Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

EDF Interesting discussion of any and all topics, including Current Events, Entertainment, Politics, Art & Literature, Career, Hobbies, Lifestyle, Travel, Sports, and Gambling. Posts are expected to be intelligent, interesting, and respectful.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2009, 10:26 PM   #126
moosehog
centurion
 
moosehog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Rockin' the coke can
Posts: 184
Re: Let's Talk Watches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounder JoeRocK View Post
The Cartier Balloon Bleu de Cartier watch is my ideal watch.... mad beautiful and sick.
Check it out

http://www.cartier.com/en_na/Cartier
[ ] good looking
[ ] good quality craftsmanship
[x] Made by gay frenchmen
moosehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:45 PM   #127
stinkypete
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
stinkypete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: somewhere
Posts: 13,637
Re: Let's Talk Watches

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibbs View Post
Mullers are one premium brand that I wish were some quirky cheap few hundred dollar watch company
i like that they're ridiculously expensive... it makes it easy to identify the rich people with no taste
stinkypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:04 AM   #128
ohaithere
adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 770
Re: Let's Talk Watches

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehog View Post
[ ] good looking
[ ] good quality craftsmanship
[x] Made by gay frenchmen
it's a beautiful watch the ballon bleu. cartier watches are of high quality and finish is of an extremely high standard. the ballon bleu uses an eta movement, but you can't hold that against it - despite many iwc fan boys and the like doing so. get a clue.
ohaithere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:22 AM   #129
xPros
enthusiast
 
xPros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 78
Re: Let's Talk Watches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Warbucks View Post
Where do people recommend for watch shopping in vegas? I know people have trashed tourneau here before, but it's been the most visually impressive shop I've seen so far, and the people have been really approachable, much more than the store in the palazzo(?). Is there other places I should check out to pick up a ~5k watch?
I had a great experience at Roman Times in the Forum Shopps. Much smaller than Tourneau, but very friendly and great customer service. If they have what you are interested in I think they are hard to beat.
xPros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:09 AM   #130
dibbs
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,341
Re: Let's Talk Watches

Just found myself staring at this, jaaaacked up Reverso

dibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:53 AM   #131
chisness
Pooh-Bah
 
chisness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4,676
Re: Let's Talk Watches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Warbucks View Post
Where do people recommend for watch shopping in vegas? I know people have trashed tourneau here before, but it's been the most visually impressive shop I've seen so far, and the people have been really approachable, much more than the store in the palazzo(?). Is there other places I should check out to pick up a ~5k watch?
DW, check out Alan Furman: http://www.alanmarcusco.com/. They have a good rep but I have never bought from them before. They seem to have the best prices around. I think their stuff is gray market which means you won't get the official warranty, but you will get a warranty from the seller.
chisness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:59 PM   #132
pvn
King Emeritus
 
pvn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: De-Green BruceZ for Great Justice
Posts: 65,522
Re: Let's Talk Watches

Not a watch, but a pretty sweet clock:

http://www.mikemak.com/mike/main_2.php?id=11
pvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:07 PM   #133
pvn
King Emeritus
 
pvn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: De-Green BruceZ for Great Justice
Posts: 65,522
Re: Let's Talk Watches

In other watch news, I just got one of these:



Seiko SLT077. This is a quartz piece, but it has the 8F56 movement with is +/- 20 seconds per year, and it has 10-year battery life. It's basically the highest-accuracy quartz piece you can get that is not thermocompensated (i.e. $$$$). The SLT077 has been discontinued for a while now, but you can get the SBQJ015 for under $500. The SBQJ015 is somewhat nicer, as it has a DLC-coated titanium case and bracelet.
pvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:35 PM   #134
JarvisLa
centurion
 
JarvisLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 131
Re: Let's Talk Watches

Ok, so I want a watch that doesn't look cheap, but I can wear everyday. My wrists are quite small though and I only have about £500 or $750 to spend.

