Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

EDF Interesting discussion of any and all topics, including Current Events, Entertainment, Politics, Art & Literature, Career, Hobbies, Lifestyle, Travel, Sports, and Gambling. Posts are expected to be intelligent, interesting, and respectful.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2017, 01:57 PM   #6376
Bode-ist
solidly average
 
Bode-ist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: slow motion
Posts: 4,167
Re: The Beer connoisseur thread

2 Deep in Indy uses those cans also. I was told they were way more expensive than regular cans for some reason.
Bode-ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:12 PM   #6377
ChicagoRy
 
ChicagoRy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: ColoradoRy
Posts: 19,566
Re: The Beer connoisseur thread

There's a brewery in NW Indiana that uses them too. Name escapes me, but family from there gave me an assortment of beers to try from that brewery a couple of years ago and I remember the odd cans.

I'm not sure they work that well with higher carbonation (foaming out in a much larger hole) but that's just me speculating. I love cans.
ChicagoRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:16 PM   #6378
ChicagoRy
 
ChicagoRy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: ColoradoRy
Posts: 19,566
Re: The Beer connoisseur thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDefiniteArticle View Post
I just can't imagine waiting an hour for a beer. I feel it must be the case that most of the wait is a 'hype factor' issue. With that said, I've never had Trillium or Treehouse, and the Trillium event at Beavertown a couple of weeks ago apparently had hour-long queues in the UK as well. The breweries need to expand production and employ more customer service people, surely?
Sometimes demand is just far too great for supply to fulfill in the short term. Also, when you get the very best quality beer, sometimes the owner is more of an artist or creative type than a business person. Sometimes they are a fine business person but they are just very protective of the quality of their product so they dot every i and cross every t several times before they even consider expanding.

Restaurants have long waits though all the time, even some established for years. Beer is a little more straightforward, but there is a marketing angle to having people wait in line 1-6 hours for beers like Dark Lord once a year, so many non beer people would bring up Three Floyd's to me when I lived in Chicago after finding out I was a homebrewer. "That brewery where people wait in like 6 hours for a beer, that must be one hell of a beer!."

Personally though, it now has to be one of my favorite beers. Medianoche is the only thing I'm aware of that I'll wait an hour in line for and they are probably going to tickets for the fall release anyways, so I won't have to wait in a massive line.

I'd wait an hour for enough Treehouse or Trillium too, but would need to get an 8 pack I think minimum.

There are a few hundred guys out by me, a vocal minority of beer drinkers that mostly chase rare beers. They like the lines, because they are willing to sit in them and it means the value of their beer in national trades is going to be pretty high. So they will drink some of the beer they get in these lines and trade the rest for other line waiting type beers elseware in the country. It's an interesting dynamic, but having been to a number of tastings with these "ultra rare" beers, I think going the festival route is a much better way to access the "whales" without being frequently disappointed (rare beers and big beers are two fests with # of these "whale beers" from jester king, black project, side project, casey, weldwerks, kane, three floyd's and more). These are mostly sours and barrel aged beers, IPA lines are a thing but those don't usually trade for nearly the $oz that some of these sours and ba beers trade for.
ChicagoRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:05 PM   #6379
TheDefiniteArticle
Indecisive
 
TheDefiniteArticle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Polarizing my folding range
Posts: 13,466
Re: The Beer connoisseur thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRy View Post
Sometimes demand is just far too great for supply to fulfill in the short term. Also, when you get the very best quality beer, sometimes the owner is more of an artist or creative type than a business person. Sometimes they are a fine business person but they are just very protective of the quality of their product so they dot every i and cross every t several times before they even consider expanding.

Restaurants have long waits though all the time, even some established for years. Beer is a little more straightforward, but there is a marketing angle to having people wait in line 1-6 hours for beers like Dark Lord once a year, so many non beer people would bring up Three Floyd's to me when I lived in Chicago after finding out I was a homebrewer. "That brewery where people wait in like 6 hours for a beer, that must be one hell of a beer!."

