Originally Posted by JohnnyFondue
How do you deal with a mismatch when you are playing man on man?
On defense or offense?
For defense in a 5 on 5 game:
If the guy is smaller and quicker than I am I will try to do a few things:
1) Stay in front by anticipating the spot he's gonna go to and cheating off a bit.
2) Try to bait him into a long or mid-range 2.
3) Contest the shot even though I'm never close enough to block it - if possible get as much of my hand in between his eyes and the basket.
If I know he's a good 3 point shooter or I find that out, then I essentially front his 3 shot and take it away and make him go to wherever I think our D is better. If I'm guarding this guy for the whole game, I let my team know what I'm doing or I switch up taking away the 3 and giving up the 3, kind of dancing back and forth just a bit to keep him off balance.
If the guy is bigger than me I do a mini-fist pump b/c I really like playing guys bigger than I am.
1) I won't let them set up on the block when running downcourt.
2) If they get kind of set up I may decide not to front, but I probably try to front.
3) I try to keep them off balance by applying pressure somewhere on a part of their body I don't intend to guard. (Like if I expect a move to their right, I cheat that way but put pressure on their other side to entice them).
4) I body "foul" at several points when they have the ball but they are dubious fouls that can't or don't get called in pickup. This is also called "being physical" except I don't try to go strength vs. strength or play them straight up in the mismatch.
I wish I knew more "dirty" type things to get people more off balance or hook without them realizing it or whatever. But I don't even know how to do these things and don't commit almost any fouls not on the actual shot release. So when I say "foul" above, it's not something that gets called, but I say that b/c if the player was releasing his shot, it probably would get called. If that makes sense. But I don't know how to truly shove, hook, step on feet, set a nasty screen on purpose, etc. It may sound bad but some of those things I wish I knew b/c I'm pretty sure it happens to me in games and is never called.
On offense in a mismatch I usually pass the ball or spaz out with some post move and get a maybe okay shot off, lol. But then I get the offensive rebound so it's okay,