Originally Posted by TAFFYMAN
By the tone of this article it seems like the republicans will try to shoot Down any efforts to allow table games in MD
Won't matter. Republicans control very little in Maryland. Here is what will happen from someone who lives in Maryland:
1) They will tell Cordish to pipe down about National Harbor Casino
2) The Republicans will complain about it
3) The Democrats will approve a 6th Casino in MD (at National Harbor in PG county) and table games to all 6 of them (for referendum in November).
4) It will be a horrible percentage for National Harbor Casino
5) Bidders will complain about take for Maryland/payouts
6) Percentages will be lowered
7) Other 5 will complain about lowered percentage
It took them years to finally get Arundel Mills built after all of the objections, fighting etc. We still don't have anything built at Rocky Gap or in Baltimore (These 2 are the biggest disasters of the 5, you literally couldn't get anyone to bid on Rocky Gap after 3 tries LOL). Arundel Mills makes 3 slots barns (Perryville, Ocean Downs are not very big). Almost every state around us has table games, and we can't even get slots barns built at Rocky Gap or in Baltimore.
The worst thing out of all of this that was done was to make any changes only allowed by referendum. So if the special session falls through, nothing can happen again until 2014 (which would push table games/national harbor to 2015-2016). Welcome to Maryland. Enjoy your stay.