 is for manila so no 2 if u call a mobile

Try 00639xxxxx
slimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:37 PM   #428
yoyo
centurion
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 193
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex23 View Post
Hey, between fort, legaspi (makati), salcedo (makati), and rockwell what is the ordering for cheapest to most expensive?
Salcedo < Legaspi < Fort < Rockwell (rockwell most expensive)
yoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:01 AM   #429
geo8o2
old hand
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,365
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

what reliable poker sites are available to the philippines. other than stars and ft.
geo8o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:37 AM   #430
sooraw
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 275
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

as far as i know all sites except ipoker works
sooraw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:28 AM   #431
tyroneb
newbie
 
tyroneb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 31
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

Hi!
If any 2+2er is coming to Boracay is looking for a place to stay, PM me. I and 2 other finnish guys just rented a 4 bedroom house for a month here in Boracay, so we have an extra bedroom.We have a landline internet so grinding should be easy. We are pretty much busto and are playing 20-100nl and one of us is playing telesina only so don't contact us if You can't stand us steaming over badbeats worth of happymeals :P.. The house is really nice, I'll try to take some photos tomorrow..
PM me if interested.
tyroneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:10 AM   #432
geo8o2
old hand
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,365
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyroneb View Post
Hi!
If any 2+2er is coming to Boracay is looking for a place to stay, PM me. I and 2 other finnish guys just rented a 4 bedroom house for a month here in Boracay, so we have an extra bedroom.We have a landline internet so grinding should be easy. We are pretty much busto and are playing 20-100nl and one of us is playing telesina only so don't contact us if You can't stand us steaming over badbeats worth of happymeals :P.. The house is really nice, I'll try to take some photos tomorrow..
PM me if interested.
how much?
geo8o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:31 PM   #433
alex23
veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 1st world obv
Posts: 2,962
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

Hi does anyone know of any online short term rental agencies for manila? I am moving there on the 12th and had booked an apartment through Oswego Inc. (http://www.oswegoinc.com/) for my first month but then I looked up reviews of the building and apparently it's awful. I need a place from the 13th of April to Jun 1st, when I will move with another friend into a 2 br place, and of course internet being included in the room is absolutely necessary. I'm only looking for agencies not private offers. Any suggestions? Given that I get in on the 13th of April I've got to find something fairly quickly.
alex23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:56 PM   #434
Tyrese Sebastian
newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Makati
Posts: 49
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex23 View Post
Hi does anyone know of any online short term rental agencies for manila? I am moving there on the 12th and had booked an apartment through Oswego Inc. (http://www.oswegoinc.com/) for my first month but then I looked up reviews of the building and apparently it's awful. I need a place from the 13th of April to Jun 1st, when I will move with another friend into a 2 br place, and of course internet being included in the room is absolutely necessary. I'm only looking for agencies not private offers. Any suggestions? Given that I get in on the 13th of April I've got to find something fairly quickly.
What apartment did you book?
Tyrese Sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:39 AM   #435
checkminraise
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 65
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

hey guys... im gonna be heading out to Philippines in june and am booked to stay for 3 months but probably will stay for longer... i have dual citizenship so its not a problem.

Anyway i have a few questions...

how much / how easy is it to set up an internet connection with a local service provider like smart or globe and is there like a minimum term on the contract like 6months or something?

also

i heard ipoker skins are blocked in the Philippines but i heard that if you have the software already downloaded on your laptop you will be fine... can anyone confirm or deny?

gonna spend half my time in davao and the other half in manila...

i usually only spend between 1-2 months in philippines and its normally in davao with family so never really had to check things like this out.
checkminraise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:46 PM   #436
LocustHorde
adept
 
LocustHorde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 3rd and long
Posts: 1,170
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

Quick question about the peak of the rainy season. Is it constant rain and clouds all day or is it mostly sunny with the occasional deluge of heavy rainfall?
LocustHorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:30 PM   #437
sooraw
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 275
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkminraise View Post
hey guys... im gonna be heading out to Philippines in june and am booked to stay for 3 months but probably will stay for longer... i have dual citizenship so its not a problem.

Anyway i have a few questions...

how much / how easy is it to set up an internet connection with a local service provider like smart or globe and is there like a minimum term on the contract like 6months or something?

also

i heard ipoker skins are blocked in the Philippines but i heard that if you have the software already downloaded on your laptop you will be fine... can anyone confirm or deny?

gonna spend half my time in davao and the other half in manila...

i usually only spend between 1-2 months in philippines and its normally in davao with family so never really had to check things like this out.
its 12 months minimum contract for internet regardless of provider...
and ipoker does not work
sooraw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 04:15 PM   #438
Paul B.
handsome
 
Paul B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: 3rd world
Posts: 7,799
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

I pay month-to-month for SkyCable, and I know PLDT has contracts available for less than a year.
Paul B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:40 AM   #439
TelevisedEvent
grinder
 
TelevisedEvent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 600
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

As far as people going to the Philippines, and playing poker full time, is there anyone interested in doing this long term? Or do you guys just have short stays?

