Originally Posted by PPABryan
Every day, people join the PPA successfully, and for that we are grateful. Currently we have a system in place that shows and tracks every single transaction, both successful and unsuccessful, that is attempted on our join page. Over 98% of our transactions are successful on the first attempt. We are working hard to iron out every issue that causes the other 2% of transactions that do not succeed, after correcting user error, to get as close to 100% success as possible. The best way to find out about these errors are by using the simple and easy contact form on our website, or contacting us directly with pertinent information to find and correct these errors.
In speaking more directly to some of the constructive criticism in this thread, first I would like to thank you guys for your suggestions and issues you have come across. It is only working with players like yourselves that we will get better. Pianospike, I am sorry you did not receive a response. I am not sure how this came about, Dave or myself respond to every membership email we receive directly. I cannot however search further from just your post, as I have no information that would allow me to locate your payment with 100% accuracy. If you would please email me directly at Bryan@theppa.org
and mention your 2+2 username, that would be greatly appreciated. As per your suggestion of PayPal or Amazon Payments, we currently use PayPal already to process 100% of our payments. Below the submit button is a link to pay directly via PayPal if you would rather not use a credit card.
As per a donate page. The PPA first and foremost, if given the choice, would like donors to join the PPA for $15. Not only is this what we encourage as by far our first choice, it makes the person a member of the solicitable class for PokerPAC. However, we will be launching a donate page for people who choose not to join, but still wish to donate, in the very near future.
As always, I would like to once again stress, that with issues that arise with the PPA, if you would like us to respond to them quickly and efficiently, the best way to do that is to contact us directly. Sending an email to email@example.com
will get the job done. Thanks again,
Poker Players Alliance
Why do you not have any way to pay dues in advance? Where it just adds onto your expire date.