Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Poker Legislation & PPA Discussion hosted by Rich Muny Discussions of various poker-related laws and steps players can take to push for better laws.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2014, 08:10 AM   #101
PokerXanadu
Commander X-2
 
PokerXanadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,362
Re: Floridians, its time to be active. Let the legislature know how you feel.

I'm leery of Scott's allegiance to the Republican Party under Adelson's influence. For the most part, Florida gaming legislation is determined by the influence of the Florida gaming interests. However, should online poker authorization be included in a Florida bill, it may be met with a threat of veto by Scott, due to Adelson's anti-gambling jihad, until the online poker provision is expunged. Or worse, any gaming legislation - and the Seminole compact - could end up with a clear ban on internet gambling (including poker) for the same reason.

That's not to say that Crist is absolutely a better choice in these matters, but he did include accommodation for online poker in the 2010 Seminole compact (not Scott, it was Crist - white_lytning misspoke^^). And, as a Democratic Party member (at least at the moment - he was a Republican at the time the 2010 compact was negotiated), Crist won't be beholden to Adelson.

There is no clear-cut choice that would advocate for online poker from the Florida Governor's office. But my sense is that Scott would do more to block online poker authorization from arriving at his desk as part of a Florida gambling overhaul bill than Crist would. FWIW.
PokerXanadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:57 PM   #102
schlucky1
veteran
 
schlucky1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Daily Action Plan
Posts: 2,850
Re: Floridians, its time to be active. Let the legislature know how you feel.

I sent Crist a message on FB. I don't really expect a response, but we may be more likely to get one if several people engage him on the issue: https://www.facebook.com/charliecrist

I will email him too: charlie@charliecrist.com
schlucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:53 PM   #103
white_lytning
grinder
 
white_lytning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Miami
Posts: 532
Re: Floridians, its time to be active. Let the legislature know how you feel.

Saw this article today. It has some info about the Gov race that you might want to read.

http://www.southflorida.com/gambling...0,584182.story
white_lytning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:07 PM   #104
dark_horse
veteran
 
dark_horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ride th'snake
Posts: 2,782
Re: Floridians, its time to be active. Let the legislature know how you feel.

I only moved to FL a few years ago so I don't remember Crist as a Republican governor. Was he more center leaning? I've always guessed that Democrats as a whole support online poker more than Republicans, even though here it isn't as clear because he's obviously running as a Dem just so he can run against Scott.

Poker support feels more like a Libertarian thing anyway, and Libertarian views are mixed pretty well among Dems and GOPs alike.
dark_horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:22 PM   #105
PokerXanadu
Commander X-2
 
PokerXanadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,362
Re: Floridians, its time to be active. Let the legislature know how you feel.

Despite being the party of "less government intrusion", a ban on online gambling (including poker) has been part of the national Republican platform for many years. From the 2012 platform:
Quote:
Millions of Americans suffer from problem or pathological gambling that can destroy families. We support the prohibition of gambling over the Internet
and call for reversal of the Justice Department’s decision distorting the formerly accepted meaning of the Wire Act that could open the door to Internet betting.
With Adelson doling out millions to Republicans to forward online gambling prohibition on both the federal and state level, I think it is a bad bet to choose any Republican leader over a Democrat of other party member for a position of control over Internet poker legislation.

I wouldn't count on Libertarian support either. They would oppose legislation to license and regulate Internet poker on their free-market philosophy, in opposition to any but minimal government regulation of any market. While a free, unregulated market might fling the doors open to ipoker in the U.S., the current political reality is that bringing ipoker to the U.S. requires votes for poker licensing legislation. Libertarians would vote against it, just as they would vote against a prohibition bill.

While Crist is no gem, and could easily flip-flop again with changing winds, at least he is currently not aligned with the Republican party philosophy, nor beholden to Adelson, and would unlikely veto a bill that includes ipoker licensing in Florida. It's not a deal-breaker under Crist, but also not a campaign issue. He'll pretty much ride the wave of vested interest money and political clout, which in Florida means no gambling expansion, except for whatever money can buy and can be disguised under the umbrella of preserving regulated access.
PokerXanadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:45 PM   #106
white_lytning
grinder
 
white_lytning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Miami
Posts: 532
Re: Floridians, its time to be active. Let the legislature know how you feel.

