Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

EDF Interesting discussion of any and all topics, including Current Events, Entertainment, Politics, Art & Literature, Career, Hobbies, Lifestyle, Travel, Sports, and Gambling. Posts are expected to be intelligent, interesting, and respectful.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2009, 12:24 AM   #151
slickpoppa
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
slickpoppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,574
Re: EDF Fashion (and Fashion Deals) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manque View Post
Thanks. I'm planning on having them make 4 shirts. 2 White, 2 blue. One of the white ones with french cuffs. No fancy material, just broadcloth. If all goes well I hope to slowly replace all my dress shirts with bespoke.
Are sure they don't have a minimum order size greater than 4? Anyway, let me know how it goes. I've been thinking about getting bespoke shirts.
slickpoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:58 AM   #152
The DaveR
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
The DaveR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: You stay there
Posts: 19,161
Re: EDF Fashion (and Fashion Deals) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manque View Post
Thanks. I'm planning on having them make 4 shirts. 2 White, 2 blue. One of the white ones with french cuffs. No fancy material, just broadcloth. If all goes well I hope to slowly replace all my dress shirts with bespoke.
I'd suggest getting as few shirts as possible the first time so you can alter the pattern if necessary.
The DaveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:07 PM   #153
Manque
adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 761
Re: EDF Fashion (and Fashion Deals) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickpoppa View Post
Are sure they don't have a minimum order size greater than 4? Anyway, let me know how it goes. I've been thinking about getting bespoke shirts.
Actually I don't know. I do know that Turnbull & Asser requires a minimum of 6 shirts the first time you use them and I think that is considered high, so I figure 4 should be ok, but.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DaveR View Post
I'd suggest getting as few shirts as possible the first time so you can alter the pattern if necessary.
That's a good idea. I'm going to call them today to set up an appointment and I'll find that out.
Manque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 03:36 PM   #154
Manque
adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 761
Re: EDF Fashion (and Fashion Deals) Thread

Geneva told me their minimum order is 4 (I've read that they might be flexible on that). I'm going to see them on Monday and I'll report back.
Manque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:40 PM   #155
Manque
adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 761
Re: EDF Fashion (and Fashion Deals) Thread

I went to Geneva on Monday. I spoke with Eugene Athanasatos. Really nice guy and made the process easy and relaxing. I'd say he took about 12 measurements (including measuring around my watch), then we talked about how I wanted it to fit. I asked for not slim but a trim fit and I'm confident that he understood exactly what I was asking for.

From there I chose fabric, colour and pattern. Pretty easy for me since I wanted 2 whites and 2 blues. I ended up getting them all in a sea island fabric, so very basic and no texture like a twill would have. Then I chose collar and cuffs. They have some templates to choose from, but you can get whatever you what. For instance, the standard collar is 3 inches but you can get it longer or shorter. I ended up with all the collars being medium spread, 1 button barrel cuffs with rounded edges, except for one of the white shirts which I chose a square-cut French cuff. Also no front placket.

Once I'd made all the decisions about the details, I chose one of the shirts as a sample shirt. That will be the shirt they will send me first and I'll wear a wash it a few times. Then I go back to them and they will see how it fits and make adjustments accordingly. From that shirt they will then make the rest.

So far the experience has been very positive and low-pressure. I'm looking forward to getting the sample shirt and seeing what they have done.
Manque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:02 PM   #156
slickpoppa
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
slickpoppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,574
Re: EDF Fashion (and Fashion Deals) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manque View Post
I went to Geneva on Monday. I spoke with Eugene Athanasatos. Really nice guy and made the process easy and relaxing. I'd say he took about 12 measurements (including measuring around my watch), then we talked about how I wanted it to fit. I asked for not slim but a trim fit and I'm confident that he understood exactly what I was asking for.

