Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

The Lounge: Discussion+Review For discussion and debate about arts, movies+TV, music, reading+literature, style, fashion, history, culture and many more subjects

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 11:21 PM   #24351
Baltimore Jones
Pooh-Bah
 
Baltimore Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,714
Re: Movies: Talk About What You've Seen Lately--Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackize5 View Post
Wait, a better version of no country for old men? And it only gets 4/5? NCFOM is fantastic and essentially flawless imo.
All Ghost in the Shell 2017 sins are forgiven.
Baltimore Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:49 AM   #24352
Dominic
Tripod
 
Dominic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Vegas
Posts: 58,890
Re: Movies: Talk About What You've Seen Lately--Part 3

Saw Forgetting Sarah Marshall. Pretty good. I really want to see the Dracula puppet musical at the end, though. That was better than anything else.
Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:59 AM   #24353
riverboatking
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
riverboatking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: sherwood forest
Posts: 20,433
Re: Movies: Talk About What You've Seen Lately--Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopstick View Post
rbk, I realize you are lolrbk, but you may want to take a look at these links:

A Companion to Indie Film

Reel Terror

The Fight over "Broadway Brawler"

The Best of Times for Bruce

Variety

Yes, Willis expressed interest in TSS, but it was because he had to pick something since he was forced to make the Disney movies as a result of the BB blowout. Willis didn't even want Shyamalan to direct, and fought for a more experienced director. Vogel held his ground on that one, but it wasn't because Willis was buddies with Shyamalan.

We can agree to disagree on whether or not Willis is a good actor, but you might want to know that he sides with me on that issue.

Here are what two 3rd parties you may recognize had to say about Willis in TSS:

Ebert: "The film opens with the mayor presenting him with a citation, and that moment precisely marks the beginning of his professional decline. He goes down with a sort of doomed dignity."

NYTimes: "For Mr. Willis, the movie continues the unpromising track he took with ''Mercury Rising,'' in which his character goes through hell to save the life of an autistic child. "
lol bro did you actually read any of the articles you linked?

literally not a single word in any of them backs up anything your saying or contradicts a single thing in my post.

I feel like u have to be trolling cuz otherwise can't understand why on earth you would go thru the effort of linking all those articles that have absolutely nothing to do with what I said. literally the only relevant thing in those articles was that Willis was contractually obligated to star in another Disney film, a fact not in dispute.

but pls show a single quote from any of your links that contradicts anything I said.

I mean I don't even know why I bothered to respond when you start by saying "lolrbk" then proceed to make literally no argument whatsoever and just link a bunch of articles that had nothing to do with anything figuring ppl would be too lazy to actually read them and just assume they were relevant.

not sure why ur so determined to defend ur position which is objectively incorrect (not referring to ur opinion of his acting skill but his desire/sincere interest in working on the project) but so far you've failed miserably.

also your reading comprehension could use some work as I never said he was buddy buddy with M night and I even stated his agent tried to get M night replaced as director (but it was his agent NOT Willis and this happened well before production ever started so it was in no way a reflection on his work the agent just wanted a big name director and we don't even know if Willis was aware of any of this, and once production actually started there were zero issues on the set and zero reported problems between night and bruce a fact supported by them working together on future films), but that in no way supports the rest of your argument which you clearly just made up in your head with no supporting evidence and then instead of just admitting u were wrong doubled down on ur ignorance while personally attacking me despite the fact I'm actually citing well researched sources not variety articles that don't even have anything to do with the topic.

cliffs:

1) you have zero proof Willis ever fought to get him removed the fact his agent tried to have him removed (well before production ever started) does not mean Willis fought to have him removed and the way you present it is very misleading ad all this happened way before any of them met and started working together.

2) you act like the fact he was obligated to make another Disney film makes it insignificant that he demanded to star in this low budget film from a 1st time unknown screenwriter. there were tons of other scripts he could have chosen and not only did he demand to star in this one despite Disney's objections but he remained committed to the project even after Disney made it clear that the unknown 1st time director would in fact direct the film.
how after all that you can say he didn't actually care about the film and was just phoning it in to fulfill his contract is just absurd and flies in the face of all logic.
and if he was just phoning it in why would night be so happy to work with him again once he was a big time famous hot director who could now get his choice of movie stars?

