Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Notices

The Lounge: Discussion+Review For discussion and debate about arts, movies+TV, music, reading+literature, style, fashion, history, culture and many more subjects

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2010, 12:41 PM   #1
Nixonian
 
kioshk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Independence for Scotland!
Posts: 74,185
Talk About Your Dog(s)/Cat(s)

This thread is all about your important (pointless) pet stories.

My damn cat is almost everything to me, she's almost 16 now. We adopted her when we first got the house, so she's like my house to me, but more important. She was just a kitten when she first came here, but brave like a lion. She kept climbing on the freaking roof, from the timbers over the deck. Like a little monkey, and then she'd cry for relief when she got tired of playing. And I'd haul her down.

She's old and slow now, like me. She sleeps at least 20 hours a day, and I keep a portable heater running by her bed of course. We both understand each other so well, which is both sad and comforting.

So this thread is where you tell your pet stories, I think! My cat may chime in with a pithy contribution if she feels it's appropriate.
kioshk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:49 PM   #2
THE WOLF
 
orange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Staking
Posts: 37,095
Re: Talk About Your Dog(s)/Cat(s)

i my dog but he's annoying...always wants to go in and out of the house. he also is obsessed with food and will follow ANYONE with any piece of food, begging for any scrap. he'll put his head on your lap with big eyes and sit there, hoping you'll give him a handout.

orange is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:03 PM   #3
Nixonian
 
kioshk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Independence for Scotland!
Posts: 74,185
Re: Talk About Your Dog(s)/Cat(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange View Post
i my dog but he's annoying...always wants to go in and out of the house. he also is obsessed with food and will follow ANYONE with any piece of food, begging for any scrap. he'll put his head on your lap with big eyes and sit there, hoping you'll give him a handout.

That's a beautiful dog, Orange, especially in the snow. About annoying, my damn cat wakes me up at least 4 times every night, just for attention. And of course I've improvised a step to make it easier for her to jump up on the bed, to better make that possible.
kioshk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:10 PM   #4
Tripod
 
Dominic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Vegas
Posts: 50,704
Re: Talk About Your Dog(s)/Cat(s)

My dog Sammy



In our new, small little place, poor Sammy just had a 5x5 concrete porch for his own space. Even when he was inside with us, the cat would torture him and he'd have no place to go hide or get under. (He's not allowed in the bedrooms) He was miserable.

Finally, I decided to ship him to my sister's home, where they have another dog, 4 kids to play with him all the time, and most importantly - SPACE! Both outside and in...he can romp around, hide all he wants, even go jump in a lake if he so desires.

I miss him like crazy, but I made the decision that was best for him. I did it quick, too, before Noah got all attached to him.

And no, this wasn't my wife's idea...she was more than willing to have Sammy with us and she never asked me to get rid of him.

Anyway...I miss my dog but I'll see him in a couple months...my sister says he's loving every minute of it and is very happy. That's all I could ever want for him.
Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:13 PM   #5
Nixonian
 
kioshk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Independence for Scotland!
Posts: 74,185
Re: Talk About Your Dog(s)/Cat(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
My dog Sammy



In our new, small little place, poor Sammy just had a 5x5 concrete porch for his own space. Even when he was inside with us, the cat would torture him and he'd have no place to go hide or get under. (He's not allowed in the bedrooms) He was miserable.

Finally, I decided to ship him to my sister's home, where they have another dog, 4 kids to play with him all the time, and most importantly - SPACE! Both outside and in...he can romp around, hide all he wants, even go jump in a lake if he so desires.

I miss him like crazy, but I made the decision that was best for him. I did it quick, too, before Noah got all attached to him.

And no, this wasn't my wife's idea...she was more than willing to have Sammy with us and she never asked me to get rid of him.

Anyway...I miss my dog but I'll see him in a couple months...my sister says he's loving every minute of it and is very happy. That's all I could ever want for him.
Those are gut-wrenching decisions with pets, it's so difficult.
kioshk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:15 PM   #6
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chairmoistening Sector 7G
Posts: 53,534
Re: Talk About Your Dog(s)/Cat(s)

Here's my niece, Maile:



She was just a young'un then, and now she has gone on to have young'uns of her own. Here they are, freshly born this Tuesday:



Here they are in a group audition, hoping for their big break on 2+2:



You can see the colors vary dramatically in Australian Shepherd litters. We got a high percentage of one of my favorite coats in the doggie kingdom, the blue merle. That's the silvery/blue look. Generally these dogs have a brilliant white chest setting off the rest of their coat. The coats in the last few pics look less than dramatic because everyone is either a newborn or wet or damp, or just kinda beat up from giving birth to eight puppies in the middle of the night.

Here's another one of my niece when she's looking more of her robust and gorgeous self:





The other fellow is her friend Buddy. He's not the father of this litter, or related to Maile, but he has grown up to be an unusually large, good-looking dude. Since they were raised together, they may or may not eventually breed. Who can account for the mysteries of love, after all?

