Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

The Lounge: Discussion+Review For discussion and debate about arts, movies+TV, music, reading+literature, style, fashion, history, culture and many more subjects

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2009, 10:45 AM   #126
madnak
Cooler than Sammy Hagar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 19,743
Re: pointless knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landonfan View Post
You can continue using jump, even though it's incorrect. Sort of like how everyone thinks of the tomato as a vegetable even though they know it's a fruit, as if vegetables are the tomato's adoptive family.
On topic for the thread, "vegetable" is a dietary and commercial term. "Fruit" is both a dietary term and a botanical term. A tomato is a fruit in the botanical sense of the term, but in dietary terms a tomato is usually considered a vegetable but not a fruit. Perhaps the most "correct" view is that tomatoes are both fruits and vegetables (and that the categories are not, as popularly believed, mutually exclusive).

Mushrooms, though considered vegetables, are not actually plants but fungi.
madnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:02 AM   #127
kudzudemon
Pooh-Bah
 
kudzudemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Planet Bubba
Posts: 3,542
Re: pointless knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landonfan View Post
So the dictionary should control how I view the world? I disagree with the dictionary definition, and see no reason to do otherwise aside from a bunch of people telling me to. I've seen no solid evidence, I've only seen the opinion that jumping = X, and I'm not buying that.
::: triple sigh :::

No, and in fact, a dictionary doesn't arbitrarily assign definition; it merely indicates how it is used with as much precision as possible. Usage inevitably defines the word, not the other way around. So if you want to maintain that your scientific acuity is such that you wish to question the definition of such a word, be my guest. Most of the world, including those who are considered experts in their field, are perfectly comfortable using the word in said context. Once it reaches this stage, it becomes more than just an "opinion".

Such arbitrary labeling is not unusual. But it is generally more of a hindrance to making a point than an enhancement of it. You can call your dick a flashlight, if you wish, and no one can say you are right or wrong. You are simply assigning it a title. However, until it attains a level of usage, it will not be considered as such by any but yourself. The word "flashlight", to most, will have a set and solitary meaning that has no phallic connotations. Unless they are subliminal, and Freud was right after all.

Take, for instance, this example: "You cannot hum an entire song while holding your nose." Technically speaking, you can. You can hold the tip of your nose, or the top, or in a way that doesn't impede the passage of air. Or you can find a song that is a few seconds long. However, "holding your nose" is generally considered to mean holding it in such a way that air cannot escape or get in, as in when one gets a whiff of the fart. To do this, and hum a song of reasonable length is, indeed, impossible to do. At some point, the air being shot through the voice box to produce a sound will have to be expelled. With one's nose held as per popular usage, and with one's mouth kept shut, expulsion cannot be achieved. The reasonable gist of the sentence is indeed true, in spite of technicalities that may indicate otherwise. Unless you stand to make a bundle on a bar bet that is tethered on such a technicality, pointing such out is less enlightenment or term-defining than douchebaggery of the most pathetic stripe.

Like I said, the logic of a semantic dodge is often unassailable. But it is rarely a salient point, either. You were the one who wished to define the terms, then balked when it was done and it led to a conclusion you didn't care for. If you don't wish to be questioned, then stop throwing out incorrect little posts that merely argue a point that you know less about than you think, as you did in your initial response to pfsr_cain. Interesting that every post you have made to this thread has been one of commentary, not contribution. You've given not one piece of pointless knowledge, in spite of your proclamations to have a head full of them, so you popped off in an effort to show you had a valid contribution with a smarmy "exposing" of someone else's well intentioned post. I think you may have spent a little too much time on some of the Yay-hoo forums and picked up some bad habits.

Sometimes I find you amusing, entertaining, and even enlightening, Landon, in spite of your borderline creepy obsession with underage gymnasts. But this is not one of those times.

Now, to get back on track:

Creedence Clearwater Revival never had a number one song on Billboard's Hot 100.

Andrew Jackson had a bullet lodged next to his heart, from a duel when he was younger.

Martin Luther wrote that the devil had visited him personally and he farted at him.

They were rare, but there were black slaveholders in the pre-civil war United States.