I work as an accountant, I'm getting sick of the 9-5 grind. I don't make a ton of money playing poker, but probably enough to get by there playing as a career.

I know its definitely a transition in lifestyle, but does anyone see it as a long term move? Or are the conditions there just too tough to put up with for anything longer than a few years?
TelevisedEvent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:53 AM   #440
bkkdude
banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,572
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

seems philipinos want to get out, that should tell you something.


isee it as a short time adventure.
bkkdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:36 AM   #441
freedom18
adept
 
freedom18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 1,142
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

Woot going there next month, anyone gunna b there on May 9th NIGHT in manila ?
freedom18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:13 PM   #442
alex23
veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 1st world obv
Posts: 2,962
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom18 View Post
Woot going there next month, anyone gunna b there on May 9th NIGHT in manila ?
Hey dude, I'll be around. I'm leaving from Zurich to go to Manila next weekend and staying a while. You get in on May 9 or?
alex23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:40 AM   #443
freedom18
adept
 
freedom18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 1,142
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

ya staying only one day tho but its a saturday night lol
freedom18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:53 AM   #444
koolwhynot2
enthusiast
 
koolwhynot2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 72
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

http://www.globalnanpa.com/blog/?p=14

that is all. i am planning a Philippines trip asap
koolwhynot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:10 AM   #445
slimbob
adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Berlin, Germany
Posts: 718
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

I am looking for a unfurnished studio/appartment close to The Fort/Global City

I start to work at this place next month but unfortunately this place is to expensive.

I┤ve read that one or members already live here so may be you can recommend a cheaper area nearby like Pasig City or Pateros if you know this area.

Any advice is highly appreciated!
slimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:13 AM   #446
sooraw
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 275
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimbob View Post
I am looking for a unfurnished studio/appartment close to The Fort/Global City

I start to work at this place next month but unfortunately this place is to expensive.

I┤ve read that one or members already live here so may be you can recommend a cheaper area nearby like Pasig City or Pateros if you know this area.

Any advice is highly appreciated!
whats your budget?
sooraw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:32 AM   #447
alex23
veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 1st world obv
Posts: 2,962
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

So if I'm going to be there, can I open a bank account w/an international bank over there (ala hsbc/citi/etc)? Would this be a bad/good idea? Also will that make me a resident for tax purposes?
alex23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:02 PM   #448
yoyo
centurion
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 193
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex23 View Post
So if I'm going to be there, can I open a bank account w/an international bank over there (ala hsbc/citi/etc)? Would this be a bad/good idea? Also will that make me a resident for tax purposes?
Citibank no. They will require an ACR (Alien Certificate of Registration) - too hard / expensive to get unless you really know the right person I guess (which I didn't).

HSBC yes. You can open accounts in any currency and transact as you wish. You can open a Peso account but you can't deposit peso into your account (if you want to withdraw Peso from that account, you'll need to convert another currency). If it sounds like it makes no sense, that's because it really doesn't. It's something to do with money-laundering concerns, but you'd have to be a pretty stupid money-launderer or criminal to not know someone to convert your Peso to USD in greater Manila.

Although my HSBC Premier acc manager said she would accept Peso cash deposits if I produced a letter from a casino or cardroom saying I won the money. I never got around to getting the paperwork though.

--------

Disclaimer: I've had my HSBC PowerVantage account closed without official reason in 2007 (although a staff member said something about money-laundering concerns over incoming wire transfers). Then late 2008 my HSBC Premier account was closed and all funds had to be emptied instantly - no reasons were given as to the reason for the closure when I asked for them.

So banking in the Philippines involves a level of tilt, but if you have problems with lack of logic in everyday life and/or tilt, this is probably not the country for you.

It's hot in other ways though. Yes, a lot of Filipinos want to leave, but that's for economic reasons as the Philippines is one of the poorest countries on the planet and ravaged by poverty. If you are not destitute, and accept that a lot of day-to-day errands and whatnot are mind-blowingly inefficient, painstakingly slow, doused with incompetence, etc then you'll almost certainly have a good time. Just know what you're getting yourself into before you start committing yourself with purchasing expensive furniture or assets.
yoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:44 PM   #449
slimbob
adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Berlin, Germany
Posts: 718
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

Quote:
whats your budget?
15000 peso/month without additional charges (electric etc.)
slimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:13 PM   #450
aarono2690
Pooh-Bah
 
aarono2690's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: "janitor and restroom attendant" MN
Posts: 3,535
Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

My aunt is mailorder from philipines.

What questions do you have? She can speak Tagalog as well.
aarono2690 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.33 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ę 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online