Hello again, baseball fans! Our long winter is finally over, and Grapefruit and Cactus League play has begun! That means it's time for the 2nd annual 2+2 MLB PEEHS contest!
Congrats to last year's podium:
1st place: Vilica
2nd place: DrunkIrish05
3rd place: Losing all
We had 42 entries last year, I think we can get to at least 60 this year! Last year's thread can be found here
I've never played PEEHS, what is it?
PEEHS is a fun, free futures contest. You answer all the questions before the season starts, and your answer will either be correct or incorrect. If you are correct, then your score is the number of people who chose your answer. If you are incorrect, your score is the SHEEP answer (most popular correct) + the number of different correct answers submitted. Lowest score wins.
So PEEHS rewards those of you who submit a correct answer guessed by as FEW of the other contestants as possible.
Research is allowed, and you can enter or change your entry up until first pitch Sunday, April 2nd.
How do I enter?
Anyone can enter by sending me a single-spaced, non-numbered pm with your answers.
Please correctly spell first and last names for players, and just use team mascots for teams.
Please refer to the team in Oakland as "Athletics" (not A's) and the team in Baltimore as "Orioles" (not O's). If you answer "New York" or "Chicago," you're going in the club.
I have decided to remove the "only use the same player twice" requirement. I think it dilutes the potential punishment of going for an obvious answer. So, if you want to guess a certain, unnamed, ichthyoid Angels center fielder a bunch, be my guest.
All stats are from the 2017 regular season, inclusive of the date specified.
On to the questions!
1. Name a team to win their game on Opening Day (for most teams) Monday, April 3
2. Name a player to steal 4 bases by April 23
3. Name a player with a .290 batting average (min 40 PA) by April 30
4. Name a player with an OPS over .950 (min 50 PA) by May 7
5. Name a pitcher with 5 Wins by May 21
6. Name a starting pitcher with an ERA below 2.40 (min 30 IP) by June 4
7. Name a hitter with 12 Home Runs by June 11
8. Name a team that will have swept a 3- or 4-game series on the road by June 18
9. Name any position player with 5.0 Defensive Runs Saved by July 2
10. Name a team in last place (or tied for last) in their division by the All Star break, July 10
11. Name a participant in the 2017 Home Run Derby
12. Name a position player or DH to be named to the AL All Star Team
13. Name a pitcher (SP or RP) to be named to the NL All Star Team
14. Name a closer with 20 saves by July 23
15. Name a team in the top 8 for bases on balls drawn (by hitters) by August 6
16. Name a team in the best 8 for fewest Runs Allowed by August 20
17. Name a hitter or pitcher with 5.0 Wins Above Replacement (Fangraphs) by September 3
18. Name a team that would be in the playoffs if the season ended on September 17
***End of Season Questions***
19. Name a hitter with 35 Home Runs
20. Name a hitter with 100 Runs Scored
21. Name a hitter with 100 Runs Batted In
22. Name a starting pitcher with a WHIP below 1.100 (min 140 IP)
23. Name a starting pitcher with 200 K's
24. Name a starting pitcher with 20 Quality Starts (6+ IP, < 3 ER)
25. Name a team with a negative run differential (0 = incorrect)
Monday April 3rd schedule:
If you plan to eventually enter, just post "in" itt and I'll remind you as we get closer to Opening Day.
Let us baseball!