Personally though, it now has to be one of my favorite beers. Medianoche is the only thing I'm aware of that I'll wait an hour in line for and they are probably going to tickets for the fall release anyways, so I won't have to wait in a massive line.

I'd wait an hour for enough Treehouse or Trillium too, but would need to get an 8 pack I think minimum.

There are a few hundred guys out by me, a vocal minority of beer drinkers that mostly chase rare beers. They like the lines, because they are willing to sit in them and it means the value of their beer in national trades is going to be pretty high. So they will drink some of the beer they get in these lines and trade the rest for other line waiting type beers elseware in the country. It's an interesting dynamic, but having been to a number of tastings with these "ultra rare" beers, I think going the festival route is a much better way to access the "whales" without being frequently disappointed (rare beers and big beers are two fests with # of these "whale beers" from jester king, black project, side project, casey, weldwerks, kane, three floyd's and more). These are mostly sours and barrel aged beers, IPA lines are a thing but those don't usually trade for nearly the $oz that some of these sours and ba beers trade for.
I think I'm largely with you. However, I wouldn't queue an hour for 8 of the same beer, as I would rarely want to drink 8 of the same. 2 cans each of four beers, now we're talking.

Kinda disappointed that I couldn't get tickets for the Beavertown bash, but I imagine it's going to be unreasonably packed for a festival.
TheDefiniteArticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:15 PM   #6380
riddle777
grinder
 
riddle777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 449
Re: The Beer connoisseur thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bode-ist View Post
2 Deep in Indy uses those cans also. I was told they were way more expensive than regular cans for some reason.


Urban Chestnut also uses them. Speaking of Two Deep. I have yet to have a better than average beer from them. Am I missing something?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
riddle777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:19 PM   #6381
Bode-ist
solidly average
 
Bode-ist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: slow motion
Posts: 4,167
Re: The Beer connoisseur thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddle777 View Post
Urban Chestnut also uses them. Speaking of Two Deep. I have yet to have a better than average beer from them. Am I missing something?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Probably not. Buddy of mine says their cream ale is the best he's had, but lolcreamales for the most part. Their Lake IPA is OK, and I haven't had any of their brewery only stuff.
Bode-ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:05 PM   #6382
El Diablo
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
El Diablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 64,338
Re: The Beer connoisseur thread

Alcoholic soda fans,



Modern times rowing needles. They call it a Berliner weisse with blackberries and raspberries. Def taste the berries, huge berry flavor. But this doesn't taste like a beer at all. Tastes more like a tart Izze soda. $7.99/bomber. Could drink a ton of these. Will definitely buy again, a great refreshing summer soda that happens to be 4.8% abv.
El Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 04:29 PM   #6383
Bode-ist
solidly average
 
Bode-ist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: slow motion
Posts: 4,167
Re: The Beer connoisseur thread

that sounds awesome. Was pumped to go to a small beer fest that MT was coming to this weekend, but had to back out for a family trip.
Bode-ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:09 PM   #6384
goofyballer
 
goofyballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 59,430
Re: The Beer connoisseur thread

The Bruery just announced they're opening a retail store in DC late this year, and will make it an option for members to be able to ship all their beer East and pick it up there. Now you all can enjoy some Black Tuesday!
goofyballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:39 PM   #6385
El Diablo
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
El Diablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 64,338
The Beer connoisseur thread

Stone fans,



Grabbed that on a weekend trip. $15.99 for mixed 12-pack, felt like a pretty good deal.

Stone IPA - solid, straightforward west coast IPA. Always a reliable choice.

Ruination - another reliable standard. Nice hoppiness, a little bit of maltiness, but nicely balanced for a double IPA and not overly sweet at all.

Ghost hammer - refreshing, light, floral, fruity, bit of maltiness. Nice change of pace to drink, but overall I prefer the regular stone IPA.

Hop revolver mandarina Bavaria - did not like this at all. Very malty and sweet, very little hoppiness, not really any citrus/pine/etc ipa flavors I expect. Tasted more like a marzen or something than an IPA.
El Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online