Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Sporting Events Discussion centered around sporting events.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2011, 10:27 PM   #151
ikestoys
banned
 
ikestoys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: and don't vote trump/sanders
Posts: 94,444
Re: So Bad It's Not LOL: Penn State Covers Up For a Pedophile

Yeah that makes more sense. Mandatory reporting applies to a certain set of professionals (teachers, docs, psychologists, etc) in most states afaik
ikestoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:27 PM   #152
Oski
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Oski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Anti-Vermin Seed
Posts: 12,996
Re: So Bad It's Not LOL: Penn State Covers Up For a Pedophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
Yeah that was my initial take on it, though it's hard to argue with the shouts in this thread that he should simply have picked up the phone and called the police himself.

Either way, if he just washed his hands of it once he reported it to the AD and never followed up it is pretty indefensible.
Maybe, maybe not. We don't know the extent of what was known by him regarding the investigation. Put yourself in his shoes; his job is to coach football, not to become an investigator. I suppose JoPa has a lot of "stuff" reported to him and he has to follow protocol. I am sure a large number of reports are investigated and nothing comes of it (well, it would be a fair point given the story to say, "I wonder why").

Here, JoPa was at least aware that it was being investigated. We don't know what he knew after that.
Oski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:29 PM   #153
Franchise 60
deliciously angry
 
Franchise 60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ferocious, isn't he?
Posts: 42,744
Re: So Bad It's Not LOL: Penn State Covers Up For a Pedophile

It is indefensible.
Franchise 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:29 PM   #154
agdci981
banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,078
Re: So Bad It's Not LOL: Penn State Covers Up For a Pedophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
Also, reading the Grand Jury report is seems that:

The graduate assistant
Father of the graduate assistant
Paterno
Tim Curley A.D.
Dr. Jack Raykovitz of The Second Mile
Gary Schultz
Graham Spanier University President

All were told about the matter and did not act. Another relevant excerpt from the Grand Jury Report:



Leaving aside how damning this is overall, the bolded does seem to indicate that Paterno was not legally obliged to make a report to the police himself, that responsibility fell upon his superiors.
Ahh, alright. Thank you for that. I way I read it in the articles was that any superior had the obligation to report it and since JoePa would be considered a superior to a grad assistant he would have the obligation as well. Guess he didn't lawfully have an obligation then but he still should have reported it from a moral perspective...
agdci981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:31 PM   #155
iron81
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
iron81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Resident Spork
Posts: 16,123
Re: So Bad It's Not LOL: Penn State Covers Up For a Pedophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loretta8 View Post
in 2003, Baylor basketball nearly got the death penalty, one player murdered another and the coach tried to cover it up and paint the victim as a drug dealer to hide the fact he was giving the kid cash. probably the worst scandal in ncaa basketball history.

in 2010 they were in the Elite 8 and they're now getting top recruits and #12 in the preseason poll. and that's Baylor, not a place with a lot of tradition of athletic success.
So, what happened to Baylor?
iron81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:31 PM   #156
ThaSaltCracka
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ThaSaltCracka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Seatown
Posts: 66,879
Re: So Bad It's Not LOL: Penn State Covers Up For a Pedophile

http://twitter.com/#!/sportsbybrooks

Read through about the past 25 tweets.
ThaSaltCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:34 PM   #157
Loretta8
knows her Big Ten
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 21,899
Re: So Bad It's Not LOL: Penn State Covers Up For a Pedophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron81 View Post
So, what happened to Baylor?
they were on probation for a while, lost scholarships, postseason ban,and one year they weren't allowed to play non conference games, conference schedule only
Loretta8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:35 PM   #158
ZBTHorton
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 19,864
Some of you guys just ****ing baffle me.

He started this charity in the 70's. All of these ppl involved had to know about it at some point. People found out a guy who runs a charity based in small children rapes small children.

I don't give a **** what their legal position was. Or whether they are a coach or AD, or police, or a ****ung garbage man. They are despicable human brings for doing nothing, and in at least one case they not just did nothing they ****ung helped him.
ZBTHorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:36 PM   #159
agdci981
banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,078
Re: So Bad It's Not LOL: Penn State Covers Up For a Pedophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loretta8 View Post
they were on probation for a while, lost scholarships, postseason ban,and one year they weren't allowed to play non conference games, conference schedule only
Yeah, but I don't think that came about directly because of the murder. The murder only put a light on Baylor so the NCAA was able to discover payments in the form of tuition to players and other infractions.
agdci981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:36 PM   #160
Tumaterminator
HOCKEY!
 
Tumaterminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Zoo Keeper
Posts: 26,379
Re: So Bad It's Not LOL: Penn State Covers Up For a Pedophile

did penetration occur?
Tumaterminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:37 PM   #161
ZBTHorton
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 19,864
He wasn't cooking the books, or cheating on his wife, or any other petty bull****. He was raping children!!!!!!!!!
ZBTHorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:39 PM   #162
Loretta8
knows her Big Ten
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 21,899
Re: So Bad It's Not LOL: Penn State Covers Up For a Pedophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by agdci981 View Post
Yeah, but I don't think that came about directly because of the murder. The murder only put a light on Baylor so the NCAA was able to discover payments in the form of tuition to players and other infractions.
yeah, i know all the details there

was just making the point that if Penn State fires everyone and hires a good coach they can easily recover from this
Loretta8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:43 PM   #163
Oski
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Oski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Anti-Vermin Seed
Posts: 12,996
Re: So Bad It's Not LOL: Penn State Covers Up For a Pedophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by agdci981 View Post
I haven't read the actual law being cited by some articles here but what I get from it is that anyone with an eyewitness account of a sexual assault must report it to authorities and authorities is not defined the athletic director of sports at a university or the head football coach. This is only based on how it is being described in these articles though so you can go through the PA Code at your leisure if you wish....
Well, fortunately the law is cited in the Grand Jury indictment:

(I have OCR for Acrobat, but I can't seem to copy and paste) 23 Pa.C.S. Section 6311 (Child Protective Services Law) provides that when a staff member reports abuse, the person "in charge of the school or institution has the responsibility and legal obligation to report or cause such a report to be made by telephone and in writing within 48 hours to the Department of Public Welfare .... "

JoPa would not be required to report under that statute; I am sure he was required to report to his superior under school policy.
Oski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:44 PM   #164
LuckyLloyd
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
LuckyLloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: There's always next year...
Posts: 10,794
Re: So Bad It's Not LOL: Penn State Covers Up For a Pedophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBTHorton View Post
Some of you guys just ****ing baffle me.

He started this charity in the 70's. All of these ppl involved had to know about it at some point. People found out a guy who runs a charity based in small children rapes small children.

I don't give a **** what their legal position was. Or whether they are a coach or AD, or police, or a ****ung garbage man. They are despicable human brings for doing nothing, and in at least one case they not just did nothing they ****ung helped him.
First off, no-one so far has suggested that the AD and Schultz are not despicable for essentially covering the matter up (or that Sandusky should spend the rest of his life in prison). The consensus is also that Paterno should have done more, as well as potentially the graduate student himself.

However, there is stuff worth working through here apart from simply screaming "BURN THEM ALL" in terms of what the legal obligations were, the sequence of events, and who exactly was involved.
LuckyLloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:47 PM   #165
LuckyLloyd
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
LuckyLloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: There's always next year...
Posts: 10,794
Re: So Bad It's Not LOL: Penn State Covers Up For a Pedophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oski View Post
Well, fortunately the law is cited in the Grand Jury indictment:

(I have OCR for Acrobat, but I can't seem to copy and paste) 23 Pa.C.S. Section 6311 (Child Protective Services Law) provides that when a staff member reports abuse, the person "in charge of the school or institution has the responsibility and legal obligation to report or cause such a report to be made by telephone and in writing within 48 hours to the Department of Public Welfare .... "

JoPa would not be required to report under that statute; I am sure he was required to report to his superior under school policy.
Oski - I've already put the above section of the report in the thread!
LuckyLloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:48 PM   #166
VayaConDios
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
VayaConDios's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hi, I got a tape I want to play you
Posts: 15,855
So JoePa isn't a criminal, just a huge scumbag
VayaConDios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:49 PM   #167
Bertrand Balzac
newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 37
Re: So Bad It's Not LOL: Penn State Covers Up For a Pedophile

I know all you Penn State haters want to tar the entire institution with the Sandusky Brush, but it ain't going to happen: http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...tml#incart_mce:

"Penn State head football coach Joe Paterno did the right thing and reported an eye-witness report of child sex abuse by Jerry Sandusky in the football locker room in 2002, according to the indictment released this morning by the state Attorney General.

A source close to the investigation tells The Patriot-News that Paterno will not be charged, and will be a prosecution witness who will testify.

Friday, Sandusky was charged with 40 counts of child sex crimes, and this morning athletic director Tim Curley and vice president Gary Schultz were charged with perjury and failure to report a crime.

The sources said the deputy state prosecutor handling the case said that Paterno did the right thing, and handled himself appropriately in 2002 and during the three-year investigation that ended Friday."

The Harrisburg "Patriot" has been following this story since March of this year. Paterno testified before the grand jury, and is considered to be a key prosecution witness, probably in the perjury cases of his superiors Curley and Schultz.
Bertrand Balzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:50 PM   #168
gobbomom
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
gobbomom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: gobboville
Posts: 7,258
Re: So Bad It's Not LOL: Penn State Covers Up For a Pedophile

not really Lloyd. "burn them all" seems pretty appropriate given the circumstances. Parsing the charges, or equivocating the circumstances is pretty dumb, so why are you doing that?
gobbomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:50 PM   #169
LuckyLloyd
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
LuckyLloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: There's always next year...
Posts: 10,794
Re: So Bad It's Not LOL: Penn State Covers Up For a Pedophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by VayaConDios View Post
So JoePa isn't a criminal, just a huge scumbag
In an institution full of huge scumbags it seems.
LuckyLloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:50 PM   #170
bronx bomber
veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,110
Re: So Bad It's Not LOL: Penn State Covers Up For a Pedophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loretta8 View Post
yeah, i know all the details there

was just making the point that if Penn State fires everyone and hires a good coach they can easily recover from this
Are you serious? Football has to be the ultimate macho sport. No kid is going to want to play there for years until this fades from the public eye IMO. Any top tier talent is going to be recruited by multiple schools. I guarantee this will be brought up at every school this kid visits.