I have no faith in either Gov candidate.

I'm still holding on to hope that something positive will come from a compact re-negotiation. I know its a long shot with the Indians, but I don't think ipoker has any chance of being included in the bill that we are all expecting to transform Florida gaming. I think the best shot at online poker comes from the Seminoles and we will hopefully hear something solid regarding the compact after the election but before session starts. January or February is my guess.
white_lytning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:14 AM   #107
PokerXanadu
Commander X-2
 
PokerXanadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,362
Re: Floridians, its time to be active. Let the legislature know how you feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_lytning View Post
I have no faith in either Gov candidate.

I'm still holding on to hope that something positive will come from a compact re-negotiation. I know its a long shot with the Indians, but I don't think ipoker has any chance of being included in the bill that we are all expecting to transform Florida gaming. I think the best shot at online poker comes from the Seminoles and we will hopefully hear something solid regarding the compact after the election but before session starts. January or February is my guess.
Agreed. And the recent agreement between PokerStars and the Seminole Tribe (to allow players to buy-in to the Seminole Hollywood $10M Guarantee Main Event online with their PokerStars account) is an indication that the tribe is thinking about it. Makes me fantasize about the possibility that the tribe will get an exclusive for online poker in FL in the next compact, using PokerStars as their service provider.
PokerXanadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:29 PM   #108
schlucky1
veteran
 
schlucky1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Daily Action Plan
Posts: 2,850
Re: Floridians, its time to be active. Let the legislature know how you feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerXanadu View Post
Agreed. And the recent agreement between PokerStars and the Seminole Tribe (to allow players to buy-in to the Seminole Hollywood $10M Guarantee Main Event online with their PokerStars account) is an indication that the tribe is thinking about it. Makes me fantasize about the possibility that the tribe will get an exclusive for online poker in FL in the next compact, using PokerStars as their service provider.
OMG, that would be amazing!

Any suggestions for who to contact in the Seminole Tribe to ask for this?
schlucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:18 AM   #109
dark_horse
veteran
 
dark_horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ride th'snake
Posts: 2,782
Re: Floridians, its time to be active. Let the legislature know how you feel.

I'd finally buy a condo in FL if that happens. Hell, the entire american playing community would converge onto florida almost immediately. It would change the landscape of online poker in the US overnight. So I don't see it happening without a huge fight.
dark_horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:41 AM   #110
PokerXanadu
Commander X-2
 
PokerXanadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,362
Re: Floridians, its time to be active. Let the legislature know how you feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlucky1 View Post
OMG, that would be amazing!

Any suggestions for who to contact in the Seminole Tribe to ask for this?
No, I don't know anyone specifically.
PokerXanadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:58 AM   #111
PokerXanadu
Commander X-2
 
PokerXanadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,362
Re: Floridians, its time to be active. Let the legislature know how you feel.

Documents show Fla. Gov. Scott willing to give added gambling concessions to Seminole tribe
Quote:
Florida Gov. Rick Scott's staff nearly reached a multi-billion dollar deal with the Seminole Indian tribe that would have allowed it to add roulette and craps at its South Florida casinos, documents obtained by The Associated Press show.

The deal, which was scuttled last spring amid resistance from state legislators, also would have opened the door for the Seminoles to build a casino in the Fort Pierce area and would likely have blocked construction of any Las Vegas-style casinos in Miami for the next seven years
PokerXanadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:25 PM   #112
dark_horse
veteran
 
dark_horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ride th'snake
Posts: 2,782
Re: Floridians, its time to be active. Let the legislature know how you feel.

Confusing article. I guess no poker in Miami in the foreseeable future.
dark_horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:39 AM   #113
GJS70
Fighting the Good Fight
 
GJS70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Daily Action Plan
Posts: 5,409
Re: Floridians, its time to be active. Let the legislature know how you feel.