Suggestions?
JarvisLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:46 PM   #135
pvn
King Emeritus
 
pvn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: De-Green BruceZ for Great Justice
Posts: 65,522
Re: Let's Talk Watches

Need more information. Do you want something dressy/sporty/diver-style? How much wear and tear are you expecting to subject this to? Do you care about quartz vs. mechanical? Blingy or more reserved? etc.
pvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:14 PM   #136
JarvisLa
centurion
 
JarvisLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 131
Re: Let's Talk Watches

Ok, I guess more of a dressy style, but for everyday use, so it has to be able to take quite a bit of wear and tear. Don't really care about quartz vs. mechanical, I'm a complete idiot when it comes to watches and have no clue so I don't really care about that stuff at the moment as long as it looks good. I don't want it like super blingy and make me look like a complete tool, just something that looks classy and not tacky or cheap.
JarvisLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:17 PM   #137
xPros
enthusiast
 
xPros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 78
Re: Let's Talk Watches

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvn View Post
Seiko SLT077. This is a quartz piece, but it has the 8F56 movement with is +/- 20 seconds per year, and it has 10-year battery life. It's basically the highest-accuracy quartz piece you can get that is not thermocompensated (i.e. $$$$). The SLT077 has been discontinued for a while now, but you can get the SBQJ015 for under $500. The SBQJ015 is somewhat nicer, as it has a DLC-coated titanium case and bracelet.
Nice. I love that it's that accurate. That's as amazing to me as some of these great mechanical movements.

Like the clock, but could be tilt-inducing.
xPros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:46 PM   #138
MEb
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MEb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 23,986
Re: Let's Talk Watches

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarvisLa View Post
Ok, I guess more of a dressy style, but for everyday use, so it has to be able to take quite a bit of wear and tear. Don't really care about quartz vs. mechanical, I'm a complete idiot when it comes to watches and have no clue so I don't really care about that stuff at the moment as long as it looks good. I don't want it like super blingy and make me look like a complete tool, just something that looks classy and not tacky or cheap.
http://www.worldlux.com/cgi-bin/navi...&method=search

What do you think of something like that? List price of $995, but I'd bet you can get it for your $750 or even a bit less.
MEb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:57 PM   #139
pvn
King Emeritus
 
pvn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: De-Green BruceZ for Great Justice
Posts: 65,522
Re: Let's Talk Watches

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEbenhoe View Post
http://www.worldlux.com/cgi-bin/navi...&method=search

What do you think of something like that? List price of $995, but I'd bet you can get it for your $750 or even a bit less.
Looks like a pretty solid, safe choice, but at "only" 37mm it's on the small side (given today's standards, 37mm would be basically "standard" size ten years ago but now that's like an extra small).

In that price range I'm liking the Glycine I linked above (post #70) more and more (a good friend of mine has that piece and it's really nice). It's a manual wind which would annoy some people but there's lots in that Incursore range.
pvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:02 PM   #140
MEb
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MEb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 23,986
Re: Let's Talk Watches

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvn View Post
Looks like a pretty solid, safe choice, but at "only" 37mm it's on the small side (given today's standards, 37mm would be basically "standard" size ten years ago but now that's like an extra small).
I was actually looking for something specifically in the 37 mm range since he said his wrists are "quite small".
MEb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:32 PM   #141
JarvisLa
centurion
 
JarvisLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 131
Re: Let's Talk Watches

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEbenhoe View Post
http://www.worldlux.com/cgi-bin/navi...&method=search

What do you think of something like that? List price of $995, but I'd bet you can get it for your $750 or even a bit less.
It's not bad, a little too plain for me though I think. I know I said I didn't want it too blingy but I want it to stand out a little bit at least.

I think I prefer this over that one, but I'm not overly sure on this one either. Just one I came across.

Oh yeah my budget could probably go up by another $250 if really needed.

JarvisLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:35 PM   #142
pvn
King Emeritus
 
pvn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: De-Green BruceZ for Great Justice
Posts: 65,522
Re: Let's Talk Watches

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarvisLa View Post
It's not bad, a little too plain for me though I think. I know I said I didn't want it too blingy but I want it to stand out a little bit at least.

I think I prefer this over that one, but I'm not overly sure on this one either. Just one I came across.

Oh yeah my budget could probably go up by another $250 if really needed.

If you don't mind going japanese, the 6R20 caliber seikos (model numbers SPBxxx) are very, very nice and in this price range.

http://www.roachman.com/seiko/automatic/SPB003.html

The Japan market version of these (models SARCxxx) are even nicer but probably out of your price range.

