Originally Posted by Beefeater
My laptop recently died (won't turn on at all, and flashes console lights) and the repair shop I took it to said the motherboard was completely fried: they couldn't just replace individual circuitry components on it, but said it would need a completely new mobo, which would run like $350 and not even worth the cost vs. just buying a new one.
The repair guy said cause was likely overheating. But this laptop is only 2.5 years old. For the last 8 months or so, I'd basically leave it on 24/7...didn't have it set to sleep/hibernate/nothing...just a screensaver running. But it was always on one of those USB cooling fans, which I thought would prevent any overheating problems.
Was leaving this thing on 24/7 just a recipe for disaster? Are USB cooling fans not good insurance against overheating?
In addition to all the stuff that others have said, the thermal paste that couples the CPU and GPU to the piping and fans that keeps it cool enough to operate normally will dry up under heavy use. On more than one occasion I have had friends tell me that their laptops were dying, upon which time I diagnosed them as overheating. The fix there was for me to crack open the case, apply some good thermal paste to all the parts that normally require it, and then close it back up. Presto, everything is fixed! In the most aggressive case I saw, there was massive dust on the inside and stuff had been getting so hot that small amounts of soot started to burn off of parts inside the laptop. In other words, it is possible that stuff could get fried.