Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

About the Forums Here's where you post suggestions about the forums and the software that implements them.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2015, 12:00 AM   #26
kioshk
Nixonian
 
kioshk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: now Watergate does not bother me
Posts: 89,972
Re: Finding out why posters have been Banned?

It's like Unforgiven where the kid says they had it coming. And Clint says, "We all got it coming, kid."
kioshk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:02 AM   #27
kioshk
Nixonian
 
kioshk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: now Watergate does not bother me
Posts: 89,972
Re: Finding out why posters have been Banned?

It's a helluva thing, banning a man. Take away all his posts and all he's ever gonna post.
kioshk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:22 PM   #28
JohnyCrash
veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,255
Re: Finding out why posters have been Banned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo Fett View Post
Entertainment was a good reason?

I also explained why I disagree with your second reason. I don't think it would serve the purpose you think it will.

As for this forum banning a lot of posters, you're not the first person to suggest that, but I think there's a pretty wide gap between perception and reality there.

We have somewhere around 423,000 members. ~48,500 are banned, and the vast majority of those are spammers, scammers, or trolls with multiple accounts.

Usually when posters are high profile enough to be considered "some of the best posters", it's no secret why they were banned.

All that said, what changes would you suggest? I highly doubt there's any simple way to make it so that you could check why any given poster is banned.
Almost 50k banned? Thats way worse then I thought. I suggest making a dedicated page where you can see who was banned and by what mod and for what reason. That doesnt seem overly complicated.
JohnyCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:39 PM   #29
Lattimer
I are smart
 
Lattimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 11,499
Re: Finding out why posters have been Banned?

Such a page already exists, but only mods have access to it.
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:59 AM   #30
Bobo Fett
2+2 Ad Man
 
Bobo Fett's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canada, eh!
Posts: 44,936
Re: Finding out why posters have been Banned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyCrash View Post
Almost 50k banned? Thats way worse then I thought.
How many spammers and scammers were you expecting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyCrash View Post
I suggest making a dedicated page where you can see who was banned and by what mod and for what reason. That doesnt seem overly complicated.
Unfortunately, it is. And like I said, even if it were possible, I think it's highly unlikely to serve the purpose you were suggesting it could.
Bobo Fett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:51 AM   #31
plaaynde
Poker Historian
 
plaaynde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Local Group
Posts: 15,258
Re: Finding out why posters have been Banned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lattimer View Post
Such a page already exists, but only mods have access to it.
Almost makes me want to be a mod.

Would cast light on the enigmas of the human nature.
plaaynde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:33 PM   #32
Bobo Fett
2+2 Ad Man
 
Bobo Fett's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canada, eh!
Posts: 44,936
Re: Finding out why posters have been Banned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaaynde View Post
Almost makes me want to be a mod.

Would cast light on the enigmas of the human nature.
It's a tediously long list that is mostly filled with ban reasons like:

[Previously banned poster]
[Undesirable]
[Posting unwanted spam]
[linked to multiple banned accounts]
[As requested by PM]

I know I've never simply browsed the list for interest's sake, as it isn't even slightly interesting.
Bobo Fett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:26 PM   #33
plaaynde
Poker Historian
 
plaaynde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Local Group
Posts: 15,258
Re: Finding out why posters have been Banned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo Fett View Post
[Undesirable]
This looks a bit exciting to me.
plaaynde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:37 PM   #34
Anais
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Anais's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6,666
Re: Finding out why posters have been Banned?

it's really not

and also "please do a lot of work to quench my curiosity" doesn't seem like a valid reason or request
Anais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:07 PM   #35
Bobo Fett
2+2 Ad Man
 
Bobo Fett's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canada, eh!
Posts: 44,936
Re: Finding out why posters have been Banned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaaynde View Post
This looks a bit exciting to me.
Standard ban reason for suspected scammers.
Bobo Fett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:18 PM   #36
spaceman Bryce
anything you guys want
 
spaceman Bryce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: kansas
Posts: 15,683
Re: Finding out why posters have been Banned?

Johnny Crash has the absolute best intentions for everyone here but is just wrong. Theres no reason to go scarlet lettering people, especially when in the corporate world the official reason can't give way of the real reason. Not because the corporate world is evil, but because thats not how things work.
In many companies I have worked for there is a long list of things that break the employee code and none of them matter at all if you worked really hard or were favored by the bosses.

but if you were a pain to deal with and or didn't work very hard or were disliked suddenly all those rules mattered a ton. a favored employee could clock in 30 mins late everyday looking stoned and never have to worry. a disfavored employee- scheduled at 8:00, you clocked in at 8:01! you have greatly impeded the operations of business here and I'm afraid its not going to work out for you here. You're fired!