"New Senate head puts tribal gaming into question" headline from The Tampa Tribune yesterday.

http://tbo.com/news/politics/new-sta...tion-20141115/


"Failure to renew the compact means no more card games for the Seminoles — and no more guaranteed money to state coffers.

“In the event that the authorization to offer card games is terminated, the Tribe shall have ninety (90) days to close such games,” says the 54-page compact signed by then-Gov. Charlie Crist and tribal Chairman Mitchell Cyprus in April 2010."
GJS70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:41 AM   #114
MickeyB105
adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 842
Re: Floridians, its time to be active. Let the legislature know how you feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJS70 View Post
"New Senate head puts tribal gaming into question" headline from The Tampa Tribune yesterday.

http://tbo.com/news/politics/new-sta...tion-20141115/


"Failure to renew the compact means no more card games for the Seminoles — and no more guaranteed money to state coffers.

“In the event that the authorization to offer card games is terminated, the Tribe shall have ninety (90) days to close such games,” says the 54-page compact signed by then-Gov. Charlie Crist and tribal Chairman Mitchell Cyprus in April 2010."
Maybe this will make way for the Caesars, MGM, etc . . . ?
MickeyB105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:55 AM   #115
GJS70
Fighting the Good Fight
 
GJS70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Daily Action Plan
Posts: 5,409
Re: Floridians, its time to be active. Let the legislature know how you feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyB105 View Post
Maybe this will make way for the Caesars, MGM, etc . . . ?
Sounds like what they may be wanting to do. Interesting that their argument is, let's step back and take a look at this issue.

"Andy Gardiner, the Orlando Republican set to take over this week as Senate president, says the state government shouldn't necessarily rush into another deal with the tribe over the money it makes on gambling.

Gov. Rick Scott will lead the negotiations, Gardiner said in a prepared statement, “but I think we need to take a step back and not assume that this has to be done.”

This is almost the exact wording Adelson's group first used when seeking to ban online gaming, i.e. we're not asking for a ban, we want to step back and take the time to examine this issue.

As Adelson wants a casino in FL and donated heavily to Gov. Scott, I'm sure he supports shutting the tribes down to open the doors for his casino. This reeks of Adelson to me.
GJS70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:42 AM   #116
PokerXanadu
Commander X-2
 
PokerXanadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,362
Re: Floridians, its time to be active. Let the legislature know how you feel.

Not necessarily. Gardiner is from Orlando, home of Mickey & Friends. He is part of that anti-gambling juggernaut.

As for Gov. Scott, the apparent messages seem to be mixed. He did get a lot of money from Adelson, which seems to foretell a bent towards authorizing So. Florida destination casinos. OTOH, Scott did try to push through a new Seminole compact this last spring, which would have tabled destination casinos for the next seven years. And he got some campaign contributions this year from the Seminoles as well.

Given the opposition to destination casinos from the Seminoles, Disney, the pari-mutuels and the anti-gambling expansion conservatives, I don't think they will get authorized in Florida anytime soon, despite the casino-sourced campaign contributions and the lure of increased state revenues. On the other hand, I can't see the legislature not accepting a renewed Seminole compact.

My predictions for the 2015 session:

A new Seminole compact, with increased revenues for the state and authorization of craps & roulette at some of the tribal casinos.
Some form of partial de-coupling of poker operations from racing, at licensed pari-mutuel facilities.
No slots expansion.
No destination casinos.
No new gambling commission/division.
No online poker, although the new compact might have a clause that authorizes it for the Seminoles should it become authorized to anyone else sometime during the duration of the compact.
Closing loopholes in pari-mutuel laws to prevent any further expansion.
Clarification of the anti-Internet-cafe-gambling statute.

One thing to keep in mind: a new Seminole compact does not close the door on destination casinos for the term of the compact. The state legislature in theory could change gears anytime, authorizing destination casinos. That would simply negate the terms of the Seminole compact, allowing the tribe to run all Class III gaming without revenue sharing with the state. The Florida gambling study did determine that under this scenario, the state would earn more revenues overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJS70
Interesting that their argument is, let's step back and take a look at this issue.

