Originally Posted by McAvoy
What are the top 5 pieces of advice you'd give someone about to get married?
1. Make sure you are ready. People who get married after knowing somebody for 2 or 3 months confuse the hell out of me. People change over time, get to know them first, get to know what happens when they have things in their life that will affect them to the point of change. Then get married.
2. If at all possible, get married before having kids or getting pregnant. This is something I didn't get to do and is a bit of a regret. You need time to be a married couple before you are married parents.
3. Decide on things such as number of children you will have, what religion they will be raised in, etc etc before getting married. Note: People change. Their opinions on things change. While you have to be open to change on these types of things, also know that this is something that you decided and agreed upon. If one person's feelings on this change, and the others does not, its very easy to destroy the relationship.
4. Nice weddings are nice, but don't blow your wad on it. There is so much **** you have to start buying after getting married, starting off in the hole in order to pay for a big wedding is stupid.
5. Remember that both you and your spouse will change over time, Marriage is supposed to represent a lifetime commitment. If you are not willing to accept changes that come to a person, and aren't willing to work through them in the best way you can when they come, then don't get married. From what I hear, divorce is time consuming, expensive and a terrible experience. If you are so set in your ways that change is going to **** you up, skip the marriage thing, because things wont be the same 1,5,10,25 years down the line.