From there I chose fabric, colour and pattern. Pretty easy for me since I wanted 2 whites and 2 blues. I ended up getting them all in a sea island fabric, so very basic and no texture like a twill would have. Then I chose collar and cuffs. They have some templates to choose from, but you can get whatever you what. For instance, the standard collar is 3 inches but you can get it longer or shorter. I ended up with all the collars being medium spread, 1 button barrel cuffs with rounded edges, except for one of the white shirts which I chose a square-cut French cuff. Also no front placket.

Once I'd made all the decisions about the details, I chose one of the shirts as a sample shirt. That will be the shirt they will send me first and I'll wear a wash it a few times. Then I go back to them and they will see how it fits and make adjustments accordingly. From that shirt they will then make the rest.

So far the experience has been very positive and low-pressure. I'm looking forward to getting the sample shirt and seeing what they have done.
Thanks for the update Manque. Would you mind sharing how much it costs? Also, how long until you get the sample shirt?
slickpoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:05 PM   #157
jws43yale
veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New York, NY (In the boardroom)
Posts: 3,193
Re: EDF Fashion (and Fashion Deals) Thread

Speaking of this, I get most of my shirts custom done at Brooks. Because I am a tall guy with big neck and shoulders but relatively narrow waist even slim fit shirts are normally too wide. They take a bunch of measurements and you end up trying on shirt bodies for relative size. I am a 17.5" neck but wore a 16" neck slim fit shirt body. They also extended the material extra long beacause of my height so it does not look untucked on the side and added an extra button. I now have about 14 of these shirts in a variety of patterns and solids with almost all medium spread collar, pocket, button cuff with left cuff monogram. I have several of the solids in french cuff for more formal wear. The shirts are $150-$200, but most of the time there is some deal (e.g. buy four get one free, or buy three and get 25% off). Defintely worth it for someone who can't find shirts that fit.

I also just ordered a custom charcoal two button suit. Very solid Super 120's wool. Cut a bit more "European' in style with side vents and slightly narrower lapels and a much more form fitting suit around the midsection. I got three slanted pockets, one of which is a ticket pocket for something a little different. Flat front pants with full break and cuffs. The suit should be cut and assembled in three weeks or so and I am pretty excited. Ran just over $1000 from Tom Jones.
jws43yale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:19 PM   #158
The DaveR
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
The DaveR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: You stay there
Posts: 19,161
Re: EDF Fashion (and Fashion Deals) Thread

M, Sounds like a great experience. I really like that he makes one shirt first and lets you wash several times. I've been thinking about switching to Geneva for a little while and this has probably tipped the scale for me.

J, You work with Tom Jackson? I just ordered a couple of button down collar shirts from him. No one else makes that soft roll. FWIW, I used to get MTM shirts next door at PS and I Frank, their MTM guy, is top notch.
The DaveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:01 PM   #159
manupod
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
manupod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: space space space is the place
Posts: 9,125
Re: EDF Fashion (and Fashion Deals) Thread

I'm not yet at the point where I'm buying custom made shirts and suits, but Jcrew has an extra 20% off the sale stuff using code EXTRA20. I picked up a couple blazers, some khakis and a shirt.
manupod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:25 PM   #160
Manque
adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 761
Re: EDF Fashion (and Fashion Deals) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickpoppa View Post
Thanks for the update Manque. Would you mind sharing how much it costs? Also, how long until you get the sample shirt?
It was $245 per shirt. The sample shirt should arrive 2 weeks from Monday


Quote:
Originally Posted by The DaveR View Post
M, Sounds like a great experience. I really like that he makes one shirt first and lets you wash several times. I've been thinking about switching to Geneva for a little while and this has probably tipped the scale for me.
The sample shirt was a nice surprise. I went in there thinking I might ask them to lower the minimum, but when he told me about doing a sample shirt I was happy to do 4.

