Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Science, Math, and Philosophy Discussions regarding science, math, and/or philosophy.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2010, 11:09 AM   #51
IascMor
stranger
 
IascMor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: BaileAthaCliath
Posts: 14
Re: Would the world be better if everyone spoke the same language?

Caithfimid nios mo Gaelige a labhairt i mo thuairim.

Maidir leis ceist an OP, is leir go mbeidh an domhain ait nios fearr. ldo
IascMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:48 PM   #52
WSOP2007
journeyman
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 277
Re: Would the world be better if everyone spoke the same language?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantek View Post
You're being very optimistic about the future of mankind.
I'm even more optimistic and believe that global language differences are very easy to solve in the next 100 years because of technological developments.
WSOP2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:40 PM   #53
Siegmund
Pooh-Bah
 
Siegmund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,098
Re: Would the world be better if everyone spoke the same language?

Quote:
Does anyone doubt that a change to a global language is inevitable?
Not only do I doubt it, I am confident that it's virtually certain not to happen.

The basic problem is that not everyone wants to talk about the same things. I believe there is such a thing as a "best" language given a particular field of discourse, but it's abundantly clear that different groups of people have different priorities for what's deserving of a short and easy word. A universal language would facilitate certain kinds of communication, and greatly frustrate others.

The same is just as true of computer programming languages. There's a reason to have platform-independent languages, so that we can run software on any computer we face ... but there is also a reason for more than one language (even more than one platform-independent language!) for different purposes: ease of writing vs ease of use vs raw speed vs whatever else.




Quote:
A phonetic alphabet is the nuts.
If you mean being able to tell how a word is pronounced by looking at it, I generally agree. If you're proposing re-spelling words to match how they sound... sorry but we don't all pronounce words the same way (or even agree on how many sounds there are in our languages.)


Quote:
Should be interesting if anyone can provide data of how many people were speaking 2+ languages 100 years ago and how many now.
I don't have any data handy. I expect the number has fallen dramatically. (And I would expect the number to continue falling as long as languages become more global.) The number who speak 3 or more has probably fallen even more dramatically.
Siegmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:16 PM   #54
FortunaMaximus
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
FortunaMaximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Wherever I'm supposed to be.
Posts: 7,666
Re: Would the world be better if everyone spoke the same language?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSOP2007 View Post
I'm even more optimistic and believe that global language differences are very easy to solve in the next 100 years because of technological developments.
They don't need to be. There are already a handful of major languages used in global commerce, and the overlap of languages and strategies of multinationals makes such a pursuit economically irrelevant.

Siegmund is right basically.

Languages evolve through use and are influenced by other languages.

English itself can be distinguished into multiple instances. The English in New York is different than the English in London, and even moreso in Hong Kong.

That doesn't take into account regional differences and vocabularies.

In a simplistic sense, you might as well be trying to homogenize hair color across the globe. It's just not gonna happen.
FortunaMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:42 AM   #55
Benholio
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Benholio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 8,155
Re: Would the world be better if everyone spoke the same language?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegmund View Post
Not only do I doubt it, I am confident that it's virtually certain not to happen.

The basic problem is that not everyone wants to talk about the same things. I believe there is such a thing as a "best" language given a particular field of discourse, but it's abundantly clear that different groups of people have different priorities for what's deserving of a short and easy word. A universal language would facilitate certain kinds of communication, and greatly frustrate others.
If this is the case, why do communities end up speaking the same language? Why does (almost) everyone in a given city or state or area end up speaking the same language, dialects aside?

What is an example of a kind of communication that would be greatly frustrated by having all parties share a language?
Benholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:03 PM   #56
Max H
veteran
 
Max H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Lower Slower Delaware
Posts: 3,131
Re: Would the world be better if everyone spoke the same language?

It would be better if language were eliminated completely and we lived in silence with no written word.
Max H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:41 AM   #57
tame_deuces
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
tame_deuces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 12,739
Re: Would the world be better if everyone spoke the same language?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IascMor View Post
Caithfimid nios mo Gaelige a labhairt i mo thuairim.
Je ne suis pas d'accord!
tame_deuces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:46 PM   #58
WSOP2007
journeyman
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 277
Re: Would the world be better if everyone spoke the same language?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortunaMaximus View Post
They don't need to be. There are already a handful of major languages used in global commerce, and the overlap of languages and strategies of multinationals makes such a pursuit economically irrelevant.

Siegmund is right basically.

Languages evolve through use and are influenced by other languages.

English itself can be distinguished into multiple instances. The English in New York is different than the English in London, and even moreso in Hong Kong.

That doesn't take into account regional differences and vocabularies.

In a simplistic sense, you might as well be trying to homogenize hair color across the globe. It's just not gonna happen.
I understand your position and I agree that it is not economically feasible to spend lots of research money at this moment to be able to construct a device that translates language. What I meant is that because of so many technological advancements coming our way, this sort of problem is really a simple feat to achieve in the next century. I mean speaking to someone in another language directly in real time is not possible now, but it will be.
WSOP2007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.33 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ę 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online