These dogs are both ridiculously spirited and happy all the time. Every day and almost every moment seems to be the very best one yet. So they make my parents very happy. And they keep them active, spurring them to go on long daily walks. My mother also has them compete in agility and obedience trials, and they do very well and seem to get a kick out of it. You know how dogs just ache to please. Long story short is, they bring a lot of happiness to the family, and everybody wins.

Last edited by Blarg; 02-12-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Blarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:20 PM   #7
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chairmoistening Sector 7G
Posts: 53,534
Re: Talk About Your Dog(s)/Cat(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kioshk View Post
That's a beautiful dog, Orange, especially in the snow. About annoying, my damn cat wakes me up at least 4 times every night, just for attention. And of course I've improvised a step to make it easier for her to jump up on the bed, to better make that possible.
I've had to lock my cats out of the bedroom for doing that before. You can love them so much you start to forget how much they are screwing up your health and energy doing that.
Blarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:21 PM   #8
THE WOLF
 
orange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Staking
Posts: 37,095
Re: Talk About Your Dog(s)/Cat(s)

great lookin dogs blarg. my family was pretty late to getting dogs (it's only been like a year since we got ours) but i've always liked them.
orange is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:25 PM   #9
Nixonian
 
kioshk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Independence for Scotland!
Posts: 74,185
Re: Talk About Your Dog(s)/Cat(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blarg View Post
I've had to lock my cats out of the bedroom for doing that before. You can love them so much you start to forget how much they are screwing up your health and energy doing that.
Blarg, if I locked her out, she'd keep me awake all night yowling, c'mon. At least I get a little sleep this way.

Yes, my cat is a terrorist.
kioshk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:27 PM   #10
Nixonian
 
kioshk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Independence for Scotland!
Posts: 74,185
Re: Talk About Your Dog(s)/Cat(s)

That dark-haired dog of Blarg's parents' looks a lot like my beloved 3rd dog, Sausage, who was some sort of shepherd mix.
kioshk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:33 PM   #11
My name is Carlos
 
thedeezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: My excited face
Posts: 21,738
Re: Talk About Your Dog(s)/Cat(s)

I guess I want have to tard up the EPL thread anymore with my cats.

The Lounge I introduce you to Cowboy and Carlos who are brothers who just turned 9 months old:

Carlos:


Cowboy:



Both are of these kittens came from a friend of my girlfriend and I who couldn't keep all 3 kittens in the litter. We took all three but gave the girl of the litter to my girlfriends mom.

Bonus pic of all three from back in July - L to R: Zoe, Carlos and Cowboy



I initially just wanted one cat but when I was around Carlos and Cowboy I immediately changed my mind and needed both of them. Cowboy is definitely the more social cat, always wanting to play, chirping at us, waking us up in the morning . Carlos is really hit or miss, either wants to lay on you for hours or hide in a closet. I've always been a cat person but hadn't owned one for 6 years since my childhood cat died and I couldn't imagine not having them.
thedeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:35 PM   #12
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chairmoistening Sector 7G
Posts: 53,534
Re: Talk About Your Dog(s)/Cat(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange View Post
great lookin dogs blarg. my family was pretty late to getting dogs (it's only been like a year since we got ours) but i've always liked them.
I grew up with tons of dogs and cats and feel very lucky about that. Glad you got the chance to try out the experience yourself. Dogs are great and well worth the effort and expense, IMO.

But I do feel bad when people get them but don't take much care of them. They're not for everybody, by far. Most people are probably a bit too busy or simply self-centered for dogs, IMO. For them I'd recommend a cat instead. Cats love you, but they don't need you so desperately and continually.
Blarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:41 PM   #13
Tripod
 
Dominic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Vegas
Posts: 50,704
Re: Talk About Your Dog(s)/Cat(s)

those are incredible looking dogs, Blarg...

And yes, our cat - a gorgeous main ****, sleeps all day then decides to perform in the middle of the night, yowling like crazy.

Last edited by Dominic; 02-12-2010 at 01:42 PM. Reason: lol...censored word is spoon but with a c instead of an sp.
Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:47 PM   #14
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chairmoistening Sector 7G
Posts: 53,534
Re: Talk About Your Dog(s)/Cat(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeezy View Post
I initially just wanted one cat but when I was around Carlos and Cowboy I immediately changed my mind and needed both of them. Cowboy is definitely the more social cat, always wanting to play, chirping at us, waking us up in the morning . Carlos is really hit or miss, either wants to lay on you for hours or hide in a closet. I've always been a cat person but hadn't owned one for 6 years since my childhood cat died and I couldn't imagine not having them.
Carlos is the better looking of the bunch, but even in the kitten photo, Cowboy stands out as fun and bound for glory.
Blarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:54 PM   #15
My name is Carlos
 
thedeezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: My excited face
Posts: 21,738
Re: Talk About Your Dog(s)/Cat(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blarg View Post
Carlos is the better looking of the bunch, but even in the kitten photo, Cowboy stands out as fun and bound for glory.
I've kind of adopted Carlos as my cat while my girlfriend adopted cowboy as hers. I hope they never lose their love to wrestle one another or sneak attack the other while sleeping
thedeezy is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive