Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Puzzles and Other Games Discussions about Puzzles and other non-gambling games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2017, 08:08 PM   #26
leavesofliberty
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: horseshoe hammond
Posts: 5,623
Re: Stratego anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabethebabe View Post
Is there any decent AI available online?
Not that I know of. A decent AI is not likely to happen any time soon, because it's more complicated than Chess. Also, there's less people playing Stratego than Chess.
leavesofliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:51 PM   #27
wheatrich
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
wheatrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 13,031
Re: Stratego anyone?

last multiplayer game I ever played (as a kid obv) I won in 2 moves and then said "I'm never playing you in any game ever again".

I kept my word but sigh @ bad things you say as a kid...
wheatrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:58 PM   #28
kioshk
Nixonian
 
kioshk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: now Watergate does not bother me
Posts: 89,991
Re: Stratego anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavesofliberty View Post
Not that I know of. A decent AI is not likely to happen any time soon, because it's more complicated than Chess. Also, there's less people playing Stratego than Chess.
Is Stratego more complicated than chess for reals? I did not know that.

Also it would be fewer people not less people cause people are discrete.
kioshk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:45 AM   #29
iraisetoomuch
Using one time every time
 
iraisetoomuch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 12,178
Re: Stratego anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kioshk View Post
Is Stratego more complicated than chess for reals? I did not know that.

Also it would be fewer people not less people cause people are discrete.
The internet says so ldo must be true.
But aside that, more pieces per side, so more combinations of possible positions / outcomes.
And information isn't perfect so even when the number of pieces drops to the same as in Chess, just the possible positions would be far greater than in chess, let alone the possible future positions.
iraisetoomuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:45 AM   #30
Gabethebabe
Malware Jedi
 
Gabethebabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In front of my monitor
Posts: 21,219
Re: Stratego anyone?

Well, Stratego is imperfect information, so much harder to find a decent strategy than in perfect information games like Chess.
Gabethebabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:36 AM   #31
leavesofliberty
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: horseshoe hammond
Posts: 5,623
Re: Stratego anyone?

Yes, more combinations in Stratego, I believe, because of the imperfect information, and more pieces, but the movement is far more restricted. It'd be an interesting math problem to count the number of arrangements possible for each side's starting position.
leavesofliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:36 AM   #32
Gabethebabe
Malware Jedi
 
Gabethebabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In front of my monitor
Posts: 21,219
Re: Stratego anyone?

Barely interesting.

In the standard variant with 8 scouts, 6 bombs, 5 miners, 4 Captains, lieutenants and sergeants, 3 Majors, 2 colonels the amount of setups is 40!/(8! * 6! * 5! * 4! * 4! * 4! * 3! * 2!) = 1.4E33
Gabethebabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:09 AM   #33
leavesofliberty
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: horseshoe hammond
Posts: 5,623
Re: Stratego anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabethebabe View Post
Barely interesting.

In the standard variant with 8 scouts, 6 bombs, 5 miners, 4 Captains, lieutenants and sergeants, 3 Majors, 2 colonels the amount of setups is 40!/(8! * 6! * 5! * 4! * 4! * 4! * 3! * 2!) = 1.4E33
Right, well a decent AI would likely place pieces in descending ranks into heirarchies, and compute "board control" or something like that. The game becomes much less complicated learning-wise as the pieces come off and there are lots of positions where an extra major should be sufficient, because you trade-off controlling the three "swim lanes" (left flank, right flank, center), and then the major controls the vital territory. An AI would also be able to draw when it's the end of the game, and the AI has a Scout left, and an unapproachable flag (bombed off with no enemy miners), and would be able to find draws in the game trees. I'd THINK that Stratego might be less complicated computer science wise than chess, but more complicated math wise than chess. Similarily Omaha 8/b might be more complicated math wise, but less complicated strategically, than Hold'em.

Thanks for doing the math btw, now I remember how to do those types of problems. Out of practice.
leavesofliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:42 AM   #34
Gabethebabe
Malware Jedi
 
Gabethebabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In front of my monitor
Posts: 21,219
Re: Stratego anyone?

Surely Stratego is much harder computer science wise than chess because of incomplete information and many more pieces, therefore many more combinations.
Gabethebabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:55 AM   #35
leavesofliberty
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: horseshoe hammond
Posts: 5,623
Re: Stratego anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabethebabe View Post
Surely Stratego is much harder computer science wise than chess because of incomplete information and many more pieces, therefore many more combinations.
But, think of Omaha 8/b for example, many more combinations, is it truly more complicated? You can find general rules, I think. I have not researched AI enough to know. I think it's entirely possible that you can take an advantage, squeeze off the choke points, capture the flag, and keep a draw in reserve, and have a powerful opponent without the complexity of chess. The other factor is that chess players are more advanced as there is a larger community, so it is comparing apples to oranges in that regard.

If you're talking about the perspective of solving the game, then Stratego is more complicated. Otherwise, I am not sure which one is more complicated. What I am saying is that a larger game tree is not necessarily a more complicated one.
leavesofliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:42 AM   #36
leavesofliberty
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: horseshoe hammond
Posts: 5,623
Re: Stratego anyone?

Take for example the case of a standard Stratego draw.

It can be defined like this, "In this scenario, our army is outmatched, but our Flag is unapproachable, because our opponent has no Miner(s) left, and it is Bombed off. In our Army, we have at least one Scout left, and can move the Scout back and forth, and therefore cannot lose."

You do not need to do billions of calculations to solve that entire tree, and recognize it as a draw, even if you were programming an AI. This is perhaps the best use of an AI in Stratego. And, you have simplified billions, perhaps trillions of leaves in a game tree with this simple algorithm. This would be my starting point if I were to make a Stratego AI.

Then you expand it, recognize that you need to have the dominent army, and at least one Miner left to win the game.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say the game is far more balanced than chess percentage wise and the first move matters far less. It may be a provable draw (though not in my lifetime), but I think Stratego should be thought of a game of draws, and going for a win early on is usually a mistake. So, I play defensive Stratego now.

AI, I think it's possible to have a few algorithms for what good play looks like, and then construct the AI with a simplified game tree, like, "Have the suprior Army, control the lanes, look for double-threats, and trap the weaker pieces." And have a few sentences like that into stored algorithms, and it wouldn't be too bad.

Now, here's where it becomes interesting. With chess, to calculate a draw, you either need to consult a massive database with all games with 7 pieces each remaining which has been pre-solved (win,loss,draw for each position), and then try to reduce the millions of combinations to find the best outcomes using some programming to analyse position and material. Either it seems to me that chess seems far more complicated at this, or I simply do not understand the finer points of Stratego, which is possible, because there aren't all that many "finer points", because it is by far the less analyzed game.

td;dr

Stratego seems simpler if you do not think of it in terms of raw calculation, but algorithms to guide you to victory (or draws).
leavesofliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:46 PM   #37
Gabethebabe
Malware Jedi
 
Gabethebabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In front of my monitor
Posts: 21,219
Re: Stratego anyone?

If anyone wants to play a game at www.stratego.com/play
Fun game it is

Signup is free, only if you want to pimp your account with nonstandard artwork or more setup slots, you need to pay
Gabethebabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:10 PM   #38
iraisetoomuch
Using one time every time
 
iraisetoomuch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 12,178
Re: Stratego anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabethebabe View Post
If anyone wants to play a game at www.stratego.com/play
Fun game it is

Signup is free, only if you want to pimp your account with nonstandard artwork or more setup slots, you need to pay
Find me in a week or two and I'll be happy to have you kick my butt a few games.
iraisetoomuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 01:22 AM   #39
leavesofliberty
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: horseshoe hammond
Posts: 5,623
Re: Stratego anyone?

I am such a n00b, can barely get up to 250 after playing lots and lots of games.
leavesofliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 01:53 AM   #40
Gabethebabe
Malware Jedi
 
Gabethebabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In front of my monitor
Posts: 21,219
Re: Stratego anyone?

I have played only 7 games. Lost first two, then won 5 in a row.

My nick is OUWESOK
Gabethebabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 02:52 AM   #41
leavesofliberty
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: horseshoe hammond
Posts: 5,623
Re: Stratego anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabethebabe View Post
I have played only 7 games. Lost first two, then won 5 in a row.

My nick is OUWESOK
Okay, I'll try to play you. I record the video on my laptop. My nick is leavesofliberty. I think I'm only like ~220 right now. Currently checking out Stratego Bob's YT which is 400+.
leavesofliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:41 AM   #42
Gabethebabe
Malware Jedi
 
Gabethebabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In front of my monitor
Posts: 21,219
Re: Stratego anyone?

5 wins got me from 100 to 163 - Bronze Sergeant.

For me it is tough to make time between family matters and work

Dunno how I can add you as a friend without seeing you in the list
Gabethebabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:11 PM   #43
Gabethebabe
Malware Jedi
 
Gabethebabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In front of my monitor
Posts: 21,219
Re: Stratego anyone?

Bronze General already @stratego.com, winning 14/18

Having started with 3 losses (one of which because I quit during setup) that is a nice comeback

If I hadn't drilled my general into a first row bomb, I would have had a win streak of 15, since I was nicely ahead in that one too

The biggest error of bronze players is to give away cheaply the position of their big pieces.

No idea where my peak will be bronze-silver-gold-platinum, but silver for sure and platinum surely not. I forget pieces too often
Gabethebabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 04:50 AM   #44
Gabethebabe
Malware Jedi
 
Gabethebabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In front of my monitor
Posts: 21,219
Re: Stratego anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavesofliberty View Post
Okay, I'll try to play you. I record the video on my laptop. My nick is leavesofliberty. I think I'm only like ~220 right now. Currently checking out Stratego Bob's YT which is 400+.
I find bob's videos unwatchable. His style isn't mine. I would highly recommend to view the games of maxroelofs. You will learn various good strategies. Mainly the power of the unknown piece. Strong players use that a lot and keep you guessing and pressure you to make mistakes by losing material or exposing your own big pieces for way too little.

Also chocking a player side by placing two higher pieces in front of two known pieces so he cannot use an entire wing and has less space to maneuvre. Weak players end up hitting your pieces out of curiosity and you win free material. If not, you enjoy your space advantage.

I have climbed up to 300+ and Silver Spy. My first two Silver opponents were aggro. One was a retard who managed to hit bombs with both general and marshal before even capturing a captain.

The other guy played a more controlled Marshall Blitz and kept his general+spy in defense while attacking with Marshall and Colonel supported by miners and scouts. He took a Major. I exchanged generals and allowed his spy to flee and found a major. His scouts ran out, so he started banging with his colonel into my structure until he hit my marshal. I trapped his major between a major and colonel and he misguessed so I was a clean colonel up and some small material down. He played the endgame terribly, moving too many pieces and while my colonel controlled his major and my major controlled his captain, my captain created havoc and allowed a minor to capture his flag. gg.
Gabethebabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online