Last edited by riverboatking; Today at 05:13 AM. Reason: apologize for my terrible grammar I'm typing on my phone and it's way too hard/tilting
riverboatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:00 AM   #24354
RichGangi
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
RichGangi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Unearned income my a**!
Posts: 7,167
Re: Movies: Talk About What You've Seen Lately--Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana man View Post
Hell or High Water Basically a better version of NCFOM. Enjoyed this. 4/5


I liked HoHW, but.....wow. No way.
RichGangi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:55 AM   #24355
Banana man
veteran
 
Banana man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,312
Re: Movies: Talk About What You've Seen Lately--Part 3

saw Arrival last night. Not impressed

Interstellar >>>>> Arrival
Banana man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:18 AM   #24356
Clovis8
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Having a beer with Charles Darwin
Posts: 11,653
Re: Movies: Talk About What You've Seen Lately--Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana man View Post
saw Arrival last night. Not impressed

Interstellar >>>>> Arrival

Interstellar is a D- overall with an F- ending.
Arrival is an A
Clovis8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:36 AM   #24357
biggerboat
you're gonna need one
 
biggerboat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sunny Florida
Posts: 41,856
Re: Movies: Talk About What You've Seen Lately--Part 3

Got a new TV. Everything (movies, etc.) looks like it is shot on home video. Am I imagining this?
biggerboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:09 AM   #24358
Clovis8
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Having a beer with Charles Darwin
Posts: 11,653
Re: Movies: Talk About What You've Seen Lately--Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerboat View Post
Got a new TV. Everything (movies, etc.) looks like it is shot on home video. Am I imagining this?
Setup is very important with new tvs. I'm guessing you have it setup incorrectly.
Clovis8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:12 AM   #24359
Phat Mack
Pooh-Bah
 
Phat Mack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: People's Republic of Texas
Posts: 5,727
Re: Movies: Talk About What You've Seen Lately--Part 3

Got to see Seven Samurai last night on the big screen.

Some things I noted:

I've seen this movie ~half a dozen times in a theater, but I've only watched it once on TV -- most of the time it comes on I lose interest and usually turn it off after a few minutes. It just doesn't not translate well to the small screen. But on a big screen it is riveting. (We need to make it illegal to show this flick on TV. The one time government intervention in the arts is needed, its missing.)

Kurosawa takes his time telling the story. I can't imagine Seven Samurai being made today. 45 minutes into it, only two of the samurai have been assembled.

Japanese films are beautiful purveyors of sentimentality, but there is nothing sentimental about the killing in this movie. It's brutal.

I've always regarded Seven Samurai as early on Kurosawa's learning curve (an etude, if you will), but now I think of it as a masterpiece in its own right.
Phat Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:32 AM   #24360
Malice's Attorney
veteran
 
Malice's Attorney's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,342
Re: Movies: Talk About What You've Seen Lately--Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerboat View Post
Got a new TV. Everything (movies, etc.) looks like it is shot on home video. Am I imagining this?
That's your frame rate settings, you likely have the smooth/higher fps on.
Malice's Attorney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:00 PM   #24361
Baltimore Jones
Pooh-Bah
 
Baltimore Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,714
Re: Movies: Talk About What You've Seen Lately--Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerboat View Post
Got a new TV. Everything (movies, etc.) looks like it is shot on home video. Am I imagining this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice's Attorney View Post
That's your frame rate settings, you likely have the smooth/higher fps on.
Yea, there is usually something with a hi-tech sounding name like "MotionPlus Smooth" that is the culprit, turn it off.

