Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Poker Legislation & PPA Discussion hosted by Rich Muny Discussions of various poker-related laws and steps players can take to push for better laws.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 09:31 AM   #176
PokerXanadu
Commander X-2
 
PokerXanadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,361
Re: California Senate leader co-sponsors Internet gambling bill

Legalized online gambling sought in Calif. bill [San Francisco Chronicle]


"...Ultimately, just a few websites are expected to go live. That's because of a proposed $30 million license fee - which would be credited against the 10 percent cut of gross revenue - and the expectation that consumers will flock to only about a half-dozen well-marketed sites.

The result is alliance building. Dozens of tribal casinos and cardrooms, including Pete's 881 Club, joined the California Online Poker Association, which recently started a free online poker site called Calshark.com as a way to work out the kinks and start building a brand.

Josh Rubinstein, senior vice president of development for the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club in San Diego County, said the state's tracks and horse owners may team up on one website..."

"...Another major sticking point in the proposed legislation, especially for tribal casinos, is a provision that would allow the state to phase in other games besides poker after two years.

"For the tribes I represent, this is a nonstarter," said David Quintana, a lobbyist for the California Tribal Business Alliance. "You have a high likelihood it will have an impact on our brick-and-mortar facilities."..."
PokerXanadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:57 AM   #177
sba9630
Pooh-Bah
 
sba9630's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: This space intentionally left blank
Posts: 4,511
Re: California Senate leader co-sponsors Internet gambling bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerXanadu View Post
...

"For the tribes I represent, this is a nonstarter," said David Quintana, a lobbyist for the California Tribal Business Alliance. "You have a high likelihood it will have an impact on our brick-and-mortar facilities."..."
The AGA/Frank Fahrenkopf Jr. disagrees:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMFCeGpb0og&t=7m17s
sba9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:56 AM   #178
pianospike
adept
 
pianospike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: california
Posts: 1,081
Re: California Senate leader co-sponsors Internet gambling bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerXanadu View Post
Legalized online gambling sought in Calif. bill [San Francisco Chronicle]


"...Ultimately, just a few websites are expected to go live. That's because of a proposed $30 million license fee - which would be credited against the 10 percent cut of gross revenue - and the expectation that consumers will flock to only about a half-dozen well-marketed sites.

The result is alliance building. Dozens of tribal casinos and cardrooms, including Pete's 881 Club, joined the California Online Poker Association, which recently started a free online poker site called Calshark.com as a way to work out the kinks and start building a brand.

Josh Rubinstein, senior vice president of development for the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club in San Diego County, said the state's tracks and horse owners may team up on one website..."

"...Another major sticking point in the proposed legislation, especially for tribal casinos, is a provision that would allow the state to phase in other games besides poker after two years.

"For the tribes I represent, this is a nonstarter," said David Quintana, a lobbyist for the California Tribal Business Alliance. "You have a high likelihood it will have an impact on our brick-and-mortar facilities."..."
I hope a California company like Zynga or Yahoo is able to find a pathway to effectively become a player in this market. $30 million would be nothing to them.
pianospike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:53 PM   #179
Jonaspublius
veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The America becoming
Posts: 2,182
Re: California Senate leader co-sponsors Internet gambling bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianospike View Post
I hope a California company like Zynga or Yahoo is able to find a pathway to effectively become a player in this market. $30 million would be nothing to them.
Think how little 300k from any of them to jump start a California PPA would be?
Jonaspublius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #180
RU18LOL
fade city
 
RU18LOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,517
Re: California Senate leader co-sponsors Internet gambling bill

does anyone know how long it takes to get the bill on the agenda for the Senate Governmental Organization Committee. The next meeting is the 24th, but we are not there
RU18LOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:38 AM   #181
NDwon
stranger
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: California
Posts: 14
Re: California Senate leader co-sponsors Internet gambling bill

any new news?
NDwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:46 AM   #182
mapleleaf
adept
 
mapleleaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: dollar dollar bills y'all
Posts: 721
Re: California Senate leader co-sponsors Internet gambling bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDwon View Post
any new news?
Yes ... we've been waiting for you to ask
mapleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:10 AM   #183
NDwon
stranger
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: California
Posts: 14
Re: California Senate leader co-sponsors Internet gambling bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf View Post
Yes ... we've been waiting for you to ask
please try and keep the discussion on the California legalization of online poker rather than trying to pick a fight with me
NDwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:41 PM   #184
yoshi_yoshi
journeyman
 
yoshi_yoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 265
Re: California Senate leader co-sponsors Internet gambling bill

