Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

The Lounge: Discussion+Review For discussion and debate about arts, movies+TV, music, reading+literature, style, fashion, history, culture and many more subjects

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2014, 11:09 PM   #76
zikzak
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
zikzak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 18,303
Re: Plot holes in Great movies

Pretty sure this is the best thing ever written about time travel:

http://www.abyssapexzine.com/wikihistory/
zikzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:10 PM   #77
Lattimer
I are smart
 
Lattimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 11,347
Re: Plot holes in Great movies

Maybe someone invented it 15 billion years ago, created a paradox, and destroyed his universe... thus giving birth to this one.
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:21 PM   #78
Shuffle
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,602
Re: Plot holes in Great movies

George Carlin invented time travel and Bill and Ted kidnapped him for their history project. He was never seen again. The end.
Shuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:54 PM   #79
dinopoker
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
dinopoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Must...bet...more!
Posts: 7,311
Re: Plot holes in Great movies

The T1000 was able to imitate things at the molecular level. Therefore when in human form, it's molecular coding for its exoskeleton was human tissue and thus was the machine fooled.

In T1 the rebels had broken into skynet headquarters and smashed its defense grid, so only one t101 was sent back. Later the resistance learned that it had also sent back a new experimental t1000 to the period when john was a teenager.

Skyfall was, in fact, not good.
dinopoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:16 PM   #80
pwnsall
CFBBPC
 
pwnsall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 50,179
Re: Plot holes in Great movies

when it gets shot it's metalish not fleshlike
pwnsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:16 PM   #81
dinopoker
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
dinopoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Must...bet...more!
Posts: 7,311
Re: Plot holes in Great movies

Sure, because underneath it's liquid metal, not blood and bone.
dinopoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:35 AM   #82
MSchu18
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MSchu18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 13,107
Re: Plot holes in Great movies

Time travel IS possible... its just a one way trip though. Forward.
MSchu18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:53 AM   #83
A-Rod's Cousin
banned
 
A-Rod's Cousin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Michelle Wie=the next Michelle Wie.
Posts: 37,168
Re: Plot holes in Great movies

I caught a not-great movie today on TV called Revenge of the Nerds II. It's a decent bad movie, though. Wore that VHS tape out in the '80s.

Anyway they ....
Spoiler:
A-Rod's Cousin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:07 AM   #84
Ryan Firpo
BET RAISE FOLD Director
 
Ryan Firpo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: W. Hollywood
Posts: 1,586
Re: Plot holes in Great movies

Not exactly a plot hole but an annoying character inconsistency that always bothered me in Pulp Fiction: When Bruce Willis is fleeing the fight (after he killed the other boxer), he gets in a cab driven by "Esmerelda Villa Lobos". He reads her name out loud off her driver's license and totally butchers the pronunciation. Then he seems surprised/confused when she explains the translation means "of the wolves". Later, when he's in the hotel room with his French/Lebanese girlfriend, they start speculating about where they'll travel. He says South America and she says, "but I don't speak Spanish". Then he precedes to give her a rudimentary Spanish lesson repeating phrases like "where is the shoe store?" and several others (some more complicated). He appears to have a basic grasp of and confidence in the language, and anyone with basic Spanish skills would have pronounced "Villa Lobos" correctly and known it meant "of the wolves".

It always bothered me because it made me feel like Quentin just wrote all the Spanish lesson stuff in the girlfriend scene because it was a clever way to end the scene -- without considering the cab interaction earlier...

As I write this, I realize it sounds super nitty. Or maybe not?
Ryan Firpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:42 AM   #85
malachi9
centurion
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Saint Louis MO
Posts: 106
Re: Plot holes in Great movies

Not a "great" film but something that has always bugged me about Oceans 11.

When they are robbing the vault. Rusty is on the phone with Benedict and explains that they will be sending bags full of money marked with X's up in the elevator. The security guards are suppose to load it into the back of the remote controlled van. They show the guards transferring the money to the van and then they start to follow it. The "swat" team then shows up and lowers down the elevator shaft to "take" the vault. The "swat" team then takes the actual money out in bags they are carrying. How did they get the large bags of "money" (turned out to be advertisements for hookers) into the vault to send up to the guards to put in the van? It wouldn't all fit in the container Yen was hiding in and the swat team could not have carried it down to the vault as they arrive after the van left the casino.

Drives me crazy.
malachi9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:15 AM   #86
BigPoppa
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
BigPoppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Solitary,poor,nasty, brutish, short
Posts: 22,220
Re: Plot holes in Great movies

Pulp Fiction takes place in LA, where Spanish derived place names are almost never and surnames are only sometimes given proper Spanish pronunciations (i.e. Sepulveda, Los Feliz, Villaragosa, and the name Los Angeles itself). Only Rodeo Drive is pronounced properly, and then only in Beverly Hills (further south it's pronounced the way Americans normally say rodeo).
BigPoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:16 AM   #87
BigPoppa
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
BigPoppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Solitary,poor,nasty, brutish, short
Posts: 22,220
Re: Plot holes in Great movies

Couldn't the idiot twins have dropped the flyers down the elevator shaft?

Or is there any way they were never down there to start with?
BigPoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:11 AM   #88
malachi9
centurion
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Saint Louis MO
Posts: 106
Re: Plot holes in Great movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPoppa View Post
Couldn't the idiot twins have dropped the flyers down the elevator shaft?

