Originally Posted by That Foreign Guy
Today I became the guy at the gym who offers unsolicited advice.
There was a young kid, maybe 18ish, who I've seen a couple times, he acts like he's never quite sure what he's doing.
He's doing behind the neck pulldowns so I explain to him that it's likely to **** up his shoulders. He seems grateful and then asks what muscles the lat pulldown is supposed to work.
I figure given it's actually a dangerous exercise it's not douchey to step in, right?
I think that's pretty douchey...
i choose not to do behind the neck stuff but imo they aren't nearly dangerous enough to justify going out of your way to tell some guy not to do them. yeah there are some warnings against them on the internet, but how many people have actually injured themselves?
you have to be really sure of yourself for unsolicited gym advice to ever not be douchey. people dont want to feel like their workouts are being judged. I know I'm like that, I've been given advice twice in gyms... and both times it came from guys much weaker and less experienced than me!
a fat guy was telling me to go lighter on bb rows and use less momentum... go **** yourself fat guy, yeah you read that on the internet but ive been lifting for years and doing pretty good for myself.
and a skinny guy was telling me to use a more complete ROM on my lat pulldowns... go **** yourself skinny guy, i do use complete ROM 90% of the time and dont feel like explaining myself if you catch me during the other 10% of the time.
mind your own business, guys
if you think some guy is using too short of a ROM or whatever... does it really matter to you? theres a 1% chance your advice will be appreciated, so just think about your own workout