Houdini completed the first manned flight on the continent of Australia.
kudzudemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:21 AM   #128
maltaille
centurion
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 183
Re: pointless knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc000t View Post
The word "that" is the only word in the english language that can be said three times in a row and still be gramatically correct.
Is is is.
maltaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:21 AM   #129
Max H
veteran
 
Max H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Lower Slower Delaware
Posts: 3,131
Re: pointless knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudzudemon View Post

Creedence Clearwater Revival never had a number one song on Billboard's Hot 100.
This is because the work of Creedence transcends categorization and is unquantifiable. The fact that any of their songs charted at all was a blasphemous act by the chartmakers comparable to if Moses had attempted to look upon the burning bush during the creation of the Ten Commandments.
Max H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:39 AM   #130
kudzudemon
Pooh-Bah
 
kudzudemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Planet Bubba
Posts: 3,542
Re: pointless knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max H View Post
This is because the work of Creedence transcends categorization and is unquantifiable. The fact that any of their songs charted at all was a blasphemous act by the chartmakers comparable to if Moses had attempted to look upon the burning bush during the creation of the Ten Commandments.
Infidel Goyim chartmakers....
kudzudemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:55 AM   #131
GeraldGiraffe
adept
 
GeraldGiraffe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Scotland
Posts: 1,139
Re: pointless knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc000t View Post
The word "that" is the only word in the english language that can be said three times in a row and still be gramatically correct.


The middle finger originates from the 100 years war between England and France. When the French would capture a English long archer, they would cut off his middle fingers so they could no longer use it to pull back their bow. So when the English archers would emerge victorious from a battle, they would wave their middle fingers proudly in the air at the defeated French soldiers in a sort of "**** you, I still have my middle finger you bastard" sort of way.
I'm almost certain this is wrong, mainly because the 'middle finger' gesture is not very British at all. Most people here, until American culture began to replace our own, used two fingers. On the other hand I could be conjecturing here.

However, I have heard exactly the same version of this story but with the two-fingers gesture instead of the middle finger gesture, and I've also heard it declaimed as being wrong. The two-fingers up gesture is supposed to represent horns, and it was originally used to suggest that the recipient was being cuckolded (horns is a very old metaphor/symbol for cuckoldry).
GeraldGiraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:15 PM   #132
kudzudemon
Pooh-Bah
 
kudzudemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Planet Bubba
Posts: 3,542
Re: pointless knowledge

Robert Todd Lincoln (Abe's boy) was present at two Presidential assassinations, neither being his father's. He was asleep in the White House when he was informed of that shooting, and went to the President's bedside across the street from Ford Theater.

He was an eyewitness to Garfield's killing, standing with him on a train platform. He was Garfield's Secretary of War.

He was with the Presidential party at the Pan-American Exposition when McKinley was shot, although he did not personally witness the event.

Also, a few months before his father was shot, he (Robert Todd Lincoln) was standing on a train station platform, leaning against a train car, in a crowd. The car began moving, spinning Lincoln down and into the small gap between the platform and the moving train. A man grabbed him by his collar and pulled him quickly up, saving him from serious injury if not death. The man did not realize who Lincoln was, and didn't know until he received a letter a few weeks later from a Union colonel and friend of Lincoln, thanking him for his heroic effort. The man was Edwin Booth, John Wilkes' Booth's less excitable brother.

Also, when he (R.T. Lincoln) stepped down as Secretary of War, he was heard to yell "WAR? HAH !!! GOOD GOD, YA'LL, WHAT IS IT GOOD FOR? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, SAY IT AGAIN, NOW !!!"
kudzudemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:40 PM   #133
daveT
S.A.G.E. Master
 
daveT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Why didn't I use Clojure instead?
Posts: 20,773
Re: pointless knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc000t View Post
The word "that" is the only word in the english language that can be said three times in a row and still be gramatically correct.


The middle finger originates from the 100 years war between England and France. When the French would capture a English long archer, they would cut off his middle fingers so they could no longer use it to pull back their bow. So when the English archers would emerge victorious from a battle, they would wave their middle fingers proudly in the air at the defeated French soldiers in a sort of "**** you, I still have my middle finger you bastard" sort of way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraldGiraffe View Post
I'm almost certain this is wrong, mainly because the 'middle finger' gesture is not very British at all. Most people here, until American culture began to replace our own, used two fingers. On the other hand I could be conjecturing here.

However, I have heard exactly the same version of this story but with the two-fingers gesture instead of the middle finger gesture, and I've also heard it declaimed as being wrong. The two-fingers up gesture is supposed to represent horns, and it was originally used to suggest that the recipient was being cuckolded (horns is a very old metaphor/symbol for cuckoldry).
Yeah, I heard this stuff two. And it wouldn't make sense to cut off only the middle finger two keep an archer from shooting an arrow. English still use two fingers when flicking people off.


#####
As for Mr. Burke, his first name was William. His skin was hided and made into wallets. I am able to remember Willaim Burke's name so well because the largest spa in Souther California is called Burke, Williams. I love telling this story at school.