It was a great experience. It's definitely not like walking into Ascot Chang. Geneva really is a factory. On the left side you see the women sewing all the shirts and the office where you get measured and choose the fabrics is as bare bones as it gets. The nice thing about Eugene is that he is as unpretentious as the office. Very helpful and pleasant too.
Manque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:58 AM   #161
Sly Caveat
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Sly Caveat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 8,641
Re: EDF Fashion (and Fashion Deals) Thread

PSA: Barney's is having a 40% off sale Monday.
Sly Caveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:35 AM   #162
sublime
Mr. Roper
 
sublime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: FrenchFriedTaters
Posts: 22,122
Re: EDF Fashion (and Fashion Deals) Thread

anyone got recs for a white sneaker to be worn with shorts over the summer? i have usually gone with the Adidas Superstar but they arent all that comfy. How are the Lascost sneakers? Kswiss classicns seem worthy of a shot also. how about golas, etc etc etc?
sublime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:28 PM   #163
stinkypete
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
stinkypete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: somewhere
Posts: 13,637
Re: EDF Fashion (and Fashion Deals) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime View Post
anyone got recs for a white sneaker to be worn with shorts over the summer? i have usually gone with the Adidas Superstar but they arent all that comfy. How are the Lascost sneakers? Kswiss classicns seem worthy of a shot also. how about golas, etc etc etc?


recently got these. yum.

of course if you get them i will have to kill you.
stinkypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:54 PM   #164
z28dreams
Pooh-Bah
 
z28dreams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Spammer
Posts: 5,095
Re: EDF Fashion (and Fashion Deals) Thread

How about suggestions for casual shoes to be worn with jeans.

I'm ruling out sneakers, because some bars/lounges can be picky on that. I'm also thinking black for a color, just to make it more flexible with the shirts I'll wear.

Ideas?
z28dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:44 PM   #165
Thremp
banned
 
Thremp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: I lurve bewbs
Posts: 36,460
Re: EDF Fashion (and Fashion Deals) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28dreams View Post
How about suggestions for casual shoes to be worn with jeans.

I'm ruling out sneakers, because some bars/lounges can be picky on that. I'm also thinking black for a color, just to make it more flexible with the shirts I'll wear.

Ideas?
monkstraps
Dress Boots
Some random slipons are sweet

Black is way lame as well. Lighter Brown >>> Choc Brown >>>>>>>>>>>> Black
Thremp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 05:18 PM   #166
z28dreams
Pooh-Bah
 
z28dreams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Spammer
Posts: 5,095
Re: EDF Fashion (and Fashion Deals) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thremp View Post
monkstraps
Dress Boots
Some random slipons are sweet

Black is way lame as well. Lighter Brown >>> Choc Brown >>>>>>>>>>>> Black
Hmm... just seems that black is more practical for times that I'm wearing a black coat or shirt. No?

Post some pictures of your favorite shows here.
z28dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:08 PM   #167
Thremp
banned
 
Thremp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: I lurve bewbs
Posts: 36,460
Re: EDF Fashion (and Fashion Deals) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28dreams View Post
Hmm... just seems that black is more practical for times that I'm wearing a black coat or shirt. No?

Post some pictures of your favorite shows here.
Try reading the thread.
Thremp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:46 PM   #168
z28dreams
Pooh-Bah
 
z28dreams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Spammer
Posts: 5,095
Re: EDF Fashion (and Fashion Deals) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thremp View Post
Try reading the thread.
Ya, I read the thread. There didn't seem to be a lot of discussion on shoes outside of either the monk-straps or sneakers.

The monk-straps always looked a little formal to wear with just jeans + a button down shirt. Should I really be wearing a sport coat to dress it up?

Another general shoe question- I have some "cap toe" style shoes for work. Are these too formal for a workplace where I'm typically just wearing slacks + collared dress shirt (but no tie or suit)?

Basically, something like this:
z28dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:00 PM   #169
Manque
adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 761
Re: EDF Fashion (and Fashion Deals) Thread

yes
Manque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:45 AM   #170
jws43yale
veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New York, NY (In the boardroom)
Posts: 3,193
Re: EDF Fashion (and Fashion Deals) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28dreams View Post
Ya, I read the thread. There didn't seem to be a lot of discussion on shoes outside of either the monk-straps or sneakers.