"Andy Gardiner, the Orlando Republican set to take over this week as Senate president, says the state government shouldn't necessarily rush into another deal with the tribe over the money it makes on gambling.

Gov. Rick Scott will lead the negotiations, Gardiner said in a prepared statement, “but I think we need to take a step back and not assume that this has to be done.”

This is almost the exact wording Adelson's group first used when seeking to ban online gaming, i.e. we're not asking for a ban, we want to step back and take the time to examine this issue.

This reeks of a prelude to seeking a ban on authorizing casino expansion to me.
FYP

Last edited by PokerXanadu; 11-16-2014 at 11:51 AM.
PokerXanadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:09 PM   #117
GJS70
Fighting the Good Fight
 
GJS70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Daily Action Plan
Posts: 5,409
Re: Floridians, its time to be active. Let the legislature know how you feel.

Thank you for the response, PX. I always love hearing your opinion and your clarification on these issues. The article was reading to me that Adelson was shooting to shut down card operations for the Seminole tribe in exchange for getting approval for outside entities to come in and build. I thought Adelson's involvement in FL with the medical marijuana and Gov. Scott's re-election was only with an end-game of getting his casino built.
GJS70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:31 PM   #118
PokerXanadu
Commander X-2
 
PokerXanadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,362
Re: Floridians, its time to be active. Let the legislature know how you feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJS70 View Post
Thank you for the response, PX. I always love hearing your opinion and your clarification on these issues. The article was reading to me that Adelson was shooting to shut down card operations for the Seminole tribe in exchange for getting approval for outside entities to come in and build. I thought Adelson's involvement in FL with the medical marijuana and Gov. Scott's re-election was only with an end-game of getting his casino built.
That's absolutely correct in regards to Adelson. I just think it won't happen regardless.
PokerXanadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:31 AM   #119
white_lytning
grinder
 
white_lytning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Miami
Posts: 532
Re: Floridians, its time to be active. Let the legislature know how you feel.

Quote:
My predictions for the 2015 session:

A new Seminole compact, with increased revenues for the state and authorization of craps & roulette at some of the tribal casinos.
Some form of partial de-coupling of poker operations from racing, at licensed pari-mutuel facilities.
No slots expansion.
No destination casinos.
No new gambling commission/division.
No online poker, although the new compact might have a clause that authorizes it for the Seminoles should it become authorized to anyone else sometime during the duration of the compact.
Closing loopholes in pari-mutuel laws to prevent any further expansion.
Clarification of the anti-Internet-cafe-gambling statute.
I agree with you on everything except for the commission. I think that will happen. Both the House and Senate bills included a commission last year. There was an attempt at a commission a few years before that. The legislature is sick of dealing with this every year and I think they would rather go back to some form of commission than have to deal with these same issues every year.

I also think you will see something done about player-banked games like 3-card poker in the cardrooms. Right now it seems like a grey area. I don't know if they will be prohibited or the opposite.

That article that was in the Tamp Bay Tribune quoted above shouldn't be taken too seriously either. There is going to be a new compact finalized soon. They were very close before the election and probably decided to hold off on finalizing anything until after. There is going to be some type of gaming reform as soon as they have direction from the compact negotiations. That was the hold up last year.

PX -- I'd like to update the OP when it gets closer to session, should I just PM you?
white_lytning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:28 AM   #120
PokerXanadu
Commander X-2
 
PokerXanadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,362
Re: Floridians, its time to be active. Let the legislature know how you feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_lytning View Post
PX -- I'd like to update the OP when it gets closer to session, should I just PM you?
Yes.