######
The brain has no nocioceptors, so it cannot feel pain.

The brain is also the only organ that can be transfused to another body without being rejected.
daveT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:49 PM   #134
thirddan
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: what hump?
Posts: 11,695
Re: pointless knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blarg View Post
Perhaps there is not an infinite amount of time?
perhaps not in the real universe...but that isn't a statement based on his quote...the quote says given infinite time...
thirddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:51 PM   #135
MrWookie
Don't Call Me Shirley
 
MrWookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Treating my drinking problem.
Posts: 80,686
Re: pointless knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc000t View Post
The word "that" is the only word in the english language that can be said three times in a row and still be gramatically correct.
Wrong.

"Fish fish fish fish fish fish fish," and "Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo," are both grammatically correct.
MrWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:55 PM   #136
daveT
S.A.G.E. Master
 
daveT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Why didn't I use Clojure instead?
Posts: 20,773
Re: pointless knowledge

The monkeys theory has been disproven.

http://warp.povusers.org/grrr/monkeys.html

This is a good start, but there have been entire chapters in interesting books dedicated to this cause.
daveT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:59 PM   #137
BustoRhymes
Grand Elf
 
BustoRhymes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Once more into the fray
Posts: 24,099
Re: pointless knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveT View Post

The brain is also the only organ that can be transfused to another body without being rejected.
obv level
BustoRhymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:01 PM   #138
daveT
S.A.G.E. Master
 
daveT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Why didn't I use Clojure instead?
Posts: 20,773
Re: pointless knowledge

No, they transfered monkey brains.
daveT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:03 PM   #139
BustoRhymes
Grand Elf
 
BustoRhymes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Once more into the fray
Posts: 24,099
Re: pointless knowledge

A car traveling 100 mph would take more than 29 million years to reach the nearest star.

On average, 100 people die every year by choking on ball point pens.

The Great Wall of China was originally created to keep Chuck Norris out. It failed miserably.
BustoRhymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:03 PM   #140
BustoRhymes
Grand Elf
 
BustoRhymes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Once more into the fray
Posts: 24,099
Re: pointless knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveT View Post
No, they transfered monkey brains.
Link?
BustoRhymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:07 PM   #141
Blarg
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chairmoistening Sector 7G
Posts: 53,533
Re: pointless knowledge

LOL it's always the third one that gets ya.
Blarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:09 PM   #142
Dominic
Tripod
 
Dominic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Vegas
Posts: 57,025
Re: pointless knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc000t View Post
The word "that" is the only word in the english language that can be said three times in a row and still be gramatically correct.
wrong:

"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo." is a grammatically correct sentence used as an example of how homonyms and homophones can be used to create complicated constructs.
Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:13 PM   #143
Dominic
Tripod
 
Dominic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Vegas
Posts: 57,025
Re: pointless knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudzudemon View Post
Robert Todd Lincoln (Abe's boy) was present at two Presidential assassinations, neither being his father's. He was asleep in the White House when he was informed of that shooting, and went to the President's bedside across the street from Ford Theater.

He was an eyewitness to Garfield's killing, standing with him on a train platform. He was Garfield's Secretary of War.

He was with the Presidential party at the Pan-American Exposition when McKinley was shot, although he did not personally witness the event.

Also, a few months before his father was shot, he (Robert Todd Lincoln) was standing on a train station platform, leaning against a train car, in a crowd. The car began moving, spinning Lincoln down and into the small gap between the platform and the moving train. A man grabbed him by his collar and pulled him quickly up, saving him from serious injury if not death. The man did not realize who Lincoln was, and didn't know until he received a letter a few weeks later from a Union colonel and friend of Lincoln, thanking him for his heroic effort. The man was Edwin Booth, John Wilkes' Booth's less excitable brother.

Also, when he (R.T. Lincoln) stepped down as Secretary of War, he was heard to yell "WAR? HAH !!! GOOD GOD, YA'LL, WHAT IS IT GOOD FOR? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, SAY IT AGAIN, NOW !!!"
And don't forget, Tolstoy orginally wanted to call "War and Peace," WAR, WHAT IS IT GOOD FOR
Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:13 PM   #144
Blarg
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chairmoistening Sector 7G
Posts: 53,533
Re: pointless knowledge

I can't figure out what that sentence means.
Blarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:14 PM   #145
Dominic
Tripod
 
Dominic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Vegas
Posts: 57,025
Re: pointless knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blarg View Post
I can't figure out what that sentence means.
wiki it....it explains it thoroughly.
Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:17 PM   #146
MrWookie
Don't Call Me Shirley
 
MrWookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Treating my drinking problem.
Posts: 80,686
Re: pointless knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
wrong:

"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo." is a grammatically correct sentence used as an example of how homonyms and homophones can be used to create complicated constructs.
You're slow on the draw here, buddy.
MrWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:19 PM   #147
thirddan
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: what hump?
Posts: 11,695
Re: pointless knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveT View Post
The monkeys theory has been disproven.

http://warp.povusers.org/grrr/monkeys.html

This is a good start, but there have been entire chapters in interesting books dedicated to this cause.
thanks for the link...interesting article...it basically says that although its very likely that the works of shakespeare would be produced it is not guaranteed...basically there are an infinite series of keystrokes that do not equal shakespeares writing so that it would take an infinite amount of time to get through those before getting to shakespeare...infinitys is fun
thirddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:33 PM   #148
Landonfan
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Landonfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: nought nowhere was never reached
Posts: 11,195
Re: pointless knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudzudemon View Post
::: triple sigh :::

No, and in fact, a dictionary doesn't arbitrarily assign definition; it merely indicates how it is used with as much precision as possible. Usage inevitably defines the word, not the other way around. So if you want to maintain that your scientific acuity is such that you wish to question the definition of such a word, be my guest. Most of the world, including those who are considered experts in their field, are perfectly comfortable using the word in said context. Once it reaches this stage, it becomes more than just an "opinion".

Such arbitrary labeling is not unusual. But it is generally more of a hindrance to making a point than an enhancement of it. You can call your dick a flashlight, if you wish, and no one can say you are right or wrong. You are simply assigning it a title. However, until it attains a level of usage, it will not be considered as such by any but yourself. The word "flashlight", to most, will have a set and solitary meaning that has no phallic connotations. Unless they are subliminal, and Freud was right after all.

Take, for instance, this example: "You cannot hum an entire song while holding your nose." Technically speaking, you can. You can hold the tip of your nose, or the top, or in a way that doesn't impede the passage of air. Or you can find a song that is a few seconds long. However, "holding your nose" is generally considered to mean holding it in such a way that air cannot escape or get in, as in when one gets a whiff of the fart. To do this, and hum a song of reasonable length is, indeed, impossible to do. At some point, the air being shot through the voice box to produce a sound will have to be expelled. With one's nose held as per popular usage, and with one's mouth kept shut, expulsion cannot be achieved. The reasonable gist of the sentence is indeed true, in spite of technicalities that may indicate otherwise. Unless you stand to make a bundle on a bar bet that is tethered on such a technicality, pointing such out is less enlightenment or term-defining than douchebaggery of the most pathetic stripe.

Like I said, the logic of a semantic dodge is often unassailable. But it is rarely a salient point, either. You were the one who wished to define the terms, then balked when it was done and it led to a conclusion you didn't care for. If you don't wish to be questioned, then stop throwing out incorrect little posts that merely argue a point that you know less about than you think, as you did in your initial response to pfsr_cain. Interesting that every post you have made to this thread has been one of commentary, not contribution. You've given not one piece of pointless knowledge, in spite of your proclamations to have a head full of them, so you popped off in an effort to show you had a valid contribution with a smarmy "exposing" of someone else's well intentioned post. I think you may have spent a little too much time on some of the Yay-hoo forums and picked up some bad habits.

Sometimes I find you amusing, entertaining, and even enlightening, Landon, in spite of your borderline creepy obsession with underage gymnasts. But this is not one of those times.
I'm not reading all this so I guess you win.

I would like to point out that 17 is not underage, though.
Landonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:09 PM   #149
John Cole
Lounge Nighthawk
 
John Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to Know
Posts: 11,766
Re: pointless knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landonfan View Post
I'm not reading all this so I guess you win.

I would like to point out that 17 is not underage, though.
Kudzu wins by resorting to sheer verbosity!

Samuel Johnson famously defined "Lexicographer" as "A writer of dictionaries; a harmless drudge that busies himself in tracing the original, and detailing the signification of words."

He also offered this definition of "network": "Any thing reticulated or decussated, at equal distances, with interstices between the intersections."
John Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:35 PM   #150
kudzudemon
Pooh-Bah
 
kudzudemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Planet Bubba
Posts: 3,542
Re: pointless knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landonfan View Post
I would like to point out that 17 is not underage, though.
It is if she's
A) in some states, like here in Tennessee, or
B) My daughter
kudzudemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.33 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ę 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online