I refresh this every day to see if the bill ever makes the agenda:
http://sgov.senate.ca.gov/agenda

The May 8th agenda just went up starting at 2 bills. Notice how the Apr 24th one has 15 bills now. There is your sweat!
yoshi_yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #185
ScreaminAsian
For President
 
ScreaminAsian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: grabbing life by the pussy
Posts: 21,210
Re: California Senate leader co-sponsors Internet gambling bill

maybe someone should take a minute and a half with hold time to phone the office of someone in the committee or someone associated with the bill. maybe someone there could answer this question, and you'll know FOR SURE within, like, 5 mins tops.

i'm real far away and i don't know if 'long distance' means anything anymore, but, i still wouldn't wanna do it.
ScreaminAsian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:46 PM   #186
RU18LOL
fade city
 
RU18LOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,517
Re: California Senate leader co-sponsors Internet gambling bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi_yoshi View Post
I refresh this every day to see if the bill ever makes the agenda:
http://sgov.senate.ca.gov/agenda

The May 8th agenda just went up starting at 2 bills. Notice how the Apr 24th one has 15 bills now. There is your sweat!
Do you recall how many the Apr 24th agenda went up with?
RU18LOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:44 PM   #187
yoshi_yoshi
journeyman
 
yoshi_yoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 265
Re: California Senate leader co-sponsors Internet gambling bill

Apr 24th agenda went up with like 3-5.

ScreaminAsian, yea that sounds like a smarter idea, will try it next week.

I did e-mail my state assemblyman earlier, he didn't seem to know much but would 'keep my thoughts in mind'. But committee members should know more.
yoshi_yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:29 AM   #188
Rich Muny
Poker Players Alliance VP
 
Rich Muny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: ***Only a PPA post if so stated***
Posts: 26,393
Re: California Senate leader co-sponsors Internet gambling bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonaspublius View Post
Think how little 300k from any of them to jump start a California PPA would be?
You should call them and pick up one of those checks they apparently -- at least based on your posts -- hand out like cash grants to anyone who supports them. Tell us how easy it was once you cash it.
Rich Muny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:13 PM   #189
NDwon
stranger
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: California
Posts: 14
Re: California Senate leader co-sponsors Internet gambling bill

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/po...&author=wright
seems like the status changed but there's no info when you click on the link.
NDwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:12 AM   #190
bgomez89
adept
 
bgomez89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 968
Re: California Senate leader co-sponsors Internet gambling bill

Quote:
The proposed online gambling bill in California, SB1463, is currently undergoing revisions by its sponsors, Sen. Roderick Wright (D-Inglewood) and State Senate President Pro Tem Darrell Steinberg (D-Sacramento), to appease various cardrooms and powerful Indian tribes. The issues being rewritten include the $30 million licensing fee thats payable in only three years, as well as deciding who will be allowed to apply for the coveted online gambling licenses.

The legislative session in California ends August 31. If SB1463 has not passed through the legislature by that time, the process will start from scratch next year. Amendments to the bill are expected to be completed soon. Though there is considerable in-fighting among the state's gambling interests and past attempts at online gambling regulations have failed, the Golden State's budget deficit in excess of $9 billion is spurring lawmakers to accomplish the task of approving Internet gambling legislation.
http://direct.pokerupdate.com/news/b...indian-tribes/

No idea how legit this source is and the article is almost a week old. If it's true then it looks like we'll be sweating this all summer
bgomez89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:23 AM   #191
sba9630
Pooh-Bah
 
sba9630's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: This space intentionally left blank
Posts: 4,511
Re: California Senate leader co-sponsors Internet gambling bill

California offered piece of the action from Internet poker [latimes.com]

Casino operators lobby hard for legalization by the state. Co-sponsors of a state legalization bill hope it could raise hundreds of millions for the budget-battered state.