I'd also do a search for "TV calibration" for your exact model. There are sites that will tell you what your brightness should be, contrast, etc., for the correct picture. Most people have their TVs way too bright.
Baltimore Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:02 PM   #24362
pwnsall
CFBBPC
 
pwnsall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 49,781
Re: Movies: Talk About What You've Seen Lately--Part 3

I've watched some shows at people's houses like that and it's tough to not just change the settings for them.
pwnsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:54 PM   #24363
BustoRhymes
Grand Elf
 
BustoRhymes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Once more into the fray
Posts: 24,762
Re: Movies: Talk About What You've Seen Lately--Part 3

What if you like soap opera mode
BustoRhymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:00 PM   #24364
chopstick
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
chopstick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: where the weather suits my clothes
Posts: 6,605
Re: Movies: Talk About What You've Seen Lately--Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverboatking View Post
literally not a single word in any of them backs up anything your saying or contradicts a single thing in my post.

but pls show a single quote from any of your links that contradicts anything I said.
Sure, no problem!


Quote:
Originally Posted by riverboatking View Post
at the time M night was total unknown and it was going to be his 1st film he was directing
A Companion Guide to Indie Film:

Quote:
However, the background and independence of wunder-kind writer-director M. Night Shyamalan gave The Sixth Sense a distinctive indie stature
Quote:
Shyamalan was a brash NYU film school grad who signed a three-picture deal with Miramax in 1995 and battled Harvey Weinstein on his first feature, Wide Awake

rbk, you are wrong yet again.

wroooooooooooooooooooooong

wrong, wrong, wrooooooong!


Wide Awake was a $6m budget Miramax film which Shyamalan directed. Before directing The Sixth Sense. TSS was decidedly not the first film that Shyamalan directed. It was the third film he directed if you go by his wiki filmography or his IMDB page. People already knew who he was, to the point that Miramax gave him a $6m budget and the director's chair for Wide Awake.


Here's a bonus one for you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverboatking View Post
I even stated his agent tried to get M night replaced as director (but it was his agent NOT Willis
From A Companion to Indie Film:

Quote:
Willis urged Hollywood Pictures head David Vogel to bring in a more experienced director, but Vogel stuck by the agreement to let Shyamalan direct

wrong again! wroooooooooooooong!

In fact, if you look at the part of Disney Wars that discusses this, it specifically states:

Quote:
The next day Rifkind called Vogel. Willis wanted to play the role of Malcolm Crowe, the child psychologist. "The script is good, but Night's not directing," he said.

Vogel realized the star treatment was starting. "He has a pay-and-play commitment," Vogel explained.
If you still think that Rifkind unilaterally made the decision to try and cut Shyamalan, you are even more lolrbk than I thought! He was just the messenger, as your own source (and only source you've "cited") shows. Willis was infamous for throwing his weight around like this, and doing so was the entire reason Broadway Brawler went sideways in the first place.


I could keep going, but you are literally like a dog with a bone when stuff like this, and you just can't ever let something go, no matter how wrong you are. I originally cited five different sources and provided direct links to them, and your only source has been "I read Disney Wars once and think I remember part of it" which I then directly cited to show you how you are wrong yet again.

I'm done with this because I know that no amount of directly quoted facts and citations will ever stop you from letting the bone go now that you've gone full rbk, but enjoy being wrong, I guess.



in summary:

lolrbk




Spoiler:
chopstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:38 PM   #24365
samuri8
adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Flyover country
Posts: 952
Re: Movies: Talk About What You've Seen Lately--Part 3

Yeah, bigger boat, it's the auto smoothing thing or whatever it's called, for some reason it's on by default.
samuri8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:00 PM   #24366
riverboatking
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
riverboatking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: sherwood forest
Posts: 20,433
Re: Movies: Talk About What You've Seen Lately--Part 3

lol chopstick.
I would say more but I think ur posts speak for themselves.

but do pls tell us more about how u know the intimate details of willis' relationship with his agent, the nature of their private conversations and also how u know the real truth of what goes on inside willis' head when it comes to his desires and motivations.

also LOLOLOLOL at u trying to present Night as an established director and not some total unknown before 6th sense cuz he made some tiny indy film no one ever heard of.
riverboatking is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.33 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ę 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online