That guy doesn't need to get a tattoo that says does not show up to work at required times
spaceman Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:30 AM   #37
LektorAJ
Pooh-Bah
 
LektorAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: none
Posts: 5,807
Re: Finding out why posters have been Banned?

It would be impractical to have a page listing why all 48000 people were banned. It would be interesting to know why people who had 1000+ posts over several years are banned though.
LektorAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:07 AM   #38
kioshk
Nixonian
 
kioshk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: now Watergate does not bother me
Posts: 89,972
Re: Finding out why posters have been Banned?

I doubt it would be that interesting tbh.
kioshk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:34 AM   #39
Lattimer
I are smart
 
Lattimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 11,499
Re: Finding out why posters have been Banned?

Maybe, but even we can't sort the list. It's listed alphabetically and shows 100/page. So if I'm looking for someone who starts with L I have to randomly click on pages until I find it (like start at 100 and jump around accordingly). It's really annoying. Finding 1000+ posters would be virtually impossible.

Bobo you said ~48k banned users? Why are there only 155 pages at 100/page?
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 03:09 PM   #40
ScreaminAsian
For President
 
ScreaminAsian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: grabbing life by the pussy
Posts: 21,210
Re: Finding out why posters have been Banned?

secret black-ops bannings kept off the books
ScreaminAsian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 05:51 PM   #41
obviously.bogus
Pooh-Bah
 
obviously.bogus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Up a creek ... Infractions: 37 (99)
Posts: 4,904
Re: Finding out why posters have been Banned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lattimer View Post
Bobo you said ~48k banned users? Why are there only 155 pages at 100/page?
Just a guess ... OTBC'd spammers don't show up on the list ???
obviously.bogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:16 PM   #42
Tuma
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Tuma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: This is what I get.
Posts: 8,465
Re: Finding out why posters have been Banned?

48,000 banned accounts. haha, holy ****.
Tuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:24 PM   #43
Bobo Fett
2+2 Ad Man
 
Bobo Fett's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canada, eh!
Posts: 44,936
Re: Finding out why posters have been Banned?

No, OTB&Ced members are in that list as well.

Lattimer, you'll probably see that there are no bans from pre-December 2008 on that list. The number I gave was the total that are part of the "Banned Users" usergroup, which likely carries over from previous versions of the forum software, while it appears that list does not.

That said, 15.5 K bans post-12/08 and 33 K pre-12/08 doesn't seem right, so I don't know if there are others who don't make it into that list for some reason. Unless maybe we have more effective ways to stop spammers from making accounts in the first place now, and had to ban a lot more of them previously.
Bobo Fett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:10 PM   #44
ZeckoRiver
Pooh-Bah
 
ZeckoRiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Check raising stupid tourists
Posts: 5,394
Re: Finding out why posters have been Banned?

should have an archive list with pic of mod that banned specific poker, mod of most banned per year
gets one week carnival trip
ZeckoRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 12:42 AM   #45
kioshk
Nixonian
 
kioshk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: now Watergate does not bother me
Posts: 89,972
Re: Finding out why posters have been Banned?

We need to find out why Mets got banned.
kioshk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 02:14 PM   #46
plaaynde
Poker Historian
 
plaaynde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Local Group
Posts: 15,258
Re: Finding out why posters have been Banned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kioshk View Post
We need to find out why Mets got banned.
mets is that high profile we would all win from going through it. Could he partly voluntarily have got out in flames, getting married and all? I'm sincerely glad he has found love again.
plaaynde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 03:19 PM   #47
Banned4lyfe
Sup-Bah? Pop-Bah Pooh-Bear Permanently Pooh-Bah Billy Walters Jr
 
Banned4lyfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SoCal ✈
Posts: 12,787
Re: Finding out why posters have been Banned?

Banned4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 03:29 PM   #48
plaaynde
Poker Historian
 
plaaynde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Local Group
Posts: 15,258
Re: Finding out why posters have been Banned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned4lyfe View Post
Try again. This is not perma-bannable.
plaaynde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 03:47 PM   #49
Banned4lyfe
Sup-Bah? Pop-Bah Pooh-Bear Permanently Pooh-Bah Billy Walters Jr
 
Banned4lyfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SoCal ✈
Posts: 12,787
Re: Finding out why posters have been Banned?

there was more leading up to it in the months prior. That was the straw that broke rapini's back.
Banned4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 06:18 PM   #50
Bobo Fett
2+2 Ad Man
 
Bobo Fett's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canada, eh!
Posts: 44,936
Re: Finding out why posters have been Banned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaaynde View Post
Try again. This is not perma-bannable.
And there's exhibit A of why OP's idea wouldn't get him what he thinks it will.
Bobo Fett is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ę 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online