By Patrick McGreevy, Los Angeles Times
May 14, 2012, 10:34 p.m.

"This is … a harsh slap in the face to California Indian tribes," said Leslie Lohse, chairwoman of the California Tribal Business Alliance, which consists of three tribes with casinos.

Lohse's group has donated $278,000 to Brown's effort to qualify a tax hike for the November ballot. A tax increase that closes the budget gap could reduce the need for Internet gambling proceeds.
sba9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #192
Micro McD
grinder
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 468
Re: California Senate leader co-sponsors Internet gambling bill

Great interview with PPA's John Pappas and radio talk discussion on California internet poker.

http://www.scpr.org/programs/airtalk...nline-gambling

Last edited by Micro McD; 05-16-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Micro McD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:39 AM   #193
RU18LOL
fade city
 
RU18LOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,517
Re: California Senate leader co-sponsors Internet gambling bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micro McD View Post
Great interview with PPA's John Pappas and radio talk discussion on California internet poker.

http://www.scpr.org/programs/airtalk...nline-gambling
cliffs on the interview? Don't have time atm to listen
RU18LOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:17 AM   #194
RU18LOL
fade city
 
RU18LOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,517
Re: California Senate leader co-sponsors Internet gambling bill

also, while 2p2 was down i kinda forgot to follow the process of the bill, does anyone know if it made it to the last agenda hearing for the committee? Or what exactly is the status now or any specific dates we are looking forward to.
RU18LOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:15 AM   #195
RU18LOL
fade city
 
RU18LOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,517
Re: California Senate leader co-sponsors Internet gambling bill

it tilts me that "A.B. No. 1776 Fong. State government: Pacific leatherback sea turtle" is on the next agenda, but our bill isnt.
RU18LOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:16 PM   #196
Sabotage
journeyman
 
Sabotage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 263
Re: California Senate leader co-sponsors Internet gambling bill

Anytime now! Tired of sitting on the side lines, put me in the game coach.
Sabotage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:14 AM   #197
TheDarkElf
veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 2,667
Re: California Senate leader co-sponsors Internet gambling bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by RU18LOL View Post
it tilts me that "A.B. No. 1776 Fong. State government: Pacific leatherback sea turtle" is on the next agenda, but our bill isnt.
I heard a rumor that if elected as the official state marine reptile, the turtles will support the online poker bill.
TheDarkElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:41 AM   #198
ScreaminAsian
For President
 
ScreaminAsian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: grabbing life by the pussy
Posts: 21,210
Re: California Senate leader co-sponsors Internet gambling bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkElf View Post
I heard a rumor that if elected as the official state marine reptile, the turtles will support the online poker bill.
confirmed
ScreaminAsian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #199
sadyoshi
journeyman
 
sadyoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 272
Re: California Senate leader co-sponsors Internet gambling bill

http://sgov.senate.ca.gov/agenda
June 12th
9:30 a.m. - John L. Burton Hearing Room (4203)
MEASURES TO BE HEARD IN ORDER OF AUTHOR SIGN-IN
S.B. No. 1463 Wright. Internet gambling. (Urgency)

URGENCY!!!

BTW, I hope you chumps are voting in the CA primaries.
If not, at least vote in the general elections.
If you don't know how to register just google your county website.
If you still can't figure it out, PM me.
sadyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #200
Micro McD
grinder
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 468
Re: California Senate leader co-sponsors Internet gambling bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadyoshi View Post
http://sgov.senate.ca.gov/agenda
June 12th
9:30 a.m. - John L. Burton Hearing Room (4203)
MEASURES TO BE HEARD IN ORDER OF AUTHOR SIGN-IN
S.B. No. 1463 Wright. Internet gambling. (Urgency)

URGENCY!!!

BTW, I hope you chumps are voting in the CA primaries.
If not, at least vote in the general elections.
If you don't know how to register just google your county website.
If you still can't figure it out, PM me.
Awesome, one week away from a hearing. Gonna update and boost the SB1463 action plan thread if anyone wants to contact the members of this committee.
Micro McD is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online