Or is there any way they were never down there to start with?
They were only down there as part of the swat team. The only people that were in the vault before then were Yen-to attach the explosives to blow open the vault, Danny Ocean and Linus-to knock out the guards near the vault/elevator.
malachi9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:55 AM   #89
somigosaden
journeyman
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: sean-a-paul, somigosaden
Posts: 354
Re: Plot holes in Great movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Firpo View Post
Not exactly a plot hole but an annoying character inconsistency that always bothered me in Pulp Fiction: When Bruce Willis is fleeing the fight (after he killed the other boxer), he gets in a cab driven by "Esmerelda Villa Lobos". He reads her name out loud off her driver's license and totally butchers the pronunciation. Then he seems surprised/confused when she explains the translation means "of the wolves". Later, when he's in the hotel room with his French/Lebanese girlfriend, they start speculating about where they'll travel. He says South America and she says, "but I don't speak Spanish". Then he precedes to give her a rudimentary Spanish lesson repeating phrases like "where is the shoe store?" and several others (some more complicated). He appears to have a basic grasp of and confidence in the language, and anyone with basic Spanish skills would have pronounced "Villa Lobos" correctly and known it meant "of the wolves".

It always bothered me because it made me feel like Quentin just wrote all the Spanish lesson stuff in the girlfriend scene because it was a clever way to end the scene -- without considering the cab interaction earlier...

As I write this, I realize it sounds super nitty. Or maybe not?
When does she explain her name means "of the wolves"?

Also, it doesn't mean "of the wolves." Esmerelda doesn't mean anything, and "Villa Lobos" would translate as "Village Wolves" or "Wolves Village."

somigosaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:48 AM   #90
zikzak
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
zikzak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 18,303
Re: Plot holes in Great movies

Looking for plot holes in any of the Ocean's X movies is like... oh hell, I can't even come up with an analogy that's more appropriate than "looking for plot holes in an Ocean's X movie".
zikzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:50 AM   #91
zikzak
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
zikzak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 18,303
Re: Plot holes in Great movies

Complaining about a hole in Swiss cheese?
zikzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:11 AM   #92
Lattimer
I are smart
 
Lattimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 11,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by malachi9 View Post
Not a "great" film but something that has always bugged me about Oceans 11.

When they are robbing the vault. Rusty is on the phone with Benedict and explains that they will be sending bags full of money marked with X's up in the elevator. The security guards are suppose to load it into the back of the remote controlled van. They show the guards transferring the money to the van and then they start to follow it. The "swat" team then shows up and lowers down the elevator shaft to "take" the vault. The "swat" team then takes the actual money out in bags they are carrying. How did they get the large bags of "money" (turned out to be advertisements for hookers) into the vault to send up to the guards to put in the van? It wouldn't all fit in the container Yen was hiding in and the swat team could not have carried it down to the vault as they arrive after the van left the casino.

Drives me crazy.
The writers even admitted this wasn't possible.
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:14 AM   #93
KennyJPowers
adept
 
KennyJPowers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 1,161
Re: Plot holes in Great movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes9324 View Post
I bitched about this in the original movie discussion thread, but in The Wolf of Wall Street a major plot event hinges on the hero having to be in Switzerland in 24 hours or else - which results in them sinking his yacht in a huge storm. Apparently, using THE ****ING HELICOPTER on the yacht wasn't an option. Bugged the **** out of me.

MM MD
Kinda glad they didn't take the helicopter though that boat scene was hilarious
KennyJPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:19 AM   #94
KennyJPowers
adept
 
KennyJPowers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 1,161
Re: Plot holes in Great movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lattimer View Post
Maybe someone invented it 15 billion years ago, created a paradox, and destroyed his universe... thus giving birth to this one.
I think this is a serious theory that a past generation created some powerful technology and nuked the universe creating point zero again, maybe that was the big bang.
KennyJPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:55 AM   #95
MSchu18
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MSchu18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 13,107
Re: Plot holes in Great movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by somigosaden View Post
When does she explain her name means "of the wolves"?

Also, it doesn't mean "of the wolves." Esmerelda doesn't mean anything, and "Villa Lobos" would translate as "Village Wolves" or "Wolves Village."

lol... I am pretty sure Villa DOES NOT mean village
MSchu18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:12 PM   #96
AngusThermopyle
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
AngusThermopyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Floor Yellow
Posts: 14,301
Re: Plot holes in Great movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu18 View Post
lol... I am pretty sure Villa DOES NOT mean village
Wiki

And Esmerelda means 'emerald', the gem.
AngusThermopyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:33 PM   #97
A-Rod's Cousin
banned
 
A-Rod's Cousin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Michelle Wie=the next Michelle Wie.
Posts: 37,168
Re: Plot holes in Great movies

Yeah it also bugs me in Oceans 11 when the 2 thugs outside the door where the giant 6'9" guy is supposed to be beating up Clooney, over several minutes, never once happen to open the door to peek inside - even when the electricity goes out. They just stand outside the door that entire time until Clooney gets back. lol @ that. Wouldn't one of them just go in and probably help just for fun?
A-Rod's Cousin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:45 PM   #98
MSchu18
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MSchu18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 13,107
Re: Plot holes in Great movies

the House of Emerald Wolf's
MSchu18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:18 PM   #99
PokerDharma
veteran
 
PokerDharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: The 8 Seat
Posts: 2,111
Re: Plot holes in Great movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranberry Tea View Post
Any kind of time travel movie is inherently going to have huge plot holes that you just have to go along with. It's just something you have to deal with when the movie's premise is a logical impossibility.
Back to the Future didn't have any plot holes. Absolute perfection.
PokerDharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 03:43 PM   #100
KennyJPowers
adept
 
KennyJPowers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 1,161
Re: Plot holes in Great movies

Just watched Abyss again found another plot hole. how does that guy breath the water stuff when he goes really deep at the end. think about it thats drowning when your lungs fill up with fluid and you cant push it out
KennyJPowers is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.33 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ę 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online