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...0&rev=&reveal=
pvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:47 PM   #143
JarvisLa
centurion
 
JarvisLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 131
Re: Let's Talk Watches

I like the 2nd one, might be slighty out of my range, but maybe I could push my budget a bit.

What is the general opinion on Seiko's? are they viewed as a bit of a cheaper watch?

Last edited by JarvisLa; 03-02-2009 at 11:06 PM.
JarvisLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:35 PM   #144
dibbs
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,341
Re: Let's Talk Watches

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarvisLa View Post
What is the general opinion on Seiko's? are they viewed as a bit of a cheaper watch?
As to the general public or what? While they have a a great quality/price ratio, the brand name will be viewed as a "cheap" watch brand to most people, if that's what you mean.

The brands that would be viewed as "uncheap" to the general public, in that price range, are all pretty gross though imo, by brand name I mean.
dibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:27 AM   #145
pvn
King Emeritus
 
pvn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: De-Green BruceZ for Great Justice
Posts: 65,522
Re: Let's Talk Watches

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarvisLa View Post
I like the 2nd one, might be slighty out of my range, but maybe I could push my budget a bit.

What is the general opinion on Seiko's? are they viewed as a bit of a cheaper watch?
In the US they generally are viewed as cheaper, mostly because they flooded the US market with cheap quartz watches in the 70s/80s and because they rarely send their good stuff to the US. The 6Rxx calibre automatics are basically for the japan market only, though you can get them via web retailers (seiyajapan is the one I deal with).

That said, at any pricepoint you're going to get a lot of bang for your buck with a Seiko, from a $150 Orange Monster (probably the best value in an automatic ISO-rated dive watch in the universe) up to a $10k Grand Seiko SpringDrive chrono.





pvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:27 PM   #146
Grinder At Law
enthusiast
 
Grinder At Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 58
Re: Let's Talk Watches

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEbenhoe View Post
This is another Jacques Lemans watch I'm considering.

I also like this watch better. I don't know how these Jacques Lemans watches hold up over time, but mine has been awesome for the year that I have had it. Also, if you're not someone who has to have an expensive brand, I think these watches are a great value as they look classy and can be found at a great price.
Grinder At Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:42 PM   #147
MEb
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MEb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 23,986
Re: Let's Talk Watches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder At Law View Post
I also like this watch better. I don't know how these Jacques Lemans watches hold up over time, but mine has been awesome for the year that I have had it. Also, if you're not someone who has to have an expensive brand, I think these watches are a great value as they look classy and can be found at a great price.
Yeah, I actually ended up ordering this watch. I'll take the obligatory pictures when it arrives.
MEb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:04 PM   #148
JarvisLa
centurion
 
JarvisLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 131
Re: Let's Talk Watches

Thanks for the advice and replies so far guys, I'm still looking though, really not sure what to go for...

thought's on this?

http://www.worldlux.com/cgi-bin/navi...ite&dept=WATCH

I think I like it but it may be a bit big for my wrists.
JarvisLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:51 PM   #149
MEb
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MEb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 23,986
Re: Let's Talk Watches

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarvisLa View Post
Thanks for the advice and replies so far guys, I'm still looking though, really not sure what to go for...

thought's on this?

http://www.worldlux.com/cgi-bin/navi...ite&dept=WATCH

I think I like it but it may be a bit big for my wrists.
Yeah, if you really have "quite small" wrists, a 42 mm watch will look awkward on you. But you can always go try on some watches of different sizes even if they're not ones you're interested in just to see how the sizes look.
MEb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:26 PM   #150
pvn
King Emeritus
 
pvn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: De-Green BruceZ for Great Justice
Posts: 65,522
Re: Let's Talk Watches

How small is "quite small"? 42mm is, by today's standards, average if not slightly below average. The Seiko monsters are "only" 42mm (which was relatively large when they were first released).

Also, note that a piece with a tiny bezel and more dial surface will wear larger than a piece with the same size and a bigger bezel.

I have a 7" wrist and I draw the line at the 48mm Seiko SNDA13, though that is more due to the fact that it's so damn tall.
pvn is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.33 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online