And if it's true that Paterno watched this guy bring kids to practice he needs to be fired today. The sad thing is I think people are going to pity Paterno here when the real victims are the kids.
bronx bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:51 PM   #171
Oski
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Oski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Anti-Vermin Seed
Posts: 12,996
Re: So Bad It's Not LOL: Penn State Covers Up For a Pedophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBTHorton View Post
All of this JoePA should he have reported it blah blah stuff is all bull**** anyway.

He saw a grown man, who he had major evidence of sexually assaulting a 10 year old boy, bring an 11 year old boy to practice a few years later and didn't ****ing kill the guy. He deserves to be fired. That's ****ing insane.
Yeah, the part about the kid at practice is not in the Grand Jury report, nor has it been mentioned in the news articles I have read. I would like to see this "fact" verified before you guys start the witch hunt.

Also, Sandusky had emeritus status at Penn State. That means that even after retiring as a football coach (actually pushed out by Paterno) Sandusky had access to all campus buildings and the football program had no jurisdiction over him.

The football team had a rule that Sandusky could not bring children with him to football facilities. The school admits that could not be enforced given Sandusky's status within the University. (That is in the Grand Jury report) - Page 11 (or around there).
Oski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:52 PM   #172
Franchise 60
deliciously angry
 
Franchise 60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ferocious, isn't he?
Posts: 42,744
Re: So Bad It's Not LOL: Penn State Covers Up For a Pedophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertrand Balzac View Post
I know all you Penn State haters want to tar the entire institution with the Sandusky Brush, but it ain't going to happen: http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...tml#incart_mce:

"Penn State head football coach Joe Paterno did the right thing and reported an eye-witness report of child sex abuse by Jerry Sandusky in the football locker room in 2002, according to the indictment released this morning by the state Attorney General.

A source close to the investigation tells The Patriot-News that Paterno will not be charged, and will be a prosecution witness who will testify.

Friday, Sandusky was charged with 40 counts of child sex crimes, and this morning athletic director Tim Curley and vice president Gary Schultz were charged with perjury and failure to report a crime.

The sources said the deputy state prosecutor handling the case said that Paterno did the right thing, and handled himself appropriately in 2002 and during the three-year investigation that ended Friday."

The Harrisburg "Patriot" has been following this story since March of this year. Paterno testified before the grand jury, and is considered to be a key prosecution witness, probably in the perjury cases of his superiors Curley and Schultz.
lol pretty sure your AD and vice president being charged with perjury and covering up your long time coach raping young boys on campus has appropriately covered the entire institution with tar.
Franchise 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:53 PM   #173
LuckyLloyd
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
LuckyLloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: There's always next year...
Posts: 10,794
Re: So Bad It's Not LOL: Penn State Covers Up For a Pedophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobbomom View Post
not really Lloyd. "burn them all" seems pretty appropriate given the circumstances. Parsing the charges, or equivocating the circumstances is pretty dumb, so why are you doing that?
How so? That is exactly what will happen in court. Also, I'm not "equivocating" anything. This is a huge sports story that may have significant consequences for a giant program, so I want to know exactly what happened rather than just rant about how morally bankrupt they all are - as that is a given.
LuckyLloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:54 PM   #174
Oski
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Oski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Anti-Vermin Seed
Posts: 12,996
Re: So Bad It's Not LOL: Penn State Covers Up For a Pedophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
Oski - I've already put the above section of the report in the thread!
Yeah, I see. However, you put it under a list of people "that failed to act." That is a gross mischaracterization given the fact certain people's actions are certainly bound by University policy. They did act. The people up the chain failed them.
Oski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:54 PM   #175
onesteptheface
twostepdatazz
 
onesteptheface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 624
Re: So Bad It's Not LOL: Penn State Covers Up For a Pedophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loretta8 View Post
yeah, not to mention, if you're an elected official in central Pennsylvania, and you want to charge living legend Joe Paterno with being complicit in a child rape case, your evidence has to be air ****ing tight and completely indisputable or your career is over
In central Pennsylvania I would imagine they take the rape of children just as serious as anywhere else in this country.

I sincerely hope that no one in law enforcement would be worried about their own career while investigating a prominent figures involvement in sweeping this under the rug.

I think when it comes to investigating child molestation that the "living legend" status goes out the window.

If you were in Joe Pa's position would you of called the police?

Or would you have just told your boss and forgotten about it?
onesteptheface is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.33 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ę 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online