Quote:
I agree with you on everything except for the commission. I think that will happen. Both the House and Senate bills included a commission last year. There was an attempt at a commission a few years before that. The legislature is sick of dealing with this every year and I think they would rather go back to some form of commission than have to deal with these same issues every year.
I took the elimination of the legislature's gambling committee by the new Senate President, pushing gambling issues back to the Regulated Industries Committee, as a hint that gambling regulation would stay under the Department of Business and Professional Regulation. And without a bill to establish destination casinos, I thought there would be less call for a gambling commission. Just guessing, though.

Last edited by PokerXanadu; 11-19-2014 at 09:36 AM.
PokerXanadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 06:43 PM   #121
PokerXanadu
Commander X-2
 
PokerXanadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,362
Re: Floridians, its time to be active. Let the legislature know how you feel.

Editorial: Lawmakers should respect the Seminole gaming pact

Quote:
The state’s gambling deal with the Seminole Tribe has generated over $1 billion in revenues over the past five years and helped to prevent the spread of big-money games and high-end, Las Vegas-style resorts in Florida.

While we’re no fan of gambling, the Seminole Compact, which allows for slot machines, blackjack and certain other card games at five of the tribe’s seven Florida casinos, offers the state its best option if it wants to keep gambling in check.
PokerXanadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 03:48 PM   #122
PokerXanadu
Commander X-2
 
PokerXanadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,362
Re: Floridians, its time to be active. Let the legislature know how you feel.

State Senator Margolis has introduced a bill (again - same as last session) to authorize the Florida lottery to sell Florida lottery tickets on the Internet. Nothing to do with online poker or other online gambling, but shows that the Internet is on the Florida lawmakers radar for gambling issues.
PokerXanadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:02 AM   #123
PokerXanadu
Commander X-2
 
PokerXanadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,362
Re: Floridians, its time to be active. Let the legislature know how you feel.

Supreme Court sides with dog tracks on satellite card rooms

Quote:
Overturning an appeals-court decision, the Florida Supreme Court on Wednesday ruled that at least two greyhound tracks, including one in Palm Beach County, can operate satellite card rooms without live racing.

Siding with the Palm Beach Kennel Club, the 5-1 opinion upheld the constitutionality of a law allowing jai alai permit holders to convert dormant, or unused, permits into greyhound permits if they meet certain conditions.

The law also allows greyhound permit holders to open card rooms at satellite facilities without live racing, again if certain conditions are met.

That combination would allow the Palm Beach dog track and the Daytona Beach Kennel Club to open satellite card rooms.
PokerXanadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:15 PM   #124
dark_horse
veteran
 
dark_horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ride th'snake
Posts: 2,782
Re: Floridians, its time to be active. Let the legislature know how you feel.

Firstly, I apologize for derailing this thread a little. I'm not familiar with other Florida specific threads in the legal forum.

I'm simply looking for a Florida tax attorney familiar with gaming who can help me explore the possibilities of establishing an LLC with S-Corporation status for the purposes of paying myself to play poker, and save on Self Employment tax. There has been lots of talk about it in various threads on 2+2 (with little movement on the subject over the past few years), but I wanted to speak directly with an attorney based in Florida before doing any more research. I understand the process, but there's a pretty big question mark as to whether or not this sort of behavior is legal.

Any names, references, please pm me. Thanks!

Last edited by dark_horse; 12-02-2014 at 08:21 PM.
dark_horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:33 PM   #125
white_lytning
grinder
 
white_lytning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Miami
Posts: 532
Re: Floridians, its time to be active. Let the legislature know how you feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerXanadu View Post
State Senator Margolis has introduced a bill (again - same as last session) to authorize the Florida lottery to sell Florida lottery tickets on the Internet. Nothing to do with online poker or other online gambling, but shows that the Internet is on the Florida lawmakers radar for gambling issues.
She has introduced two other bills so far too, one of which would legalize advanced deposit wagering and one that would place restrictions on electoral donations and funding to and from people in the gambling industry. The ADW bill is kind of funny to read because its clear she has no idea what ADW is.

She is a wackjob that should have left office years ago IMO.

The Supreme Court decision is an interesting read. Not sure I really agree with them regarding their interpretation of the language but it looks like it will have some possible lasting effects on the industry.
white_lytning is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online