The monk-straps always looked a little formal to wear with just jeans + a button down shirt. Should I really be wearing a sport coat to dress it up?

Another general shoe question- I have some "cap toe" style shoes for work. Are these too formal for a workplace where I'm typically just wearing slacks + collared dress shirt (but no tie or suit)?

Basically, something like this:
Those are by no means too formal for slacks, I am not sure what Manque is talking about if he is talking to you. The standard Black captoe is the best shoe you can own, you can wear it with or without a suit/tie, and even polish it up to wear with a Tux. Don't hesitate to wear the captoe to work at all, should look very nice.
jws43yale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:16 PM   #171
Sly Caveat
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Sly Caveat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 8,641
Re: EDF Fashion (and Fashion Deals) Thread

Just got these on sale from Grapevinehill.com. Their Ralph Lauren shoes are 25% off and they were already on sale, so $136 shipped.

Sly Caveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:44 PM   #172
Manque
adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 761
Re: EDF Fashion (and Fashion Deals) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jws43yale View Post
Those are by no means too formal for slacks, I am not sure what Manque is talking about if he is talking to you. The standard Black captoe is the best shoe you can own, you can wear it with or without a suit/tie, and even polish it up to wear with a Tux. Don't hesitate to wear the captoe to work at all, should look very nice.
Manque's Iron Rule of Dressing. If it's appropriate to wear with black tie, it is sure as hell not gonna work with slacks and a shirt.
Manque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:20 PM   #173
Sly Caveat
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Sly Caveat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 8,641
Re: EDF Fashion (and Fashion Deals) Thread

Gilt Groupe is having a designer denim sale today. (See my invite earlier in the thread.) The Earnest Sewn jeans I bought at Barney's 40% off for $110 are $78.
Sly Caveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 04:27 AM   #174
KaiserSose
old hand
 
KaiserSose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,732
Re: EDF Fashion (and Fashion Deals) Thread

lol at people saying button down collars universally suck.



From glimpsing though this thread it's clear most of you think very conservatively & favor looks that are just a slightly nicer version of how everyone else looks.

My thoughts on this question without even considering boots which, in my opinion, are way more badass.

Quote:
How about suggestions for casual shoes to be worn with jeans.

I'm ruling out sneakers, because some bars/lounges can be picky on that. I'm also thinking black for a color, just to make it more flexible with the shirts I'll wear.

Ideas?
These were just 40% off a week ago.

http://www.barneys.com/Plain%20Toe%2...efault,pd.html

A few others I like

http://www.paulsmith.co.uk/paul-smit...productId=8255

http://www.resoul.com/Store/pc/viewP...&idproduct=896

http://www.ssense.com/Common_Project...&keyword=10912

http://www.paulsmith.co.uk/paul-smit...roductId=15624

Last edited by KaiserSose; 05-09-2009 at 04:45 AM.
KaiserSose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:56 PM   #175
Wilco23
journeyman
 
Wilco23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Phil Laak's 'Hood
Posts: 363
Re: EDF Fashion (and Fashion Deals) Thread

does anyone rock pf flyers or tretorn for sneakers? i have several of each.

as for button downs, i tend to only wear them when i'm really casual, and i'll usually not button the damn things. i hate them that much. i never wear them to work (usually a suit or shirt/trousers (and yes, they're trousers not slacks, ugh)).

as for anything else, there are no rules. if you feel comfortable in something, it'll show. i've seen some pretty crazy looks that people pulled off, and someone's confidence makes all the difference in the world. for example, check out some of the tom ford ads you'll see in magazines where they mix and match all kinds of stripes, checks and window pane patterns. theoretically it shouldn't work like that, but it's just about the entire look, so it does.

i work with a bunch of conservative stiffs that always deride me about things i go for, like the tan lace-ups i bought for the spring. whenever they comment, i know i'm doing something right because all they wear is white ralph lauren button downs and ferragamo loafers. good look, just not for me.
Wilco23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.33 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ę 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online